ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

If the barrage of quotes attributed to Nick Fuentes are even half true, he's not exactly a wonderful human. Or even just human. He appears to qualify mostly as an major asstard.

Musk can do what he wants with twitter. I don't much care. But as a TSLA shareholder, I feel he should step down and let someone who doesn't want to pal around with white supremacist asshats, anti-Semites and neo-Nazis run Tesla. The Fuentes thing is just the latest in a nonstop batch of bad CEO behavior from him.

Given the Musk/twitter/Fuentes news, I'm shocked that @bac2therac hasn't started a thread denouncing Musk and twitter, given just how outspoken Bac has been about Anti-Semitism lately.
careful, you support the Dem party and they openly support terrorists

that said, Musk is Tesla and if steps down, that stock loses 40% easy

stop being dumb

Tesla is a long prop. If you need i

Other then what is going on in China I see no increasing comp. The companies making ev’s are losing crazy amounts of money on each vehicle sold. As for X we should all be thankful he owns it.
Startup costs are always there when a new technology is adopted. Right now, it seems Kia/Hyundai is best positioned to gain more market share. It will be interesting to watch Ford's next move. And the European auto makers should not be counted out. It's still about the 2nd inning in the EV game.

Agree on X. It was horrific under that other hippie freak Dorsey.

careful, you support the Dem party
A card carrying NAMBLA member like you ought not go around making false accusations.

Know what I mean? Probably not. Anyway…

that said, Musk is Tesla and if steps down, that stock loses 40% easy
Uh-huh. The two funniest things about you saying that are (1) you think the stock wouldn’t recover from it’s post-Musk dip, and (2) you don’t realize that you’re insulting Tesla and every Tesla investor.

Get it? Probably not. Anyway…

stop being dumb
It’s a statistical near-certainty that I could loan you at least 50 IQ points and you’d still not be half as smart as me. The implication will escape you, so I’ll help you to understand. See, I can act dumb or not. You don’t have the choice.

Understand? Probably not. Anyway…

Last edited:

The bitterness towards the EV credits from the same people who whine and cry about China being a threat to us is pretty funny.
LOL crappo cars from China in the U.S. market and the threat the Chicoms pose elsewhere on the globe aren't the same. Try again Ty.

I hate this strategy as a consumer. It's not just Tesla... other automakers are doing it.

💯

Was just happy to see it wasn't a monthly subscription.

Yet ...they'll probably auto-enroll all owners for that down the line and make them manually opt out.

I hate this strategy as a consumer. It's not just Tesla... other automakers are doing it.
True. But most people react with mild irritation to it.

Whereas undignified Teslerati will swoon over it and prostrate themselves in Elon’s general direction. Some of the adoration comments I see across the internet are unbelievable. What compels people to behave that way?

LOL crappo cars from China in the U.S. market and the threat the Chicoms pose elsewhere on the globe aren't the same. Try again Ty.

And somehow the point went right over your head.

It's not about selling cheap cars here. It's about allowing China to continue to make advancements in EVs and those applications beyond just cars. People whine about China stealing our tech, our secrets, corporate espionage, etc. But then turn around and say, you know what, **** the EV market, stop all government assistance in that field/industry.

20 years from now the people whining about EV tax credits and government assistance will then be whining about how did we let China lap us in EV advancements and the applications beyond just cars.

Last edited:

It's not about selling cheap cars here. It's about allowing China to continue to make advancements in EVs and those applications beyond just cars. People whine about China stealing our tech, our secrets, corporate espionage, etc. But then turn around and say, you know what, **** the EV market, stop all government assistance in that field/industry.

20 years from now the people whining about EV tax credits and government assistance will then be whining about how did we let China lap us in EV advancements and the applications beyond just cars.

They're already pulling well ahead in battery tech.

Reactions: mildone

So the U.S., with the most advanced tech sector and military in the world, supplemented by the richest and most developed industrial and military allies across Europe, Japan, Australia, Canada, Israel will fall behind China? Doubtful. China poses a kinetic military risk to us in the Asian-Pacific sphere, with espionage and through political corruption. EV cars aren't the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2

So the U.S., with the most advanced tech sector and military in the world, supplemented by the richest and most developed industrial and military allies across Europe, Japan, Australia, Canada, Israel will fall behind China? Doubtful. China poses a kinetic military risk to us in the Asian-Pacific sphere, with espionage and through political corruption. EV cars aren't the problem.
You are more than a little bit off base here, and your scattershot arguments are missing a precise point. We are talking about EV manufacturing and advancement--a nascent but growing industry. It takes time and investment of $$$ by corporations and governments (federal, state and local) to foster advancement of nascent industries. This is not something new. How do you expect the US to compete in EVs against China when the Chinese government heavily subsidizes EV manufacturing?

The same applies to chip making, which I brought up above. Why do you think the CHIPS and Science act was passed? Because the US needs more chipmaking capacity in the United States. Currently chipmaking is dominated in Asia, particularly Taiwan, which is under an impending thread of takeover by China. Are you opposed to these government subsidies?

And what about subsidies for building the Barnabas Athletic training facility on Livingston campus? Are you against those subsidies?

Or are you against only subsidies to industries that you have some sort of inherent (or learned) bias/hatred towards?

Not flaming you. Just trying to understand where you are coming from. Governments invest in a multitude of industries, through direct subsidies and tax breaks to corporations, research at Universities, and tax breaks to consumers to stimulate demand in some industries. This is not unique to EVs.

Last edited:
You are more than a little bit off base here, and your scattershot arguments are missing precise point. We are talking about EV manufacturing and advancement--a nascent but growing industry. It takes time and investment of $$$ by corporations and governments (federal, state and local) to foster advancement of nascent industries. This is not something new. How do you expect the US to compete in EVs against China when the Chinese government heavily subsidizes EV manufacturing?

The same applies to chip making, which I brought up above. Why do you think the CHIPS and Science act was passed? Because the US needs more chipmaking capacity in the United States. Currently chipmaking is dominated in Asia, particularly Taiwan, which is under an impending thread of takeover by China. Are you opposed to these government subsidies?

And what about subsidies for building the Barnabas Athletic training facility on Livingston campus? Are you against those subsidies?

Or are you against only subsidies to industries that you have some sort of inherent (or learned) bias/hatred towards?

Not flaming you. Just trying to understand where you are coming from. Governments invest in a multitude of industries, through direct subsidies and tax breaks to corporations, research at Universities, and tax breaks to consumers to stimulate demand in some industries. This is not unique to EVs.

And all those things can impact the military he decided to focus so narrowly on.

Off-grid power storage and supply?

Near-silent electric mobility tech won't be of use to the military?

Batteries not only for vehicles but hardware of all sizes?

EvTOLs?

Autonomous drive systems predicated on e-motors and chips?

Robotic vehicles?

Reactions: Knight Shift

You're wasting your time. He's not interested in opposing views or logic or fact. He's been handed his marching orders and he's gonna march.

And that's fine, if that's what he wants to do. Each to their own. But it's a waste of time to attempt to reason with people who engage in that sort of behavior.

And all those things can impact the military he decided to focus so narrowly on.

EvTOLs?

Robotic vehicles?
Fire departments are now using battery-powered tools for motor vehicle extrication and rescue. Traditionally these tools (cutters and spreaders (known as the "Jaws of Life") were powered by a gas-powered hydraulic 'porta-power" and hydraulic hoses, which could be cumbersome to set up with the hoses and separate power source. Now, the tasks can be completed with one piece of equipment, a battery powered tool. And these are not your consumer drills, saws powered by batteries. These are massive tools.

Robotic vehicles?
This is probably the biggest thing. For defense purposes we can't let China get out to a huge lead in autonomous machinery, and cars are the forefront of that.

We bitch all the time that everything is made in China, and we saw how that can be an issue when supply chains got all effed up during Covid.

You are more than a little bit off base here, and your scattershot arguments are missing precise point. We are talking about EV manufacturing and advancement--a nascent but growing industry. It takes time and investment of $$$ by corporations and governments (federal, state and local) to foster advancement of nascent industries. This is not something new. How do you expect the US to compete in EVs against China when the Chinese government heavily subsidizes EV manufacturing?

Talk about scattershot arguments and missing precise 'point', you're rambling on about RU athletics and other university investment policies based on your apparent theory that EV's are the turning point in allowing China to somehow dominate the world. But I guess it's better than your silly notion that eliminating the $7,500 tax credits on EV in the U.S., that almost exclusively benefit the wealthy, would lead to Chinese EV's dominating the US EV car market.

I am not opposed to smart government/public investment in advancing technology. Yeh, I know why the US Chips Act was passed-don't be a jackass. I don't have any specific opposition to the goals of that government investing (but sure don't have a high level of confidence in Joey Biden's Admin implementing it effectively). Just because you're happy with giving (and getting) the wealthy a $7,500 tax break on an EV car when the nationwide EV charging infrastructure, logistics and mass market economics are decades away from reaching levels needed to support EV critical mass doesn't mean that's the right public policy that taxpayers should be subsidizing. Maybe your buddy who did the free solar panel installation work on your home would volunteer the same for others? Can he handle all the work in Bedford-Stuyvesant?

How do you think the US has competed against China in all areas of technology? Layout a precise plan of government spending in EV and how that would work to save the world from the Chicoms. I really want to hear your precise arguments that support your grand theory.

I've posted a zillion times here I am for cleaner and greener across-the-board, but of course you're 'not flaming' by insinuating I only oppose subsidies for somethings based on an inherent bias. LOL.

Talk about scattershot arguments and missing precise 'point', you're rambling on about RU athletics and other policies based on your apparent theory that EV's are the turning point in allowing China to somehow dominate the world. But I guess it's better than your silly notion that eliminating the $7,500 tax credits on EV in the U.S., that almost exclusively benefit the wealthy, would lead to Chinese EV's dominating the US EV car market.

I am not opposed to smart government/public investment in advancing technology. Yeh, I know why the US Chips Act was passed-don't be a jackass. I don't have any specific opposition to the goals of that government investing (but sure don't have a high level on confidence in Joey Biden's Admin implementing it effectively). Just because you're happy with giving (and getting) the wealthy a $7,500 tax break on an EV car when the nationwide EV charging infrastructure, logistics and mass market economics are decades away from reaching levels needed to support EV critical mass doesn't mean that's the right public policy that taxpayers should be subsidizing. Maybe your buddy who did the free solar panel installation work on your home would volunteer the same for others? Can he handle all the work in Bedford-Stuyvesant?

How do you think the US has competed against China in all areas of technology? Layout a precise plan of government spending in EV and how that would work to save the world from the Chicoms. I really want to hear your precise arguments that support your grand theory.

I've posted a zillion times here I am for cleaner and greener across-the-board, but of course you're 'not flaming' by insinuating I only oppose subsidies for somethings based on an inherent bias. LOL.
I said nothing nothing about turning points or dominating the world, sport. You are hilarious. And waaayy off base. Turn off Hannity and Newsmax and free your mind a bit. I have worked in tech, research and development and protection of intellectual property for several decades.

You do realize that the $7,500 tax credit is capped for those making $200K/year or less. Not exactly wealthy on the coasts, is it?

We agree that the current administration pretty much clusterf's nearly everything it touches. Probably everything, and nearly everything is weighted down with all sorts of identitarian idiotic policies. So much so, a Taiwanese company pulled back on their investments in Phoenix because they could not meet the DEI requirements of the Act. But we digress. Let's not let ham-handed policies of one administration throw cold water on investment in nascent and key future industries.

Free solar panel installation? Where the hell do you get your facts from? You have a wild imagination. That installation was very far from free, but here is a 6-6.5 year pay off period, after which, we will be living with a zero electric bill. That's called smart investment in technology. But I'm sure you hate solar energy too.

I said nothing nothing about turning points or dominating the world, sport. You are hilarious. And waaayy off base. Turn off Hannity and Newsmax and free your mind a bit. I have worked in tech, research and development and protection of intellectual property for several decades.

You do realize that the $7,500 tax credit is capped for those making $200K/year or less. Not exactly wealthy on the coasts, is it?

We agree that the current administration pretty much clusterf's nearly everything it touches. Probably everything, and nearly everything is weighted down with all sorts of identitarian idiotic policies. So much so, a Taiwanese company pulled back on their investments in Phoenix because they could not meet the DEI requirements of the Act. But we digress. Let's not let ham-handed policies of one administration throw cold water on investment in nascent and key future industries.

Free solar panel installation? Where the hell do you get your facts from? You have a wild imagination. That installation was very far from free, but here is a 6-6.5 year pay off period, after which, we will be living with a zero electric bill. That's called smart investment in technology. But I'm sure you hate solar energy too.
Nah, I'm not off base at all, unless you've flip-flopped on your hallowed $7,500 EV tax break incentive position. What does Hannity and Newsmax say about this? I wouldn't know. Funny you default to the typical lib passive aggressive insults when you can't support your arguments. Weak.

Did you not say that you had a buddy who installed your home solar panels for free (maybe it was at cost--I really don't commit your posts to memory), remind me. And it's your low-cost solar-generated electricity that made the financial difference in your costs analysis, including charging, for your EV purchase, right?

It costs about $4k to install a solar system in Australia that would cost $30k here, and they can get it done in about a week or two. They deal easier with China for panels, don’t have as much governmental red tape and seem actually interested in improving energy prices. Maybe we can get there someday.

EvTOLs?

Robotic vehicles?
Again, with the theory...who is saying don't invest in these technologies? Why is the $7,500 tax break so sacred around here?

Nah, I'm not off base at all, unless you've flip-flopped on your hallowed $7,500 EV tax break incentive position. What does Hannity and Newsmax say about this? I wouldn't know. Funny you default to the typical lib passive aggressive insults when you can't support your arguments. Weak.

Did you not say that you had a buddy who installed your home solar panels for free (maybe it was at cost--I really don't commit your posts to memory), remind me. And it's your low-cost solar-generated electricity that made the financial difference in your costs analysis, including charging, for your EV purchase, right?
Dude, how many times do I have to say it. Nothing was free with our solar. It cost a LOT. A real lot. I did the installation of our home charger for our EV with a friend, and that cost a lot too. I don't ask my friends to work for free, and the materials were expensive.

And we would have charged from home without the solar. We just took advantage of the current tax advantages of installing solar and buying the EVs (one a plug-in hybrid) available to us at the time. I also stated at the time, that perhaps those incentives should includes means testing to exclude the so-called "wealthy," which is now the case. So no, that did not make any financial difference. But we are saving bucket loads of money with two EVs. Our spend on gasoline is down at least $5,000/year, and it cost us nothing to charge our vehicles. That is called WINNING.

Funny thing about solar. It was about 10 times more expensive to install in NJ than it was in Arizona. We installed a smaller system (not that much smaller) for less than $10K here. In NJ is was multiples more, but with the federal tax incentives, it brought the cost down to about 5-6 times the cost in Arizona. Not sure why that is the case. The labor is not that less expensive in Arizona.

lib? Far from it. But go on with your narratives. . . . .

You're wasting your time. He's not interested in opposing views or logic or fact. He's been handed his marching orders and he's gonna march.

And that's fine, if that's what he wants to do. Each to their own. But it's a waste of time to attempt to reason with people who engage in that sort of behavior.
Except I'm actually asking for specifics and details to consider, which always was your downfall in the free CE dayz. Fail.

What marching orders am I marching to? Again, details please.

Dude, how many times do I have to say it. Nothing was free with our solar. It cost a LOT. A real lot. I did the installation of our home charger for our EV with a friend, and that cost a lot too. I don't ask my friends to work for free, and the materials were expensive.

And we would have charged from home without the solar. We just took advantage of the current tax advantages of installing solar and buying the EVs (one a plug-in hybrid) available to us at the time. I also stated at the time, that perhaps those incentives should includes means testing to exclude the so-called "wealthy," which is now the case. So no, that did not make any financial difference. But we are saving bucket loads of money with two EVs. Our spend on gasoline is down at least $5,000/year, and it cost us nothing to charge our vehicles. That is called WINNING.

Funny thing about solar. It was about 10 times more expensive to install in NJ than it was in Arizona. We installed a smaller system (not that much smaller) for less than $10K here. In NJ is was multiples more, but with the federal tax incentives, it brought the cost down to about 5-6 times the cost in Arizona. Not sure why that is the case. The labor is not that less expensive in Arizona.

lib? Far from it. But go on with your narratives. . . . .
I'll have to try and look it up at some point since it seems you're changing your story , but I also recall you posting a summary cost analysis of your EV d-m.

I said your passive aggressive insults are very lib-fact.

• Haha
Was at a new shopping center in Morris County. Few observations:

-Pleased it had free charging via ChargePoint although they only installed 2 stations in a fairly large parking lot = seems like even newer centers have a tiny percentage of EV stations relative to the entire parking lot - not a good way to build out a nationwide infrastructure

-Free charging is great but the speed was rather slow - which I’m wondering if it’s by design because why would a shopping center want to foot the electric bill where people can just stop by for charging without spending significant time in the stores. I imagine the goal is to keep shoppers shopping so slow charging helps in that regard - not a good way to drive charging efficiency

Nobody said it was "sacred." But it stimulates EV sales.
So would a $10k or $20k or 100% subsidy lol. You're missing the point about the lack of infrastructure, logistical challenges and overall lack of economies of scale that are slowing EV sales. Your sacred tax credits are putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

I'll have to try and look it up at some point since it seems you're changing your story , but I also recall you posting a summary cost analysis of your EV d-m.

I said your passive aggressive insults are very lib-fact.
OK, Inspector Clueless. Look it up. I used the word "free" with respect to I get "free fuel" at my house because of the solar power.

So would a $10k or $20k or 100% subsidy lol. You're missing the point about the lack of infrastructure, logistical challenges and overall lack of economies of scale that are slowing EV sales. Your sacred tax credits are putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.
Nope, not missing any points at all. Consumers can make their own appropriate choices as they always have. It's no secret about the charging infrastructure. There a lots of people that live in private homes who can use an EV as a daily commuter vehicle like me that will not use the EV for long trips because of charging infrastructure issues. You are conflating things bigly here.

Overall lack of economies of scale that are slowing EV sales? That is the problem, the EV makers need to develop economies of scale, and that is what tax incentives help with in nascent industries. There is nothing sacred or cart like about the tax credits. Believe it or not, what we are doing in our home is also fostering energy independence, by harnessing the sun (it's free after the payback) to power our home and charge our vehicles. But the knuckleheaded right wingers can't see past their idiotic talking points on this because it is something "progressives" support.

Yeh 'Inspector Clueless', aren't you hilarious with another example of your lib defense mechanisms--you know accusing others of what you actually are.
You're just mad because you are losing the argument. I have no idea what a lib defense mechanism, nor do I care. Try to stay on point. You are saying I said something that I didn't say- that I got my solar installation for free. This has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with something you think I said, which I did not. Good day to you.

Nope, not missing any points at all. Consumers can make their own appropriate choices as they always have. It's no secret about the charging infrastructure. There a lots of people that live in private homes who can use an EV as a daily commuter vehicle like me that will not use the EV for long trips because of charging infrastructure issues. You are conflating things bigly here.

Overall lack of economies of scale that are slowing EV sales? That is the problem, the EV makers need to develop economies of scale, and that is what tax incentives help with in nascent industries. There is nothing sacred or cart like about the tax credits. Believe it or not, what we are doing in our home is also fostering energy independence, by harnessing the sun (it's free after the payback) to power our home and charge our vehicles. But the knuckleheaded right wingers can't see past their idiotic talking points on this because it is something "progressives" support.
HAAHAHAHA ok back to your totally clueless belief that demand-side tax breaks will save the EV market. You must be the dumbest lawyer around. Well somebody has to be it, congratulations.

You're just mad because you are losing the argument. I have no idea what a lib defense mechanism, nor do I care. Try to stay on point. You are saying I said something that I didn't say- that I got my solar installation for free. This has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with something you think I said, which I did not. Good day to you.

And there you go lying, congratulations- you're now all-in with lib defense mechanisms.

• Haha

HAAHAHAHA ok back to your totally clueless belief that demand-side tax breaks will save the EV market. You must be the dumbest lawyer around. Well somebody has to be it, congratulations.
Wow, you pivot so much, it's hard to keep track. And then you jump to silly conclusions. Nowhere did I say "save", but there you go again putting words in the mouths of others that were never said. You just make a lot of dumb, faulty assumptions and jump to totally incorrect conclusions. You are worse than Colin Ferguson defending himself in court.

Last edited:

Wow, you pivot so much, it's hard to keep track. And then you jump to silly conclusions. Nowhere did I say "save", but there you go again putting words in the mouths of others that where never said. You just make a lot of dumb, faulty assumptions and jump to totally incorrect conclusions. You are worse than Colin Ferguson defending himself in court.

Again with the lib defense mechanism of accusing others of what you do. You first got your panties in a bunch when I disagreed with your take on a policy proposal to eliminate the $7500 tax subsidy on EVs, and you linked an article that posited this would lead to China EVs dominating the US EV market. Then you slid back under your rock after being schooled until Ty came out posting the theory that without these tax EV subsidies, China would eventually dominate the world lol. Now you zig zag back to the EV demand-side tax subsidies being critical to US EV success when the entire infrastructure for EV's in this country is clogged and uneconomical. Just keep stuffing the EV clowns in the same EV clown car Knightie lol.

Again with the lib defense mechanism of accusing others of what you do. You first got your panties in a bunch when I disagreed with your take on policy proposal to eliminate the $7500 tax subsidy on EVs, and you linked an article that posited this would lead to China EVs dominating the US EV market. Then you slid back under your rock after being schooled until Ty came out posting the theory that without these tax EV subsidies, China would eventually dominate the world lol. Now you zig zag back to the EV demand-side tax subsidies being critical to US EV success when the entire infrastructure for EV's in this country is clogged and uneconomical. Just keep stuffing the EV clowns in the same EV clown car Knightie lol.
Nope, nope, nope, and nope.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

Lose Old School GIF by PlayStation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT