ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Best Springsteen Studio album

RUaMoose

Heisman Winner
Oct 31, 2004
Lebanon, TN
Couldn't list them all since there are only 10 boxes so Tunnel of Love, Lucky Town , Wrecking Ball and a couple others didn't make the cut. Couldn't decide whether to drop the Wild and Innocent in favor of the Ghost of Tom Joad but figured there's more fans of the former. For me, Darkness gets the nod over BUSA, the River, and BTR

Darkness is my fav! However the river and BTR are both a tied for a very close second place

Reactions: Peteyd
Originally posted by CERU00:
Originally posted by RU4Real:
Somebody said Born in the USA. Eww.
Stop that.... I'm on Fire may be my favorite Springsteen song.
My Home town (about Freehold) I think is also on that album. It was.cool to live in Freehold when Bruce took off in the 70's.

I voted for "Born To Run", but I can't believe "The Rising" hasn't been voted for. I think a close second to Born To Run.. Some great tunes on that album, " The Rising, My City of Ruins, Lonesome Day, Empty Sky, Nothing Man". A really good album imo.

Tunnel of Love was my favorite album but the only E-Streeter on it was Patti. Trapped (not on Tunnel) is my favorite song but Bruce didn't write it....Jimmy Cliff did.

Wild Innocent, E street... how can you get better than that album? Side two is the best side of any Bruce Album hands down. in my opinion. My all time favorite Bruce song...... Incident on 57th street to kick it off... followed by Rosalita! that is all you need to know end of story.

The Rising is my favorite album. He finally found true inspiration to write, not about some random cause like Mexican drug mules on Tom Joad or whoever the hell Outlaw Pete is.

I'm not a big Sprinsgteen fan but I do think Tunnel of Love was a great album and very underrated by the Springsteen faithful. Springsteen's lyrics in Tunnel of Love and Brilliant Disguise are masterful......

Darkness for me. It Hit me like a ton of bricks the fist time I listened the whole record. Love them all really.

No Tunnel of Love, no vote.

I'd group Darkness/BTR/WIESS/The River/Tunnel together as "best" to me. Different aspects of each album appeal to me at different times. Can't peg one as the "best".

Finding it hard to believe some say tunnel of love. First of all, it's not a particularly good album let alone his best. Second, along with Lucky Town and Human Touch, it doesn't include the ESB. It's one of the few albums of his I never play and an easy one to dismiss from the cut. To each his own I guess. Some of you probably think Outlaw Pete is a good song...lol

1 Born to Run, the best album in the history of Rock N Roll. Thunder Road ,10th,Night, Back Streets, B T R, She's the One and Jungle Land on one album, are you kidding me?
2 Darkness (great album but not in the same category as BTR)
3 Greetings (Lost in the Flood is a masterpiece and For You touches a vein in all of us if you really listen to the lyrics)
4 Wild and Innocent ("Incident" and 4th of July, just wow!)
5 Magic surprising good album start to finish
6 Human Touch, The Rising, The River, All very good albums

inOriginally posted by Ru2bnj:

I voted for "Born To Run", but I can't believe "The Rising" hasn't been voted for. I think a close second to Born To Run.. Some great tunes on that album, " The Rising, My City of Ruins, Lonesome Day, Empty Sky, Nothing Man". A really good album imo.
His best album since BUSA, imo. "Lonsome Day", "Into the Fire", Empty Sky, "Worlds Apart", Mary's Place, "Further on up the road" all very good songs. It would be 4th or 5th overall on my list but hard to pick it over his earlier albums.

Originally posted by RUaMoose:
Finding it hard to believe some say tunnel of love. First of all, it's not a particularly good album let alone his best. Second, along with Lucky Town and Human Touch, it doesn't include the ESB. It's one of the few albums of his I never play and an easy one to dismiss from the cut. To each his own I guess. Some of you probably think Outlaw Pete is a good song...lol
But it's a poll about "Bruce Springsteen" albums and you included Nebraska, which has no band.
rolleyes.r191677.gif
People view art and music in different ways. One person's trash is another's treasure. There is no "right" answer to your poll.

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
But it's a poll about "Bruce Springsteen" albums and you included Nebraska, which has no band.
happy.r191677.gif
. .. I'm not a fan of Neb either but I've heard some BS fans comment on its greatness so I included it. Can't say the same about TL. I agree ppl have diverse views when it comes to music but TL seemed like an obvious one to leave off the list given no ESB and its lack of "memorable" songs. I can't think of one song from that album that are staples on tour. By comparison, Darkness has at least three (badlands, prove it all night, promised land)

Originally posted by RUnion:
Wild Innocent, E street... how can you get better than that album? Side two is the best side of any Bruce Album hands down. in my opinion. My all time favorite Bruce song...... Incident on 57th street to kick it off... followed by Rosalita! that is all you need to know end of story.
I concur. I recall dancing to Rosalita in the old AEP house on Union Street.. we all started jumping at the end and the floor began to bounce so hard the brothers in the basement flew up the stairs to get us to stop before it caved in. Great times, great album.

happy.r191677.gif
. .. I'm not a fan of Neb either but I've heard some BS fans comment on its greatness so I included it. Can't say the same about TL. I agree ppl have diverse views when it comes to music but TL seemed like an obvious one to leave off the list given no ESB and its lack of "memorable" songs. I can't think of one song from that album that are staples on tour. By comparison, Darkness has at least three (badlands, prove it all night, promised land)
And "Waiting on a Sunny Day" has been a staple since the rising--there's a classic!

Tunnel of Love is very underrated, and in many people's opinions, it is his most personal, as it was written during his first. marriage ending. In my opinion, most rock music comes from a place of desperation, which is why Born to Run, Darkness, Tunnel of Love and The Rising are among his best.

You can't just dismiss an album as not particularly good just because YOU don't like it.

Music is art, and like a yard sale item, what's one man's trash is another man's treasure.

It's all in good fun to rate albums, but there are no right or wrong answers.

I'm a huge U2 fan, and while some U2 fans think POP is their worst effort, I think it's a fantastic album.

My opinion is just as valid as theirs.

My three favorite albums happen to be the ones minus the ESB: Nebraska, Ghost of Tom Joad and Tunnel of Love. I also really like Greetings from AP. As noted earlier, simply a matter of personal taste.

Another vote for Greetings. His first and arguably his best. Spirit in the Night, Growin' Up, For You, It's Hard to be a Saint in the City.

Originally posted by BigEastPhil:
I'm not a big Sprinsgteen fan but I do think Tunnel of Love was a great album and very underrated by the Springsteen faithful. Springsteen's lyrics in Tunnel of Love and Brilliant Disguise are masterful......
++++Bruce loved Roy Orbison (Thunder Road) and I could imagine Roy singing Brilliant Disguise. It's a sweet melody and has the string section vibe of the Roy's era.

One guy thinks Neb is his best
happy.r191677.gif
One Step Up is on my Top 10 list, maybe Top 5. Many times in my life the words to this song have crept into my head.

The lack of songs being staples on tour should not preclude the album from consideration. Some of his best stuff does not translate well in a stadium or an arena. At this point I would be very happy to leave BtR, Born in the USA, and Badlands left off the set list, especially if you are going to shows on back-to-back nights.

FWIW I voted for Darkness with The Rising second.

happy.r191677.gif
. .. I'm not a fan of Neb either but I've heard some BS fans comment on its greatness so I included it.[/B] Can't say the same about TL. I agree ppl have diverse views when it comes to music but TL seemed like an obvious one to leave off the list given no ESB and its lack of "memorable" songs. I can't think of one song from that album that are staples on tour. By comparison, Darkness has at least three (badlands, prove it all night, promised land)
Nebraska has 2 of my favorite songs off of it (Mr State Trooper and Atlantic City), both were haunting on Bruce's solo acoustic tour live as well, plus Johnny 99 is AMAZING in concert with the ESB. (Reason to Believe gets Honorable Mention).

Always thought Bruce missed out on a huge "country" music audience...as you can take 1 song or two from so many albums and make up a Bruce Country record (A lot from the River)...as Bruce wrote about so many country music "themes" (cars, women, racing, hometowns, etc...)

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

Always thought Bruce missed out on a huge "country" music audience...as you can take 1 song or two from so many albums and make up a Bruce Country record (A lot from the River)...as Bruce wrote about so many country music "themes" (cars, women, racing, hometowns, etc...)
I have always thought the same thing about his songs. Change the arrangement and instrumentation on many of them and they are very country.

Originally posted by jmg75:
Originally posted by Knight_Light:
I have always thought the same thing about his songs. Change the arrangement and instrumentation on many of them and they are very country.
Many you wouldn't need to change at all:

The River
Cadillac Ranch
Pink Cadillac
Darlington County
Mr State Trooper
Atlantic City
My Hometown
I'm Going Down
Hungry Heart
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Empty Sky
Highway Patrolman
Johnny 99
Nebraska
I'm on Fire
Working on the Highway
Downbound Train

Plus probably another 2-3 dozen other songs that could be considered country/rockabilly, etc...

I've lost track when I've been with some of my country friends and a song comes on and those country bumpkins say "who's that? sounds great!"

From 1978, Bruce & Southside Johnny singing my of my favorite Bruce songs: "The Fever"

Enjoy

LINK

Torn between Bruce going country and could have been great pop songs, Fire is best example. Hungry Heart, Blinded By The Light of Day, From Small Things, Cadillac Ranch, Because The Night, all could be classics if not already...

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:
The Rising is my favorite album. He finally found true inspiration to write, not about some random cause like Mexican drug mules on Tom Joad or whoever the hell Outlaw Pete is.
right there with you. Can't believe how much I love this album. But that was one tough pick.

Originally posted by Ru2bnj:

Paradise is a quiet masterpiece on that album.

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:
I think Bruce lost so much of his Jersey Shore connection to life when he moved out to LA in the late 80's/90's...as his life experiences and those of other NJ residents inspired so much of his music during the 70's...and he never seem to capture it again till after 9/11 with The Rising.

The Rising Tour was probably the most moving tour Bruce ever did...as it had meaning...remembrance...and the joy of bouncing back.

I'd vote for Tracks, Disc 3. "Cynthia", "This Hard Land", "Rockaway the Days", "Car Wash", "Janey Don't You Lose Heart", "Pink Cadillac", "My Love Will Not Let You Down". Not bad for a collection of rejects, ie outtakes
This post was edited on 4/20 11:36 AM by DontTedonMe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT