ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Basement Gym

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
My wife and I both need to get more exercise and, because one of us is immunocompromised, we would prefer not to use a gym regularly. We have an unfinished basement that runs under about half the house. I had a French drain installed a few years and there is a sump pump and so the basement is dry. I am thinking of converting into a place for exercise equipment. What should I be thinking about in deciding whether to do this?

My wife and I both need to get more exercise and, because one of us is immunocompromised, we would prefer not to use a gym regularly. We have an unfinished basement that runs under about half the house. I had a French drain installed a few years and there is a sump pump and so the basement is dry. I am thinking of converting into a place for exercise equipment. What should I be thinking about in deciding whether to do this?

Kind of a vague question. Do you want to know what you should be thinking about in terms of equipment?

Start with a bench and an Olympic set 310 lbs. I would probably add a set dumb bells. You can do a lot with just the basics.

I wouldn't rush to purchase expensive equipment on a home gym given your circumstances. There are so many people who purchased expensive machines that ultimately became a place to hang clothes from. Instead, I would lean towards purchasing an adjustable dumbbell set and bench. I would also watch videos on using the dumbbells, pilates, bodyweight exercises, and yoga. You can always add more expensive equipment if you become more dedicated to your workout regimes.

I wouldn't rush to purchase expensive equipment on a home gym given your circumstances. There are so many people who purchased expensive machines that ultimately became a place to hang clothes from. Instead, I would lean towards purchasing an adjustable dumbbell set. I would also watch videos on using the dumbbells, piates, bodyweight exercises, and yoga. You can always add more expensive equipment if you become more dedicated to your workout regimes.

Who said anything about expensive machines? The basics are cheaper than a year at a gym. He can also buy some used equipment. I see some really reasonable used stuff that looks new on the net. I still have my DP bench that I got as a kid and all my weights. They never go bad. I just kept adding as I needed it.

Reactions: retired711
Who said anything about expensive machines? The basics are cheaper than a year at a gym. He can also buy some used equipment. I see some really reasonable used stuff that looks new on the net. I still have my DP bench that I got as a kid and all my weights. They never go bad. I just kept adding as I needed it.
I wasn't replying to your post. Our posts "crossed in the mail". I was giving the OP general advice.

The OP is a little older than some of us so a full work up is probably something neither he or his wife need.

Some room to stretch (along with a nice thick mat) with rollers, broomstick and some dumbbells is a good start.

I enjoy a treadmill and/or a recumbent bike warm up (although the real thing…walking and biking is better if you can do it) stretching for the whole body and a couple specific muscle group exercises. The last part you two can do with the dumbbells.

We have a setup. I would keep it simple and not invest in any expensive equipment. I follow Jerry Texeira on X (Twitter), and he has a YouTube channel. He has a LOT of body weight exercise content, and at your age (or for any age), this should be sufficient.

Simple things like pushups, pullups (buy a pullup bar and dip station (pretty cheap -under $100)), and do some push ups, tricep pushup (hands close together), air squats, and lunges, and you are in business. If you want, perhaps buy a couple/few different weight kettle bells.

Maybe put down a soft foam floor in your workout area. We bought interlocking tiles from Amazon that look like diamond plate metal, and they have held up well.

If you want some cardio, either go walking, or get your favorite- a tread mill, a concept 2 rowing machine, or an AirDyne type of bike.

You are going to get a range of advice, but start simple. You may also want to check out the content on BeachBody.com. My better half does all her exercises from the various classes (yoga, barre, strength, cardio) offered on Beach Body, and she is in great shape.

Yes, I was too vague. I know we need a treadmill and a recumbent bike. We need the kind of thing that one rotates with one's arms. Yes, we need at least some weights. But I'm more concerned about (and I know I didn't make this clear) is whether there are issues with making the basement a gym that we're not thinking about.

Yes, I was too vague. I know we need a treadmill and a recumbent bike. We need the kind of thing that one rotates with one's arms. Yes, we need at least some weights. But I'm more concerned about (and I know I didn't make this clear) is whether there are issues with making the basement a gym that we're not thinking about.
Good ventilation when you two get your “swole” on. LOL

Put a TV in front of the treadmill/bike and you’ll go longer…first one Seinfeld, than another and maybe another. 🙂

For starters, dumbbells, kettlebells and resistance bands won't take up a lot of space. You can go from light through heavy workouts with those. If you maintain a regular schedule for exercising, then you can add a bench and a weight set. The 1" dia. bars are good for light to moderate loads and the Olympic dia. bars are good through heavy workout loads. Start simple and add as necessary.

We have a setup. I would keep it simple and not invest in any expensive equipment. I follow Jerry Texeira on X (Twitter), and he has a YouTube channel. He has a LOT of body weight exercise content, and at your age (or for any age), this should be sufficient.

Simple things like pushups, pullups (buy a pullup bar and dip station (pretty cheap -under $100)), and do some push ups, tricep pushup (hands close together), air squats, and lunges, and you are in business. If you want, perhaps buy a couple/few different weight kettle bells.

Maybe put down a soft foam floor in your workout area. We bought interlocking tiles from Amazon that look like diamond plate metal, and they have held up well.

If you want some cardio, either go walking, or get your favorite- a tread mill, a concept 2 rowing machine, or an AirDyne type of bike.

You are going to get a range of advice, but start simple. You may also want to check out the content on BeachBody.com. My better half does all her exercises from the various classes (yoga, barre, strength, cardio) offered on Beach Body, and she is in great shape.

eef0454a0ced8f9c1a91c97bc6292221.gif

😜

You need to equip your home gym with things you enjoy, and will therefore use. If you don’t like using a treadmill, it will become an expensive clothes hanger. If you want to get a universal type weight machine that can have multiple uses, you need to make sure the ceiling is high enough and you can fit around it. Same for a treadmill or elliptical—need to consider the height of the ceiling. I’d also recommend a rubberized floor.
I’d also go to a place that sells equipment and lets you try it out.

Is weight training the exercise you seek or would benefit from ? And is that even exercise ? You'll get bored of it quickly in your basement. Get two used bikes and go places with the old lady a couple times a week and once on the weekend. Go for walks a few other days. Fresh air.

If you realize you don't exercise enough, you probably don't have the passion or disposition for it anyway, especially isolated in your basement.

Good ventilation when you two get your “swole” on. LOL

Put a TV in front of the treadmill/bike and you’ll go longer…first one Seinfeld, than another and maybe another. 🙂

I second the TV advice

Treadmills are good but boooring. Add the TV with Netflix and you get the distraction you need so you can walk or run forever

Sorry sir but too many on here may have missed what you said. Myself- we sold our house at the beginning on 2020(covid) and have been renting a house ever since. Similar to you- unfinished basement, plenty of room, level and dry.
What we did was to start with getting a few carpet remnants- It helps with the cushioning. And we then got a good sized workout matt to put on those. I think ours may be 10x10. It fits a treadmill and bike- side by side and leaves room for a large workout ball, bench and some dumbbells

Only issues would be the cold floor. Definitely get those interlocking pads or some kind of mat. Only other issue I have ran into is height. In my basement I can't do over head exercises because of the height issue. I can't think of any other issues you could come across other then moving all the heavy stuff downstairs lol. Good luck

We too have an unfinished basement. I have a bench, barbell and plates, dumbbells, resistance bands, a tread mill, and rowing machine. We have two heavy duty 8’x6’ mats. I would start with dumbbells either adjustable or separate sets maybe 5# to 50# depending on your status and goals. I’d also get resistance bands that give give you a wide range of exercises at a very low cost. (See YouTube for both dumbbell and resistance band videos, I like athlean x) A treadmill is good for cardio but so is walking or jogging outside. I personally wouldn’t start with an Olympic set or expensive equipment. . I like to listen to music rather than watch TV but either is fine. Try to get in a routine and make it part of your daily routine. Good luck and stick with it!

I like to hit the heavy bag and pretend that it's people on this site. Also have a wrestling mat, which is great for floor, stretching, and kegel exercises. The dumbells that adjust by twisting are great and go up to a weight which would be adequate for the old and pencil-necks alike.

My wife is an exercise physiologist and our basement gym we have a treadmill, Nordic track, Concept 2 rower and a Schwinn Airdyne bike.

I think the Airdyne is the best of the 4. I would also walk outside.

We have an Olympic weight set but I would not recommend it for you.

We have Kettlebells of 30,35 and 40 pounds. I think these are worth it. The kettlebells not necessarily at those weights.

We have dumbbells from 1 pound to 50 pounds. I think dumbbells are important to have.

We have bands from 10-60 pounds and as I age, I really like them.

We have a half rack but that is not necessary at my age. I just use it for the bands.

We have a pull up/dip/ abdominal leg raise thing. I have not used it for years.

We have a Pilates board and some type of stretching chair. I use the chair but have never used the Pilates board.

We have all sorts of small gym type stuff that is good for us, but you can find those that work just for you.

I would start with dumbbells, bands and some type of aerobic machine that you like. I would add walking in the nice weather.

I edited to add in response to above my wife wants to add a heavy bag

I think you mean the Airdyne bike.

I second the TV advice

Treadmills are good but boooring. Add the TV with Netflix and you get the distraction you need so you can walk or run forever
We bought a pretty good treadmill for the man cave. At times it’s been just in the way, but we do appreciate it when weather or other circumstances keep us inside. Also, with it in front of the tv, I use it often to offset the high anxiety of watching RU games. Work off the nerves during the game. Drink less!

Have been using our unfinished basement for workouts 40 years. We have always got some water seepage through the seams in the concrete & block. Over time, we have been using a dehumidifier, and also, had a sump pump installed. Some neighbors have had radon mitigation systems installed, but we haven't. After the first 20 years, and since our house seems to be the retention pond for the whole block, my neighbor & I put down about 200' of 4" pipe to facilitate water drainage. I put my equipment in the driest part of the basement. I have a heavy-duty utility bench w/leg attachment, a lat-machine, a hyper extension bench and a squat rack. I primarily use an Olympic bar (45lbs) and the Olympic-style weights. Normally, I do two different weight training circuits three times each. Sometimes, I will cool down with a 5–6-mile bike ride. Best part of all this is being able to get a great workout without interruption and without having to get in my vehicle to go somewhere.

We bought a pretty good treadmill for the man cave. At times it’s been just in the way, but we do appreciate it when weather or other circumstances keep us inside. Also, with it in front of the tv, I use it often to offset the high anxiety of watching RU games. Work off the nerves during the game. Drink less!

Always wanted one, finally bought a treadmill mid Covid like early 2021. I've probably logged well over 1200 miles walking and running. It would be more but my 46 yo old body can't take the beating like it used to. I did run a local 5k one year but I've had to stop a few months at a time for plantar fasciitis and now I've got big toe issues cuz my arches suck. Bought expensive runners, seem to be helping

@retired711 - besides the home gym basics, invest in some expensive running shoes, they're worth it

Always wanted one, finally bought a treadmill mid Covid like early 2021. I've probably logged well over 1200 miles walking and running. It would be more but my 46 yo old body can't take the beating like it used to. I did run a local 5k one year but I've had to stop a few months at a time for plantar fasciitis and now I've got big toe issues cuz my arches suck. Bought expensive runners, seem to be helping

@retired711 - besides the home gym basics, invest in some expensive running shoes, they're worth it
I absolutely agree on shoes -- I also have plantar fasciitis, but it seems to have diminished.

There is no way I'm going to run -- walking is just fine. But good shoes are needed even for that.

Kettle bells of various weights and some sort of gym flooring. A bench that you can adjust.

If you can do more I would also say a squat rack that you can bench on also.

I like to hit the heavy bag and pretend that it's people on this site. Also have a wrestling mat, which is great for floor, stretching, and kegel exercises. The dumbells that adjust by twisting are great and go up to a weight which would be adequate for the old and pencil-necks alike.
If you listened to more aggressive music you would not need to hit the heavy bag.

My wife is an exercise physiologist and our basement gym we have a treadmill, Nordic track, Concept 2 rower and a Schwinn Airdyne bike.

We have Kettlebells of 30,35 and 40 pounds. I think these are worth it. The kettlebells not necessarily at those weights.

We have dumbbells from 1 pound to 50 pounds. I think dumbbells are important to have.

We have a half rack but that is not necessary at my age. I just use it for the bands.

We have a Pilates board and some type of stretching chair. I use the chair but have never used the Pilates board.

We have all sorts of small gym type stuff that is good for us, but you can find those that work just for you.

I would start with dumbbells, bands and some type of aerobic machine that you like. I would add walking in the nice weather.

^^^^^^^^
Pretty much this. We think alike. For the OP, consider space, height and machines you can physically use. Treadmill and recumbent bike are great and relatively inexpensive. If you have a bike with slick tires, you can buy a trainer and just put your bike on it to spin. Dual action machines (arms and legs) are the best bang for the buck IMO. AirDyne, Concept2 rower and elliptical (sitdown or standup) all highly recommended. If I had to select one piece of equipment for a gym, I'd go rower or elliptical but that depends on both your capabilities. Both are always something you can add later as you become more fit and want more challenging equipment. I'd suggest lighter weights/bands/kettle for a variety of muscle toning exercises. You can be very creative to hit all the muscle groups with good circuit/cardio resistance training in a short amount of time. Avoid heavy, strenuous resistance training. Cheap, industrial, thin carpet or interlocking rubber mats for the floor. Music can be as easy as a portable Bluetooth speaker. And dont forget a TV on the wall to watch all the Rutgers sports while you both get in shape. Happy exercising!!

As mentioned…. Make sure your ceiling height works with a treadmill (or elliptical), especially if you plan to run vs walk on it. Height also comes into play for any overhead weight lifting.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
It’s funny- the discussion has so much morphed outside of the OP.
OP is most likely north of 65 and forgive me if wrong- and only really wanted to know if there are good ideas or drawbacks to having a home gym in his dry unfinished basement and maybe ideas of how to make it work.
Talking of tge overhead soace, mats, etc is what he was looking for- don’t think he was thinking of chin ups lol

It’s funny- the discussion has so much morphed outside of the OP.
OP is most likely north of 65 and forgive me if wrong- and only really wanted to know if there are good ideas or drawbacks to having a home gym in his dry unfinished basement and maybe ideas of how to make it work.
Talking of tge overhead soace, mats, etc is what he was looking for- don’t think he was thinking of chin ups lol
You're right; this isn't what I was looking for -- but it's really helpful! And yeah, I am north of 65; I'll be (gulp) 73 in July.

All I can add is maybe retired might want to look at used exercise equipment bike, treadmill and equipment like that.
Don't know if used equipment would be the right price, but might worth checking out if a place that sells used exercise equipment and backs up what they sell can be found.

You're right; this isn't what I was looking for -- but it's really helpful! And yeah, I am north of 65; I'll be (gulp) 73 in July.
It’s funny- age is only in your head.
I’m pushing 62 and my head tells me I’m 40. Ok, the body- I have no idea. My back is a mess, my hip, keeps me awake, etc…
But I walk my dogs 15 miles a week and do another 7-19 miles on my own. I do 2 miles at 4.0 but 10-12 incline on the treadmill and maybe 5 miles a week on the bike. I do kettle and dumbbell weights.
But, just 5 years ago- had a personal trainer 4 hours a week and was able to do crap I don’t even want to think about today. Lol
Just get a few remnants- workout mats and access your area.
Cushion is great- but overhead is the biggest concern. If you are flat and dry, then you should be good.

Be careful of what you put in your basement. Getting it back out is a major ass ache. therefore start slowly and try each piece out before you buy something expensive and you won't use.

Start with some weights a mat and kettle bells. gradually add more as you get into it. Also the best exercise you can do is walking.

I would set it up in your garage if you have the space. We have a 2 car garage and about 60% of it is my gym. High ceilings, space, natural light (cold in winter and hot in summer so that sucks but toughens me up).

I would definitely go for a rower over a treadmill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT