ADVERTISEMENT

OT- NYC season long baseball thread. Mets, Yankees. 2nd attempt

NL East is a two horse race barring a rash of injuries. Mets will win it again IMO but certainly not a gimme.

The Yankees OF is injury prone, and Teixeira and ARod are near the end too. Castro is serviceable but nothing special. Severino will be a good one in time. The back of the bullpen is awesome if Miller's wrist is not an issue, once Chapman is back from his suspension. Toronto should win the AL East.

Cubs lineup looks strong but I don't know about the depth of their starting pitching. Arrieta should be great again, but take a step back. Lester is a good #2. After them, I am not convinced. Still, I think they win the Central.

The Dodgers have pitching concerns too after Kershaw because the starters are all injury risks. I think the Giants make their even year run again.

Play ball!

Disagree on Castro. Think he is a very big upgrade from last year for the Yanks. Also they brought in Hicks as the 4th outfielder and word is he will rotate through 3-4 times a week aso a starter.

Disagree on Castro. Think he is a very big upgrade from last year for the Yanks. Also they brought in Hicks as the 4th outfielder and word is he will rotate through 3-4 times a week aso a starter.
You think he is "special" at 2B? Last season he was the 18th best 2B in MLB by WAR, coming in at 0.8. That only includes guys with a season's worth of AB. Guys that I expect to be better 2B than him this year:

Altuve
Gordon
Cano
Kipnis
Kinsler
Dozier
Odir
Rendon (health could be a factor here)
Murphy
Duffy
Russell
Wong
Zobrist
Panik (if his back holds up)
Walker
Pedroia

The odds of Castro being a top 10 2B are not good. He is an average starting 2B at best. He's in that 10-20 range at best, or as I put it - nothing special.

Of course, he had the second highest AVG of guys on the Yankee roster at .265. Beltran hit .276. Wow.

Hicks is okay but is a career .225 hitter and hit .256 last season. He's 26 so you can't just say he's young.

Bye bye Harvey. Looks like Mr. 25-18 will become Mr. 25-19. He looks pretty average against a good team.

You think he is "special" at 2B? Last season he was the 18th best 2B in MLB by WAR, coming in at 0.8. That only includes guys with a season's worth of AB. Guys that I expect to be better 2B than him this year:

Altuve
Gordon
Cano
Kipnis
Kinsler
Dozier
Odir
Rendon (health could be a factor here)
Murphy
Duffy
Russell
Wong
Zobrist
Panik (if his back holds up)
Walker
Pedroia

The odds of Castro being a top 10 2B are not good. He is an average starting 2B at best. He's in that 10-20 range at best, or as I put it - nothing special.

Of course, he had the second highest AVG of guys on the Yankee roster at .265. Beltran hit .276. Wow.

Hicks is okay but is a career .225 hitter and hit .256 last season. He's 26 so you can't just say he's young.

Castro is a significant upgrade over Drew for the Yankees and will be a Net Plus to the offense while maintaining a very good defensive rating at the position.

The list you provided is a bit misleading as several players are on the same team and playing different postions.......

Rendon & Murphy - Nationals
Russel and Zobrist - Cubs
Duffy and Panik - Giants

Within the American League I would say that Castro has a chance to be a top 5 Second Baseman behind....

Pedroia
Cano
Kinsler

and at a level competing with Odor, Dozier and Kipnis. Castro's OPS at .725 is in a similar range to these players and his defensive ranking at 2B (Total Zone Rating of 16) is far superior to the others. It should also be noted that the Pedroia, Cano and Kinsler are all over 30 years old with significant contracts/terms. Castro just turned 26 and has a manageable and controllable salary figure averaging about $6.8 million through 2019. While this does not factor into his ranking for this year, it certainly does make his acquisition an efficient/good move for the longer term.

Other notes on your list....

• Murphy, Dozier and Walker are considered bad to questionable defenders.
  • Castro averages 1.7 WAR per year which is better than Gordon, Odor & Wong and almost equivalent to Murphy
  • Castro has the best Total Zone defensive rating for 2B (at 16) significantly better than anyone on the list.

Bye bye Harvey. Looks like Mr. 25-18 will become Mr. 25-19. He looks pretty average against a good team.
Did you even watch? He was cruising, got no support as usual. Guy is a stud. Perhaps overshadowed because DeGrom has been Cy Young level and Syndergaard has most upside. Harvey is an ace on 90% of mlb teams. Hater.

Did you even watch? He was cruising, got no support as usual. Guy is a stud. Perhaps overshadowed because DeGrom has been Cy Young level and Syndergaard has most upside. Harvey is an ace on 90% of mlb teams. Hater.
Cruising means giving up 4 runs (3 earned) in less than 6 innings? A career record of 25-19 is meh.

Cruising means giving up 4 runs (3 earned) in less than 6 innings? A career record of 25-19 is meh.
As imI presumed, you didn't even watch just looked at box score. Wrights inability to throw guys out, Lagares with a terrible jump on a fly ball, Cespedes butchering...he retired 8 in a row at one point, so yes cruising. Go to the fridge for some more ice cold Hater-ade.

I LOVE my NY YANKEES !

I also root for the METS

I am a NYer,,,,,,,,that what i do...root for my teams...
It's not like the Mets are the Red Sox, but it's always enjoyable to poke fun at NY's JV team.

It's not like the Mets are the Red Sox, but it's always enjoyable to poke fun at NY's JV team.
Syndergaard only pitched 6 innings today - fanned 9, no runs. Seems like they are consciously monitoring the innings worked by starters...Meanwhile your ace Tanaka couldn't make it through 6...

Going to be a long season for the Yanks.
The Yanks will be respectable this year and in the running for a WC spot. But the big test for them will be next year as many awful contracts start to expire.

The Yanks will be respectable this year and in the running for a WC spot. But the big test for them will be next year as many awful contracts start to expire.

Hope u r right, I'm a big fan. Can't wait for the contracts to be up. Too many older guys on this team who can't hit consistently.

We shall see.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Hope u r right, I'm a big fan. Can't wait for the contracts to be up. Too many older guys on this team who can't hit consistently.

We shall see.
Agreed, we need to end this short-sighted contract strategy that screws us in the long run. As I mentioned before, it's hard to be too upset with CC and Tex, since we did win in 2009, but looking at the big picture, wow, what awful contracts!

I agree Castro is an upgrade over last year. Top 5? Naah. That would be great for the Yanks though. He did drive in a pair today.

Not fair to compare Castro career average WAR to Odor at this point, with such limited MLB experience. I think Odor beats him out though. Castro could approach Pedroia, who is on the down side of a strong career.

As for the little brother/JV stuff, in 2016 that sounds a lot like a Syracuse football fan talking about Dick McPherson.

Agreed, we need to end this short-sighted contract strategy that screws us in the long run. As I mentioned before, it's hard to be too upset with CC and Tex, since we did win in 2009, but looking at the big picture, wow, what awful contracts!
Since CC new contract what bad long term contract have the Yankees made? The landscape has changes and the Yankees are adjusting. Who did the Yankees actually sign this year?

Here we go again with this...guy...did you know that no one judges a pitcher by his record anymore? No of course you didn't, you're a Yankee fan living in 1998.

Dude has the second best ERA since his debut behind only Some guy named kershaw. Please just stop giving "input"into these threads. You're so jealous & insecure when it comes to Mets vs Yankees it's absolutely hilarious!!

Your boy tanaka got B slapped by a lineup without their best power hitter from last season. course Houston has a lot of other ways to beat you (really like what they're doing in HOU) besides gattis but if you want to talk about overrated...tanaka with his 91 mph fastball and his elbow held together by guitar strings.

Here we go again with this...guy...did you know that no one judges a pitcher by his record anymore? No of course you didn't, you're a Yankee fan living in 1998.

Dude has the second best ERA since his debut behind only Some guy named kershaw. Please just stop giving "input"into these threads. You're so jealous & insecure when it comes to Mets vs Yankees it's absolutely hilarious!!

Your boy tanaka got B slapped by a lineup without their best power hitter from last season. course Houston has a lot of other ways to beat you (really like what they're doing in HOU) besides gattis but if you want to talk about overrated...tanaka with his 91 mph fastball and his elbow held together by guitar strings.
Wow, very sensitive regarding Mr. 25-19. Okay, I understand, nothing to see here.
:rolleyes:

Harvey has been a decent pitcher when healthy but his hype has been bonkers considering he is already 27 and has yet to last 200 innings yet.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
So the Royals trolled Thor by playing American Woman during his warmups yesterday, and Thor dropped the hammer on them, striking out 9 in 6 innings with no runs.
Mets have Philthydelphia at home this weekend.

Harvey has been a decent pitcher when healthy but his hype has been bonkers considering he is already 27 and has yet to last 200 innings yet.

He threw 200 innings including the post season last season...in the year after Tommy John recovery. Obviously you don't realize how exponential of a feat that was. Pitchers aren't supposed to be as good as he was. Another year removed from Tommy John...no doubt he will reach 200 this year. Will this finally have you respect him?

"Decent" is a ridiculous understatement lol!! All of his other peripheral numbers are outstanding, besides his innings pitched in the regular season (ERA, k/bb ratio, whip, etc.) Again, best ERA in majors since his debut behind only kershaw

Can't get any better than this. Yankees open a can of whoopass on Houston. Than to put the cherry on top when Beltran hit a monster home run right under this wonderful sign!!
12924453_10153614124470857_7403639313514043310_n.jpg

I wish that sign was in a part of the stadium where there were some fans. It would look better.

I wish that sign was in a part of the stadium where there were some fans. It would look better.
It was 12-6 on a cold night. There were no fans anywhere by then. It's going to look great all summer long.

Can't get any better than this. Yankees open a can of whoopass on Houston. Than to put the cherry on top when Beltran hit a monster home run right under this wonderful sign!!
12924453_10153614124470857_7403639313514043310_n.jpg

Very nice !!!!

It was 12-6 on a cold night. There were no fans anywhere by then. It's going to look great all summer long.
The spot actually makes plenty of sense. We're not going to pay for the signs right behind home. Better to be in a spot that will be shown during every HR to left field replay that is shown on Sportscenter.

The spot actually makes plenty of sense. We're not going to pay for the signs right behind home. Better to be in a spot that will be shown during every HR to left field replay that is shown on Sportscenter.
Just like again tonight. Tex hits an odd opposite field homer and the Rutgers sign was dead center the whole way.

Just like again tonight. Tex hits an odd opposite field homer and the Rutgers sign was dead center the whole way.
I caught that live. Looked like a nice shot that would two hop into the corner.

I imagine the Mets will have much better crowds for their opening home stand given that their ownership doesn't want to ignore the laws of supply and demand.

I imagine the Mets will have much better crowds for their opening home stand given that their ownership doesn't want to ignore the laws of supply and demand.
You do realize Stub Hub doesn't add fans. Its reselling seats already sold.

You do realize Stub Hub doesn't add fans. Its reselling seats already sold.

It adds fans in attendence, not tickets sold, but I guess some people like the extra room in an empty ball park.

Those empty seats you see have most likely been sold. However, the Yankee brass thinks their product shouldn't be subject to the secondary market. Field level infield seats have a face value of $225 (Section 114B - 1st Base Side). These tickets on a Tuesday night game in April versus the Oakland Athletics does not have a value of $225. Similar tickets on Stubhub now are approximately $110 to $180.

By not allowing digital tickets through Stubhub, the Yankees are inconveniencing their fans and forcing them to pay their price, whether it was through their own ticket office (day of game purchases) or their ticket exchange or buying the tickets well in advance through Stubhub (via UPS etc) or having them walk 10 minutes plus to pick them up.

If the Yankees let the secondary market work on their ticket exchange, instead of the face value being the price floor, I wouldn't have an issue. The problem is the Yankees over value their tickets and rather have the place be half empty than have to admit to season ticket holders they are being ripped off.

It adds fans in attendence, not tickets sold, but I guess some people like the extra room in an empty ball park.

Those empty seats you see have most likely been sold. However, the Yankee brass thinks their product shouldn't be subject to the secondary market. Field level infield seats have a face value of $225 (Section 114B - 1st Base Side). These tickets on a Tuesday night game in April versus the Oakland Athletics does not have a value of $225. Similar tickets on Stubhub now are approximately $110 to $180.

By not allowing digital tickets through Stubhub, the Yankees are inconveniencing their fans and forcing them to pay their price, whether it was through their own ticket office (day of game purchases) or their ticket exchange or buying the tickets well in advance through Stubhub (via UPS etc) or having them walk 10 minutes plus to pick them up.

If the Yankees let the secondary market work on their ticket exchange, instead of the face value being the price floor, I wouldn't have an issue. The problem is the Yankees over value their tickets and rather have the place be half empty than have to admit to season ticket holders they are being ripped off.
I don't see where you think it adds people in attendance when Opening Day was sold out. Do you have stock in Stub Hub? You do realize the people can sell their tickets on other venues?
I do agree Yankee face value prices are through the roof but you're angst against them not using Stub Hub is crazy. There are other options where a 400 dollar ticket can be sold for $10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT