ADVERTISEMENT

"Out" with no Mag. Same logic dictates "In" with JWill?

RU gets more open looks than anyone in the country? Find 1 person on this board that doesn't find that to be an insane statement
I mean he said "almost anyone in the conference" not "anyone in the country" but it's still a completely unsupported statement.

we get more open looks than anyone in the country but except for the last 3 games have missed them at an alarmingly high rate or you disagree we get the most open looks. ? We miss more uncontested layups than any team in the country? You are going to disagree with that statement ?
Yes? Yes, I am going to go out on a limb and say I'm virtually 100% certain that statement is not correct.
Are you quibbling with the inbounds design ? That it is set up for Gavin ? Or that he has airballed them a lot except for Purdue game ? Or just that that open shot in rhythm should not hit 60% of the time with no one in the players’face ?
That we shouldn't design plays to get long twos.

Yes? Yes, I am going to go out on a limb and say I'm virtually 100% certain that statement is not correct.

That we shouldn't design plays to get long twos.
It is an inbounds play and most successful ones result in a layup or a curl short jumper. It is not a long 2 , it is a 13-15 foot jumper in rhythm.

Not sure what team you watched this year but the lament was that we were wide open and just cannot shoot and hit shots. I watch a ton of college basketball from around the country not just the BIG 10 and we get open looks almost always but until recently , have not been making them. They probably is a stat out there about 2 point shots at the rim , 3 point shots , etc. If I remember correctly the lament was that we were like 325 -350 out of 357 teams in 2 and 3 point shooting. Why are having a hard time believing that when you say you have watched our games and now the stats say we are in the 300’s in both 2 and 3 point shooting ?
If you also watch the games like you say you do , you hopefully agree we do not miss because of the defense since a high majority of the shots are uncontested. We just have been a terrible bad shooting team until the last 3 games where 4 of the last 5 halves have not exhibited that terrible shooting.

Why are having a hard time believing that when you say you have watched our games and now the stats say we are in the 300’s in both 2 and 3 point shooting ?
I do believe that we are bad at shooting. Why do you think I do not believe this?
If you also watch the games like you say you do , you hopefully agree we do not miss because of the defense since a high majority of the shots are uncontested. We just have been a terrible bad shooting team until the last 3 games where 4 of the last 5 halves have not exhibited that terrible shooting.
Right I kind of agree with this. I don't actually think our shot selection is terrible. I don't think shot selection is the main reason behind our poor shooting percentages. But you are making a strong statement that our shot quality is AMONG THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY.

We are ranked #146 in offense shot quality per shotquality.com. That is.. average.

I do believe that we are bad at shooting. Why do you think I do not believe this?

Right I kind of agree with this. I don't actually think our shot selection is terrible. I don't think shot selection is the main reason behind our poor shooting percentages. But you are making a strong statement that our shot quality is AMONG THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY.

We are ranked #146 in offense shot quality per shotquality.com. That is.. average.
Well okay progress. You agree we are bad at shooting both 2’s , 3’s and foul shots until the last 3 games . Did you see our guys force up a lot of bad shots or just that plainly missed open shot after open shot. My eyes tell me it was missing open shot after open shot. You will not find a lot of high level teams from all the major conferences or even the good mid major conferences , Miss open looks like we have. Everywhere from 2 at the rim , mid range or 8-13 footers , layups . It just have not seen in turning on all these other games. The % ‘s bare it out.

I am not saying out shot selection is very good because we are out of control except for recently with our guards on the open court. Their shot selection is horrible. But when they have an open good shot whether a layup or 10 footer they have been missing at a high rate. I do believe our shot selection in the last 4 of 5 halves with Jwilliams back has improved shot selection . I thought we only had 4-5 bad shots in the entire Wisconsin game. Improvement has been rapid.

I am not saying out shot selection is very good
Well, okay, but can you see why I thought that was what you were saying given:
We have more open looks than almost any team in our conference.

we get more open looks than anyone in the country
As far as I can tell you are saying that we are generating, well, better looks than almost any other team. That's a far cry from "shot selection isn't terrible". Those statements are what I am arguing with. If you don't believe them then I guess we have no argument.

Also, to be 100% fair, I did misread this:
We miss more uncontested layups than any team in the country?
as "We get more uncontensted layups than any team in the country" so that one is on me.

Reactions: goru7
Caveat: I haven't posted or read the board yet since the game. I skimmed thread titles and saw no mention of this.

If our overall resume was good last year but we were kept out of the NCAA tournament because of our record without Mag, shouldn't we be evaluated this season primarily on our record WITH JWill despite our overall metrics not being good enough?

RU is 3-0 in league with JWill. What if we end the season 8-3 with him? That's clearly a team that belongs.

The experts are saying RU would have to go 6-2 the rest of the way which would be 9-2. That seems unreachable.
Just win the next game and then win the next game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT