ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hamilton Station

Not really. It’s easier and quicker to get to the Hamilton Station from 295 than it is to get to Princeton Junction from Route 1.
If you re-read @PaKnight's post, you'll find that he was talking about a different topic. A previous poster had said that from Hamilton there are both express trains and those that "make a million stops." @PaKnight was pointing out that that is equally true from Princeton Junction. Yes, you are two stops closer to Penn Station at Princeton Junction than from Hamilton. But there are a lot of trains that make many stops on the way from Princeton Junction to Penn Station just as there are from Hamilton.

We are not hugely worried about all the stops; we won't be in a huge hurry on an evening trip. But it's good to know.

I certainly do agree that, from Cherry Hill, it is a lot easier to get to Hamilton Station than to Princeton Junction. One of my sisters used to live in North Brunswick not far from Route 1. The trip is less of a hassle now that she's moved to Somerset. It's not shorter in time, but at least we don't have to drive on Route 1.

But that is the same for Princeton Junction.
I agree, but OP stated they don't want to drive to princeton. If it were me i'd rather drive to princeton junction as they have more express trains and hamilton has more locals. That's my experience...I used to commute from hamilton years ago.

First, I apologize for starting yet another OT thread during football season.

My wife and I will be going from Cherry Hill to Manhattan the day before Thanksgiving for a couple of days; we will also be going up the following weekend. We would rather not drive; it is over a two hour trip one-way for us. Our tentative plan is to instead drive up 295 to Hamilton Station (we are about thirty miles away) and then take the NJ Transit train to Penn Station. I used to do this pretty regularly, but I haven't since before the pandemic. Is there any reason this might be a problem? A friend suggested that we go instead via Princeton Junction, saying there is plenty of parking there. But that would be a longer auto trip for us since it involves going up Route 1, so I'd like us to use Hamilton unless there is a problem with it. Thanks!
It's the bye week, so I hope it's OK to revive my OT topic.

First, we are not sure whether we will take NJ Transit from Hamilton or Amtrak from 30th Street Station in Philly. The latter is more expensive, but it may be more convenient for a variety of reasons that apply only to old codgers like me. I understand that Moynihan Train Hall has opened right across 8th Avenue, and so things are different in NYC.

It used to be that Amtrak and NJ Transit arrived at Penn Station and that the cabs were on 8th avenue. My understanding is that the cabs are now on 31st street for those arriving at Penn Station or the Moynihan Train Hall are between 8th and 9th -- that is, on the south side of the station. True?

Is this a put on ? An ongoing joke on the gullible like Fieldhouse Al perpetuates ?
No. I haven't been up there in a long time. My wife will be with me and I don't want her to have to walk further than necessary. So I'm trying to figure out in advance exactly where we will be going and how to get there.

asking which side of PS the cabs line up on seems like a bs question. With all due respect, does knowing that in advance truly matter to you ?

As an infamous politician once said, “what difference does it make “? You will Figure it out in 20 seconds when you get there, even without a compass.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
asking which side PS the cabs line up seems like a bs question. With all due respect, does knowing that in advance truly matter to you ?
Yes. I want to know which side of the station the cabs are on. It's a big building that covers more than a city block. We're not as young as you are. Why is it so unreasonable to ask that?

Yes. I want to know which side of the station the cabs are on. It's a big building that covers more than a city block. We're not as young as you are. Why is it so unreasonable to ask that?
Not unreasonable, but unnecessary. I am sure you will figure it out in no time. Your uncertainty about other travel seemed reasonable. This seemed like a gag.

1. Disembark
2. Follow crowd upstairs
3. Follow signage or ask

I’m no spring chicken either, but c’mon now

It's the bye week, so I hope it's OK to revive my OT topic.

First, we are not sure whether we will take NJ Transit from Hamilton or Amtrak from 30th Street Station in Philly. The latter is more expensive, but it may be more convenient for a variety of reasons that apply only to old codgers like me. I understand that Moynihan Train Hall has opened right across 8th Avenue, and so things are different in NYC.

It used to be that Amtrak and NJ Transit arrived at Penn Station and that the cabs were on 8th avenue. My understanding is that the cabs are now on 31st street for those arriving at Penn Station or the Moynihan Train Hall are between 8th and 9th -- that is, on the south side of the station. True?
Correct, though they still have cabs on 8th avenue and 33rd Street. Just use the Moynihan Train Hall because Penn Station is under Construction as it’s being redone.

If you’re going by Amtrak, buy your tickets as early as possible. You can download the app to your smartphone.

Not unreasonable, but unnecessary. I am sure you will figure it out in no time. Your uncertainty about other travel seemed reasonable. This seemed like a gag.

1. Disembark
2. Follow crowd upstairs
3. Follow signage or ask

I’m no spring chicken either, but c’mon now
Why should I have to ask there or look for signage that may not exist when the answer ought to be readily available here?? I'm sure tons of people here use Moynihan Train Hall. Like you say, "c'mon now."

Correct, though they still have cabs on 8th avenue and 33rd Street. Just use the Moynihan Train Hall because Penn Station is under Construction as it’s being redone.

If you’re going by Amtrak, buy your tickets as early as possible. You can download the app to your smartphone.
Thanks! I see the trains that I might want already are 40% full -- I'll decide this weekend.

Thanks in particular for letting me know about Penn Station being under construction. I didn't know. Moynihan Train Hall didn't exist when I last used the train up there.

Reactions: rutgersal
Thanks! I see the trains that I might want already are 40% full -- I'll decide this weekend.

Thanks in particular for letting me know about Penn Station being under construction. I didn't know. Moynihan Train Hall didn't exist when I last used the train up there.
Happy to help. You’ll love Moynihan Train Station. It’s a First Class Experience and what train travel should be. Penn Station is a bit of a mess right now but should be very nice once it’s done.

Why should I have to ask there or look for signage that may not exist when the answer ought to be readily available here?? I'm sure tons of people here use Moynihan Train Hall. Like you say, "c'mon now."
ok, if that’s how you roll. seemed like a silly question to me.

if your next quest takes you to Wegman’s, I’ll let you know now so you don’t have to ask here: the milk is along the back wall.

don’t mean to offend you, but again I say c’mon now.

Hope you and your better half enjoy the excursion.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Happy to help. You’ll love Moynihan Train Station. It’s a First Class Experience and what train travel should be. Penn Station is a bit of a mess right now but should be very nice once it’s done.
I'm glad we'll like Moynihan Train Station. As you well know, Penn Station has been a mess ever since demolition of the classic building in 1963. The architecture critic Vincent Scully, Jr. (no relation, so far as I know, to the baseball announcer) once wrote, "One entered the city like a god. One scuttles in now like a rat."

if your next quest takes you to Wegman’s, I’ll let you know now so you don’t have to ask here: the milk is along the back wall.

It seemed like a silly question to you because you're a silly person. You prove it every day on this site.

Reactions: rutgersal
It seemed like a silly question to you because you're a silly person. You prove it every day on this site.
I’m not silly at all. Re: my postings, I just don’t tolerate idiots.

I know you don’t fall into that category, which is why the question perplexed me.

Had Fieldhouse Al asked the question, my response would have been very different.

I’m not silly at all. Re: my postings, I just don’t tolerate idiots.

I know you don’t fall into that category, which is why the question perplexed me.

Had Fieldhouse Al asked the question, my response would have been very different.
We're all entitled to our own view of who is silly and who is an idiot, and the propriety of gratuitously insulting people who aren't even part of the conversation. Have a nice evening!

A keen yet unfamous man once noted some opinions are truths and some imparted ridicule is deserved.

Buenas noches.

Shop-Rite’s can be tricky, though. The one in Wall has the opposite layout to the one in South Plainfield. So, I’d confirm the layout ahead of time if you go into a strange Shp-Rite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT