ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Time stamp was in reference to there was no bad response to what I posted to you coming into the Mets thread stating there was moron. Last season,I didn't make one post in the Yankee thread,zero. Years past, I made plenty. I promise,I won't post in The Dead Zone this season until both the Yankees and Mets are eliminated. You are entertaining to watch though as you burn though thread after thread on a variety of topics leaving a wake of enemies. Comical.
Dude. What's comical is your excuse for the time stamps error. 🤣🤣🤣 BTW did I say anything about the Mets?? Of course not.
I'll stay on the Yankees thread. You stay on the Mets thread. It's very simple, even a guy as insanely stupid as you should understand.

Mets speaking with JD Martinez and our old friend JD Davis per Heyman.
In the comparison of JDs, Martinez >>> Davis.

Interesting NYP article. Highlights:

* Cohen has reportedly given this the go-ahead.
* May be down to NYM and LAA.
* Martinez has already turned down an offer of > $10M from SF.

There is something that I sort of like about the team so far...I had liked what Stearns did during this off season, except we couldn’t sign Alonso.
But the pitching staff- at worst, no one has an improved year, at best- a couple of these guys regain form and a guy like McGill finds his spot and all of a sudden, it is a good staff.
The Trumpets 🎺 seem that they will be lock down and the guys we don’t know enough about- seem like baseball players that you love on a team.
Pick up one more bat and I would really look forward to this

Oy the ABs they want for the likely fruitless Vientos 🤦‍♂️
Funny what a year means. Last year, this board was loaded with proclamations that one of the most important things was to give ABs to the likes of Vientos, Baty, and later Mauricio. Now it's very different.

I still think Baty and Vientos should get shots. They may still have futures as productive players. But I have no problem with them coming off the bench and earning their minutes. They may end up battling each other for minutes at 3d, though I'm still worried about their D.

They could be sent down too, but at 24 they'd be older prospects for AAA.

I wasn’t one of those people. I’ll be pleasantly stunned if Baty or Vientos turn into the missing pieces. Mauricio I do/did like.

Yes, Mauricio has always seemed to have the most potential of the three. And then Alvarez was by far the best prospect. (Ramirez was always paper-thin.)

There is something that I sort of like about the team so far...I had liked what Stearns did during this off season, except we couldn’t sign Alonso.
But the pitching staff- at worst, no one has an improved year, at best- a couple of these guys regain form and a guy like McGill finds his spot and all of a sudden, it is a good staff.
The Trumpets 🎺 seem that they will be lock down and the guys we don’t know enough about- seem like baseball players that you love on a team.
Pick up one more bat and I would really look forward to this

I hope you’re right. But hope always springs eternal…. In the spring.
This team isn’t complete enough to compete with the Braves and Phillies.

Seve looked good again tonight. Vientos just hit his 3rd HR of the spring. Baty was scratched with back tightness and is considered day to day.

Seve looked good again tonight. Vientos just hit his 3rd HR of the spring. Baty was scratched with back tightness and is considered day to day.
If I had to pick one player who is most pivotal for the success of the season, it would be Severino. With Marte a close second.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Need to be very careful with a contract for Alonso. He's overweight and will age very quickly. Think Ryan Howard.
I agree 100% with this. Those 7-10 year contracts never work out well for players pushing 30+. I don't see the Mets throwing Soto or Alonso a 10 year contract. What's Judge have, 9 years left on his? I'm betting the high water mark for him in any of the next 9 seasons would be 125 games played. On the field he's the best, but it's hard to be a consistent winning team working around your top player like that.If the Mets can't sign Pete to a 5 or 6 year contract then trade him for prospects at the deadline or let him walk.

If I had to pick one player who is most pivotal for the success of the season, it would be Severino. With Marte a close second.
Severino is a good choice. After that, more generally, I'd like to see much of the the infield have excellent offensive seasons, in particular the two Franciscos, Pete and Jeff, and the outfield play outstanding D. That'd be a good team. Good performances at 3d and DH would be nice too, but it's not what I'd be relying on.

I agree 100% with this. Those 7-10 year contracts never work out well for players pushing 30+. I don't see the Mets throwing Soto or Alonso a 10 year contract. What's Judge have, 9 years left on his? I'm betting the high water mark for him in any of the next 9 seasons would be 125 games played. On the field he's the best, but it's hard to be a consistent winning team working around your top player like that.If the Mets can't sign Pete to a 5 or 6 year contract then trade him for prospects at the deadline or let him walk.
Soto is 25. Not the same as Pete who is 29.

I would be surprised if the last few years of Judge's contract are cost effective, but what are you going to do? The Yanks held firm and he went out and broke the AL HR record in his contract walk year. I guess sometimes the player wins! :)

The guys on the FAN afternoon show put bets in on Severino winning the Cy Young. 200 to 1 odds. If you look at it, there are really no odds on favorites for the award.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Soto wouldn't be so much of a concern with 10 years...by the end of his contract he would still be in his prime and he is a DH...
For Pete- you go 7 years. Good chance that in 3 years, he ends up a DH himself. And if in those 7 years- he gives you 4-5 seasons of 40+ 110+, you got your moneys worth. Even in FA- he is not going to be a 40 mil guy. I'm betting he ends up in the 27-28 per year range.
And for what he could really be worth to the Mets to have a home grown player hit 400-500 HR, it would be well worth it.
And for Pete- he needs to understand what he also gets by staying- let's say he goes to the Angles or someone like that- no way he is the "face" of the team and getting the same type of endorsements and just pure fan appreciation that he gets by staying.

Soto wouldn't be so much of a concern with 10 years...by the end of his contract he would still be in his prime and he is a DH...
For Pete- you go 7 years. . . . .
The problem is . . . Boras. He knows that getting a 10-year deal is the right move for Pete. And he knows the sentiment from Mets fans wanting him back. And Boras has no problem holding out, and holding out.

All that said, Cohen may just decide to pay. Of course, Boras understands that too.

The problem is . . . Boras. He knows that getting a 10-year deal is the right move for Pete. And he knows the sentiment from Mets fans wanting him back. And Boras has no problem holding out, and holding out.

All that said, Cohen may just decide to pay. Of course, Boras understands that too.
I could see that play from both sides...And Cohen maybe upping the annual for a shorter term.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
The Pete contract I floated in the thread last week (7 years $190) was the same or close to what I've seen some writers suggest based on comps. If Boras wasn't Pete's agent I have a feeling it would have been accepted already or within another $10 or so million.

So far, been pleasantly surprised by our starters. Seve looks to be in pre 2023 form. Quintana is pitching well, MeGill is earning a spot and quite honestly- Houser and Maneaa are pretty much who they are. If these 5 keep pitching like this, it may become a real strength when Senga gets back

Severino is a good choice. After that, more generally, I'd like to see much of the the infield have excellent offensive seasons, in particular the two Franciscos, Pete and Jeff, and the outfield play outstanding D. That'd be a good team. Good performances at 3d and DH would be nice too, but it's not what I'd be relying on.
Jeff and Pete will have better BA's this year I bet which will help everything else. I think we see a much better more consistent Alvarez this year. Lindor was pretty great offensively last year if he just repeats that I would be happy. OPS+ of anywhere from 115-125 is about his median.

Baty and Vientos are the wild cards but Vientos continues to hit the ball hard when he makes contact which generally is a good sign of things to come.

So far, been pleasantly surprised by our starters. Seve looks to be in pre 2023 form. Quintana is pitching well, MeGill is earning a spot and quite honestly- Houser and Maneaa are pretty much who they are. If these 5 keep pitching like this, it may become a real strength when Senga gets back
I don't have faith in Megill doing it long term during the season. He's never had quite the velocity that he had during that two month stretch on which we all pin our hopes. And that drop in velocity has mattered. Sure, he hits 95, 96, sometimes even 97. But he also hits 92, 93, and Two-month Megill soared past 98 and mowed people down. Also, the Post did a piece last month on his new splitter, suggesting that it might be a game-changer for him. So far, I haven't seen much of it, though I admittedly haven't seen all his starts.

Anyway, I hope he improves. But I would never bet on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT