ADVERTISEMENT

Progress for Griffiths

Maybe this is a reach on my part. But perhaps in Pikiell's master plan, Griffiths isn't a fit for this year's team. But maybe next year, we'll play a different style that will better suit Griffiths as well as the newcomers.
Could be, but then shouldn't the plan be to have him focus on defense and ball movement and not shoot unless you have a clear shot? That does not seem to be happening.

Reactions: LeapinLou
In the scrimmage against St. John's he was 5-15 including 3-8 from three. I do think his confidence is down but confidence does not come close to fully explaining his struggles.
He looked how I’d expect a highly touted freshman getting his first D1 action to look in that St. John’s scrimmage. Yes, not the most efficient from the floor — but you could see flashes there. Somehow he seems to have gotten progressively worse since that first game action.

Confusing, but those early flashes are what I’m using to convince myself he may have something to offer down the line. As you said, have to hope it’s purely confidence and he’ll look like a whole new player with another offseason

Reactions: kcg88 and cshelley
It was clear the couple of times that I saw Gavin play that he's never played a lot of defense and the quality of competition wasn't the strongest. Also he wasn't playing on a top AAU team either. All things our fans chose to overlook.

So he had to adjust to playing defense which also includes having to box out and rebound which he didn't really have to do in HS as well as adjust to being defended on shots.

He actually has a pretty good shot and range. His problem has been that the speed of the game in B1G play has forced him to rush his shots and make poor decisions. He's still learning what he needs to do on defense and rebounding. All of this has led to significant confidence issues. Yet we've seen some brief flashes on offensive. Year 2 should see improvement as things slow down and he's more comfortable on the floor. No different than what Cliff, Paul and others have gone through as they matured from Year 1 to Year 2.

BTW RU72 did provide some of what he thought Gavin needed to work on in a thread and people dismissed him. Don't think he bothered after that since we have too many fans that get blinded by stars and don't want to listen to the reality.

Everyone expected a little more from Gavin this year. But what no one saw coming was how dysfunctional our offense would be and the lack of leadership on the floor. Without being in Gavin's head we have no idea how much this played into his struggles.

Instead of attacking people over who said what, we should all be supporting Gavin right now because the team needs him to be an integral part of the offense next season whether he's starting or coming off the bench.
Jeremiah Williams has provided some leadership and stability for the offense since his arrival. Minus the Minnesota game, id like to see Gav run with jwill a little...see if he can unlock him.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Fernandez is smaller and a known 3 point shooter. Even he is able to get some open looks. Everything GG does is contested. Is it him and/or the staff the reason for this?

Our elite defense gives up open looks to guys that are very good 3 point shooters.

Badge of honor to me cited by KNN (know nothing Nick), you know the guy who said that UConn and Cam both "stink." But I digress. Many of my Gavin comments were derivative of the thought by 3 posters that he was a one or two and done. He wasn't and obviously isn't. Everytime I saw him in CT, he was superb offensively and didn't play D, because he didn't have to. Gavin has been a huge disappointment to me, but I support him because he is at Rutgers. He has no confidence now and I don't have the ability to opine if he is being misused, since I don't see him in practice every day. I do know that Steve remains very high on him and he is a very loyal kid who I am 99% certain would never enter the portal. I also know that Oskar is more valuable on the floor today than Gavin. I hope that he can thrive but probably not as a starter with Ace and Dylan. As to my NJ list,8 out of 9 is pretty darn good in Vegas. I would move Lee to number 1 today,remove Gavin and throw in Jeremiah at no. 5.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Tell me you are losing an argument without telling me your losing an argument: personal attacks and random "quotes" without providing actual qutoes.

I didn't "cite" you. I specifically quoted you.
Unlike you quoting me saying "Cam sucks". Still waiting for that quote.
I even did work for you once to make it easier.

The only reason there were "one or two and done" comments were because of you (and others) proving "expert" opinions on Gavin.
Such as:
  • Starter as a freshman
  • One of the teams leading scorer
  • One of the top Big Ten Freshman
  • Elite shooter and scorer from day 1

Without these "expert" predictions, no one would have mentioned one or two and done.

Believe me, I'm sure these "experts evaluations" wont spur any future one and done talk around here.

Tell me you are losing an argument without telling me your losing an argument: personal attacks and random "quotes" without providing actual qutoes.

The only reason there were "one or two and done" comments were because of you (and others) proving "expert" opinions on Gavin.
Such as:
  • Starter as a freshman

Without these "expert" predictions, no one would have mentioned one or two and done.

Believe me, I'm sure these "experts evaluations" wont spur any future one and done talk around here.
Nicky-You're adorable, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.Don't see you as an analyst at Goldman. Citing,for those of us in the business of citing cases is, indeed quoting. Nice clean-up on acumen. Let's work on "qutoes" next.

Reactions: NickRU714
Nicky-You're adorable, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.Don't see you as an analyst at Goldman. Citing,for those of us in the business of citing cases is, indeed quoting. Nice clean-up on acumen. Let's work on "qutoes" next.

Still waiting for UConn quotes.
But keep avoiding the topic.

Such as:
  • Starter as a freshman

Part of Gavin’s issues are the unrealistic expectations set by people who put him on a pedestal saying best Rutgers recruit ever. I hope it works out for him, but early returns have been nothing like some “experts” suggested

Yes we get it you flaunt your occupation as if anyone cares.
Analyst at Goldman? Eh. Too far from the Wall Street/Puerto 11 ferry to work there. Besides their return of office policy is to restrictive.

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-citation-and-vs-quotation/

Part of Gavin’s issues are the unrealistic expectations set by people who put him on a pedestal saying best Rutgers recruit ever. I hope it works out for him, but early returns have been nothing like some “experts” suggested
Experts have been evaluating talent since Jim Thorpe played at Carlisle.
There’s nothing unrealistic or unreasonable about thinking a 5 star player shouldn’t look completely lost.

Fernandez is smaller and a known 3 point shooter. Even he is able to get some open looks. Everything GG does is contested. Is it him and/or the staff the reason for this?

Our elite defense gives up open looks to guys that are very good 3 point shooters.
It’s him.. he just chucks them up.

Still waiting for UConn quotes.
But keep avoiding the topic.
Nicky- I don't have the time, nor inclination to track down gibberish and this will be the end of the dialogue. But I was at Seton Hall-UConn, as apparently were you, after strangely asking for a board referendum on whether you should attend. And while there, you issued, to my best and fondest recollection, the words that UConn and Cam both stink. I believe that I am actually awaiting a response on whether the mystery Tosan is indeed in the NBA. Did he actually have 12 rebounds in a half?

Experts have been evaluating talent since Jim Thorpe played at Carlisle.
There’s nothing unrealistic or unreasonable about thinking a 5 star player shouldn’t look completely lost.
It’s not only that he looks lost but he cannot even shoot free throws. He is 52% from line. There is nobody in this world that would predict that the best pure shooter Rutgers ever recruited could do that. In my opinion, it’s in his head now and it’s going to take a shrink to improve his confidence

Reactions: IL Lusciato
It’s not only that he looks lost but he cannot even shoot free throws. He is 52% from line. There is nobody in this world that would predict that the best pure shooter Rutgers ever recruited could do that. In my opinion, it’s in his head now and it’s going to take a shrink to improve his confidence
What was his free throw percentage in high school, what were his true shooting percentage’s during competition?
What was his 3 point shooting percentage?

Wait what

Apparently I'm supposed to care and be offended about his expert opinion of my job qualifications?
Although - based on his evaluations of Gavin (the actual topic on hand) that comment is actually a compliment. Since he is pretty bad at evaluating how people will perform.

I guess throwing around your occupation on an internet message board is some sort of status symbol.

The irony of him saying that is actually very funny. As if "analyst at Goldman" is some epic accomplishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: ILikePike and kcg88
The comedy in this thread is really good and I actually think Gavin has not played to my own expectations for this year....but some perspective is actually worth discussing.

Here's Aundre Hyatt's 3rd year stats as a RS Sophomore at RU in the 2021-22 season.

12.8 MPG
35.3 FG %
27.3 3 PT %
63.4 FT%
2.8 RPG
4.3 PPG

Here's Mawot Mag and his sophomore year stats

11.7 MPG
41.3 FG %
23.5 3 PT%
69.6 FT%
2 RPG
3.0 PPG

Here's Gavins freshman year stats to date.

16.2 MPG
31.6 FG%
24.0 3 PT %
52.4 FT %
1.7 RPG
5.1 PPG

This is NOT giving Gavin a free pass, my expectations on his ability and length and his obvious shooting range, far exceed what we got from Hyatt in his 3rd year of CBB and Mag's 2nd year of CBB. Keep in mind, Mag had injuries that slowed him down both years and Hyatt has a knee issue that really never got right until last year.

The jumps that both Hyatt made in his 2nd year in the program, system and obviously improved physically and comfort level are obvious. The jump from frosh to sophomore year for Mag is not really a comparison because he played so few minutes as a freshman.

If Gavin finds a couple more 3s the rest of the season, his numbers then are well ahead of 2 players who are earning starting caliber minutes now. And the reason why it's best to look at both Hyatt and Mag, is because RU and Pike are essentially trying to blend the production of both players together, one with clear strengths on offense (Hyatt) and Mag (defense).

I'd like to see Gavin improve his FT shooting and overall handle, needs to be tighter. Sure, adding some strength, will help, but so will reps and confidence.

I stressed all off-season how critical it was for RU to move forward with a faster paced game and how the guards needed to help find space and shots for Gavin. I also stressed that schools like Iowa and Michigan were also the top schools recruiting Gavin and both programs play at a faster tempo and those teams would find more shot attempts in transition for a player like Gavin.

If you are going to try and play games in the high 50s or low 60s and slug it out....and ask Gavin to play elite defense like Mag or want to have Gavin in a Hyatt type role as a spot up shooter, then you're not going to get maximum value out of Griffiths.

The goal next year is to find another guard to help JWill and Simpson/Davis and create offense and defensive pressure and allow Dylan Harper to freelance on offense and playmake. As RU increases the tempo, Gavins numbers and productivity will jump quickly. But it has to come with games in the mid 70s in scoring, much faster pace, less emphasis on being 1st in defense and more offense, more tempo and more shots in transition.

Bailey is obviously better than Hyatt off the dribble......Harper is clearly a player that elevates the backcourt and gives Davis more time to develop. Gavin (to me) can easily find minutes on the floor IF, he picks up the defensive intensity, rebounding. Those should be givens going from Year 1 to Year 2......the better Gavin rebounds and defends, the more minutes he can play......more minutes means more shots, more 3s and more PPG.
Rutgers has the second-fastest tempo in the Big Ten. Can you let me know how fast we need to play to make Gavin Griffiths a good player instead of a player with the lowest offensive rating of any real rotation player in the league?

Reactions: Scangg
This will be true of Dylan and Ace also,,that NOTHING Is established until one does it on the court.College basketball is tough, and sone degree of acclimation will be required.Still early in the game for Gavin.He will be fine

The comedy in this thread is really good and I actually think Gavin has not played to my own expectations for this year....but some perspective is actually worth discussing.

Here's Aundre Hyatt's 3rd year stats as a RS Sophomore at RU in the 2021-22 season.

12.8 MPG
35.3 FG %
27.3 3 PT %
63.4 FT%
2.8 RPG
4.3 PPG

Here's Mawot Mag and his sophomore year stats

11.7 MPG
41.3 FG %
23.5 3 PT%
69.6 FT%
2 RPG
3.0 PPG

Here's Gavins freshman year stats to date.

16.2 MPG
31.6 FG%
24.0 3 PT %
52.4 FT %
1.7 RPG
5.1 PPG

This is NOT giving Gavin a free pass, my expectations on his ability and length and his obvious shooting range, far exceed what we got from Hyatt in his 3rd year of CBB and Mag's 2nd year of CBB. Keep in mind, Mag had injuries that slowed him down both years and Hyatt has a knee issue that really never got right until last year.

The jumps that both Hyatt made in his 2nd year in the program, system and obviously improved physically and comfort level are obvious. The jump from frosh to sophomore year for Mag is not really a comparison because he played so few minutes as a freshman.

If Gavin finds a couple more 3s the rest of the season, his numbers then are well ahead of 2 players who are earning starting caliber minutes now. And the reason why it's best to look at both Hyatt and Mag, is because RU and Pike are essentially trying to blend the production of both players together, one with clear strengths on offense (Hyatt) and Mag (defense).

I'd like to see Gavin improve his FT shooting and overall handle, needs to be tighter. Sure, adding some strength, will help, but so will reps and confidence.

I stressed all off-season how critical it was for RU to move forward with a faster paced game and how the guards needed to help find space and shots for Gavin. I also stressed that schools like Iowa and Michigan were also the top schools recruiting Gavin and both programs play at a faster tempo and those teams would find more shot attempts in transition for a player like Gavin.

If you are going to try and play games in the high 50s or low 60s and slug it out....and ask Gavin to play elite defense like Mag or want to have Gavin in a Hyatt type role as a spot up shooter, then you're not going to get maximum value out of Griffiths.

The goal next year is to find another guard to help JWill and Simpson/Davis and create offense and defensive pressure and allow Dylan Harper to freelance on offense and playmake. As RU increases the tempo, Gavins numbers and productivity will jump quickly. But it has to come with games in the mid 70s in scoring, much faster pace, less emphasis on being 1st in defense and more offense, more tempo and more shots in transition.

Bailey is obviously better than Hyatt off the dribble......Harper is clearly a player that elevates the backcourt and gives Davis more time to develop. Gavin (to me) can easily find minutes on the floor IF, he picks up the defensive intensity, rebounding. Those should be givens going from Year 1 to Year 2......the better Gavin rebounds and defends, the more minutes he can play......more minutes means more shots, more 3s and more PPG.
Wait what - you think we’re recruiting another guard that’s going to solve Gavin’s problems? Maybe we bring in a guard if Davis, Simpson William’s or GG leave. But there’s no way there is mystery guard out there waiting to come in - computer for time with Dylan and 3 starters and help Gavin find his way.

Gavin's defense did improve a ton this season which shows that he is coachable and the effort is there

Would love to see a breakout game before the season is over offensively to give more hope.for next season. Have to think next year he can at minimum be an effective spot up 3 point shooter off the bench with Ace Dylan and JWill drawing attention and creating more open looks

He's lost confidence. Looks like some possessions he pre determines he's going to shoot. The game is moving fast for him etc etc

Reactions: ILikePike
What were they looking at when they gave him all of those stars ?
It’s all an in exact science. He finished as the top 4* recruit.

You can never predict learning curve though because there are so many variables at play with each player’s transition to college.

Just need to be patient & not repeat all the stupidity like with Paul, Caleb & others, and trust the staff’s development plan for him.

Gavin's defense did improve a ton this season which shows that he is coachable and the effort is there

Would love to see a breakout game before the season is over offensively to give more hope.for next season. Have to think next year he can at minimum be an effective spot up 3 point shooter off the bench with Ace Dylan and JWill drawing attention and creating more open looks

He's lost confidence. Looks like some possessions he pre determines he's going to shoot. The game is moving fast for him etc etc
He is rushing things because the game is moving so fast for him. He really needs to slow down, let the shots come to him and lock in on defense. I would much rather see him catch, throw a shot fake and drive / pass vs tossing up a fast shot. Not everyone is ready to compete at this level right away. After a good offseason, he should be much more prepared for the Big Ten.

Reactions: Scangg
Who isn’t supporting Gav, who doesn’t want to see him massively succeed?

He comes in and puts up some of the worst minutes you’ve ever seen from a player at any level.

So you acknowledge it….
we've had a lot worse....he's not a total stiff. it's his production relative to hype & expectations that's very low.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT