ADVERTISEMENT

Possible next coach name I was told

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
I know nothing about womens bball but a friend reached out to me this morning and said that he’d heard there’s a coach who we’d be trying to lure named Courtney Banghart.

I’ve never heard of her and only did a quick google search that says she coaches at unc. No idea what she makes or if she’s a candidate that makes sense, but that was a name I was told.

don’t kill the messenger.

I know very little about WBB but what about Chris Dailey? Or is that a Eddie Jordan- like hire?

That list sounds about right to me; I think Chelsea Newton is unlikely to come given she just got the new job as Associate HC at Texas A&M (I obviously love Chelsea but think she will likely get her HC start at a smaller program).

We should hire someone who's been a HC. Felisha Legette Jack would have been a great get, but Syracuse scooped her up (she's also a Cuse alum, so we might have missed out anyway).

That list sounds about right to me; I think Chelsea Newton is unlikely to come given she just got the new job as Associate HC at Texas A&M (I obviously love Chelsea but think she will likely get her HC start at a smaller program).

We should hire someone who's been a HC. Felisha Legette Jack would have been a great get, but Syracuse scooped her up (she's also a Cuse alum, so we might have missed out anyway).
I like Bozella knows the area, Banghart would be great but don't think it will happen. Megan Duffy would be ok.

I think Newton would come immediately for an HC position. I would be more concerned about her lack of HC experience. Who we get will depend on how much we are willing to pay. Going to take a seven figure annual salary to grab either Arrico-Barnes or Banghart who would be the top candidates on that list. I can't see Staley coming and the ship has past for Dailey. You really need someone who wants it and is willing to put in the work because this is a significant rebuild.

Duffy, Chelsea and Carla Berube are the most likely candidates in that article and don't know if Clara would leave Princeton after only one year
Duffy's at a basketball school in a major conference, so she might not feel its a step up coaching RU
Chelsea an obvious choice, unless Hobbs wants to stay away from candidates with a Stringer connection.
But Newton knows RU,she played for and was an assistant under CVS and probably would be a great bridge between the past and future of RU WBB in my opinion
Doesn't hurt that Chelsea is considered a rising star in the WBB coaching ranks

.Reiss of Rhode Island might be a possibility, but should be considered a long shot behind the 3 I posted about in this reply.
As for article, just a list adding some who won't come with a few possibilities and some no chance.at all.
Verry disapointing list as ar as I'm concerned

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I admit that I don’t know anything about xs and os or who can kill it in recruiting but you’ve had 2 hall of fame coaches in 50 years. Selfishly, I want another one

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Carla Berube

Head coaching record​

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2002–03Tufts17–7
2003–04Tufts18–6
2004–05Tufts14–10
2005–06Tufts10–13
2006–07Tufts18–88–12nd
2007–08Tufts26–47–22ndNCAA Division III Elite Eight
2008–09Tufts22–57–23rdNCAA Division III Second Round
2009–10Tufts21–66–34thNCAA Division III Second Round
2010–11Tufts18–65–45th
2011–12Tufts23–78–22ndNCAA Division III Sweet Sixteen
2012–13Tufts25–39–11stNCAA Division III Sweet Sixteen
2013–14Tufts30–310–01stNCAA Division III Final Four
2014–15Tufts30–310–01stNCAA Division III Final Four
2015–16Tufts28–410–01stNCAA Division III Runner-up
2016–17Tufts30–39–12ndNCAA Division III Runner-up
2017–18Tufts26–58–23rdNCAA Division III Elite Eight
2018–19Tufts28–38–23rdNCAA Division III Elite Eight
Tufts:384–96 (.800)105–20 (.840)
Princeton Tigers (Ivy League) (2019–present)​
2019–20Princeton26-114–01stPostseason not held
2020–21No team
2021–22Princeton22-414-01stNCAA Second Round
Princeton:48–5 (.906)28–0 (1.000)
Total:465–105 (.816)

I don't think he would stake is reputation and future on a coach who happens to have a connection to seton hall.

Carino’s comments are a bit of revisionist history. Barnhart went to UNC in 2019. You can argue CVS “could” have retired then but her 2020 (if not for COVID) and 2021 teams were both ncaa teams with a WNBA player in Arella. She landed a top 10 recruiting class in that time too.

Props to NJ.com for putting Dawn Staley on the list of possibles…😆😆😆

Maybe Dawn Staley loves a challenge?!? 🫣🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: MikeR0102
Since Hobbs is really a basketball guy, and since salaries for WBB are much less thant MBB or football, maybe he will really push for a star hire. How great would that be?

Reactions: MikeR0102
Can we please hire someone who is younger than my Grandma. This is a young person’s game! Timefor a refre!
Seriously doubt Dailey leaves the sweetest of gigs even if to come to her alma mater. If she did, it would be a HUGE get…make NO mistake about it and Geno would hate it.

Shereka Wright should be on the list. Not sure if she would be interested in leaving her home state of Texas, but she is worth looking into.

Also, can't forget the NBA assistants like Kristi Toliver, Lindsey Harding, Sonia Raman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT