ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PREVIEW/LIVE THREAD: Rutgers Basketball versus Iowa Part II

There wouldn't have been 6 technicals if the refs just called the two on Iowa without the mandatory make good on the other team. Good forbid we got to shoot some.
The only time I've seen 6 techs before in a game is when there was an all out fight. That didn't happen in this game. I have no idea what this crew was doing today.

Did you see Coach McCaffrey thanking Bo at the end of the game. Foul calls and lack of fouls against them was the game. Bo needs to go. There has to be enough video proof over many games that he is either incompetent or dishonest. Either is a reason that he should get a lifetime ban

Ultimately, we lost this game because we couldn't shoot and play defense. With that said, the all too familiar officiating crew really _cked us today when the foul shooting discrepancy is more than 15 FT's. You know an officiating crew lost control when they call 6--count-em 6 technicals. In all the decades I've played and watched basketball, I've NEVER seen an officiating crew lose control like that.
We lost because they had so many foul shot attempt……and made almost every single one. They did it in football so Not sure why that can’t in basketball. Game should be reviewed and these refs should not be allowed to officiate another game in the B1G let alone the NCAA tournament

Reactions: tm_nj and RU MAN
Me too - fight to the end. And 84-74 is a lot better than 84-68. Iowa was the better team today and deserved to win, but this was not a fairly reffed game (and I only complain about reffing on occasion) and if it had been fairly reffed, this is a much closer game that Iowa maybe wins by 5-6.
The reffing changed the entire game. Anyone who can't see that is blind. Some posters complain every game and sometimes it's a few calls. Today was absurd. It was worth more than 10 points for sure.

You also can't even quantify the potential impact. That reversal elbow to face call completely changed the momentum. If we get that call and score the game could have gone completely different.

Endless soft fouls for Iowa. We got nothing attacking the rim.

How do we feel about literally zero contribution from the bench? That’s doesn’t bode well for the future

Not only a control issue but it makes it look like pike hasn’t got the teams back and the strength coach has to step up. Not a good look.

That so called cylinder call which turned a potent flagrant 1 call against Keegan Murray to a touch foul on RHJ was a game changer which the shills on the B10 Network won‘t address.

Not only a control issue but it makes it look like pike hasn’t got the teams back and the strength coach has to step up. Not a good look.
Pike should have gotten that last tech. He was actually screaming at the ref, the other guy got caught in the crosshairs as it looked like it was him.

We lost because they had so many foul shot attempt……and made almost every single one. They did it in football so Not sure why that can’t in basketball. Game should be reviewed and these refs should not be allowed to officiate another game in the B1G let alone the NCAA tournament
And what's really sad, is I thought Bo Boroski has simmered down and was actually calling games this season pretty fairly. Not today. That prick decided HE wanted to be the center of attention. Never mind that the other two officials only seemed to blow their whistles whenever our players were on defense. During the game Iowa hacked us god knows how many times and never got called especially against Cliff, Paul and Ron down low.

Did you see Coach McCaffrey thanking Bo at the end of the game. Foul calls and lack of fouls against them was the game. Bo needs to go. There has to be enough video proof over many games that he is either incompetent or dishonest. Either is a reason that he should get a lifetime ban

Nah Rutgers just lost. Excuses are for losers. Iowa came out to play and kicked ass.

INTENTION by the REFS.. INTENTION to help IOWA was shown multiple times.

I mentioned the bogus "cylinder" BS before.. but watch that late foul call against Harper where there was a little contact between elbows.

FIRST OFF.. the REF who makes the call was watching it the whole way and he DID NOT MAKE the call when he saw the contact.. IF he saw that contact. His arms made no motion to call a foul nor did he whistle it.

INSTEAD, he turns his head to watch the shot... sees it will be a turnover for Iowa then suddenly makes the call.

That trend.. to turn IOWA turnovers into fouls on RUTGERS was a theme in this game.

I cannot say that Iowa was not the better team and would not have won without help from the Refs.. but I can say that Rutgers deserves its fair share of calls and NON-CALLS like Iowa got this game and it is a total lack of respect or BAD INTENTIONS on the part of these refs to make their bais so obvious.

I hope those double technicals by our strength coach force someone to take a look at the calls in this game because that was some bullspit.

Reactions: Scangg and tm_nj
The reffing changed the entire game. Anyone who can't see that is blind. Some posters complain every game and sometimes it's a few calls. Today was absurd. It was worth more than 10 points for sure.

You also can't even quantify the potential impact. That reversal elbow to face call completely changed the momentum. If we get that call and score the game could have gone completely different.

Ok just to confirm, you think Rutgers is a better team than Iowa? Because our projected seeds 4/5 vs 12/NIT would say otherwise. You guys got outplayed, and the difference in the game was the depth of Iowa vs lack of Rutgers depth - 18 to 0 bench points. Refs had nothing to do with the outcome. If you legit think Rutgers outplayed Iowa, you should call the Rutgers Bball players and ask them what they think.

Nah Rutgers just lost. Excuses are for losers. Iowa came out to play and kicked ass.
BS.. I cannot say you would not have won without the refs help.. you have a good team and they played well.. but that was NOT a fairly officiated game. Not in any way, shape or form. BOTH points can be true.. that Iowa is the better team AND the refs screwed Rutgers.

Is a 10 point loss versus a nine or 11 point loss relevant in terms of how this game is reviewed by the committee?

Ok just to confirm, you think Rutgers is a better team than Iowa? Because our projected seeds 4/5 vs 12/NIT would say otherwise. You guys got outplayed, and the difference in the game was the depth of Iowa vs lack of Rutgers depth - 18 to 0 bench points. Refs had nothing to do with the outcome. If you legit think Rutgers outplayed Iowa, you should call the Rutgers Bball players and ask them what they think.

Difference in the game was us going cold for a stretch in the first half, shooting like 1-14 on mostly good looks. Iowa knocked down their good looks, and we didn't. Iowa also got to the line an absurd 27 times (more than any 40 min conference game they've played all year). Ballgame.

If Iowa and Rutgers played 10 times, I think we split 5/5.

Im always skeptical when we blame the refs, but when a team that shoots as well as they do gets a 13 FT edge, it’s hard not to accept they had an advantage. Didn’t like the Harper elbow call, but call it a wash and give RU the ball.

Reactions: tm_nj
Were we outplayed today? Yes.

Did the refs have "NOTHING" to do with the outcome? Of course they did. Two technicals on our bench, very few fouls on Iowa despite us attacking the rim frequently (which contributed to the technicals - if we were getting those calls, there's no bench outrage to the level of a T).

We are a lower seed (if we make it) because we stunk in Nov-Dec and our NET stinks for a bubble team.

Your team is going to be a tough out, but read the room you are in. They're not going to get a lot of love here today.

If you think the refs had nothing to do with the outcome there is no point discussing anything with you

Holy Sh*t you want to see excuses, read your own board from January 19th. You guys could write a book on excuses longer than War and Peace.

giphy.gif

If you think the refs had nothing to do with the outcome there is no point discussing anything with you
Just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying. Is it that you sincerely believe Rutgers deserved to beat Iowa today, and is a better team top to bottom?

I don't understand the point.. Illinois is a better team than Indiana and they just lost prior to our game. The "better" team does not always win. But in today's case.. the refs sure helped that happen.

#2Iowa lost by 15 to Oregon in second round last year. Expect more of same this year. Officiating won’t help as much in the dance.

IMHO Iowa was the better team today.

Do you think when Ron was elbowed that he should have been called for a foul? that was completely outrageous, and it was indeed a big foul as it cost us points and Keegan, who is admittedly a tremendous player, would have been out of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT