ADVERTISEMENT

"Out" with no Mag. Same logic dictates "In" with JWill?

LeapinLou

Heisman Winner
Jul 25, 2001
Caveat: I haven't posted or read the board yet since the game. I skimmed thread titles and saw no mention of this.

If our overall resume was good last year but we were kept out of the NCAA tournament because of our record without Mag, shouldn't we be evaluated this season primarily on our record WITH JWill despite our overall metrics not being good enough?

RU is 3-0 in league with JWill. What if we end the season 8-3 with him? That's clearly a team that belongs.

The experts are saying RU would have to go 6-2 the rest of the way which would be 9-2. That seems unreachable.

Caveat: I haven't posted or read the board yet since the game. I skimmed thread titles and saw no mention of this.

If our overall resume was good last year but we were kept out of the NCAA tournament because of our record without Mag, shouldn't we be evaluated this season primarily on our record WITH JWill despite our overall metrics not being good enough?

RU is 3-0 in league with JWill. What if we end the season 8-3 with him? That's clearly a team that belongs.

The experts are saying RU would have to go 6-2 the rest of the way which would be 9-2. That seems unreachable.
All other things being equal could be used (and justifiably) as a tiebreaker. Depends how bumpy the bubble winds up being I suppose. I was just checking the NET…Princeton could be a quad one loss if the Tigers win out their regular season (they play Yale and Cornell at home).

• Haha
Reactions: DoyleRU
No. Mag was injured, Williams was suspended. Big difference.

FWIW, the committee didn’t penalize RU for Mag’s injury. What they were saying is that they would have somewhat overlooked our late season collapse IF Mag would be back for the tournament. The W-L record kept us out, not the injury.

Brad Watchel (bracketologist who seems well connected, he used to be on RUs staff) indicated yesterday that yes, the committee will evaluate the full strength RU, which is currently 3-0.

However, all the committee talk needs to wait until after Northwestern. Our last chance for a high Q win at home this season, we need to grab it if we want to even start sniffing the bubble

If this team doesn't go 6-2 then it wont matter. Getting to 19-12 puts the J Will stuff in play
OK so it does need to be 6-2. I'm not optimistic. Sucks we didn't get him back sooner.

I do think 5-3 would lock up the NIT. But say we aren't able to pull out the tough road games and we go 4-4 from here. That would be 9-11 in league. Would we still have a shot at the NIT?

Saw it imbedded in another thread. Don't recall which one but an interesting question I will personally wait until later to engage. I have ZERO faith in the committee UNLESS this is a make good selection for the make bad selection last year which some say was to offset the previous make good selection.

Reactions: LeapinLou
If this team doesn't go 6-2 then it wont matter. Getting to 19-12 puts the J Will stuff in play
So in other words hold serve at home and split the road games (would mean beating Purdue or sweeping Neb or Wisconsin and not losing to MN).

OK so it does need to be 6-2. I'm not optimistic. Sucks we didn't get him back sooner.

I do think 5-3 would lock up the NIT. But say we aren't able to pull out the tough road games and we go 4-4 from here. That would be 9-11 in league. Would we still have a shot at the NIT?

17-14 still could make the NIT but 18-13 is 95%

JWill drives and forces the help defense to make a decision and then he reacts. Shoots if they don't help and dishes if they help. He goes in thinking "shoot" but clearly doesn't make a pre-determined decision.

Tough to stop someone that plays under control, with a high bb iq and is a willing passer.

If we don't go 6-2, there needs to be some MAJOR explaining. Can't expect to beat Purdue at home, but I think we'll give them a game.

The team has everything to play for at this point and they are fully committed to defense. Wonder if Pike pointed to the way PSU played against us. PSU didn't just play tough defense, they went after the ball like it was theirs. We are now seeing next level defense.

JWill makes everyone better by assuming the #1 player role and being a #1 that makes the right decisions with the ball. We've had #1's that didn't make their teammates better.

Beating Purdue or Wisconsin is a significantly preferable than a win at Nebraska
I agree generally speaking but Nebraska has a very favorable schedule and will very likely be on the bubble at the very least. And losing at Purdue and Wisconsin won’t be “onions.” BigTen tournament is going to be wild just like Jan 6 was.

It was previously posted, and not sure if true, that the NCAA does not go by how you finish, but overall record and strength of schedule

If true, a 6-2 finish from here on out is not a factor in the sense that you finished strong, the overall performance is key, and do we then have enough to be considered

So look - if we went 5-3 with a first round out on the BIg tourney that would mean we went 8-4 with Jeremiah. 18-14 won’t do it in any circumstance so no, they definitely won’t straight up disregard the first portion of the season.

Perhaps the more interesting question would be seeding if it came down to that. Be we have a lot of work to do before entertaining these thoughts too much. Seeding discussion is different. Teams are almost always seeded based on their current rosters from what I recall. In all sports. Look at FSU in football. For this reason I see almost no chance of them sending us to Dayton. If we’re good enough to get in we’re going to get a seed based on what we’ve done with Jeremiah, Ogbole and Mag all in the roster I’d think. Def would be interesting so let’s make it happen!

Reactions: LeapinLou

Of course the reverse wouldn’t work in our favor. It’s tails I win, heads you lose.

Why even play conference tournaments if the top teams risk fatigue for NCAAs and it barely matters for bubble teams.
That’s what I always thought.
Conf Tourneys a giant scam.
And B1G IMHO shoots itself being the last conference to finish.

I actually think winning the Big Ten Tournament is more likely way to get in than going 6-2. Wacky things happen in those tournaments and it's all about who you're matched up with and how motivated the top teams are

Reactions: RuSnp and BillyC80
Why even play conference tournaments if the top teams risk fatigue for NCAAs and it barely matters for bubble teams.

I mean - it isn’t completely disregarded the way some are describing. If Penn St lost to the Illini in round 1 of the NCAAs they wouldn’t have made the tournament last year.

I think it’s more that because some teams have already punched their ticket and are in a position where one loss won’t impact their seed much they don’t value marquis wins in the tournament in the same way as if they happened during the regular season. In a league where 4-10 could potentially be within a 1 game margin in the standings, there will probably be a bit more relevance. If we win 20 games, I’d think we’d at least have a chance as long as we don’t have 15 losses.

If we don't go 6-2, there needs to be some MAJOR explaining. Can't expect to beat Purdue at home, but I think we'll give them a game.

The team has everything to play for at this point and they are fully committed to defense. Wonder if Pike pointed to the way PSU played against us. PSU didn't just play tough defense, they went after the ball like it was theirs. We are now seeing next level defense.

JWill makes everyone better by assuming the #1 player role and being a #1 that makes the right decisions with the ball. We've had #1's that didn't make their teammates better.
Needs to be some explaining if we don’t go 6-2 to close regular season? Really need to see how dumb that statement is… honestly think we go 5-3 to finish but even that will be hard… everything needs to go in our favor… we all saw how refs ( like CG ) can change the games complexion and outcome with a few key calls. Even at home we have to play better … shoot better… rebound better… play elite D and even then … we’re the new kids on the block still,

Is that the thing these days?

I was kind of hoping for 18-19 wins and then a 2-3 more conf tourney wins to seal the deal.

Reactions: RUBOB72
conference tourney performance plays almost no role anymore. The last few years is good evidence.
If a good regular season team loses early I don't see that as much of a ding.

But I'd think in comparing bubble teams, if one team goes on a conf tourney run vs a team who loses in game one, the former get's that nod.

They need to go 6-2 rest of the way for a 19-12 finish. They could feel confident that they’re in with that finish. 5-3 and it’s possible at 18-13, but they would need help from bubble teams, no bid stealers winning conference tourneys, etc.. The conference tourneys and adding on wins by a bubble team does not help, not considered by committee. Surprise bid stealers winning conference tourneys matter much more as 2 or 3 of them win that can directly mean 2 or 3 bubble teams are out of the tourney.

If a good regular season team loses early I don't see that as much of a ding.

But I'd think in comparing bubble teams, if one team goes on a conf tourney run vs a team who loses in game one, the former get's that nod.

Texas A&M and Vanderbilt did that recently and didnt move any needles

The field is basically set. Last year was very telling and how the seeds were set. I am not so sure a Rutgers win over Purdue would have made a difference

Brad Watchel (bracketologist who seems well connected, he used to be on RUs staff) indicated yesterday that yes, the committee will evaluate the full strength RU, which is currently 3-0.

However, all the committee talk needs to wait until after Northwestern. Our last chance for a high Q win at home this season, we need to grab it if we want to even start sniffing the bubble

Texas A&M and Vanderbilt did that recently and didnt move any needles

The field is basically set. Last year was very telling and how the seeds were set. I am not so sure a Rutgers win over Purdue would have made a difference
I mean - PSU couldn’t have been slotted as a 10 seed and us out with a first round loss to the Illini. That means it at least mattered in the context of comparing two teams with the same record in the same conference. Could be looking at a lot of bubble tie ups in the BIG this year.

I think the only thing that’s clear to the point you made is that the NCAA doesn’t view the conference tournaments as a place where signature wins could be picked up. They don’t view wins over the top teams there the same way for resume building purposes. A&M and Vandy’s resumes were all about those conf tourney runs.

In general I don't think conference tournaments matter much, but last season we were hoping 1 win against Michigan mattered

If Rutgers makes semifinals or finals, combined with the JWill factor.... it might help more than another team

Reactions: BillyC80
The conference tourney mattered in the sense that Seton Hall lost to DePaul and then made our loss to them a quad 3. I kid, but I think most wonder what it all actually means. I think it’s really tough to put much stock in games where teams are playing 2 to 4 days in a row

• Haha
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
BAc...in the X amount of years you have been following closely has the committee ever changed a part of their criteria and you realize it after the fact, sometimes a few years later.

Did they tell us before hand last 10 didn't matter or announce it after the selection?
Has results from conference play always been nuetered like this? Sorry SweatPea

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT