ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 NY Yankees Season Thread

That was my first thought about this as well. Boras playing chess while everyone else plays checkers.
Cole has been one of the most durable pitchers around…Boras isn’t playing shit. 2 weeks from opening day and one CY Young client has not chance to repeat, another SP on his first big contract is shitting his pants, a DH who has to be wondering where his last paycheck is coming from and a couple of other clients who blinked.,,

Reactions: KT8813
Cole has been one of the most durable pitchers around…Boras isn’t playing shit. 2 weeks from opening day and one CY Young client has not chance to repeat, another SP on his first big contract is shitting his pants, a DH who has to be wondering where his last paycheck is coming from and a couple of other clients who blinked.,,
It all depends upon where they end up and what they get paid. They are all millionaires already so they aren't hurting for a paycheck. If Snell waits until the trade deadline and someone makes a move to win a World Series or salvage their season, I'm sure it's going to be a positive one for him.

It all depends upon where they end up and what they get paid. They are all millionaires already so they aren't hurting for a paycheck. If Snell waits until the trade deadline and someone makes a move to win a World Series or salvage their season, I'm sure it's going to be a positive one for him.
for the most part-though, for a guy like Montgomery his earning of let's say 8-10 mil over 5 or 6 years...he is not set for life- he is also at the point where he should be signing for generational wealth.

Reactions: Rhuarc
60 years ago,Whitey Ford went 11 innings on Opening Day.
Starters are no longer as important as they were in Whitey's day.
Middle relievers and set up men are vastly underrated.

60 years ago,Whitey Ford went 11 innings on Opening Day.
Starters are no longer as important as they were in Whitey's day.
Middle relievers and set up men are vastly underrated.
Though a starter that give you 6+ and 2 earned runs vs the normal starter that give you 5 innings and 3+ run(which is the new normal with 8-10k) the former is that much more valuable. Cole has been someone to rely on for years. He is a big hit

So for the Padres as a result of trading a guy who wasn't coming back any way they end up getting 60% of their starting rotation. In addition all five of these starters are under team control for at least the next two years. If King ends up being as effective as he was with the Yankees at the end of the year, they made out pretty good.

So for the Padres as a result of trading a guy who wasn't coming back any way they end up getting 60% of their starting rotation. In addition all five of these starters are under team control for at least the next two years. If King ends up being as effective as he was with the Yankees at the end of the year, they made out pretty good.
Agree great move. Sometimes you have to face facts and do the best you can with the assets you have. Credit to the Padres for acting early enough and not waiting too long.

I've been saying this about Cashman for years. It's all about filling the seats. To him it's all about the home runs.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Ut oh- you know someone is looking for your Padres thread and going to troll you now…lol

Sorry to the Yankee fans here- couldn’t resist.

It wasn’t a knock on the Yankees.

I've been saying this about Cashman for years. It's all about filling the seats. To him it's all about the home runs.
As I've said before Soto will put up great numbers and analytics freaks along with Kay and Sterling will love him, but he will disappoint you many times during the season.
Last year when the Padres needed him most, April (get off to a good start) and August (when they were trying to claw back into the race) he hit .202 and .219 respectively. His best month was September when they were out of the race.
For every 425 foot homer you'll see three times as many ground balls to second (or more likely a walk) with a runner in scoring position.
Pro Soto guys will talk about him hitting .299 RISP but again when were these hits? Also half of his HRs were with the bases empty.
In addition he's a brutal outfielder. He couldn't catch a cold standing naked at the North Pole in a blizzard.

p.s. - You also have to question what kind of guy he's going to be in the clubhouse when he shows up to camp wearing a self proclaimed "The generational Juan Soto" tee shirt.
juan-soto-yankees-spring.jpg

Last edited:
As if the worries about Cole's health and Judge's as well isn't enough, the Yankees get to start the reguar season with four games at Houston. Not ideal way to kick things off.

Last edited:
At some point the players on the Yankees have to pull their panties up and just produce some results. I figure it's playoffs or bust with this team and if they don't make it, everybody is gone. Might be a win/win situation.

for the most part-though, for a guy like Montgomery his earning of let's say 8-10 mil over 5 or 6 years...he is not set for life- he is also at the point where he should be signing for generational wealth.
He's made a bit over $20 million. He's set for life unless he's a moron.

Reactions: MitchLL and Kbee3
Your right- the first google I did on him missed 2023 where he got 10 mil.
Yes, he should be good for life.
But, he is in a profession that he is at the generational contract. His expectation is that he would be getting that $20 mil per year.
Watching the short term with mult op outs can’t have him too excited right now.

When you quote a salary it's misleadingly. Same with the media talking about lottery winners. A person that wins a Powerball jackpot listed as a billion $, isn't a billionaire.

This guy is at least fourth in line at catcher for the Yankees. And I doubt they'll be bringing three with them when they start the regular season
I had read that article before it was posted here and I was thinking, "who the F is this guy and he's a Yankees catcher?"

I had read that article before it was posted here and I was thinking, "who the F is this guy and he's a Yankees catcher?"
I would post a "who the hell is this" gif, but on a plane right now. :)

Boyz...lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Everything that has happened since spring training started indicates a massive shitshow...at least early on.

I know we like to focus on the negative in this thread, but it should be mentioned that Rodon tore the Phils a new butthole today by throwing a no hitters for almost 6 innings. Lord knows we're gonna need him to play well.

Oh and Torre made the pitching change in the 6th, just like old times!

I know we like to focus on the negative in this thread, but it should be mentioned that Rodon tore the Phils a new butthole today by throwing a no hitters for almost 6 innings. Lord knows we're gonna need him to play well.

Oh and Torre made the pitching change in the 6th, just like old times!
Let's see what Rodon is doing in Sept or Oct. In other news, another Boris client gives up and signs a 1-year prove it deal. Snell to SF.

Boyz...lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Everything that has happened since spring training started indicates a massive shitshow...at least early on.
I learned a long time ago to never get too excited one way or the other about Spring training.

Reactions: MitchLL
I learned a long time ago to never get too excited one way or the other about Spring training.
That almost goes for the first quarter of the season as well. And in today's baseball- it is just about getting into the playoffs by any means possible.

They need to get off to a good start. Just a few games above .500 each month guarantees a playoff spot nowadays. After that, it's all about who peaks at the right time.

Reactions: RUPete
They need to get off to a good start. Just a few games above .500 each month guarantees a playoff spot nowadays. After that, it's all about who peaks at the right time.
Totally agree. The baseball season allows you enough time to get off to a crappy start and still recover, but it’s much easier if you avoid that and get off to a mediocre start at worst. Get off to a lousy start and you’re looking at a month of winning the majority of your series to right the ship.

Totally agree. The baseball season allows you enough time to get off to a crappy start and still recover, but it’s much easier if you avoid that and get off to a mediocre start at worst. Get off to a lousy start and you’re looking at a month of winning the majority of your series to right the ship.
Look at the 2023 Phillies. Bad start, 2nd half great.

Look at the 2023 Phillies. Bad start, 2nd half great.
Yeah, but you’d rather not go that route. Particularly in NY where the fans are ready to fire everyone every day. Not saying Philly is any better, just best to avoid crappy starts if possible.

Yeah, but you’d rather not go that route. Particularly in NY where the fans are ready to fire everyone every day. Not saying Philly is any better, just best to avoid crappy starts if possible.
Go 4-5 wins over .500 each month and you have no worries. Even if you have a 2-3 win month once or twice, you will most likely be in the playoffs

Reactions: RUPete
It will be tough to avoid a bad start. If you think the Yankees are a top team right now, good luck.

It will be tough to avoid a bad start. If you think the Yankees are a top team right now, good luck.
I’m not a Yankee fan but I think they have enough to tread water. The problem is that their division is tough so you would have to look at the other WC contenders if you got off to that type of start.

It all depends upon the starting pitching. If it all craps out, we reset with new leadership and some kids next year.

It all depends upon the starting pitching. If it all craps out, we reset with new leadership and some kids next year.
BTW do we all believe that Cole could be back sometime in May? I'll first say the Yankees aren't the only team that just kicks the can down the street instead of giving real injuries answers. But we have seen way too many positive injury updates over the last few years to lead you to believe most of it's BS. Judge's injury last year where we first heard he just needed rest. Or everytime Stanton goes on the 10 day IL and we don't see him back for months.
Anyway they will need Stanton being the young Stanton again, Rodon the great pitcher, DJ and the rest of the guys hitting for average and less strike outs.
We are due for a season of beating the odds.

Stanton with three straight home runs and eight RBIs yesterday vs. Pittsburgh is a good sign. If he could return to being a productive hitter, the Yankees lineup could be scary good.
Of course, it was the same pitcher for all three homers and it is preseason....so make of it what you will.
One week until the real season starts. 🧑‍🦯

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT