ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Mets Season

intent was good...the yankee emblem could have been smaller..or
possibly a comment such as "we have admired your integrity, professionalism and grit from the Bronx" …

Don’t understand the DW obsession. Good player.. yes. No where near a HOFer.
I do. He was a great professional, leader and worked his butt off. We live in the NYC area so of course you will hear more about him. I always remember Francessa saying he would never be a good third basemen when he came up. Wright worked hard and became very solid defensively. The game will miss him and this is coming from a Cubs fan. I’m glad that he was able to work his way back enough to have his night.

For major leaguers, this is a time of prepping either for the postseason or (like the Mets) for vacation. But for minor leaguers it is a time of dread. Their seasons ended on Labor Day, their evaluations are complete, and now it's cut down time. Organizational roster space must be cleared out for next years draftees and international signings. It's up or out.

This week the Mets parted ways with 50 minor leaguers. One of them, a reliever named Kevin McGowan, had a cup of coffee with the Mets last year. The rest are guys you've never heard of and likely will never hear of. But they are human beings with dreams. Do you let the dream die and go on with real life? Or do you keep on keepin' on, most likely in an independent league somewhere, hoping against hope for another shot?

Pro sports is a nice profession for the few, not so nice for the many.

Too bad the coupons couldn't scrape together the pennies to land Cain, Moustakas, etc. this past off-season. These Yelich hits every time up are getting on my nerves too (at least Jeter didn't hand him to the Yanks too). Kudos to those big market Brewers - must be nice to live in such a plentiful land. :cry:

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT