ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UNC & NCAA COI Meet Today...

FYI... approximate timeline:

COI Meeting: August 16-17 2017

COI Report: November 2017

UNC will appeal the NCAA's decision, of course.

NCAA Final Report: March/April 2018

Maybe it's the FAKE NCAA that is handling out these insane decisions? The real NCAA is probably buried deep in a vault beneath UNC, Baylor or Happy Valley and are mummified- awaiting future Indiana Jones's to reveal their tragic fate.

MO

All this drama over what? A few phony classes a couple of players on the take? Been going on for decades.

It doesn't make it right, but it has been going on for decades. Most of these guys in big time football and basketball programs are not real students. But the games are fun to watch and that's really all that matters.

Reactions: RU31trap
As you may know, the NCAA's "case" is based on UNC's own Wainstein Report, in which UNC asked Ken Wainstein to investigate the AFAM program only and for a specific period of time. This was the school's 6th review of the alleged improprieties, and came about only after additional incriminating info became public and forced the school and the NCAA to re-open the matter.

In his investigation and subsequent report, Wainstein reveals that "anomalous" i.e. fake classes went beyond the time frame requested and involved a half-dozen other academic departments, as well as forged signatures on grades changes, student-athlete placement in fake classes, classes for only athletes, etc. He supported his findings by including hundreds of emails. He offered to investigate those other departments for free. UNC said, "No thanks."

The COI has all this "additional" info, of course, as well as the SACS report, the report from the accreditation agency that had placed UNC on academic probation as a result of the fake AFAM classes. And the transcripts, which, among other things, reveal that 23 of the first 25 students who took the earliest fake classes were... Dean Smith's MBB players.

I suspect that the COI will leverage all this, forcing UNC to accept a fair punishment. Should UNC push back, the COI may add charges to the list of allegations.

I also suspect that reps from more than a few prominent schools have worked the NCAA, adding pressure that "their" association punish UNC for this greatest cheating scandal in the history of the NCAA.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
...and you say you don't troll...

Joe P.
I stand by what I said. This has been going on forever and in my opinion far worse in the past 60's & 70's. There is a tremendous amount of hypocrisy in college athletics specifically in Basketball and Football. How many Universities truly enforce the idea of a student athlete? How many universities turned the other cheek and allowed TA'a to take tests for athletes? Finally, how many universities paid athletes and their families to come and play for their school? Troll? Cmon JOERU, I have to believe you know this has been a reality for decades. As for the NCAA stopping it completely and enforcing strict admission standards, NEVER!! It would dilute the talent pool, stifle viewership numbers and fiscally decimate athletic budgets in most southern schools. UNC will get what I call a window dressing slap on the wrist and that's it.

I stand by what I said. This has been going on forever and in my opinion far worse in the past 60's & 70's. There is a tremendous amount of hypocrisy in college athletics specifically in Basketball and Football. How many Universities truly enforce the idea of a student athlete? How many universities turned the other cheek and allowed TA'a to take tests for athletes? Finally, how many universities paid athletes and their families to come and play for their school? Troll? Cmon JOERU, I have to believe you know this has been a reality for decades. As for the NCAA stopping it completely and enforcing strict admission standards, NEVER!! It would dilute the talent pool, stifle viewership numbers and fiscally decimate athletic budgets in most southern schools. UNC will get what I call a window dressing slap on the wrist and that's it.

You seemed to be arguing initially that what they were doing was 'no big deal'; if I recall correctly they didn't just make up classes, I think they made up an entire department. I honestly do not care what any penalties do to any athletic departments when you do something like that; if you MAKE UP AN ENTIRE DEPARTMENT it goes beyond even the underbelly of college sports in my opinion.

Joe P.

Last edited:
RUinPinehurst, I hope you're right about the NCAA's response. I think a post season ban should also be included.
All this drama over what? A few phony classes a couple of players on the take? Been going on for decades.
Given your moral compass, your response is not surprising whatsoever.

You seemed to be arguing initially that what they were doing was 'no big deal'; if I recall correctly they didn't just make up classes, I think they made up an entire department. I honestly do not care what any penalties do to any athletic departments; if you MAKE UP AN ENTIRE DEPARTMENT it goes beyond even the underbelly of college sports in my opinion.

Joe P.

He is a diehard Penn State BTW, so i am not shocked he would write something like that.

Too late for that. NCAA is pissed for being repeatedly told to grab their ankles. UNC will have to sacrifice some programs - maybe WBB and soccer - in order to allow FB and MBB to skate by.
Nah, too important. Their men's ice hockey team (Division II) will be in deep trouble.

COI meetings have concluded. Ol' Roy? Not looking too happy as he exits.

media_f4e6c976185d4a62960de0716358bae3-DMID1-5bso6haqg-640x360.jpg

RUinPinehurst, I hope you're right about the NCAA's response. I think a post season ban should also be included.

Given your moral compass, your response is not surprising whatsoever.
Then the NCAA should grow some balls and strip Florida of their NC for having 37 arrests in one year with 15 of which were felony charges. They should strip the 1985 Oklahoma team for blatantly paying athletes and parents. Cmon Spank, with the moral compass comment. You sound like a Sunday school choir boy who wallowes in a world of fiction. College athletics past and present can be a very filthy business.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT