ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I might have Covid

So the contact tracers called me today, and they backed up what I read on a local pharmacies website, and that is the current protocol does not require 24 hour symptom free period prior to ending quarantine.

10 days post first symptom, as long as your symptoms have improved, and they are not a hindrance, you are good to go.
How long did it take them to call you?

8 days after I got my test.

So the first thought is to criticize the slow response, but contact tracing is just not going to be effective when the numbers are this high, they are just overwhelmed at this point. These are the types of measures that need to be implemented early.

At this point it's merely practice in case we ever need to do it again.

Last edited:

So the first thought is to criticize the slow response, but contact tracing is just not going to be effective when the numbers are this high, they are just overwhelmed at this point. These are the types of measures that need to be implemented early.

RU-05, glad you're doing better also!

Reactions: RU-05

My wife received a positive test result on 12/24 (12 days ago) and never heard from a contact tracer.

RU-05, glad you're doing better also!
Thanks, oddly my gf, whose symptoms timeline was pretty similar to mine is now feeling pretty crummy. Not too concerned yet, but keeping an eye on it.

Need help here....

Everyone in the family tested positive for Covid last week of November. Everyone had it based on all symptoms.

fast forward: got antibody testing yesterday. One is positive, two people are negative.

what would you honestly conclude ? Could it be false negatives on the antibody?

how reliable is the labcorp test?

Need help here....

Everyone in the family tested positive for Covid last week of November. Everyone had it based on all symptoms.

fast forward: got antibody testing yesterday. One is positive, two people are negative.

My sister-in-law had moderate symptoms and tested positive at the end of the summer. Several weeks later she went for antibody testing because she wanted to donate plasma. Her antibody test came back negative. Her doctor said her COVID test was probably a false positive and she just had the regular seasonal flu.

Reactions: bac2therac
I’m feeling better. No taste and smell still. Slight cough, figure I’ll ask for an X-ray in two weeks to see where I am with the pneumonia.
No other symptoms.
have you tried the burnt orange method?

My sister-in-law had moderate symptoms and tested positive at the end of the summer. Several weeks later she went for antibody testing because she wanted to donate plasma. Her antibody test came back negative. Her doctor said her COVID test was probably a false positive and she just had the regular seasonal flu.
We all had real symptoms. People we were in contact with had Covid positive tests as well. Some of the. Came back with anti bodies, some not. I had the flu shot- so doubt I had the flu. Half of us have the antibodies. This seems weird.

We all had real symptoms. People we were in contact with had Covid positive tests as well. Some of the. Came back with anti bodies, some not. I had the flu shot- so doubt I had the flu. Half of us have the antibodies. This seems weird.
Not everyone who has COVID tests positive for antibodies afterwards. Did you get the rapid test or the molecular test for COVID, or both?

I have read that antibody tests are not 100% reliable. Or some of them are not. And I think I've read that some folks who've had COVID simply don't test positive for antibodies after recovering, although I can't recall details (such as how long after recovery they were tested).

Perhaps @RU848789 has more information about it.

Reactions: Greg2020
Ya. Nothing works.
I love to eat and love to eat stuff that's bad for me. So I sometimes non-seriously wish to lose my sense of taste and smell. But even without that happening, I would really not want that.

Hope you regain those things very soon.

@RU-05, hope your GF's crappy feeling goes away very soon, too. If she's been out and about, she might've picked up a seasonal cold or something. But it might be worth her contacting her doctor about it, if she hasn't already.

Need help here....

Damn, I thought I had replied to this. Anyway, false positives are a significant issue and can result in undue angst. I have no idea of the reliability of that test, but I had posted back in the beginning of the summer how false positives/negatives really skew the numbers as far as who has actually gotten the disease. And it doesn't help that the symptoms are the same as other common diseases.

Reactions: bac2therac
Damn, I thought I had replied to this. Anyway, false positives are a significant issue and can result in undue angst. I have no idea of the reliability of that test, but I had posted back in the beginning of the summer how false positives/negatives really skew the numbers as far as who has actually gotten the disease. And it doesn't help that the symptoms are the same as other common diseases.
Thanks. Based on all indicators, we had Covid. There were three families (common bond the kids are friends) and all three families had every member test positive for Covid back in nov.

What the weird spot is that about half those now have antibodies. This makes no sense.

I love to eat and love to eat stuff that's bad for me. So I sometimes non-seriously wish to lose my sense of taste and smell. But even without that happening, I would really not want that.

Hope you regain those things very soon.

@RU-05, hope your GF's crappy feeling goes away very soon, too. If she's been out and about, she might've picked up a seasonal cold or something. But it might be worth her contacting her doctor about it, if she hasn't already.
She feels better already, though she did lose her sense of taste and smell, and tested positive, so it's covid.

The cluster and timing seem to point that all had Covid. I wouldn't hang your hat on the flu shot though. 2018-19 efficacy rates were only 24%. 2019-2020 was 37% I believe. So many can get the flu shot and then still get the flu unfortunately. But it does help some and cut down on sickness and hospitalization rates.

I'm not sure if you were talking about the saliva test here. But the saliva antigen tests have been all over the map with false positives and false negatives.

Surprised this thread has lasted as long as it has!! Hope you’re feeling better OP!

I’m feeling better. No taste and smell still. Slight cough, figure I’ll ask for an X-ray in two weeks to see where I am with the pneumonia.
No other symptoms.
Excellent news!! Stay vigilant and hopefully, you'll be healthy soon!

Thanks. Based on all indicators, we had Covid. There were three families (common bond the kids are friends) and all three families had every member test positive for Covid back in nov.

What the weird spot is that about half those now have antibodies. This makes no sense.
Would need to know which tests you and your family took, both for the virus and antibodies. The viral PCR tests (used for the vast majority of diagnostic testing for active infections) are very sensitive and don't often give false negatives unless the tests are done early in the infection, when viral loads are low. False positives, especially for anyone with symptoms are rare and are usually the result of lab issues.

The antibody tests for past infections are far more variable, given that there are many out there, plus the antibody levels in infected/recovered patients can vary quite greatly from person to person and for an individual over time, as antibody levels change over time (whereas during an infection, especially a symptomatic one, the viral load gets quite high, which is why false positives are rare). So it's quite possible people who truly did have COVID and did recover might still test negative for antibodies (i.e., false negatives).

False positives can also occur and these are much more "dangerous" as they can give one a false sense of security that one was infected and is now almost certainly immune for months to years, when, in fact, they never were infected and are still vulnerable. That's why anyone who didn't have clear cut symptoms for COVID should absolutely get two consecutive antibody tests to make sure one really has antibodies/immunity.

Having said all that, if everyone tested positive and had clear COVID symptoms, then it's very likely everyone actually does have antibodies, even if the tests don't show them and it's highly likely that anyone who was infected is immune, at least for awhile. I get wanting to "know" by an antibody test, so if that's important, the 2nd link has a discussion of which tests are better (none are perfect). Hope that helps.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

https://www.medtechdive.com/news/ro...y-tests-shine-in-fda-accuracy-roundup/592097/

Would need to know which tests you and your family took, both for the virus and antibodies. The viral PCR tests (used for the vast majority of diagnostic testing for active infections) are very sensitive and don't often give false negatives unless the tests are done early in the infection, when viral loads are low. False positives, especially for anyone with symptoms are rare and are usually the result of lab issues.

The antibody tests for past infections are far more variable, given that there are many out there, plus the antibody levels in infected/recovered patients can vary quite greatly from person to person and for an individual over time, as antibody levels change over time (whereas during an infection, especially a symptomatic one, the viral load gets quite high, which is why false positives are rare). So it's quite possible people who truly did have COVID and did recover might still test negative for antibodies (i.e., false negatives).

False positives can also occur and these are much more "dangerous" as they can give one a false sense of security that one was infected and is now almost certainly immune for months to years, when, in fact, they never were infected and are still vulnerable. That's why anyone who didn't have clear cut symptoms for COVID should absolutely get two consecutive antibody tests to make sure one really has antibodies/immunity.

Having said all that, if everyone tested positive and had clear COVID symptoms, then it's very likely everyone actually does have antibodies, even if the tests don't show them and it's highly likely that anyone who was infected is immune, at least for awhile. I get wanting to "know" by an antibody test, so if that's important, the 2nd link has a discussion of which tests are better (none are perfect). Hope that helps.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

https://www.medtechdive.com/news/ro...y-tests-shine-in-fda-accuracy-roundup/592097/

thank you

Reactions: RU848789
Even more confusing when my dr. just told me I’m just as at risk to Covid as I was before I had Covid - because the test showed no anti bodies.

I am more confused than ever.

Even more confusing when my dr. just told me I’m just as at risk to Covid as I was before I had Covid - because the test showed no anti bodies.

Sounds like questionable input from your doc, based on what you've said so far. If you truly had COVID (and it sounds like you did with a positive test and clear symptoms, correct?), the chance of being reinfected is likely less than 1 in 1MM, as there have only been a handful of documented reinfections of people who were previously infected and recovered. It's far more likely the test was flawed in some way.

While you won't have the peace of mind of absolutely knowing you're 100% safe from COVID-19, doing the few simple things you can do to protect yourself is so easy and non-intrusive that you might as well just do them.

And with the UK and South African mutations (the UK one having shown up in the US already and the other surely coming), until vaccinated (and until we see how effective the vaccines are), people should continue to do the non-intrusive simple stuff to avoid infection anyway. Also, nobody knows for sure just how long antibodies will provide immunity; surely it varies from person to person anyway.

For me, it's so easy to limit face-to-face contact with all but a few folks, and to wear a mask when outside my car or house and around others, and wash my hands regularly, that I'd rather do those easy things than be stressed over the whole thing.

Seems to me there's not much more we can do other than hope the vaccines are as effective as advertised. So my advice is to do those simple things and stop thinking about it. Maybe also get regular exercise and plenty of sleep as well; which helps keep the immune system fully charged.

Easier said then done, I guess.

Last edited:

Is it possible you never had Covid? Im sure we all had pretty bad colds before in our life it could of been that. Was it a PCR test that determined if you had Covid? If so they give a lot of false positives. Its possible you just had the symptoms of Covid but just had a common cold?

Is it possible you never had Covid? Im sure we all had pretty bad colds before in our life it could of been that. Was it a PCR test that determined if you had Covid? If so they give a lot of false positives. Its possible you just had the symptoms of Covid but just had a common cold?
I think he said 3 people with whom he was in contact all tested positive. The molecular tests are not that inaccurate that they are likely to ever turn up a cluster of 3 false positives that way. Highly unlikely.

I think he said 3 people with whom he was in contact all tested positive. The molecular tests are not that inaccurate that they are likely to ever turn up a cluster of 3 false positives that way. Highly unlikely.
Thanks. It’s actually 14/15 from three families had a positive Covid test. And most all (but one child) had symptoms. Some more severe than others.

the one negative was never sick and continues to test negative (hope it stays that way).

out of the 14. 9 took the antibody test. And 5 have them.

Thanks. It’s actually 14/15 from three families had a positive Covid test. And most all (but one child) had symptoms. Some more severe than others.

the one negative was never sick and continues to test negative (hope it stays that way).

I can empathize with your confusion. Just do the simple stuff to keep everyone as safe as possible for now.

No matter how we slice it, this COVID-19 business really sucks. I hope the vaccines turn out to be incredibly effective and that the world can soon get back to something resembling normalcy (or at least as normal as the world ever is).

While you won't have the peace of mind of absolutely knowing you're 100% safe from COVID-19, doing the few simple things you can do to protect yourself are so easy and non-intrusive that you might as well just do them.

And with the UK and South African mutations (the UK one having shown up in the US already and the other surely coming), until vaccinated (and until we see how effective the vaccines are), people should continue to do the non-intrusive simple stuff to avoid infection anyway. Also, nobody knows for sure just how long antibodies will provide immunity; surely it varies from person to person anyway.

For me, it's so easy to limit face-to-face contact with all but a few folks, and to wear a mask when outside my car or house and around others, and wash my hands regularly, that I'd rather do those easy things than be stressed over the whole thing.

Seems to me there's not much more we can do other than hope the vaccines are as effective as advertised. So my advice is to do those simple things and stop thinking about it. Maybe also get regular exercise and plenty of sleep as well; which helps keep the immune system fully charged.

Easier said then done, I guess.
One of the best responses on this topic in maybe a year.

Good one, @mildone.

I'm a little confused. I thought you had tested positively for COVID, but as Postman said, is it possible you did not? That changes everything, as I was assuming you had. If you didn't have a positive PCR viral test for COVID it's certainly possible you had some other infection like the flu or a cold (there are 200 viruses that cause colds) or even allergies that gave you some symptoms similar to COVID (although the loss of smell/tastes are pretty unique to COVID), which would make a negative antibody test make sense and your doc's advice more logical.

I'm a little confused. I thought you had tested positively for COVID, but as Postman said, is it possible you did not? That changes everything, as I was assuming you had. If you didn't have a positive PCR viral test for COVID it's certainly possible you had some other infection like the flu or a cold (there are 200 viruses that cause colds) or even allergies that gave you some symptoms similar to COVID (although the loss of smell/tastes are pretty unique to COVID), which would make a negative antibody test make sense and your doc's advice more logical.
14 of 15 DID test positive for Covid and most (but one child) had symptoms.

Only 5/9 had positive antibodies.

14 of 15 people from three families tested positive. We each took the nasal swab test at different times from Atlantic health.

Was asking about you, not everyone else - that info is key for your situation...
I tested positive for Covid as did my wife, son and daughter. We all had symptoms as well. Knocked off our asses for a week plus, plus other symptoms. My wife has antibodies now. My daughter and I don’t. My son didn’t test yet.

I tested positive for Covid as did my wife, son and daughter. We all had symptoms as well. Knocked off our asses for a week plus, plus other symptoms. My wife has antibodies now. My daughter and I don’t. My son didn’t test yet.
Gotcha - then all my previous comments hold, as I was assuming you had tested positive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT