ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Basement Gym

BTW, you don't need to hire trainers. Just watch these guys every morning...

Seniors are not doing pull ups. They are just trying to get fit, not buff.
I’m 63 I do them twice a week. Where are you getting the buff bs? Reread the start with what you can handle part.
Buff would more likely the bench press, kettle bells, bicep curls listed above. Pull-ups will increase your strength and mobility— not buff nonsense

I’m 63 I do them twice a week. Where are you getting the buff bs? Reread the start with what you can handle part.
Buff would more likely the bench press, kettle bells, bicep curls listed above. Pull-ups will increase your strength and mobility— not buff nonsense
How much do you weigh? I would think that most seniors cannot do a meaningful amount of pullups. When I was your age I could do 200 lb lat pulldowns in the gym. I could not, however, do more than one pullup. I weighed about 205 lbs at that time. (Still do.)

Reactions: megadrone
Because you have been doing them all along. You can’t expect an elderly lady to start doing pull ups. Come on. They are just trying to get toned.

Pull ups are great. Just not in this case.

Reactions: batts
Exactly- pu get you toned not jacked up. Start holding the bar and let yourself down slow. You build up strength to gradually do them. You don’t avoid the best overall exercise bc it’s not easy. How easy is benching going to be. Same thing start lite gradually increase.

How much do you weigh? I would think that most seniors cannot do a meaningful amount of pullups. When I was your age I could do 200 lb lat pulldowns in the gym. I could not, however, do more than one pullup. I weighed about 205 lbs at that time. (Still do.)
If you can do 200lb pull downs and can’t do 1 pull-up .. something’s not right.

When I was your age I could do 200 lb lat pulldowns in the gym. I could not, however, do more than one pullup. I weighed about 205 lbs at that time. (Still do.)

Well I'm 418 pounds and can do 17 1 arm pullups with my right arm, but am ashamed I can only do 13 with my left.

Because you have been doing them all along. You can’t expect an elderly lady to start doing pull ups. Come on. They are just trying to get toned.

Pull ups are great. Just not in this case.
Agree- to have a man at least 65 to just start doing pullups, is a bit of a overkill. For what it's work- movement is the key over 60 and work in some of the lighter weights, bands and maybe start doing things like pushups- some core training is key too but pullups...maybe if they work up to it

Well I'm 418 pounds and can do 17 1 arm pullups with my right arm, but am ashamed I can only do 13 with my left.
back when Kevin was with the Jag's at 312lbs- he and E Monroe would have contests with the DB's and WR's with pullups and often beat them.

Generally pull up apparatus have a spot to put your feet to assist. Not that I need that while doing one arm muscle ups.

There were years the only exercises we did were pullups, pushups, sit-ups and ran 2 miles hard around the block. I was never in better shape. We used to do pushups with a deck of cards. 3 cycles 3 card at a time first turn, 2 cards the second and 1 card the last.

My brother and dad did pull-ups for a long time. My dad could do 10 pull ups when he was over 80 and my brother could do 30 when he was in his 60's. He is 67 now and I will have to ask him how many he can do. I know he has shoulder and elbow issues. He is in great physical shape and has always been. Me not so much. My granddaughter has a picture of me at home that she refers to as skinny Pop Pop.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Start simple and inexpensive.
- two sets of 5lb and 10 lb free weights
- two nice mats
- system to play music

You can get these from Amazon

Refer to HIIT workouts linked below

Obviously you’re going to tailor the workout to your physical condition. This is all you need.

If you find your needs are more substantial, you can always invest in more expensive stuff.

Might make sense to hire a trainer to come to your house and help you get started.
While HIT workouts can provide quality exercise, they can be quite dangerous especially for those in the older age groups. And for any age, it's not recommended for anyone to go from basically little/no exercise to high intensity training. The risk of muscle tears, ligament damage, falls and even heart attacks would rise without proper base training and medical screening/clearance. OP...avoid HIT.

Reactions: retired711
Pull-ups pull-ups and more pull-ups. Great for shoulders, arms and esp back.
6’ piece of black pipe at Home Depot and 2 hangers
Ehhhh....pullups quickly turn into an anaerobic exercise which is not the wisest choice in general. Not beneficial for cardiovascular endurance, can raise blood pressure, promotes lactic acid buildup, and is damaging to muscle cells, among others.

Thanks for all the advice! A number of you have suggested I focus on outside walking and use a treadmill only when the weather makes it necessary. Is this because walking on a treadmill is boring or are there other reasons?

Thanks for all the advice! A number of you have suggested I focus on outside walking and use a treadmill only when the weather makes it necessary. Is this because walking on a treadmill is boring or are there other reasons?

Walking outside varies your terrain, and also allows you to select different courses, per se, i.e., one day you can do a short walk which is hilly, another day you can do something longer which is more level. Also, walking a hillier course is good for your leg and core muscles, especially lower back. It has something to do with stabilizing your body as you walk on different angled terrain.

Walking outside varies your terrain, and also allows you to select different courses, per se, i.e., one day you can do a short walk which is hilly, another day you can do something longer which is more level. Also, walking a hillier course is good for your leg and core muscles, especially lower back. It has something to do with stabilizing your body as you walk on different angled terrain.
so much more control of what you are doing as well.the varying terrain is great but you can instantly adjust yourself if you need to. on a treadmill- it is always just a stead incline/decline, adjustment of speed. Walking outside- also gives you the fresh air, it is less boring and the added benefit of just getting out of the house and socializing.

My wife and I both need to get more exercise and, because one of us is immunocompromised, we would prefer not to use a gym regularly. We have an unfinished basement that runs under about half the house. I had a French drain installed a few years and there is a sump pump and so the basement is dry. I am thinking of converting into a place for exercise equipment. What should I be thinking about in deciding whether to do this?

Have you looked into a tonal? More expensive than a home gym, but takes up less space, tons of exercises and classes, and has instructors. I have one as a supplement to when I can’t get to the gym.

Walking outside- also gives you the fresh air, it is less boring and the added benefit of just getting out of the house and socializing.

Yes, meant to mention that, add in the fresh air and sunshine which is also good for a mood booster.

I personally think they are very boring but also don’t like the mechanical nature of them. I think a varied natural walk is better for your body. Plus you get some vitamin d.

Have you looked into a tonal? More expensive than a home gym, but takes up less space, tons of exercises and classes, and has instructors. I have one as a supplement to when I can’t get to the gym.
I didn't know about the Tonal. CNET's review basically says it's good, but probably not for a novice. But it's an interesting idea.

https://www.cnet.com/health/fitness/tonal-review/

Reactions: RUDiddy777
While HIT workouts can provide quality exercise, they can be quite dangerous especially for those in the older age groups. And for any age, it's not recommended for anyone to go from basically little/no exercise to high intensity training. The risk of muscle tears, ligament damage, falls and even heart attacks would rise without proper base training and medical screening/clearance. OP...avoid HIT.
They’re not going to do high intensity, session #1. This is where the value of the trainer comes in. He/she will adapt the workout to what they can do and what is appropriate. Like with anything, they will start slow, then gradually build up.

Till she passed away, Justice Ginsburg was working out with a trainer, which I found very impressive.

They’re not going to do high intensity, session #1. This is where the value of the trainer comes in. He/she will adapt the workout to what they can do and what is appropriate. Like with anything, they will start slow, then gradually build up.

Till she passed away, Justice Ginsburg was working out with a trainer, which I found very impressive.
You wont get an argument about the value of HIT from me. It's the safety component that's most concerning. But how adept is a trainer at assessing the exerciser's personal history, family history, physician records, blood pressure readings, heart rhythm monitoring in response to exercise and cardiac evaluations to see if it is rational to even attempt a HIT workout?. These and other medical questions can often be overlooked quite easily. In my world, it resonates much more when 30 year olds go into cardiac arrest while playing basketball (HIT workout) because of 100% coronary occlusions or an Ironman finisher in his early 40s shows up for some chest discomfort a month after finishing an Ironman to buy himself an open heart, quadruple bypass surgery. The unknowns can be a bitch and its best not to attempt HIT like exercises (unless fully assured its safe) because they can greatly increase blood pressure and heart rates while ultimately reducing coronary perfusion (blood flow to the heart muscle). This requires medical evaluations. I havent used a trainer and respect what they do, but they aren't qualified to evaluate the most pressing questions above to determine the safety of their client if HIT workouts are being incorporated. Risks are overall low in the early years and increase with age but I've seen enough to say the risks are real and can cause significant medical problems.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
You wont get an argument about the value of HIT from me. It's the safety component that's most concerning. But how adept is a trainer at assessing the exerciser's personal history, family history, physician records, blood pressure readings, heart rhythm monitoring in response to exercise and cardiac evaluations to see if it is rational to even attempt a HIT workout?. These and other medical questions can often be overlooked quite easily. In my world, it resonates much more when 30 year olds go into cardiac arrest while playing basketball (HIT workout) because of 100% coronary occlusions or an Ironman finisher in his early 40s shows up for some chest discomfort a month after finishing an Ironman to buy himself an open heart, quadruple bypass surgery. The unknowns can be a bitch and its best not to attempt HIT like exercises (unless fully assured its safe) because they can greatly increase blood pressure and heart rates while ultimately reducing coronary perfusion (blood flow to the heart muscle). This requires medical evaluations. I havent used a trainer and respect what they do, but they aren't qualified to evaluate the most pressing questions above to determine the safety of their client if HIT workouts are being incorporated. Risks are overall low in the early years and increase with age but I've seen enough to say the risks are real and can cause significant medical problems.
I appreciate what you and others have said about this. Let me end this particular part of the discussion: I absolutely under no circumstances will do high-intensity training -- I'm 72 for heaven's sake.

Great post, much appreciated.

As one of those 40 somethings what kind of proactive checks can you get on your heart? I get these plaque screening mailers, but haven’t gone yet. Fitness hasn’t been the issue, physicals have been clean, but I suspect my arteries have been absorbing decades of shitty eating and drinking.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
So many benefits to vigorous cardio. But as others have noted, you cannot at an advanced age, just jump right into it. A good clip here by a very good scientist discussing benefits of intense exercise in small doses.

Reactions: Vlife
Ehhhh....pullups quickly turn into an anaerobic exercise which is not the wisest choice in general. Not beneficial for cardiovascular endurance, can raise blood pressure, promotes lactic acid buildup, and is damaging to muscle cells, among others.
Wow all that. Sounds like your having a neurotic episode, go take a nap lol

it is wise it is so smart to really pick a trainer wisely. And many of them have certifications based on many different physical and health issues.
Never pick a trainer because they look the best. Haha- but I also told my personal assessment trainer that there is no way I am picking one of their trainers that are 30 years younger than me and look worse either.

We chose ours because 1) she was female 2) athletic but not buff(more like a gymnast) and she had the correct certifications. And she worked with both my wife and I. And tailored our sessions based on our personal needs.

You need to relax. Any good trainer will find out what their goals are and tailor a workout accordingly. They’re not going to do a 100% HIIT workout, but would benefit from easiest elements of it, that seniors would do, and incorporate with other appropriate exercises.

Reactions: Knight Shift
You need to relax. Any good trainer will find out what their goals are and tailor a workout accordingly. They’re not going to do a 100% HIIT workout, but would benefit from easiest elements of it, that seniors would do, and incorporate with other appropriate exercises.
FWIW, here is the Harvard Medical School's take on HIIT. Let me say I am a *long* way from feeling ready to exercise at 85 to 95% of maximum heart rate.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/exercise-and-fitness/high-intensity-exercise-and-your-heart

Wow all that. Sounds like your having a neurotic episode, go take a nap lol
Not at all. I'm thinking medically. You are thinking about your the profile of your lats. By the way, no naps here and I'd outrun your ass any day of the week with my workouts. Enjoy the chin up bar pal.

Why are you arguing with someone who clearly has a medical background?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Al, I'll stop here at the request of the OP. I'll continue to think medically and based on what I have witnessed over the years. You continue to use the advice of a trainer. But I will say and wont answer to the question, if a trainer "finds out their goals and tailor(s) a workout", are you willing to bet your health and life on that??

I appreciate what you and others have said about this. Let me end this particular part of the discussion: I absolutely under no circumstances will do high-intensity training -- I'm 72 for heaven's sake.

I'm really disappointed in you. I thought you were going to train to be Mike Tyson's opponent in his next bout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT