ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Heisman Trophy Trivia

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Heard this one recently and thought it was interesting.
There have been three Heisman Trophy winners who were never drafted by either the NFL or AFL. Can you name them?

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
First guess would have to be the guys from Army who’s names escape me and maybe a Navy guy for #3. Staubach?
One would be from West Point . Which one of the three Army winners wasn't drafted?
Both Navy winners (Staubach, Bellino ) were drafted. Bellino by the Redskins and Patriots and Staubach obviously by Dallas

Last edited:
A clue for each one.

1. One has been associated with NJ in the past.
2. The other was in the 21st century.
The 21st century guy only won because he was QB. Larry Fitzgerald should have won that year. The same thing will happen this season as one of the many QBs will win over the best player this year WR Marvin Harrison. Only 3 non QBs have won since the 21st century.

Reactions: colbert17
Heard this one recently and thought it was interesting.
There have been three Heisman Trophy winners who were never drafted by either the NFL or AFL. Can you name them?
One is Charlie Ward who played for the Knicks.

EDIT: I assumed someone else for this but I wanted to answer without looking.

The 21st century guy only won because he was QB. Larry Fitzgerald should have won that year. The same thing will happen this season as one of the many QBs will win over the best player this year WR Marvin Harrison. Only 3 non QBs have won since the 21st century.
You might have missed one unless you're not going to count Reggie Bush because of it being taken away from him.

Reggie Bush, Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, DeVonta Smith

There were some bad ones in the 90s.
Gino Toretta, Danny Wuerfful, Chris Weinke come to mind

You might have missed one unless you're not going to count Reggie Bush because of it being taken away from him.

Reggie Bush, Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, DeVonta Smith

There were some bad ones in the 90s.
Gino Toretta, Danny Wuerfful, Chris Weinke come to mind
Yes the list I looked at didn't have Bush on it.

Charlie's the only one I know of
HIs special on ACC network was great
Although it's hard to argue w/his choice as he had a 12 year NBA career, yet still appears in Heisman House commercials

Reactions: Plum Street
Charlie's the only one I know of
HIs special on ACC network was great
Although it's hard to argue w/his choice as he had a 12 year NBA career, yet still appears in Heisman House commercials
The old joke was he was the best quarterback in NY when he was with the Knicks. The giants and jets had lousy quarterbacks at that time

Nissan should work Jason White into its Heisman House commercials. Make some public service comment about how injuries can affect players.. it would have to be deftly handled to be heartwarming and informative...

..or funny... have Jason White invite his friends.. all undrafted football players (all recognizable names from the NFL.. none Heisman winners... Here's how I see this version..

A couple recognizable names try to go down to HH living room to watch a game and they hear a watch party going on. When they get to the room the doors are closed with a hand-made sign that says "Reserved for the Undrafted Club"

Lets say its Bo Jackson and Caleb Williams.. yeah.. those two specifcially.

They open the doors anyway and see all the seats are taken and people even standing and watching the game.. they talk to the nearest..

"Hey, Wes Welker.. you won a Heisman?"

"Nope".

The two look confused and annoyed and Welker sees it.

"We were invited over by Jason".

The two look at each other seeing if the other knows any "Jason"

"Jason White.", says Welker, subtly shaking his head and then a slow chin point in Jason White's direction who notices the action at the door.

They look and see Jason White headed towards them.

Jason White: "Hey guys, sorry, this is a private party for the undrafted club".

Caleb Says: "Wait.. you won the Heisman and went undrafted?" Suddenly looking concerned.

Bo Jackson nods at Jason and mutters "injuries"... Jason just nods agreement but seems fine with his life.

Tony Romo and Priest Holmes had come over and say "hi guys.. private function".. then close the doors.

Off the top of my head: Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Earl Campbell, OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders. With all the QBs who have won the Heisman I believe Staubach is the only one in Canton.
Roger Staubach: "Captain Comeback" won 15 games in last 2 mins for da boys
Doak Walker: Halfback, Kicker, College running back of the year award named after him.
Paul Hornung: halfback, kicker
Charles Woodson: Defensive Back
Tim Brown: Wide Receiver

A very exclusive club!

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT