ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Series in November = crazy.

RUfinally2008

All American
Aug 20, 2005
162 game schedule I love. The longest pro sport season shouldn't have 3 or 5 game series determine who moves on. Hockey and basketball have 7 game series every round,,yes inside sports. Solutions if you have any,here's mine.Spring training is WAY to long cut it by 2 weeks. MLB is going to a balance schedule next year, so have cold weather teams open in domes and warm weather cities where possible. Better to play early season games in cold and inclement weather than the playoffs and World Series.Early season injuries happen every year coming out of spring training anyway so that's not an exuse. March 15th Opening Day, and 7 game playoffs every round, yes or no?

Last edited:
Baseball started over a week late this season because of the lockout which resulted in November playoffs. Pay attention. Next year's Opening Day is March 30th. This year was April 7th. Great changes in the 2023 schedule. Every team will play on March 30th. First time that has happened since 1968. Also baseball has listened to the fans. Every team will play on the 4th of July.
Season ends on October 1st.

Baseball started over a week late this season because of the lockout which resulted in November playoffs. Pay attention. Next year's Opening Day is March 30th. This year was April 7th. Great changes in the 2023 schedule. Every team will play on March 30th. First time that has happened since 1968. Also baseball has listened to the fans. Every team will play on the 4th of July.
I was fully aware of the season starting late, don't always try to find something wrong with my post. You never tried to address shortening spring training and have teams open in warm cities and dome stadiums. Also no mention of the balance schedule that would help tremendously with pulling off a March 15th start. No mention of your idea about every series being 7 games either. Hope the mods see where this thread went down hill, the every first post, geez, your impossible.

Now adhere to a foot on the rubber mandate for all pitchers.
Any violation is a balk and an automatic ball.
Umpires have the ability to override in cases of bad weather, inability to get the sign and use obvious common sense

Umpires have the ability to override in cases of bad weather, inability to get the sign and use obvious common sense
Throw in the fact the shift will be limited in scope and I like the season going forward.

I was fully aware of the season starting late, don't always try to find something wrong with my post. You never tried to address shortening spring training and have teams open in warm cities and dome stadiums. Also no mention of the balance schedule that would help tremendously with pulling off a March 15th start. No mention of your idea about every series being 7 games either. Hope the mods see where this thread went down hill, the every first post, geez, your impossible.
You are complaining in the title thread you created.

OT. World Series in November = crazy.​

Yet you did forget that it is a one time thing. BS that you remembered. Nothing about the future schedule in your title.
As for the rest. Starting the seasons in the same cities is wrong period. Too late to talk about shortening spring training at least until the next contract. I'd rather go back to the Wild Card round go back to one game then go from 3 to 7. You are complaining about the WS in November. That would guarantee it every year. Totally against that. Again you failed to do your research. Complaining about something that is a one time thing when everyone else knew the obvious.

For example the 2018 season started March 29th with the playoffs starting October 2nd and the World Series was scheduled to end October 31st. Riddle me that? Clearly there's a change needed to stop cold weather cities possible playing in November.https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-world-series-schedule-c298399604

Last edited:
You are complaining in the title thread you created.

OT. World Series in November = crazy.​

Yet you did forget that it is a one time thing. BS that you remembered. Nothing about the future schedule in your title.
As for the rest. Starting the seasons in the same cities is wrong period. Too late to talk about shortening spring training at least until the next contract. I'd rather go back to the Wild Card round go back to one game then go from 3 to 7. You are complaining about the WS in November. That would guarantee it every year. Totally against that. Again you failed to do your research. Complaining about something that is a one time thing when everyone else knew the obvious.
So future schedule wasn't in the title, but is was in the post. And again you assume I didn't remember, every argument you have is about jumping to conclusions. Starting the season 2 weeks early guarantees' the World Serie won't enter November. What research didn't I do according to you? Did I give a drop dead date these changes would happen? If you did your research you'd have figured out the World Series comes very close to November, one day short most years, and into November if there were inclement days. Either way, I like my idea of a March 15th start and every series 7 games. I won't let your constant rag derail this thread.

Last edited:
So future schedule wasn't in the title, but is was in the post. And again you assume I didn't remember, every argument you have is about jumping to conclusions. Starting the season 2 weeks early guarantees' the World Serie won't enter November. What research didn't I do according to you? Did I give a drop dead date these changes would happen? If you did your research you'd have figured out the World Series comes every close to November, one day short most years, and into November if there were inclement days. Either way, I like my idea of a March 15th start and every series 7 games. I won't let your constant rag derail this thread.
Glad you like it starting the same weekend as March Maddness. Brilliant. Also the dome and warm city teams are home for the first 2 weeks? Again Brilliant.
A more acceptable way is to go back to 154 game schedule. But neither your idea or mine is happening.

Last edited:
Glad you like it starting the same weekend as March Maddness. Brilliant. Also the dome and warm city teams are home for the first 2 weeks? Again Brilliant.
A more acceptable way is to back to 154 game schedule. But neither your idea or mine is happening.
I see you tried to soften your post by adding that next paragraph,lol. I don't believe MLB Opening Days competing with March Madness is stupid,not one bit.Plenty of interest to go around.NCAA pools not withstanding.March 15th start date gets it done

I see you tried to soften your post by adding that next paragraph,lol. I don't believe MLB Opening Days competing with March Madness is stupid,not one bit.Plenty of interest to go around.NCAA pools not withstanding.March 15th start date gets it done
And the dome teams and warm cities start at home for 2 weeks??

Is this a new problem -- that is, were pitchers doing the same thing when you were playing? The idea appeals to me because pitchers are obviously releasing the ball at a point much shorter thanthe 60 feet, 6 inches mandated by the rules.

And the dome teams and warm cities start at home for 2 weeks??
I don't see it as a problem to justify The Fall Classic being played in 20 degree weather. With early season off days and travel days at most your talking 8 or 9 games in that 14 day period,which you'll get back on the back end of the season. Your making it out to be way more of an issue to help your argument IMHO.

I don't see it as a problem to justify The Fall Classic being played in 20 degree weather. With early season off days and travel days at most your talking 8 or 9 games in that 14 day period,which you'll get back on the back end of the season. Your making it out to be way more of an issue to help your argument IMHO.
You can't let teams start at home for 2 weeks. That is crazy.

Mandate six additional home double headers for each team and you pick up two weeks - opening day, Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day; each team gets three of those each year, plus three additional.

IMO, the long season made more sense before the implementation of Playoffs.

I'd be up for a shortened season.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Mandate six additional home double headers for each team and you pick up two weeks - opening day, Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day; each team gets three of those each year, plus three additional.
Not bad. 👍

You are ...

pgCmcsS.gif

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
There are 4 rounds of playoffs now, right? How about 7 game series every round but end the 1st or 2nd rounds early if either team up 3-0?
I’m also in favor of World Series being a 9 game series (end early if 1 team up say 4-0).
You love the 162 game schedule but for many it’s just too long. Baseball is a warm weather sport. Make opening game 4/15 and end World Series by 10/15 at the very very latest.
For example, last regular season game 8/31 every year. Playoffs in September and World Series starts in late September or early October.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Well you didn't think the Cleveland Indians $29 million payroll was the problem so....
It also doesn't change the problem issue of cold weather games in April.
Oh my God, I said I'd rather play regular season cold weather games in April than cold weather World Series games in November' Rain Man. 29, gotta have 29. Mods, help me out here, or ban me like Whitebus asked in the Yankees thread. I started what I thought was a legit topic, so if it isn't, ban me and move on, sorry he's relentless.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
That's a thought. It could work.

There are 4 rounds of playoffs now, right? How about 7 game series every round but end the 1st or 2nd rounds early if either team up 3-0?
I’m also in favor of World Series being a 9 game series (end early if 1 team up say 4-0).
You love the 162 game schedule but for many it’s just too long. Baseball is a warm weather sport. Make opening game 4/15 and end World Series by 10/15 at the very very latest.
For example, last regular season game 8/31 every year. Playoffs in September and World Series starts in late September or early October.
A little different thought, but I get it.

Oh my God, I said I'd rather play regular season cold weather games in April than cold weather World Series games in November' Rain Man. 29, gotta have 29. Mods, help me out here, or ban me like Whitebus asked in the Yankees thread. I started what I thought was a legit topic, so if it isn't, ban me and move on, sorry he's relentless.
large.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
The dome/warm city teams won't want to open every season at home. Takes away summer dates. This argument has been made in minor leagues for years

Reactions: Terry_2426
Season is too long. As someone who isn’t a die hard baseball fan if your team isn’t good you have to spend 6 months sucking before the season ends and the playoffs start.

Baseball needs pro/rel to be exciting to the average or less than average fan.

The dome/warm city teams won't want to open every season at home. Takes away summer dates. This argument has been made in minor leagues for years
I guess that's a good argument, but maybe MLB compensates them for gaining extra TV money for the owners from the networks for extra revenue by adding 7 game series to those 3 and 5 game rounds. Afterall, those 8 or 9 games played in their stadium under this suggestion, half would have been home games under the current system, so what summer dates are we really talking about giving up, 4 or 5 games?

Last edited:
Season is too long. As someone who isn’t a die hard baseball fan if your team isn’t good you have to spend 6 months sucking before the season ends and the playoffs start.

It would never work or sell here in the US.

I can't see that happening in the USA. Soccer is a whole different ball of wax than baseball in this country.

My idea would be to shorten the season and expand the playoffs. I hope MLB experiments with different concepts in the minor leagues. Why not try split seasons with champions from both seasons making the playoffs? Or having games in the first part of the season only count half as much as in the 2nd half of the season?

i like virtually any rule changes to help shorten the game.

The one thing I would love to see in baseball is a vastly enhanced WBC (World Cup of Baseball). Baseball is an international sport and should be celebrated in a much more meaningful way.

I would even favor shortening the regular season even more to play professional teams from other countries - Yanks versus Hams or Tokyo Giants would be great. Or having the Dodgers play a Dominican team on a terrible field. Think Champions League for baseball.

I realize some of these ideas may be non-starters (mostly because they won't have an immediate impact on owners' bottom line), but am convinced that baseball needs to change faster with changing times. This will be hard for a sport that relies so much on nostalgia.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
My idea would be to shorten the season and expand the playoffs. I hope MLB experiments with different concepts in the minor leagues. Why not try split seasons with champions from both seasons making the playoffs? Or having games in the first part of the season only count half as much as in the 2nd half of the season?

The one thing I would love to see in baseball is a vastly enhanced WBC (World Cup of Baseball). Baseball is an international sport and should be celebrated in a much more meaningful way.

I would even favor shortening the regular season even more to play professional teams from other countries - Yanks versus Hams or Tokyo Giants would be great. Or having the Dodgers play a Dominican team on a terrible field. Think Champions League for baseball.

I realize some of these ideas may be non-starters (mostly because they won't have an immediate impact on owners' bottom line), but am convinced that baseball needs to change faster with changing times. This will be hard for a sport that relies so much on nostalgia.
I seem to recall some leagues in the Minors doing just that.

Not sure if they do anymore?

Explain why having games in the 2nd half of the season counting more than the 1st half? I'm not following how or why that would help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT