ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

I agree (with the HT analysis) that the team appears to lack chemistry with players in roles outside their comfort zone. But it’s not clear what the US players are supposed to be doing vs what they’re actually doing.

The usual problem of being a bit slow and lazy with passes is not helpful.
Yes. Watching Robinson is a bit shocking to me. If you saw him with Fulham you'd wonder who is this guy out there tonight. He looks like he doesn't know where to go with the ball, doesn't know when to make a run. Baffling.

On the bright side - Reyna has been very aggressive. He keeps this up and he will be very valuable for us moving forward.

The oft-criticized Reem has had a nice game on D so far, amid a lot of mediocre play, although we're looking crisper the last couple of minutes.

Is it my imagination or are there a few throw-ins being done where the players are almost throwing it from near the side of the head using more of one hand than the other?

I really think Dest and Weah should switch spots.
Weah has been effective in the second half. Dest would, IMO, make a better central mid than winger. But not sure who I’d displace to make that happen.

1) I can't name 5 guys who have played for us ever that would've scored with their "other" leg like Reyna just did.
2) On my point above. I really think Weah could be our right back and could be good there. Couple that with Dest is so gifted offensively but defensively he seems to make 1 or 2 weird mistakes a game.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Weah has been effective in the second half. Dest would, IMO, make a better central mid than winger. But not sure who I’d displace to make that happen.
Central or not - he scares me defensively. But you have to play him on this team with his gifts.

Reactions: mildone
Central or not - he scares me defensively. But you have to play him on this team with his gifts.
Totally agree. His D is all athletic versus technical adeptness. Not ideal at all.

If he was better at entry passes, I could see him in the wing.

Another glorious dos e cero win over El Tri. I have to disagree with the posts criticizing USA play in the first half. I thought the USA was fine - except for the first 5-10 minutes. I also think the USA has finally mastered the CONCACAF-style. Mexico was thoroughly outclassed all night. (Fun fact - they haven’t beaten us in over four and a half years!)

Mexico fans continue to be among the worst fans on Earth. Nothing more needs to be written about them.

Reyna, Adams, Pulisic, Ream, Robinson and Dest stood out to me.

One other note - Reyna was dropping much deeper into the US defensive end to receive balls. I don’t like GGG as our coach, but liked this tweak. More touches for Reyna is a good thing.

Reactions: rutger80
Another glorious dos e cero win over El Tri. I have to disagree with the posts criticizing USA play in the first half. I thought the USA was fine - except for the first 5-10 minutes. I also think the USA has finally mastered the CONCACAF-style. Mexico was thoroughly outclassed all night. (Fun fact - they haven’t beaten us in over four and a half years!)

Mexico fans continue to be among the worst fans on Earth. Nothing more needs to be written about them.

Reyna, Adams, Pulisic, Ream, Robinson and Dest stood out to me.
That wasn't one of the more impressive Mexico squads.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because these mid club season international breaks don't allow much time for training and tactics, but we look like we didn't know what we were doing. At times, pulisic, reyna, and Robinson were all trying to be the widest player down the left. Reyna and weston would also end up on the same side and out of position. Wasnt sure if the fullbacks were supposed to make overlapping or underlapping runs. No one attacking in the channels. Was Haji supposed to be a hold up guy? If so, where were the guys making runs in behind and attacking the posts? And midfielders giving him passing options with his back to goal? Were we supposed to be counter pressing with a high line? Or sitting in a compact mid block? Were we trying to be a possession based attack or a counterattacking one?

We had elements of everything at various times, but not everyone was on the same page. A few guys would trigger the press, but not everyone did their job. We would start building from the back and then gio or Ream would play a speculative long diagonal. We would turn Mexico over and try to quick counter them, but only 2 or 3 guys would break fwd. It was all incoherent.

Imo, we won that game because we just have more talent than Mexico. Not because we outschemed them or played any sort of good gameplan.

Last edited:
Really underrated performance from Tim Ream...is there a way that his legs make it another 2 years until 2026? Probably not, but he should be a big part of the squad this summer.

Reactions: RU848789
It's also a huge issue for us that an ancient Tim Ream is better than anyone else we have produced in the past 5 years, especially considering how much improvement in talent we have seen everywhere else on the pitch.

It's also a huge issue for us that an ancient Tim Ream is better than anyone else we have produced in the past 5 years, especially considering how much improvement in talent we have seen everywhere else on the pitch.
Ream has put in some really good performances. I think it speaks to how much he’s improved and/or maintained his level at his age.

Really underrated performance from Tim Ream...is there a way that his legs make it another 2 years until 2026? Probably not, but he should be a big part of the squad this summer.

I mentioned both of these guys last night as players I was most impressed with. Pulisic was a wizard with the ball making some sparkling moves and great passes, even though he didn't score, and Ream was just so solid on D, always in the right place and making the right plays.

Ream has put in some really good performances. I think it speaks to how much he’s improved and/or maintained his level at his age.
It helps that he plays in the Prem and competing against top talent in the world almost every week. This is why guys like miles Robinson are doing themselves a professional disservice by staying in mls. I understand that there are other factors in these decisions, but from a strictly footballing perspective, it's horrible. Ream has surprised even Fulham fans with his longevity. He and Antonee Robinson have formed a really good combo down that left side for them.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT