ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What car to buy?

zealott

Freshman
Sep 20, 2014
California
17 million new cars were sold in the US in the last year. I would like to add a second to that tally.

I have shortened the list to the Lexus GS-hybrid (not liking the grill on the 2016 though), Audi A6 , Acura RLX or Jaguar XF.

Would prefer it not be a BMW or Mercedes. Open to other suggestions. Don't need a muscle car or 400 horses.

The missis hauls an Odyssey. I think a sedan will be a complimentary vehicle rather than a SUV.

I have seen these kinds of threads here in the past with tons of information. I guess they are not archived as I'm unable to retrieve them.

First: "Oh, no... not again".

Second: There will undoubtedly be somebody who says "get an Accord". They always do this, because they don't know anything about cars and can't discern from the OP that an Accord isn't in consideration, nor would one ever be driven by somebody who is actively shopping luxury sports sedans. In fact, the left-field suggestions from posters on these threads who insist that you explore cars that are nothing like the target... well, it's practically sport, here.

With that out of the way...

The Lexus is a great car if you like a smooth ride, smooth power delivery, lots of bells and whistles and don't want the experience of driving to be too intrusive. As Car & Driver put it, "the car to drive for people who would rather be home."

The RLX is sportier, but its styling is a little polarizing - which is to say that you either hate it or find it completely innocuous. So far no one has stepped up to say they love it. Acura is still trying to find that person.

The A6 is the benchmark in its class. By that I mean that if you watch what people are driving in Germany, a black-on-black A6 is the choice of Managing Directors everywhere, hands down. The exterior styling is, obviously, pure corporate Audi. Nobody does a finer interior. They're fast (do NOT get the 2.0T, you have to spring for the supercharged V-6) and they handle beautifully. Audi's AWD systems are more snow-capable than damn near anything on the market at any price.

The XF is much like the Audi, with more of an exterior styling statement. AWD is available with the 340 hp V-6. Jag's interiors are sumptuous. But has Jaguar truly conquered their long-lived reliability demons?

Ru4Real,
Thanks for the information. Sorry I made a typo, meant Lexus ES-hybrid. Not the GS. Thus I am content with 4-cylinders and about 200 Hsp. Why not the Audi 2.0T? I have heard good things about the XF but concerned about reliability.

Ru4Real,
Thanks for the information. Sorry I made a typo, meant Lexus ES-hybrid. Not the GS. Thus I am content with 4-cylinders and about 200 Hsp. Why not the Audi 2.0T? I have heard good things about the XF but concerned about reliability.

It's not going to be very fast. It won't exactly be slow, but... the 2.0T as tuned for the A6 makes 220 hp and 258 lb/ft torque. The supercharged 6 has another 100 horses. It makes a big difference, as none of these cars are light - they're all over 4,000 lbs, fully dressed.

The Lexus ES hybrid is a straight-up slug. Also, Fanu's mocking post becomes more prescient now that you've clarified that selection - the Lexus ES is, in fact, nothing more than a gussied-up Camry.

Oct-1976-Honda-Accord-1024x559.jpg

17 million new cars were sold in the US in the last year. I would like to add a second to that tally.

I have shortened the list to the Lexus GS-hybrid (not liking the grill on the 2016 though), Audi A6 , Acura RLX or Jaguar XF.

Would prefer it not be a BMW or Mercedes. Open to other suggestions. Don't need a muscle car or 400 horses.

The missis hauls an Odyssey. I think a sedan will be a complimentary vehicle rather than a SUV.

I have seen these kinds of threads here in the past with tons of information. I guess they are not archived as I'm unable to retrieve them.

Before you go foreign, give the Caddy CTS a test drive. I am driving my second and love it, although the first was a CTS-V sedan and my current is the CTS-V Coupe. An American car made in America!

First: "Oh, no... not again".

Second: There will undoubtedly be somebody who says "get an Accord". They always do this, because they don't know anything about cars and can't discern from the OP that an Accord isn't in consideration, nor would one ever be driven by somebody who is actively shopping luxury sports sedans. In fact, the left-field suggestions from posters on these threads who insist that you explore cars that are nothing like the target... well, it's practically sport, here.

With that out of the way...

The Lexus is a great car if you like a smooth ride, smooth power delivery, lots of bells and whistles and don't want the experience of driving to be too intrusive. As Car & Driver put it, "the car to drive for people who would rather be home."

The RLX is sportier, but its styling is a little polarizing - which is to say that you either hate it or find it completely innocuous. So far no one has stepped up to say they love it. Acura is still trying to find that person.

The A6 is the benchmark in its class. By that I mean that if you watch what people are driving in Germany, a black-on-black A6 is the choice of Managing Directors everywhere, hands down. The exterior styling is, obviously, pure corporate Audi. Nobody does a finer interior. They're fast (do NOT get the 2.0T, you have to spring for the supercharged V-6) and they handle beautifully. Audi's AWD systems are more snow-capable than damn near anything on the market at any price.

The XF is much like the Audi, with more of an exterior styling statement. AWD is available with the 340 hp V-6. Jag's interiors are sumptuous. But has Jaguar truly conquered their long-lived reliability demons?

Another prime example of why I consider RU4Real the best read on this board.

Did this a couple of years ago and bought a BMW 328 xi.
Didn't like the Mercedes, Audi A4 didn't handle well. A 6 is a different story. Great car.
Acura make a nice car and I heard good things about the Caddy.

I went in blind and after the test drive the BMW was the best. With that said, I recently drove the 2015 3 BMW when I went in for service and I didn't like it as much.

Test drive the A6 and you will probably want it. A 6 was out of my price range.

Unless you could afford private HS for your one kid(40-60k) plus a private out of state upper class college like Villanova or Lehigh (240-300k) plus retirement (1.5-2.5 million especially with no pension, accounting for inflation if you're in 40-50's) total $2-3 millions, I would buy the accord and save for your retirement.

Reactions: vkj91
Maybe you were doing it wrong.

40076_1544108767460_6653395_n.jpg
Nope. Drove them back to back on Route 1 in Edison. Test drove the BMW and directly went across the street to Audi. Got in the A4 and was highly disappointed. The cars steering didn't respond like the BMW. S4 handles wells. Better than the A4. Car had speed and everything else, but the steering was not as good. This was a couple of years ago so maybe they improved since.

Nope. Drove them back to back on Route 1 in Edison. Test drove the BMW and directly went across the street to Audi. Got in the A4 and was highly disappointed. The cars steering didn't respond like the BMW. S4 handles wells. Better than the A4. Car had speed and everything else, but the steering was not as good. This was a couple of years ago so maybe they improved since.

The B8 A4 (which intro'd in 2009) continued the tradition started with the B7 A4 (2005.5 to '08) in that it has electronic power steering. For a while (until the current generation 3 series) BMW had the advantage with a system that was still hydraulically boosted.

Purists prefer the hydraulic systems because they lack road feel. Personally, I thought my B7 A4 handled better than an equivalent 3 series - at least it did after I swapped the 24mm rear sway for a 28mm from an S4.

Regardless, electronic power steering systems have improved over the last few years. They must have, since BMW uses them now.

But really, it's a religious topic. I've never cared for BMW's corporate handling dynamic. I had a 5 series a number of years ago and just found it to be twitchy. Even to the current generation, to me they lack on-center feel and are tedious to drive on certain roads. Now, @RutgersRaRa swears by his Bimmers. And we get along just fine.

A lot of it really does come down to personal preference. Audis are outstanding cars. I test drove an S4 and S5, but went with (another) BMW for my current car. Would have been very happy w/ either, though.

In the Audis, the steering feels especially artificial/overprocessed to me. My BMW isn't perfect, by any means, but just felt better to me. I still prefer hydraulic steering, but that's no longer an option unless you buy a pre-2012 model.

Anyway, some of this is irrelevant to the OP, who I think would probably most enjoy the A6, out of those choices.

If you have the money and you want the safest, most amazing luxury sedan in existence, go with a Tesla Model S (unless of course you drive more than 200 miles each day).

If you have the money and you want the safest, most amazing luxury sedan in existence, go with a Tesla Model S (unless of course you drive more than 200 miles each day).

Yeah if you love to get on a waiting list to own a car, do that....

Maybe you were doing it wrong.

40076_1544108767460_6653395_n.jpg
I hit this in my 79 Berlinetta. I swear the rear had to be 2:1 as i was only turning about 2400 on the tach... Of course that was when I had a case of oil belted in the back seat instead of kids car seats. Oh the simpler times.

Check out the caddie. I like the Audi. It's understated.

Yeah if you love to get on a waiting list to own a car, do that....

It's a little bit more than a month between the formal order and delivery of a Model S right now. But if that's too long to wait for such an important purchase, sure, eliminate the best American car in existence from consideration.

My solar panels are currently saving me $100 a month on electricity over what I used to pay AND they are producing so much excess power that I am "banking" enough kWhs each month that I could charge a Tesla right now with the power I'm already buying. I'll be on a Tesla waiting list in the future with a smile on my face.

If you can wait a year I think they will be doing a refresh or redesign for the ES next year. Also, the RLX will get a refresh next year. Not sure where in the cylce the Audi or Jag is. Also, by waiting you may get a good deal on a leftover from the prior model year.

The real reason why most people end up with a BMW is because of their leasing program.

Maybe the reason our endowment is not up to par is that alumni are more interested in buying a Lexus than an Accord with larger donations.

The real reason why most people end up with a BMW is because of their leasing program.
They do have a great leasing program. I bought mine because I drive a lot but I would lease in the future.

Just read your OP again and saw the above quote, which I apparently missed the first time I read it. This changes everything.

Strike my recommendation for an Accord. While it's an amazing car and unarguably the hands down best car on the road in any price or category, it simply cannot overcome the negatives of owning a minivan.

Nope, in order to compensate for the emasculation of having a minivan in your garage, you need to get a bit more extreme. A Lamborghini or Ferrari would be pure overcompensation and everybody would know you're trying way too hard to get back your man card.

Hm... I've got it. You need to pick up a 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 RS. In black. Take it to the track and set some course records and people might just be willing to overlook your possession of a minivan. Best of all, you just might reclaim your manhood.

2015-porsche-911-gt3-rs-spy-image-3-images-porsche-911-gt3-rs-spied-9942147.jpg

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Have to agree with lawmatt. Of the given choices, the A6 is the best, at least for my taste.

Not sure why you would exclude the best possible choice via your criteria, and by far the most fun to drive. While it's true the Audi handles snow the best, the BMW isn't far behind and is a better ride on dry pavement, due to its rear drive bias.

The BMW 3 series defined the segment, has handling second to none, gets excellent gas mileage (25-30 mpg) ,goes 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, in it's 4cyl guise (328 xi), and goes 0-60 in 4.8 seconds in its 6 cyl form.(335xi).

You can get a great deal on a 2015, as the 2016s will be significantly upgraded with more powerful engines. If you want 2 doors, you would get the four series.

The BMW 3/4 series outsold the Audi A4+A5+A6, by a nearly 2:1 margin in the US in May.

I would recommend test driving the BMW 3/4 series as well as the Audi A6 and choosing what you like best.

I would just pick up Consumer Reports and buy whichever one is the most reliable/highest rated.

Because when you are buying a "luxury sport car," at best you paying a pretty penny if everything goes favorably.

BUT, if things go WRONG and you have to deal with a car that starts to have a lot of issues and maintenance issues then you will be PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE!

So at least if you are going to buy one of these cars and pay all the extra money for it.... be sure you are getting the most reliable, quality car you possibly can.

I would just pick up Consumer Reports and buy whichever one is the most reliable/highest rated.

Because when you are buying a "luxury sport car," at best you paying a pretty penny if everything goes favorably.

BUT, if things go WRONG and you have to deal with a car that starts to have a lot of issues and maintenance issues then you will be PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE!

So at least if you are going to buy one of these cars and pay all the extra money for it.... be sure you are getting the most reliable, quality car you possibly can.

Huh?

Why would you PAY THROUGH THE NOSE for anything that happens with a new car? They're under warranty.

Huh?

Why would you PAY THROUGH THE NOSE for anything that happens with a new car? They're under warranty.

Well obviously I am talking after the warranty is over. Unless I am mistaken warranties are only good for what like 5 years/50K on most brands these days?

Feel free to let me know if that is wrong I haven't checked out all the brands warranties in a couple of years though.

Well obviously I am talking after the warranty is over. Unless I am mistaken warranties are only good for what like 5 years/50K on most brands these days?

Feel free to let me know if that is wrong I haven't checked out all the brands warranties in a couple of years though.

Not advisable to own cars like these. You lease them, IMO, so you're never out of warrantee. After the lease is up, you lease another one.

Not advisable to own cars like these. You lease them, IMO, so you're never out of warrantee. After the lease is up, you lease another one.

Yeah exactly the maintenance costs on these brands are much higher relative to the other brands.

Hey OP are you considering buying or leasing the car?

It's a little bit more than a month between the formal order and delivery of a Model S right now. But if that's too long to wait for such an important purchase, sure, eliminate the best American car in existence from consideration.

My solar panels are currently saving me $100 a month on electricity over what I used to pay AND they are producing so much excess power that I am "banking" enough kWhs each month that I could charge a Tesla right now with the power I'm already buying. I'll be on a Tesla waiting list in the future with a smile on my face.
Yes, but everyone on your block hates you because your house has ugly panels on the roof.

Yeah, that's about right. The perspective from which I approach these things is that I never keep a car that's past its warranty. The sole exception to the role is my Saab 9-3, which is now 8 years old, has about 90k miles on it and is without both warranty and manufacturer. It's not a "daily driver" and I've kept it because it's just so cherry.

Cars are getting to be more and more like Cellphones. In that you just get a new one every 3-5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT