ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

I don’t have much to measure by. The atmosphere at Maine for hockey is great. Are there a lot of schools that get into hockey like that? It reminds me of when basketball was played in places like the Barn.
A lot of New England schools. Bowdoin was in the past. All the Boston Beanpot school. UNH. RPI. Dartmouth.
Agreed with the above. Add Cornell and Clarkson to that list in the east. In the Midwest, UND is like attending an NHL game. Their arena is incredible. Michigan also great. Most barns in the east and midwest can be intense.

Laf proving me wrong. What a backhander in the shootout.
Kakko still struggling,

They're finding new ways to punish Trouba for clean hits. LMAO.

One of the worst officiated games I've seen in person.

They're finding new ways to punish Trouba for clean hits. LMAO.

One of the worst officiated games I've seen in person.
From what I saw on the CUYLLE goal - the reason the review took so long was that everyone in Toronto KNEW it was a goal. They just couldn’t PROVE it with video. So, they kept looking, hoping, looking, hoping, lol. TBH - given the parameters, and the human/video failure to track the puck, it was probably the correct call. It’s nuts with all the technology available that this could still happen. Soccer has been using goal line tech for years. It works. Use it.

Reactions: miker183
From what I saw on the CUYLLE goal - the reason the review took so long was that everyone in Toronto KNEW it was a goal. They just couldn’t PROVE it with video. So, they kept looking, hoping, looking, hoping, lol. TBH - given the parameters, and the human/video failure to track the puck, it was probably the correct call. It’s nuts with all the technology available that this could still happen. Soccer has been using goal line tech for years. It works. Use it.

So many things last night: that goal, the Trouba hit, the Lindgren "downgrade" (now concussed).

Question for Rangers fans:

Strictly hypothetical, but when Chytil comes back, do you drop Wheeler off top line (definitely), and let Chyt play wing with Kreider and Mika.

I know he is a center, but has the ability to enter the zone with the puck and can drive the offense. Hopefully, this would get Mika going (it'll happen eventually), but leaves the second line intact.

Question for Rangers fans:

Strictly hypothetical, but when Chytil comes back, do you drop Wheeler off top line (definitely), and let Chyt play wing with Kreider and Mika.

I know he is a center, but has the ability to enter the zone with the puck and can drive the offense. Hopefully, this would get Mika going (it'll happen eventually), but leaves the second line intact.
Mika took 15 games last year to get going.

At this point, I would leave Wheeler up there and put the Chytil Kakko Cuylle line together.

Mika took 15 games last year to get going.

At this point, I would leave Wheeler up there and put the Chytil Kakko Cuylle line together.

Not sold on Wheeler due to speed. I think he can still play, but I think it's a mistake for him to be in the top 6.

Don't mind the Chytil, Kakko Cuylle idea. Think that is a good idea; might sub Chytil for Trochek on defensive zone draws.

Not sold on Wheeler due to speed. I think he can still play, but I think it's a mistake for him to be in the top 6.

Don't mind the Chytil, Kakko Cuylle idea. Think that is a good idea; might sub Chytil for Trochek on defensive zone draws.
I don’t get hung up on the first line thing, because Mika and Kreider play so many power play and PK minutes (and Wheeler won’t) that Wheeler wouldn’t be with Mika and Kreider for a ton of minutes at 5v5 in most games anyway.

Faceoffs is an issue for my 3rd line. With the previous “kid line” they were able to plug Laf (who isn’t horrible at them) in the circle. They probably should have had Kakko working on faceoffs in the offseason. With the way he can win puck battles along the boards he probably would be decent at them.

I definitely question bringing Shesterkin back after a 2+ week layoff to play against a team as high powered as the Devils.

Entertaining game. Similar officiating to Columbus game; downgraded call when Lindgren takes a head shot, and whistle confusion on a goal. Strange. LMAO.

I definitely question bringing Shesterkin back after a 2+ week layoff to play against a team as high powered as the Devils.

You defended the Trouba hit, and the Devils fans devolved into so much angst. Near as I could tell, no Ranger fan brought up the result and its a whole bunch of trash talk.

I dont get it. Living rent free I guess. It was 1 of 82 games; a bit more because it was a divisional game, but still only one game.

Entertaining game. Similar officiating to Columbus game; downgraded call when Lindgren takes a head shot, and whistle confusion on a goal. Strange. LMAO.
I didn’t have a problem with the “whistle” goal on its own, because it is the initial shot that actually went in.

My problem is that if it were a Ranger shot they would have ruled the ref had “intent” to blow the whistle before it trickled behind the goalie and therefore no goal.

Kind of how the interpretation for “a kicking motion” seems to be completely different if it is a Ranger’s, or Rangers opponent’s, skate.

I don’t get hung up on the first line thing, because Mika and Kreider play so many power play and PK minutes (and Wheeler won’t) that Wheeler wouldn’t be with Mika and Kreider for a ton of minutes at 5v5 in most games anyway.

Faceoffs is an issue for my 3rd line. With the previous “kid line” they were able to plug Laf (who isn’t horrible at them) in the circle. They probably should have had Kakko working on faceoffs in the offseason. With the way he can win puck battles along the boards he probably would be decent at them.
Rangers need a one more top 6 RW.
Kakko is really nothing more than 20 points a year bottom 6 grinder.
Laf suprising me with his vision and forechecking.
Flip gets concussed with upper body shots that don’t come near his head because of fluid displacement.
Sad to say he’s done…imo
Krup…. Jonesy is really playing well

Flip gets concussed with upper body shots that don’t come near his head because of fluid displacement.
Sad to say he’s done…imo

As they get closer to the trade deadline, wondering if Othmann might fit. He's definitely faster than Wheeler, and then whatever moves they make could be to bolster the lineup rather than chasing a big name. Wouldn't mind Cullye getting a shot in there for now.

As they get closer to the trade deadline, wondering if Othmann might fit. He's definitely faster than Wheeler, and then whatever moves they make could be to bolster the lineup rather than chasing a big name. Wouldn't mind Cullye getting a shot in there for now.
Just like AAA to the big leagues.
If Othman isn’t your best player in Hartford and Brodzinsky is, he ain’t helping the big club…imo Miker.
Othman has 2 goals in 15 games, both on opening night.
I feel confident saying Kakko with his 2 points would be Hartford’s best player immediately if he was sent down. (Which he is not, just making a point)

Sad to say he’s done…imo
I get that Kakko has been a disappointment, but it is exaggerating to call him a “20 points a year grinder” when he had 18 goals and 22 assists last year.

A 40 point winger might be his level, which isn’t good for a #2 pick, but he definitely shows that he is a complementary player who can make a line with good players better. So far this year his centers have been “3 points at even strength” Zibanejad and 4th line center Bonino. Wheeler doesn’t look any better at RW of that line than Kakko did.

I am very concerned about Chytil. It’s when the concussions start happening from normal hits that it gets scary. The only hope I have to cling to is that Zibanejad was in exactly this position at one point. His last big issue was when he got a hit that not only didn’t stop him from playing in the rest of that game, but he played in the next as well, and only then had serious symptoms that kept him out for a long time. Somehow with a scary concussion history Zibanejad has now gone years without one,

Jones will always draw a lot of notice when he gets outmuscled in his end, but people don’t notice things NOT happening as much, and his ability to handle and move the puck means the Rangers don’t get pinned in their end as much when he is on the ice as they do with a big physical guy like Harpur. He is a good fit with Schneider right now, and I think if they do make a move for a forward Jones has shown trade value for teams that need more offense from their D.

I get that Kakko has been a disappointment, but it is exaggerating to call him a “20 points a year grinder” when he had 18 goals and 22 assists last year.

A 40 point winger might be his level, which isn’t good for a #2 pick, but he definitely shows that he is a complementary player who can make a line with good players better. So far this year his centers have been “3 points at even strength” Zibanejad and 4th line center Bonino. Wheeler doesn’t look any better at RW of that line than Kakko did.

I am very concerned about Chytil. It’s when the concussions start happening from normal hits that it gets scary. The only hope I have to cling to is that Zibanejad was in exactly this position at one point. His last big issue was when he got a hit that not only didn’t stop him from playing in the rest of that game, but he played in the next as well, and only then had serious symptoms that kept him out for a long time. Somehow with a scary concussion history Zibanejad has now gone years without one,

Jones will always draw a lot of notice when he gets outmuscled in his end, but people don’t notice things NOT happening as much, and his ability to handle and move the puck means the Rangers don’t get pinned in their end as much when he is on the ice as they do with a big physical guy like Harpur. He is a good fit with Schneider right now, and I think if they do make a move for a forward Jones has shown trade value for teams that need more offense from their D.
There’s a lot of teams in this league Jones would play on.

You defended the Trouba hit, and the Devils fans devolved into so much angst. Near as I could tell, no Ranger fan brought up the result and its a whole bunch of trash talk.

I dont get it. Living rent free I guess. It was 1 of 82 games; a bit more because it was a divisional game, but still only one game.
Hey, it lasted a whole month into the season before the childish piss match nonsense started. As soon as I see Rags or Mickey Mouse or half cups or dumb un-nuanced fan reasoning, I’m out. It’s just so boring.

Shame, because I enjoyed reading both threads. Hopefully it doesn’t devolve here as well.

On the actual results so far, some quick hits:
BOS - point machine. Playoffs?
FLA - picking up from their great run
TML - that O - wow. That D - yeesh
TBL - is the run over?
DET/OTT/BUF - when will they ever get over the hump?
MTL - TDL seller

NYR - how long can they keep this pace?
WAS - how the hell are they in 2nd place?
CAR - disappointing
PHI - surprising
NJD - see TOR but with worse D
NYI - pack it up boys
PIT - the inevitable slide begins
CBJ - lottery watching

DAL - is this the year?
COL - cruising until playoffs
WPG - WYSIWYG
ARI - really?
STL - more talented than their results
MIN - not enough D
NSH - without goalie form, lookout below
CHI - rebuild mode

VGK - playing without pressure
VAN - wow, they’ve arrived
LAK - wow, they’re still here
ANA - this good or teams below that bad?
SEA - which was the blip - last year or this one?
CGY - has the bottom dropped out?
EDM - see CGY but worse
SJ - awful

Last edited:
Reactions: rukelvin
Was there anyone who knows hockey or played the game that thought the Trouba hit wasn’t a great, perfectly legal check.
News flash, dropping your head while handing or fumbling for the puck no where near the boards is a defenseless position you put yourself into.

Reactions: RUpop and miker183
Hey, it lasted a whole month into the season before the childish piss match nonsense started. As soon as I see Rags or Mickey Mouse or half cups or dumb un-nuanced fan reasoning, I’m out. It’s just so boring.

Shame, because I enjoyed reading both threads. Hopefully it doesn’t devolve here as well.

On the actual results so far, some quick hits:
BOS - point machine. Playoffs?
FLA - picking up from their great run
TML - that O - wow. That D - yeesh
TBL - is the run over?
DET/OTT/BUF - when will they ever get over the hump?
MTL - TDL seller

NYR - how long can they keep this pace?
WAS - how the hell are they in 2nd place?
CAR - disappointing
PHI - surprising
NJD - see TOR but with worse D
NYI - pack it up boys
PIT - the inevitable slide begins
CBJ - lottery watching

DAL - is this the year?
COL - cruising until playoffs
WPG - WYWISYG
ARI - really?
STL - more talented than their results
MIN - not enough D
NSH - without goalie form, lookout below
CHI - rebuild mode

VGK - playing without pressure
VAN - wow, they’ve arrived
LAK - wow, they’re still here
ANA - this good or teams below that bad?
SEA - which was the blip - last year or this one?
CGY - has the bottom dropped out?
EDM - see CGY but worse
SJ - awful

There's one guy over there that is going completely off the rails; he can aspire to being an un-nuanced fan, but it would be a lofty goal.
I read it, but think I'm done commenting. I'm too old to argue with idiots; over a game no less.

Reactions: RUpop
Lets have a review of the Rangers Day today, shall we? A 3-1 win in Philly matched a horrendous loss by the Devils to Columbus. Mika breaks out with 2 goals. up by 12 points and November isn't over yet

Last edited:
You don't win Stanley Cups in November but I like what I see so far. Looking forward to the team getting better as the season goes on.

Reactions: miker183
We probably should be discussing Trouba’s high-sticking baseball swing at the head of Trent Frederic. Trouba definitely plays right on the edge, and personally I think a majority of his hits are clean by the definition of the rules. But this one (while not a hit) was egregious and way over the line. He’s gotta rein it in a bit and is unlikely to get any benefit of the doubt going forward. I’m shocked it’s just a max fine of $5000 and not any suspension.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
We probably should be discussing Trouba’s high-sticking baseball swing at the head of Trent Frederic. Trouba definitely plays right on the edge, and personally I think a majority of his hits are clean by the definition of the rules. But this one (while not a hit) was egregious and way over the line. He’s gotta rein it in a bit and is unlikely to get any benefit of the doubt going forward. I’m shocked it’s just a max fine of $5000 and not any suspension.

I saw some clamoring for 30 games; that's insane. But, if they came down with 2-5, I wouldn't have been surprised.

End of the day, you are responsible for your stick; full stop.

End of the day, you are responsible for your stick; full stop.
100%. And if this was — say Tom Wilson — against the Rangers, you know there would be NYR fans screaming for the longest suspension ever issued (and I’m 10000% a NYR fan, not a fan of another team trying to stir things up in this thread).

Kakko is going on LTIR; expected after the awkward tumble last night.
But, Chytil is being reclassified to LTIR, so that is a terrible sign.

Next man up!

Next man up!
IMO
Time for Othmann.
I played AAA ball with tons of cup of coffee in the show lifers who like Brodzicki, taught you how to play and prepare but were NEVER going to be MLB regulars.
Brodzicki is the next man up, but Othmann has the talent to play with better players, ready or not.

Next man up!
Chytil is on LTIR as of the original date of the injury, so it can end any time after tomorrow. Last reports were that he is skating on his own so he has a while to go but is making progress.

Chytil is on LTIR as of the original date of the injury, so it can end any time after tomorrow. Last reports were that he is skating on his own so he has a while to go but is making progress.
Matter of time before he gets jarred again Krup, it won’t even take a head shot to take him out.
I wouldn’t want to play hockey if I were him knowing that and playing the game avoiding contact.

I thought he had a setback. That makes more sense.

But, I do agree with Zap, fear this may be a chronic and possibly career ending problem.

I thought he had a setback. That makes more sense.

But, I do agree with Zap, fear this may be a chronic and possibly career ending problem.
What do you think about the next man up being Othmann instead of Brodzicki?
The only deterrent to Othmann is its bottom 6 roll.
If he were replacing Laf or Wheeler, id prefer Othmann over Vecey getting the opportunity to move up?

Matter of time before he gets jarred again Krup, it won’t even take a head shot to take him out.
I wouldn’t want to play hockey if I were him knowing that and playing the game avoiding contact.
I am afraid of the same thing, but don’t forget that Zibanejad was in a very similar situation 3-4 years ago, and then just hasn’t had one since. There is still some hope.

If he were replacing Laf or Wheeler, id prefer Othmann over Vecey getting the opportunity to move up?

I know it's a leap, but I'd give Othmann at least a look in the top 6 with no expectations. He's faster than Wheeler and seems to have a shooter mentality. They already made the move, so it's a moot point, but would rather he struggle a bit in a situation for him to succeed instead of using him for situations that don't fit the skillet.

But what do I know, last time they had a GM vacancy, they refused to take my calls. LOL.

Reactions: zappaa
Don’t be surprised if they give that Adam Edstrom they also called up a shot. 6’8” kid from Sweden they drafted late in 2019 who plays with a little grit. 9 points and 14 penalty minutes in 18 games for Hartford.

I think they want to take Othmann very slow after some of the bigger prospects were rushed, and Cuylle seems to have really benefitted from a full year in Hartford.

Casey Stengel once said in response to the question have you ever seen that?
“In Sports You Don’t Know Nothin”

Raise your hand if you’ve ever seen a player grab the opponents stick and proceed to hit himself in the mouth with it?

I know it was all reactionary, the whole play…. It’s still a first…lol

If it didn’t draw blood, I’m not sure the play can be reviewed???

Good response to a loss last night, good 3rd period…. Rangers faned on at least 3 open nets

Casey Stengel once said in response to the question have you ever seen that?
“In Sports You Don’t Know Nothin”

Raise your hand if you’ve ever seen a player grab the opponents stick and proceed to hit himself in the mouth with it?

I know it was all reactionary, the whole play…. It’s still a first…lol

If it didn’t draw blood, I’m not sure the play can be reviewed???

Good response to a loss last night, good 3rd period…. Rangers faned on at least 3 open nets
Zap - I completely agreed with your and your insider’s assessment of LAF. He has shown flashes over the years, but too many games where he was not noticeable, except for his penchant to be behind the play. Until this year. The last few games, production has been there. And the few times I saw him, he has been driving play and creating chances. Do you think he turned the corner or is this just a temporary hot streak?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT