ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EJ Warner To Rice

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Good for him for ending up at an elite university. Rice is basically the Harvard of Texas. He isn't power football material so might as well get his degree at a top tier university and setting himself up to go to like an Ivy League school or something for grad school.

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet
Think he is very talented but that is a quality school to graduate from.

He could light it up out there and still end up in the NFL, good luck to him.

Good for him for ending up at an elite university. Rice is basically the Harvard of Texas. He isn't power football material so might as well get his degree at a top tier university and setting himself up to go to like an Ivy League school or something for grad school.
Worst case scenario.

Great academic institution. Football: not so much. With the way some folks were posting about him thought he we a shoe in for $1MM NIL deal and starting qb spot for Bama.

GO RU

Reactions: eddynyse
Very odd.. i was just looking at his pass attempts, completion, td, etc and was like... if we could get a kid like this we would win at least 2-3 more games.
Would that have been Wisc and Iowa- not sure any QB with our roster was going to win that day. And same with Maryland. That loss was not on the QB
Or is he going to be the difference against Mich/OSU

Reactions: satnom
EJ might be looking at life after graduation and feels making the Pro game is a gamble, but the academic reputation Rice has might help him open the doors needed to become a success in the corporate world.
Also Rice seems to be improving in football , slowly becoming better every year.
Warner might feel playing there he can be part of a program in the rise while being in an academic environment that could lead to a better life outside of football when he graduates.

Great academic institution. Football: not so much. With the way some folks were posting about him thought he we a shoe in for $1MM NIL deal and starting qb spot for Bama.

GO RU
I think that everyone's view of qb play has been skewed by the awful play of ours hence the lofty comments.

that said, he can play though

Would that have been Wisc and Iowa- not sure any QB with our roster was going to win that day. And same with Maryland. That loss was not on the QB
I disagree on wisc and iowa but agree on md. still it doesn't help when well....you know

I was thinking for next year but for this season Yes, Iowa and Wisc. We could have had a chance against Maryland with a Qb that could throw the ball a bit more. Also, more competitive against Michigan and Penn State.

Obviously this is all speculation and highly subjective since I'm a RU fan..:>)

But until I saw the number I didn't realize how much growth GW will need to do for us to have a successful season next year (7-8 wins). He only had 1600 yards passing and 9Td and 8 Int. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he is at RU but we need more production from the position. (trust me I'm a QB expert... lol jk)

EJ might be looking at life after graduation and feels making the Pro game is a gamble, but the academic reputation Rice has might help him open the doors needed to become a success in the corporate world.
Also Rice seems to be improving in football , slowly becoming better every year.
Warner might feel playing there he can be part of a program in the rise while being in an academic environment that could lead to a better life outside of football when he graduates.
Yeah I'll never criticize a kid for choosing a college with elite academics like a Rice. Can set himself up nicely for life after football with a degree there and can potentially go for a grad degree at like an Ivy or other top tier university.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I was thinking for next year but for this season Yes, Iowa and Wisc. We could have had a chance against Maryland with a Qb that could throw the ball a bit more. Also, more competitive against Michigan and Penn State.

Obviously this is all speculation and highly subjective since I'm a RU fan..:>)

But until I saw the number I didn't realize how much growth GW will need to do for us to have a successful season next year (7-8 wins). He only had 1600 yards passing and 9Td and 8 Int. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he is at RU but we need more production from the position. (trust me I'm a QB expert... lol jk)
18TD

I think that everyone's view of qb play has been skewed by the awful play of ours hence the lofty comments.

that said, he can play though
I bet in your eyes Warner was good enough to lead RU to wins over Wisc, Iowa and MD maybe even OSU and Mich instead of that “awful” qb play you say we have.

I think you should start a virtual group hug with Shelby and some others.

Geesh.

GO RU

Rice is an elite school that doesn't give a sh*t about football.

My son goes there (was hoping he would choose Rutgers honors but.,.. oh well) and for parents' weekend, first row tickets were $20 on stubhub with all fees. The stadium has an upper level that is never open and the lower level is rarely half full. I spent more time watching Rice games this year than my son.

They had some head scratching losses this year (UConn, USF) but also some NFL quality talent - JT Daniels was having a great season until concussions did him in (he medically retired) and Luke McCaffrey (Christian's brother and transfer from Nebraska) looks to be an NFL quality receiver.

They are getting better and went to a bowl game this year. Their recruiting class was not good - looked to be all 2 stars

They have a young QB who filled in pretty well after Daniels went down (61/96 7 Td/3 Int 636 yards) and seemed to get better with each game - maybe we can grab him :-)

I'm referring to GW passing stats. he had 9 pass Td and 9 rushing td.. by the way GW running ability was underutilized for the Iowa game.
with a QB- you still really need to include all TD's...and Agree- his running was actually underutilized in even more than just the Iowa game

My son went there too. They don’t care about FB but they can get some good talent. Last couple of years they have turned the program around. Last year had JT Daniels and recently Luke McCaffery.

I wouldn’t say they don’t care about football. It’s just not what drives the bus. They upgraded the aesthetics of the stadium this year with brick and their new weight room is quality. They also moved into a harder conference. Their problem is once you take the athletes out their student body doesn’t really care about anything but school. They recruited my daughter and we went there like 5 times. It’s an odd bunch.

I bet in your eyes Warner was good enough to lead RU to wins over Wisc, Iowa and MD maybe even OSU and Mich instead of that “awful” qb play you say we have.

I think you should start a virtual group hug with Shelby and some others.

Geesh.

GO RU

Eh I don’t know. I don’t think a pocket passer type is what our offense needs. I wouldn’t have expected us to go after him unless we brought in a full back and shifted the whole offensive scheme to pro style. But that’s not really Kirk’s thing. We want a dual threat guy. There will be plenty of them in the portal to look at to compete with Gavin.

with a QB- you still really need to include all TD's...and Agree- his running was actually underutilized in even more than just the Iowa game
No you don’t. QBs need to sustain drives. Running or passing. Yards matters most. Passing TDs are an indicator of production too.

Running TDs by a QB are not a good indicator because most of those short TD runs could have been scored by a RB instead.

For example, Jalen Hurts’ shove TDs don’t suggest he’s a good QB at all. Handoffs could just as easily be scores.

Sure there are exceptions like the Indiana run, but for the most part QB running TDs aren’t a measure of performance

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT