ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football Games Thread 9/3-9-5 Sat-Mon

I've mentioned Anae in the past. Leach tree guy who was OC for Mendenhall at BYU and UVA. Interested to see what impact he can have at Syracuse.

Comments from Mandel

From the article:

RU:
Beating Boston College might not seem like a big deal to most, but it’s a significant moment for the Greg Schiano 2.0 era at Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights’ 22-21 road win over an opponent that’s been bowl eligible eight of the past nine seasons followed the Jersey formula. Rutgers outrushed BC 212-29, including a 48-yard run by freshman QB Gavin Wimsatt and a go-ahead 22-yard touchdown run with 2:43 left from redshirt freshman Al-Shadee Salaam.

At some point, though, they may need to throw the ball if they hope to get to six wins.

Syracuse:
Is Syracuse coach Dino Babers on the brink of a second act at Syracuse? Since going 10-3 in his third season (2018), the Orange are 12-24. But they did rise from 1-10 to 5-7 in 2021, and on Saturday completely stymied Louisville QB Malik Cunningham in a 31-7 conference win. Louisville came in 7-1 against the Orange since joining the ACC. In his first game under former Virginia offensive coordinator Robert Anae, QB Garrett Shrader — he of pre-Mike Leach Mississippi State fame — threw for 237 yards and two TDs and ran for 95. Definitely an encouraging start.

Blocked 37yd FG by FSU after a missed opportunity for a TD by LSU.

Remains 7-3 FSU

FSU seems more physical in the first half than recent history. Wonder if they’ve undergone an OSU like transformation as well. A little more physical and a little less finesse at least if necessary.

Bobbled fair catch by LSU and FSU recovers around the 16 with 3 min before half.

A couple STs issues for LSU in the first half.

Norvell goes for a 4th and 2 and they don’t get it….could’ve been a TD catch possibly.

So they got nothing out of that bobbled catch. I won’t kill the decision but I would have liked to go up a TD and get the points before half with some extra momentum.

Great throw in the face of roughing the passer targeting hit to the head and a nice one handed TD catch too for FSU.

17-3 FSU

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not only is FSU doing well on the field but their fans showed up big time too. It looks like the Georgia vs Oregon game but reversed... LSU absolutely embarrassing with how lopsided the crowd looks in favor of FSU. This is literally in Louisiana yet there are significantly more FSU fans than LSU fans it seems like, at least in the lower level. 24-10 FSU. Love to see the SEC losing

How crazy is that ending…99yd TD drive and then the xp is blocked lol…oh my goodness

What an awesome week 1 this has been from Thursday to today. College football baby!

Three things:
1. Most unbeliever ending I’ve ever seen

2. both coaches - complete morons in the final minute. What is FSU doing tossing the ball at the 1 yard line when you have a 99.99% chance of winning now as long as you don’t fumble. And you do a toss

Brian Kelly - how do you send a kicker out there who’s never made a college play before to try to make that XP - what in the world. Both coaches could not try to blow this game more. Just incredible

3. Never want to hear about how bad we have it as RU fans as far as heart-ripping out endings. If you’re an LSU fan how do you recover from this game/not have a heart attack after. The high of thinking you’re getting the ball back - the lowest of low when you fumble the punt at the 5 yard line. Then the highest of high when FSU fumbles it right back. Then the even higher high when you score a TD with 1 second. Then you get the XP blocked. Not in 10 seasons worth of stress has any RU game given us more than LSU fans just got

Three things:

2. both coaches - complete morons in the final minute. What is FSU doing tossing the ball at the 1 yard line when you have a 99.99% chance of winning now as long as you don’t fumble. And you do a toss

Brian Kelly - how do you send a kicker out there who’s never made a college play before to try to make that XP - what in the world. Both coaches could not try to blow this game more. Just incredible

3. Never want to hear about how bad we have it as RU fans as far as heart-ripping out endings. If you’re an LSU fan how do you recover from this game/not have a heart attack after. The high of thinking you’re getting the ball back - the lowest of low when you fumble the punt at the 5 yard line. Then the highest of high when FSU fumbles it right back. Then the even higher high when you score a TD with 1 second. Then you get the XP blocked. Not in 10 seasons worth of stress has any RU game given us more than LSU fans just got
I’m not sure if it’s the most unbelievable ending I’ve seen this weekend lol. The App State UNC game probably beats this but this was a damn fun ending.

Trouble in paradise early for Kelly? Transfers on the horizon? Seems like Boutte and Nabers scrubbed their SM of LSU references last night.

Any moron who has a hissy fit like this after one game is not somebody I want on my team long term
Maybe it's been rumbling under the surface but now it's just come out. There was one play where even the announcers mentioned he was just kind of lackadaisically running his route and the ball bounced off his chest in what could have been a potential TD. Whatever it is, if Kelly is going to succeed there, which I think he's still got a good chance to eventually, he needs guys that will play all out for him and let the ones who won't move on.

Three things:

Don’t think it was the kicker’s fault. you can see that someone missed a block that allow a guy to knife through for the block.

Clemson 14 Georgia Tech 10 with 9:00 left in the 3rd. Clemson obviously has as more talent, but not #4 talent, especially on O

Clemson backup QB (true freshman #1 dual threat out of Texas) is the real deal. 50x better than Uiungalelei or however … would love to have that as the BACKUP QB. Clemson fans will be hammering for him to play the way we do Wimsatt

Clemson backup QB (true freshman #1 dual threat out of Texas) is the real deal. 50x better than Uiungalelei or however … would love to have that as the BACKUP QB. Clemson fans will be hammering for him to play the way we do Wimsatt

Really amazing how far DJ has fallen. His frosh year he looked like he was going to be a star and then he regressed mightily last year and appears to be only slightly better this year.

Was surprised how calm and rational Kelly was in his post game presser. Very honest about the coaching and the team.

Watching that game was a flashback for ND fans. Bad special teams, bizarre use of timeouts, poor red zone offense, etc. ND fans would lose their crap when Kelly would come out of a timeout or commercial and then not even get a play off and have to use a timeout. Sure enough, it happened against FSU. FSU doesn't get it on 4th and goal. Clock stoppage, more than enough time to get a play ready and yet the LSU offense comes on the field, watches the play clock almost expire and has to use a timeout.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT