ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2023 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good riddance to Buck ! He was a disaster in the locker room / had the team totally unprepared for the season and looked like he was waiting to retire !
He stole money from Cohen this year!

FWIW, the Marlins rainout game will not be completed. Looks like the Mets will not be awarded the win, rather, the game simply won't count (although all the records compiled in the game will count). Mets and Marlins officially finish the season with 161 games.

Future is bright.
I’d say that there’s hope based on the significant change in the front office. If this statement is based on the group of Baty, Vientos and Mauricio, however, the jury is still out on these guys, particularly Baty and Vientos. For several reasons. As to the new prospects acquired via trades, we’ll see.

Developing a minor league system is in some ways a numbers game. You need lots of quality options, and then some of them pan out. Prospects. Like prospecting. It’s certainly not clear that the Mets fixed their system with the deadline deals, but at least they got more quality prospects. The bigger and better news is that we now have a guy in charge who has a history of success in a tough situation. THAT gives me reason for optimism, not just the mere existence of a top 10 or 20 or 25 prospect list, which of course every system has, including the bad ones.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
"Departure" ? I don't think I've ever heard it described like that before.
Actually, I was hoping they kept Buck.
A douche bag right to the very end, lol. Please close that Yankees thread, so I can say I never posted a single written word in that rag of a thread. Full of cry baby,excuse making, Mr. May loving, Boone hating,Cashmen hating, Stanton hating,Rodon hating,Donaldson hating and on and on. The Mets were smart enough to realize "The Yankees Way" of throwing good money at bad/old players hasn't worked in 15 years of non-World Series appearances. Nice try being "buyers", what a bunch of doofuses in The Dead Zone. I didn't post one word in that rag thread, not one you loser clown. 🤡 💩 😁

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kbee3 and WhiteBus
Hello Craig Counsell?? With these moves, I find it hard to believe that Stearns isn't behind some of these decisions, particularly some of the trades.
There can be no question that Stearns made the decision on Buck. The trades happened before the Mets could legally speak with Stearns. There certainly could have been back channel communications. I guess we'll never know what role, if any, Stearns had in the trades.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I would add that certainly Stearns and Counsell have had numerous discussions. They must know one another's intentions. We don't, but we will.

I would not necessarily assume that Counsell is Stearns' guy. Stearns inherited Counsell, he did not hire him. Stearns has never hired a manager.

Yesterday Counsell was asked about the Mets vacancy. He said how excited he was about the Brewers postseason opportunity in front of him, and was solely focused on that. The standard and correct response. Certainly not a denial.

Last edited:
We will see this winter if the Big Spending chapter of the Cohen ownership is over. It didn't yield great results and we will still be paying salaries for players on other teams in 2024 (I think).

I still think 2024 is a tweener year; maybe they go over .500 and wait for the prospects to pan out. Depends on how much they want to spend and what direction Stearns wants to take (i.e. are they really writing off 2024 like Scherzer indicated)?

There can be no question that Stearns made the decision on Buck. The trades happened before the Mets could legally speak with Stearns. There certainly could have been back channel communications. I guess we'll never know what role, if any, Stearns had in the trades.
Knowing Cohen, I would not be surprised that Stearns was giving input in make those deadline trades.

I would add that certainly Stearns and Counsell have had numerous discussions. They must know one another's intentions. We don't, but we will.

I would not necessarily assume that Counsell is Stearns' guy. Stearns inherited Counsell, he did not hire him. Stearns has never hired a manager.

Yesterday Counsell was asked about the Mets vacancy. He said how excited he was about the Brewers postseason opportunity in front of him, and was solely focused on that. The standard and correct response. Certainly not a denial.
It is funny how somone is going to ask that of a coach leading his team into the playoffs and hoped for ay other type of response...

We will see this winter if the Big Spending chapter of the Cohen ownership is over. It didn't yield great results and we will still be paying salaries for players on other teams in 2024 (I think).

I still think 2024 is a tweener year; maybe they go over .500 and wait for the prospects to pan out. Depends on how much they want to spend and what direction Stearns wants to take (i.e. are they really writing off 2024 like Scherzer indicated)?
The answer to that question is maybe. Depends on Verlander. He has a player option for 2024 for $35M which vests if he pitches 140 innings. If he pitches 140 innings, and if he then exercises the option, the Mets are on the hook for 50%, which is $17.5M.

here is the thing with the Met's big spending-
1) JV...obvious, his injury hurt big time but he ended up having a solid year.
2) Senga- worth every dollar
3) Q - looks to be worth it
4) Navaez- over paid and Alvarez made him a mute point.
5) Robertson - worth every dollar

You really can't count the guys we were just trying to keep- Nimmo/Diaz/Ottavino and then extending McNeil

So- the 1 single BIG spend was JV but it was really a choice between him or deGrom and we actually made a better choice.

For 2024- We are still going to hear the same old crap from everyone and the payroll- but, we have to live with it because it is now dead money. We are on the hook for Max and JV. Myself-
I would actually see if Robertson may be willing to come back for a 1 year deal and obviously, not the closer.
Need to extend Pete...You can write down 40+ 110+ at least the next 5 years, if not more.
Find a corner OF and go after a couple of starters like the Japanese SP and J Montgomery.
We are still going to spend, as we need to field a team but we may not have to go after any of the big tickets this year.

Serious question for the smart Mets fan on the serve (so please don't answer @yesrutgers01 and @RUfinally2008. Thank you. )

This was the worst season in Mets history factoring in payroll and expectations and many even saying worst season in baseball history. Many of you were very vocal in the off-season when the Mets were spending big. Curious what any of you learned this season and what you would point too as the biggest reason for this disaster?

here is the thing with the Met's big spending-
1) JV...obvious, his injury hurt big time but he ended up having a solid year.
2) Senga- worth every dollar
3) Q - looks to be worth it
4) Navaez- over paid and Alvarez made him a mute point.
5) Robertson - worth every dollar

You really can't count the guys we were just trying to keep- Nimmo/Diaz/Ottavino and then extending McNeil

So- the 1 single BIG spend was JV but it was really a choice between him or deGrom and we actually made a better choice.

For 2024- We are still going to hear the same old crap from everyone and the payroll- but, we have to live with it because it is now dead money. We are on the hook for Max and JV. Myself-
I would actually see if Robertson may be willing to come back for a 1 year deal and obviously, not the closer.
Need to extend Pete...You can write down 40+ 110+ at least the next 5 years, if not more.
Find a corner OF and go after a couple of starters like the Japanese SP and J Montgomery.
We are still going to spend, as we need to field a team but we may not have to go after any of the big tickets this year.
Yamamoto will be a big ticket.

We are still on the hook for Marte for two years. I don't see us "recruiting over him" yet.

Serious question for the smart Mets fan on the serve (so please don't answer @yesrutgers01 and @RUfinally2008. Thank you. )

This was the worst season in Mets history factoring in payroll and expectations and many even saying worst season in baseball history. Many of you were very vocal in the off-season when the Mets were spending big. Curious what any of you learned this season and what you would point too as the biggest reason for this disaster?
It is funny that maybe one of the dumbest sports poster on this site is so intimidated by his superiors.
But to answer- the biggest reason for the failure was trying to follow the footsteps of the highest spending organization in baseball over the past decade and 1/2 and think it works.

Yamamoto will be a big ticket.

We are still on the hook for Marte for two years. I don't see us "recruiting over him" yet.
Let's hope that Mare can get back to his 2022 level.

Yamamoto...how big of a ticket would you extect?20+ per year and long term or similar to Senga?

I also expect to see a couple of trades- most likely one of the 3 guys that came up this year not named Alvarez.

It is funny that maybe one of the dumbest sports poster on this site is so intimidated by his superiors.
But to answer- the biggest reason for the failure was trying to follow the footsteps of the highest spending organization in baseball over the past decade and 1/2 and think it works.
The LA Dodgers have had good success over the past 15 years. Not sure why you are calling them out? The Mets biggest screw ups were:

1. Signing old ass pitchers to lead the rotation (sooner or later father time wins)
2. Letting your closer play in a meaningless exhibition
3. Assuming you had enough offense

Reactions: superfan01
. . .

I also expect to see a couple of trades- most likely one of the 3 guys that came up this year not named Alvarez.
For what, pocket change? GMs don't get to make trades of the prospects that they're no longer interested in after a weak year in the majors and get in return anything meaningful. Trades for meaningful pieces require someone on the other side who really wants your players. That ain't happening with these guys that even you seem to want to get rid of. Maybe the Mets can get something for the other prospects that they picked up this summer, but why would they do that? That said, it'll be interesting to see how Stearns runs things.

Let's hope that Mare can get back to his 2022 level.

Yamamoto...how big of a ticket would you extect?20+ per year and long term or similar to Senga?

From what I have read, Yamamoto is more highly regarded than Senga was. Plus Yamamoto is five years younger. I think we're talking 20+ for seven.

From what I have read, Yamamoto is more highly regarded than Senga was. Plus Yamamoto is five years younger. I think we're talking 20+ for seven.
Correct and there will seemingly be a bigger bidding war for him as he's considered more of an ace.

I would go for him and then either Montgomery/Eduardo Rodriguez. No QO attached to them. Would look into signing Tyler Mahle off TJ could get a good deal there and he was solid pre surgery. Get some pen additions.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

You are the dumbest poster on these boards so I'm going to add you to The 3 Amigos. Think, The Big Ten with 16 teams soon to be 18 and still calling themselves The Big Ten,lol. Plenty of articles calling the 2nd highest payroll a disaster also, but I fully understand that logic is above your pay grade.

Last edited:
The LA Dodgers have had good success over the past 15 years. Not sure why you are calling them out? The Mets biggest screw ups were:

1. Signing old ass pitchers to lead the rotation (sooner or later father time wins)
And could you give us a reason the Yankees sucked superfan01's ballsak this season since you're such an expert? Afterall, it seems the Yankees 15 year run of not making it to The Fall Classic has been dismissed by such knowledgeable baseball minds? 😁

You are the dumbest poster on these boards so I'm going to add you to The 3 Amigos. Think, The Big Ten with 16 teams soon to be 18 and still calling themselves The Big Ten,lol. Plenty of articles calling the 2nd highest payroll a disaster also, but I fully understand that logic is above your pay grade.
Yanks finished 82-80 above .500 in hardest division in baseball. It wasn't a good year but no where near as bad as the Mets spending 450mm and being 12 games under.

And could you give us a reason the Yankees sucked superfan01's ballsak this season since you're such an expert? Afterall, it seems the Yankees 15 year run of not making it to The Fall Classic has been dismissed by such knowledgeable baseball minds? 😁
1. Stupid analytics
2. Old free agents
3. Underperforming farm system (which is also tied to #1)

1) Imagine if they had some younger guys like Rodon, Montes, Severino, Germain to lead their staff
2) Not having a closer
3) Besides Judge when healthy - good thing you have some other big tickets like DJ/Rizzo/Stanton

Can we go on? You are actually right on your points but since you all cry into your panties over at the Yankee thread, we just don't bother you all over there.

As for calling out the Dodgers- since 2010
Yankees have spent $2.95 billion for (0) ALCS (0) WS Championships - 5 times highest payroll and 4 times number 2
Dodgers have spent $2.72 billion for (3) NLCS (1) WS Championships - 6 times highest payroll and 1 time number 2
Mets have spent $1.82 billion for (1) NLCS and (0) WS Championships - 1 time Highest payroll and 1 time number 2

Mets are spending some 💰💰💰 this winter

Google mid January how much pointe 72 or Cohen made in 2023.

Will it be 1.5-2 billion like 2022 ???

15,000,000,000 with the safest tax free bonds @ 5% is a measly $750,000,000

Was up until 2am most nights on vacation last week
So I watched Netflix while wife was sleeeping

The Big Short
The GameStop story
Madoff documentary

MONEY makes More MONEY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT