ADVERTISEMENT

OT: (Kinda PSA) - Amazon Deliveries at 4:30am

mildone

Legend
Dec 19, 2011
I'm curious if anybody else has experienced this...

I was surprised at 4:30 this morning to be alerted by my security system to a person seemingly lurking about on my front porch. The associated video showed the guy, who was wearing a hooded jacket, looking around hesitantly, then walking over to one side where I have some chairs stacked, then backing up, then looking around some more, then eventually wandering off the porch and down the walk to the street. Seemed very much like he was avoiding showing his face to the visible camera.

I got notified of an Amazon delivery a bit after that, and had indeed ordered some stuff for next-day delivery. So I put it together, and then found the package where he stuffed it, behind and under the stack of chairs (apparently for safe keeping - first time I've seen that).

But I had no clue Amazon would be delivering packages like that, so early in the morning. That was a first for me. I'm thinking they really ought to put out an announcement that they might do that. It's not exactly a safe thing for the delivery person to be lurking around people's houses in the middle of the night like that.

I was surprised at 4:30 this morning to be alerted by my security system to a person seemingly lurking about on my front porch. The associated video showed the guy, who was wearing a hooded jacket, looking around hesitantly, then walking over to one side where I have some chairs stacked, then backing up, then looking around some more, then eventually wandering off the porch and down the walk to the street. Seemed very much like he was avoiding showing his face to the visible camera.

I got notified of an Amazon delivery a bit after that, and had indeed ordered some stuff for next-day delivery. So I put it together, and then found the package where he stuffed it, behind and under the stack of chairs (apparently for safe keeping - first time I've seen that).

But I had no clue Amazon would be delivering packages like that, so early in the morning. That was a first for me. I'm thinking they really ought to put out an announcement that they might do that. It's not exactly a safe thing for the delivery person to be lurking around people's houses in the middle of the night like that.

He was looking for the hookers and blow he expected as a tip.

When adding to cart it usually says if it’s going to be delivered during those hours.

Haven't had that issue, my biggest issue is drivers driving clear across my .75 acre front lawn. I have a large, wide driveway and we never leave cars in it. I've complained to amazon and they have given us gift cards but it ruins my grass and is ****ing unacceptable. It's clearly either a **** you by the driver or they are on something.

I've also seen a lot of them driving around with their rear or side door open and packages straight up falling out.

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
He was looking for the hookers and blow he expected as a tip.
LOL.

I've never tipped an amazon delivery person. Although I tip the kids at the local coffee place $10 for a cup of coffee. So perhaps I should start?

I haven't had this happen to me. It would be unfortunate if it did, as the automated machine gun defense systems are armed after 11pm.
LOL.

While I have no fully automated weapon systems, I do have plenty of weapons on hand and was in fact holding one while watching him. And when awakened suddenly at 4:30am by my security system, I'm kind of running a bit on automatic myself.

Is it just me that thinks that strangers appearing unannounced on people's property in the middle of the night is a bad idea?

I’ve had that happen a couple times. I think it has the possibility of happening when next day delivery option is chosen. I did get notified that it could happen and was okay with it and did see it come up on my cameras as well.

In a way, it’s better than a package sitting on the porch a long time if no one is home during the day. If it’s delivered early like that, it can be brought in.

Reactions: RutgersK1d

We get Amazon deliveries all of the time. Never one later than 9 p.m. or earlier than 9 a.m.
BTW, that's how I currently purchase new CDs.

I've had a number of very early morning deliveries.

LOL.

I've never tipped an amazon delivery person. Although I tip the kids at the local coffee place $10 for a cup of coffee. So perhaps I should start?
that could be why the amazon delivery driver was looking around trying to find a good spot to hide the package from you.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone and Kbee3
I’ve had that happen a couple times. I think it has the possibility of happening when next day delivery option is chosen. I did get notified that it could happen and was okay with it and did see it come up on my cameras as well.

In a way, it’s better than a package sitting on the porch a long time if no one is home during the day. If it’s delivered early like that, it can be brought in.
I would've been happier if they notified me it could happen, as they did with you. But so far as I can see, I received no such notification.

that could be why the amazon delivery driver was looking around trying to find a good spot to hide the package from you.
We rarely even see our Amazon delivery driver. Never even thought about tipping them.

Haven't had that issue, my biggest issue is drivers driving clear across my .75 acre front lawn. I have a large, wide driveway and we never leave cars in it. I've complained to amazon and they have given us gift cards but it ruins my grass and is ****ing unacceptable. It's clearly either a **** you by the driver or they are on something.

I've also seen a lot of them driving around with their rear or side door open and packages straight up falling out.
That would piss me off (the driving across the lawn thing). Can you line the edge of your yard with rocks or something that would prevent them from doing that?

LOL.

While I have no fully automated weapon systems, I do have plenty of weapons on hand and was in fact holding one while watching him. And when awakened suddenly at 4:30am by my security system, I'm kind of running a bit on automatic myself.

Is it just me that thinks that strangers appearing unannounced on people's property in the middle of the night is a bad idea?
seriously ..yikes. That's certainly putting their employees in harms way and I will bet one day this WILL indeed result in a serious mishap. I take it you don't have sound OR didn't want to scare the crap out of the person/neighbors?

seriously ..yikes. That's certainly putting their employees in harms way and I will bet one day this WILL indeed result in a serious mishap. I take it you don't have sound OR didn't want to scare the crap out of the person/neighbors?
I agree about the potential for a mishap.

Deer and other animals wander about in my yard and on my deck and porch. So it wouldn't make sense to put out an audible exterior alarm unless they attempt to enter the house or garage. And it would really only ever be needed when nobody is home, to scare the potential intruder(s) away.

The only people who might be here if someone were attempting to get in and do any harm, let's just say it would turn out to be a really bad day for the intruder(s).

That's boring. You gotta think outside the box.

Knowing @mildone, I'd say that he's training a squad of rams to sodomize trespassers on command.

Ya gotta admit, that's a lesson you wouldn't soon forget.
“Call off the rams, dude! I’m just delivering your coffee beans. Aaaaaaaaaah. For the love of God, it’s decaf!”

• Haha
Reactions: RU4Real
during the hot days last summer I was offering water bottles..
How did you even know they were there ? Amazon doesn't give you a delivery time and their delivery people that I've seen just drop off the package and quickly move on to their next stop.
Do you sit out front all day waiting for them with a water bottle ?

How did you even know they were there ? Amazon doesn't give you a delivery time and their delivery people that I've seen just drop off the package and quickly move on to their next stop.
I'm retired and work in my garage often. Last summer I built a dog agility course and before that a workbench. I am very often meeting them in my driveway. My wife gardens every single day. I'm working in the yards daily myself. Old school brother. I bet I get my mail handed to me half the time.

I agree about the potential for a mishap.

Deer and other animals wander about in my yard and on my deck and porch. So it wouldn't make sense to put out an audible exterior alarm unless they attempt to enter the house or garage. And it would really only ever be needed when nobody is home, to scare the potential intruder(s) away.

The only people who might be here if someone were attempting to get in and do any harm, let's just say it would turn out to be a really bad day for the intruder(s).
No bud. I meant where you can talk to them and they to you. When I got mine last year I had fun scaring the crap out of my family.

Some of us have eleventyteen cameras and motion-activated flood lights with configurable alarms.

I ordered something at 12:20am last month and it was delivered at 7:18am. (7-11 window). It was not the most earth shattering important thing in the world requiring overnight but still cool. I added bluetooth to a work pc to connect airpods.

LOL.

We rarely even see our Amazon delivery driver. Never even thought about tipping them.

during the hot days last summer I was offering water bottles..
If you have Alexa you can say, “Hey Alexa, thank my driver.” and they get a credit. Sometimes monetarily.

Reactions: RUMED

Probably was a FLEX driver. Those are the ones that deliver from their own vehicles. Often because the original van missed his delivery for some reason and returned with your package to the delivery station.

Probably was a FLEX driver. Those are the ones that deliver from their own vehicles. Often because the original van missed his delivery for some reason and returned with your package to the delivery station.
Could’ve been because I didn’t see a deliver vehicle, although it’s not easy to see the street from my first floor. Although I ordered pretty late the evening before. I was surprised next day didn’t mean the following day. So I don’t think it was missed by any vans or whatever.

LOL.

If you have an Alexa, you can say "Alexa, thank my driver".
They had a promotion where every "thank you" earned the driver a tip. Don't know if they are still doing it.

It wasn't an Amazon driver. RutgersAl finally found where you live.

• Haha
Reactions: Kbee3 and mildone
If you have Alexa you can say, “Hey Alexa, thank my driver.” and they get a credit. Sometimes monetarily.
now Midone will be naming one of his sheep Alexa to give the delivery driver a special delivery thanks to you .
Amazon, Fed X & UPS delivery drivers will be looking for you and not to drop off packages

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT