ADVERTISEMENT

PAT DOWNEY

Nut case who Coach G wouldn't consider even if Downey was on hands and knees outside the RAC.

from his twitter and votes where should i go to college my final 3
which @ncaawrestling team should i compete 4 next yr? heres my interests. assuming the coaches want me 2 b their @NCAA champ! #Ask @twitter

18%Iowa State
38%Iowa
44%Rutgers

No, I have less than zero inside knowledge. I just don't understand why we would do this with Mulligan and Correnti there. I don't think Coach is that desperate for an All-American quality kid with this type of background. But whatever happens happens.

i know nothing just his twitter feed guess its up the goody i would take him after a meeting trust goody

What has this guy done that's been so bad??
If he wants to come to Rutgers and we have the money for him... let's roll the dice... w.e past he has had, facts are, he gets the job done on the mat...

What has this guy done that's been so bad??
If he wants to come to Rutgers and we have the money for him... let's roll the dice... w.e past he has had, facts are, he gets the job done on the mat...

exactly.
Its pretty simple really - fall in line with the program or be sent packin.

Yea he is a guy you want around the young recruits on this team. The guy is a loser. I will save you the trouble of Googling his name. He was kicked off the team at Nebraska and Iowa State, cmon really you want this "adult" around the team?

The below is copy and pasted from a thread on the mat.com forums.

OK. This is the info from Google search. 1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw. He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court). 2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?). One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw. The Navy kids names are mentioned in article. 3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!! I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

He was going to go to a junior college in Oregon, then went to U of Nebraska - dismissed, then went to the Iowa junior college - Champion, then went to Iowa State (1 year AA, then dismissed), now my guess is NO Team wants this guy.

He reportedly was suspended and eventually kicked off the team at Iowa State for failing multiple drug tests in addition to not showing up to practice for long periods. And after he got kicked off he posted video of a girl giving him a blowjob and refused to take it down even after she contacted the cops about it. So yeah, he's got sex and drug abuse issues.

I would bet he comes for no money. He just wants a shot at the title. IMO he beats anyone at 197. At 184 he not beating Nickal

Yea he is a guy you want around the young recruits on this team. The guy is a loser. I will save you the trouble of Googling his name. He was kicked off the team at Nebraska and Iowa State, cmon really you want this "adult" around the team?

The below is copy and pasted from a thread on the mat.com forums.

OK. This is the info from Google search. 1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw. He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court). 2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?). One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw. The Navy kids names are mentioned in article. 3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!! I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

He was going to go to a junior college in Oregon, then went to U of Nebraska - dismissed, then went to the Iowa junior college - Champion, then went to Iowa State (1 year AA, then dismissed), now my guess is NO Team wants this guy.

He reportedly was suspended and eventually kicked off the team at Iowa State for failing multiple drug tests in addition to not showing up to practice for long periods. And after he got kicked off he posted video of a girl giving him a blowjob and refused to take it down even after she contacted the cops about it. So yeah, he's got sex and drug abuse issues.

Thanks for posting. For those that follow college wrestling even a little, Downey being criminal and a creep, is no secret. Coach G has built a heck of a program, with the right kind of kids, who work hard and keep their noses clean.
We don't have to worry about him adding a criminal element to the locker and practice room. A life long drug user.
And Hobbs would probably have a say as well.
Our football team is still trying to recover from bad apples in the locker room for 2 years now.

This would be like fixing your sister up with a known rapist serial killer, because he would be good helping you fix your car.

I try to stay away from the personal attacks on these kids. Goodale is going to do what's right for his program one way or another. Obviously the kid has baggage but this world is full of 2nd and third and 4th chances when you have talent.

I try to stay away from the personal attacks on these kids. Goodale is going to do what's right for his program one way or another. Obviously the kid has baggage but this world is full of 2nd and third and 4th chances when you have talent.

Maybe at Florida St. Not at Rutgers. You have a better chance of dating Megan Fox, than this POS has of wrestling at RU.

He is not a kid, he will be 25 in August

I would bet he comes for no money. He just wants a shot at the title. IMO he beats anyone at 197. At 184 he not beating Nickal

If this is true and he commands little to no money then maybe we should risk a shot with him. Can't we just kick him off the team if he's making trouble? Everyone deserves another chance and his upside is undeniable

If this is true and he commands little to no money then maybe we should risk a shot with him. Can't we just kick him off the team if he's making trouble? Everyone deserves another chance and his upside is undeniable

I'd be shocked if this WASNT the case. He would have already graduated so basically the parents would have to pick up the bill for 1 yr of grad courses. If I was a college coach, I wouldn't offer a dime. He wants a shot at the title. I would interview him. Determine if the kids mind is right, and will present a positive image for the program and the school, set some ground rules and then determine if it's worth the risk

Reactions: KidDagger
He may not cost $$$ but he may cost some donor $$$ if we head down this type of path. Then again, maybe he can go straight to our Dental School. He seems to have an interest in other peoples ' teeth. Pass. $$$$

The first thing I thought of is...If Mulligan gets screwed because of Mr. Downey's presence on the team then that will be the last time RU ever gets a Bergen Catholic wrestler again.

The first thing I thought of is...If Mulligan gets screwed because of Mr. Downey's presence on the team then that will be the last time RU ever gets a Bergen Catholic wrestler again.

How would he get "screwed?" Best wrestlers wrestle..if Mulligan can beat him in wrestle off, he would earn the spot, otherwise he still has 3 more years eligibility. Is it set in stone somewhere that a Bergen Catholic wrestler has to start all 4 yrs? If Mulligan loses to Correnti in a wrestle off, do you think that's getting "screwed?"

Reactions: ruready07
are you serious? BC doesn't have that kind of juice, kids will go where they can get the $$. I guess a big time BC wrestler will turn down a RU offer because a BC kid lost a spot he never had? cant make this up...

Reactions: ruready07
Mulligan was better than Correnti last year. We got him to redshirt. Now we are essentially making him lose a second year if we did this. Sure, the best guys will win, and if this was Kyle Snyder transferring in I'd feel much different because Snyder is a good guy. I also didn't mind giving our HWT another chance because wrong place wrong time. Downey is a much different case.

Reactions: plcoolg

I know a few guys already jumped on this... but I seriously hope we don't become worried about competition like this. Our whole room should crave bringing in the best guys we can find.

The Big Ten's RUTGERS UNIVERSITY > any high school

Yes, lets bring in a criminal , a cancer who will inevitably deal drugs to the other wrestlers. Who could show up on the NB police blotter only 2 years after 6 football players got arrested for assault bringing shame to our University. Watch him make sex tapes and put them up on his Facebook. I'm sure the Star Ledger will salivate for that material. Good idea . Great wrestler, miserable human being. Ex Con. I doubt Coach G is as stupid as the some of the posters here.

I know its the offseason, but there is really no reason to discuss this. There is no chance of us bringing this kid in. I say that without inside information, but knowing the way the staff views these things. You take a huge risk any time you bring in kids like this. Things like conduct and work ethic rub off on the other teammates. If you know anything about how goodale views the first half of his tenure here, and how he views the current makeup of the team, you know we aren't going in this direction.

Our program is safe, loaded with talent, and going nowhere but up. We don't need a hired gun.

I doubt Coach G is as stupid as the some of the posters here.

No reason to get personal. It's a discussion of a current events topic.

You and some posters believe in no way should the kid wrestle for RU because of his past and even present actions.

Others like myself say if the coach thinks he can handle the kid and get him on the right track they could have an NCAA champion which would help the program get to the next level

No one's been "stupid" so far in this thread. Let's not drag it down

While I believe in second chances, seems like this kid has had several already. Camp was a risk Goodale thought was worth taking and I don't think there was much negative press around that. Not sure that this situation would be the same and success would certainly heighten the interest and scrutiny. If we have guy we think can compete effectively at the weight class then even more of a reason to pass here.

Reactions: dicemen99
I know its the offseason, but there is really no reason to discuss this. There is no chance of us bringing this kid in. I say that without inside information, but knowing the way the staff views these things. You take a huge risk any time you bring in kids like this. Things like conduct and work ethic rub off on the other teammates. If you know anything about how goodale views the first half of his tenure here, and how he views the current makeup of the team, you know we aren't going in this direction.

Our program is safe, loaded with talent, and going nowhere but up. We don't need a hired gun.
Well, you may want to checkout his Twitter feed....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT