ADVERTISEMENT

Pernetti named as next commish of AAC

It amazes me that rutgers fans can’t look at his AD tenure objectively.
Objective view-
Hired Mike Rice...Ends up a failure but he also was the one who reported his actions and was railroaded
Hired Flood on Schiano's recommendation when Greg left right before signing period. Also, was given no money to hire a HC and staff with any experience.
The HC he hired for under $1 mil has the best winning % in team history

Worked relentlessly to get Rutgers into B1G using his network connections to help seal the deal...

So- Those are just simple facts regardless of what you think of him.

Objective view-
Hired Mike Rice...Ends up a failure but he also was the one who reported his actions and was railroaded
Hired Flood on Schiano's recommendation when Greg left right before signing period. Also, was given no money to hire a HC and staff with any experience.

Worked relentlessly to get Rutgers into B1G using his network connections to help seal the deal...

You, added your own little comments in there and opinions .

Here are the facts. I think it’s better if we just stick to facts. I think you will agree with this :

Hired rice
Hired flood - flood has the best winning % in rutgers History.
Flood was fired after 4 seasons
Hill jr . - pernetti kept him after going 47-77 and 13-57 in conference . Hill was eventually terminated due to the Pitt baseball incident.

BIG - pernetti was AD when Rutgers got invited to the BIG in 2012. Pernetti and rutgers accepted the invite .
Pernetti resigned as Rutgers AD in April 2013

Rutgers joins the BIG July 1, 2014.
Kyle flood - the pernetti hire - leads Rutgers to a 12-13 record over the first two seasons in the BIG , including a quick lane bowl win.
Rutgers had a conference record of 4-12 in those two seasons. Flood lost nine conference games by 17 points or more. (Norries Wilson coached the team for 3 games , including the blowout loss at Penn state in 2015 as flood was suspended ).

You, added your own little comments in there and opinions .

Here are the facts. I think it’s better if we just stick to facts. I think you will agree with this :

Hired rice
Hired flood - flood has the best winning % in rutgers History.
Flood was fired after 4 seasons
Hill jr . - pernetti kept him after going 47-77 and 13-57 in conference . Hill was eventually terminated due to the Pitt baseball incident.

BIG - pernetti was AD when Rutgers got invited to the BIG in 2012. Pernetti and rutgers accepted the invite .
Pernetti resigned as Rutgers AD in April 2013

Rutgers joins the BIG July 1, 2014.
Kyle flood - the pernetti hire - leads Rutgers to a 12-13 record over the first two seasons in the BIG , including a quick lane bowl win.
Rutgers had a conference record of 4-12 in those two seasons. Flood lost nine conference games by 17 points or more. (Norries Wilson coached the team for 3 games , including the blowout loss at Penn state in 2015 as flood was suspended ).
you are correct, yes view of Tim and BIG is wrong
Tim sucked but benefited from being in the chair at the right time

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisHills
Objective view-

Flood was hired because Mario Cristobal had turned Rutgers down after seemingly accepting the position and then coming back to ask for more..
Tim themself on the football staff in order to save keep a great recruiting year intact after Schiano left to the pro game
Fred Hill wasn't let go before the Pittsburgh incident because Tim couldn't fire him for cause before then and paying freddie off in full was more than RU could afford at the time
Tim did hire Rice, MR was a ( price is right) gamble that didn't work out .
Tim checked with Rutgers' layer ad was told he'd probably lose if he fired Rice for cause to keep from paying the buyout and Rice sued to receive for the full amount owed
Tim offered the RU President ,at the time, the video Murdock was using against Rutgers but Barchi declined only to come back and force Tim's resignation .
Like Freddie the Rutgers lawyer advised Tim firing Rice for cause would be hard to do, but that didn't mean a thing to Barchi because he needed scapegoat so the finger woukdn't be pointed towards his declining to look at the video when Tim told him it was available to see.

Flood had a winnoing record but recruiting was going down, team discipline was a mess and the general perception fans had was Kyle wasn't fit to coach the team.
That was when he first was hired to when he got the boot.
Flood has his defenders, a winning RU career recxord would do that, but the team was an absolute mess his last season and he needed to go.
What makes his going look bad is the replacement for him made Flood look like a Vince Lombardi

Tim was in constant contact with Jim Delany and that was a big reason Rutgers stayed in the running for the invite they received
People can knock Tim all they want , I for one feel he was great for Rutgers and will prove to be a good AAC Commish.
He plays the end game with the best of them.
At Rutgers he didn't have the type of backing that he needed to play that type of game
when things got tight

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Can someone expand on what allege personal influence AD Perneti had on the Big Ten invite?

Specifically, what made him different from any other AD who would have been in place at the time?
The inference seems to be we wouldn’t have gotten invited without him.

Who does get invited then? UConn?
How much more money did AD TP add to the Rutgers business case?
They vaulted us over all other available teams.

Big Ten expansion was a business decision.
UM and OSU don’t vote to add ANYONE unless they are fairly certain the per team distribution will increase upon adding another team.

So how did AD TP personally effect that increase in the potential per team distribution?

And “personal friend of Delaney and talked to him while on the treadmill” isn’t an answer.

Every school in the country was likely evaluated based on how much projected increase in media revenue they would add and how feasible they were as an option (Alabama wasn’t feasible).

It’s doubtful the Big Ten and FOX just forgot to consider Rutgers.

I’m
Flood was hired because Mario Cristobal had turned Rutgers down after seemingly accepting the position and then coming back to ask for more..
Tim themself on the football staff in order to save keep a great recruiting year intact after Schiano left to the pro game
Fred Hill wasn't let go before the Pittsburgh incident because Tim couldn't fire him for cause before then and paying freddie off in full was more than RU could afford at the time
Tim did hire Rice, MR was a ( price is right) gamble that didn't work out .
Tim checked with Rutgers' layer ad was told he'd probably lose if he fired Rice for cause to keep from paying the buyout and Rice sued to receive for the full amount owed
Tim offered the RU President ,at the time, the video Murdock was using against Rutgers but Barchi declined only to come back and force Tim's resignation .
Like Freddie the Rutgers lawyer advised Tim firing Rice for cause would be hard to do, but that didn't mean a thing to Barchi because he needed scapegoat so the finger woukdn't be pointed towards his declining to look at the video when Tim told him it was available to see.

Flood had a winnoing record but recruiting was going down, team discipline was a mess and the general perception fans had was Kyle wasn't fit to coach the team.
That was when he first was hired to when he got the boot.
Flood has his defenders, a winning RU career recxord would do that, but the team was an absolute mess his last season and he needed to go.
What makes his going look bad is the replacement for him made Flood look like a Vince Lombardi

Tim was in constant contact with Jim Delany and that was a big reason Rutgers stayed in the running for the invite they received
People can knock Tim all they want , I for one feel he was great for Rutgers and will prove to be a good AAC Commish.
He plays the end game with the best of them.
At Rutgers he didn't have the type of backing that he needed to play that type of game
when things got tight
you need to scroll up and read my recap . It is accurate and factual.

Can someone expand on what allege personal influence AD Perneti had on the Big Ten invite?

Specifically, what made him different from any other AD who would have been in place at the time?
The inference seems to be we wouldn’t have gotten invited without him.

Who does get invited then? UConn?
How much more money did AD TP add to the Rutgers business case?
They vaulted us over all other available teams.

Big Ten expansion was a business decision.
UM and OSU don’t vote to add ANYONE unless they are fairly certain the per team distribution will increase upon adding another team.

So how did AD TP personally effect that increase in the potential per team distribution?
Greg and Bob put us in position for the B1G- Tim, was a huge influence as he was the one that sold our viewership and the TV's that would be coming with us- his TV background played a huge part in it. He knew how to sell it

Greg and Bob put us in position for the B1G- Tim, was a huge influence as he was the one that sold our viewership and the TV's that would be coming with us- his TV background played a huge part in it. He knew how to sell it
You may be right . You probably are right . But if we are talking facts , you gotta prove this and show some documentation . It can’t just be some hearsay .
What is it ? Perentti told Delany how many cable boxes are in the rutgers market ?

Yes I've read that article before.

The two main points (to me):

1. Delany and Pernetti would not comment specifically on the Big Ten’s process before it added Nebraska — both men said the details were still protected by a nondisclosure agreement — but multiple sources confirmed that Rutgers was one of about a half-dozen schools under consideration.
  2. But, above all else, Rutgers was on the Big Ten’s short list of expansion candidates for one reason. It was the market.

So Rutgers was already close/within consideration for the Nebraska spot.
It was our location as the main driver.

Perhaps AD TP illustrated the media value of Rutgers better than others would have.
Although, one would have to assume Fox/Media Partners were doing their own due diligence on options and expected additional value of different schools.
Big Ten didn't just randomly proceed with Rutgers without direction from their media partners.

But AD TP wasn't increasing the value or materially changing the Rutgers value to the Big Ten.

If the numbers weren't there, it didn't matter how many treadmill phone calls TP and Delaney shared.

Oh you were behind the scenes ? Please share
What I said was reported at the times of incidents I mentioned and known facts.Just because you think it might be fun to imply those things didn't happen , I'm not going to take the time and trouble to go over again what were well known facts talked about on this board years ago..

Reactions: yesrutgers01
What I said was reported at the times of incidents I mentioned and known facts.Just because you think it might be fun to imply those things didn't happen , I'm not going to take the time and trouble to go over again what were well known facts talked about on this board years ago..
Whatever . No one on the BiG side said it was Tim they got them in. It’s all pernetti quotes
Rutgers was on delany’s radar for a long time The Tim lovers here can’t prove anything and don’t want to look at facts

• Love
Whatever . No one on the BiG side said it was Tim they got them in. It’s all pernetti quotes
Rutgers was on delany’s radar for a long time The Tim lovers here can’t prove anything and don’t want to look at facts
LOL, sounds like you are into conspiracy theories and refuse to look at the true facts

>Prior to becoming Rutgers’ athletic director in 2009, Tim Pernetti reached out to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany to ask a very bold question:
If the Big Ten expanded, would Rutgers, then a member of the Big East, get a real look?
Pernetti, a former media executive before going to work for his alma mater, knew that Rutgers held one significant advantage over every other expansion candidate — access to the New York TV market.

Delany’s response was firm and to the point. He told Pernetti that Rutgers had a single-digit percent chance of being invited to the Big Ten.
“Well, that’s good enough for me,” Pernetti replied.

Over time, Pernetti’s calls to Delany became more frequent. He’d call Delany early in the morning when the commissioner was usually on the treadmill, and talked about how Rutgers’ TV market would boost the Big Ten Network’s audience.

“Jim’s ability to see the vision, even if it’s through someone else’s eyes, really makes him unique,” said Pernetti, who was Rutgers’ AD from 2009 to 2013 and is now executive VP at Endeavor.

Rutgers accepted an invitation to join the Big Ten in 2012 and began league play in 2014. Most agree that it was a reach — the Scarlet Knights have struggled competitively. But Delany remains bullish on them long term.

“When Jim speaks about media, everybody listens,” Pernetti said. “He had credibility and political capital that cascaded across everything he did.”<
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2020/02/17/Champions/Rutgers-side.aspx

Reactions: Knight Shift
LOL, sounds like you are into conspiracy theories and refuse to look at the true facts

>Prior to becoming Rutgers’ athletic director in 2009, Tim Pernetti reached out to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany to ask a very bold question:
If the Big Ten expanded, would Rutgers, then a member of the Big East, get a real look?
Pernetti, a former media executive before going to work for his alma mater, knew that Rutgers held one significant advantage over every other expansion candidate — access to the New York TV market.

Delany’s response was firm and to the point. He told Pernetti that Rutgers had a single-digit percent chance of being invited to the Big Ten.

Over time, Pernetti’s calls to Delany became more frequent. He’d call Delany early in the morning when the commissioner was usually on the treadmill, and talked about how Rutgers’ TV market would boost the Big Ten Network’s audience.

“Jim’s ability to see the vision, even if it’s through someone else’s eyes, really makes him unique,” said Pernetti, who was Rutgers’ AD from 2009 to 2013 and is now executive VP at Endeavor.

Rutgers accepted an invitation to join the Big Ten in 2012 and began league play in 2014. Most agree that it was a reach — the Scarlet Knights have struggled competitively. But Delany remains bullish on them long term.

“When Jim speaks about media, everybody listens,” Pernetti said. “He had credibility and political capital that cascaded across everything he did.”<
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2020/02/17/Champions/Rutgers-side.aspx
It’s all pernetti quotes saying how he convinced Delany lol
You got to do better mad hat !
I can give you a bunch of quotes how great plum street is !

We have people that like to pick nits, instead of giving a loyal son a little credit and some kudos. It's weird.

It’s all pernetti quotes saying how he convinced Delany lol
You got to do better mad hat !
I can give you a bunch of quotes how great plum street is !
expected some BS like this from you when I posted the article.
That's why I said in a earlier reply to you :
"What I said was reported at the times of incidents I mentioned and known facts.Ju reply:
"st because you think it might be fun to imply those things didn't happen , I'm not going to take the time and trouble to go over again what were well known facts talked about on this board years ago.."
predicting to myself you don't want to hear the facts, you only hear what you want to hear and facts be dammed when the facts don't fit your trolling agenda.
If I posted articles about any of the other issues I mentioned that you wanted me to share how I knew about them, you would deny their accuracy as well.

I enjoy some of the nonsense you post on this board and laugh when I see you try to squirm out of admitting you were mistaken .( Frankly I feel many times you know what you're posting isn't true, but you just want to rile up the inmates by posting it)
Right or wrong you get the attention you seek, so you are a success in the attention category. When it comes to knowing the facts, needs improvement 😉

expected some BS like this from you when I posted the article.
That's why I said in a earlier reply to you :
"What I said was reported at the times of incidents I mentioned and known facts.Ju reply:
"st because you think it might be fun to imply those things didn't happen , I'm not going to take the time and trouble to go over again what were well known facts talked about on this board years ago.."
predicting to myself you don't want to hear the facts, you only hear what you want to hear and facts be dammed when the facts don't fit your trolling agenda.
If I posted articles about any of the other issues I mentioned that you wanted me to share how I knew about them, you would deny their accuracy as well.

I enjoy the nonsense posted on this board and take pleasure in seeing you squirm out of admitting you were mistaken when the replies you get bear the type of facts that prove you're wrong.
Right or wrong you get the attention you seek, so you are a success in the attention category. When it comes to knowing the facts, needs improvement 😉
I want to hear the facts and want to see it proven that Tim was more then a mediocre AD I amopen to this .
Al I see and heard is hearsay. Looking at the facts he was mediocre.

I want to hear the facts and want to see it proven that Tim was more then a mediocre AD I amopen to this .
Al I see and heard is hearsay. Looking at the facts he was mediocre.
of course you do ( if it agrees with what you claim) even when proven wrong you will claim to be right

Last edited:
The biggest thing Pernetti did was hire himself as a football coach, which allowed him to hold the recruiting class together, which is what let Flood have success his first year as a coach. This allowed the school to present itself as having a football program that wasn't going to completely fall apart just because one man (Schiano) left. Flood was always supposed to be a stop-gap bandaid, but (as was true with replacing Rice), Barchi wouldn't provide real money for a real hire.

The biggest thing Pernetti did was hire himself as a football coach, which allowed him to hold the recruiting class together, which is what let Flood have success his first year as a coach. This allowed the school to present itself as having a football program that wasn't going to completely fall apart just because one man (Schiano) left. Flood was always supposed to be a stop-gap bandaid, but (as was true with replacing Rice), Barchi wouldn't provide real money for a real hire.
That was a good job by Tim holding that class together

Agreed. Genius move.
Was there any precedent for this?
Seemed to come out of nowhere.

IIRC, didn't Tim make himself a coach to handle recruiting too?
yes , many feel that helped save the recruiting year instead of losing the top recruits because Tim's involvement convinced them to honor their verbals to Schiano even though Kyle would be their HC

yes , many feel that helped save the recruiting year instead of losing the top recruits because Tim's involvement convinced them to honor their verbals to Schiano even though Kyle would be their HC
Tim deserves a lot more praise and a lot less crap than he gets on this board. The man bleeds scarlet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT