ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue and the refs. Watch these clils

biazza38

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
For context the free throw difference was 32-9 favoring Purdue. This is a damn joke. Watch these vids

Reactions: tm_nj
I'm so tired of Edey. And before him it was Garza. Glad this is his last year
With one exception. Edy is a good dude and it is not his fault the refs do this crap. He is clearly good enough to not get away with these benefits or the one late where the announcer called it a fly on his arm because yeah he got touched but clearly not even 5% disruptive.

The call earlier where they called the Purdue guard for the hook when it was clearly Hepburn was just another example of I do not know what those guys are watching on the calls.
Hey I am not defending Purdue or disagreeing with the OP.
Watched the last 10 mins of the Princeton game and it was more of the same. Mind boggling reffing.

Reactions: biazza38 and slyker
With one exception. Edy is a good dude and it is not his fault the refs do this crap. He is clearly good enough to not get away with these benefits or the one late where the announcer called it a fly on his arm because yeah he got touched but clearly not even 5% disruptive.

The call earlier where they called the Purdue guard for the hook when it was clearly Hepburn was just another example of I do not know what those guys are watching on the calls.
Hey I am not defending Purdue or disagreeing with the OP.
Watched the last 10 mins of the Princeton game and it was more of the same. Mind boggling reffing.
I really think part of it has to do with the way the game is played.
Forget Edey and Purdue for a minute, refs don’t want to blow the whistle every 10 seconds. The last few years, big men have been shielding off defenders whenever an offensive players drives to the hoop. It’s pretty annoying whenever I see that

I don't know - refs made alot of bad calls in favor of Wisconsin.. For example, Chuckie swatted Edey in the head on the out of bounds throw at the end of the game (25 seconds to go. They reviewed and didn't see a flagrant?. Also, Chuckie hooked Smith, but they called the foul on Smith. Just a couple examples.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I really think part of it has to do with the way the game is played.
Forget Edey and Purdue for a minute, refs don’t want to blow the whistle every 10 seconds. The last few years, big men have been shielding off defenders whenever an offensive players drives to the hoop. It’s pretty annoying whenever I see that
I kinda feel they need to get back to real impact of the foul,contact to make the call. It's already so subjective anyway. I'm pretty sure they put situation into the decision. They ought to do the same with contact as in to I'd it really have any impact on the play.
I'm not suggesting it has to be very material..but sometimes they blow the whistle before the contact or other situations that are terribly in material. That's why everything is reviewed now. Must get everything right and in turn get things wrong anyway.

Reactions: biazza38
I don't know - refs made alot of bad calls in favor of Wisconsin.. For example, Chuckie swatted Edey in the head on the out of bounds throw at the end of the game (25 seconds to go. They reviewed and didn't see a flagrant?. Also, Chuckie hooked Smith, but they called the foul on Smith. Just a couple examples.
I noted the second one too but that was not a flagrant foul on Edy. Yeah there was contact after he tossed it so it didn't effect the play. At some point you just gotta play the game. That's my opinion. I actually thought they were smart not to go there in that situation.

PURDONT is trending. Social is roasting 'em. Fans of all other B1G teams are celebrating how Purdont gets all the calls, fouled out all the Wisconsin bigs, and still lost. Videos of Edey mugged a Wisconsin player to no call, Braden Smith with a walk in front of a ref at the top of the key no call, 35 FTs to 9 FTs, etc. The B1G refs really don't do Painter and Purdue favors by calling games this way when they hit the tournament.

I didn't mean I hate Edey. Just that he gets away with a lot. I actually like Edey the person, seems like a good dude
I did not mean to imply that's what you said. I was texting with a Wisconsin buddy, during the game, and I was amazed at the calls that went in his favor today, and that was without the B1G refs. Yes, Edey seems good.

Shannon for Illinois gets every call also.
This. Of all the Rutgers bball games taken away from us by the refs, watching the Illinois-Ohio State game yesterday was the most one-sided officiating I’ve ever seen. Illinois got a whistle every possession down the stretch. 7-0 fouls on OSU in the final 6 mins. Illinois won without scoring a basket that wasn’t an and-1 in the final 8 minutes of the game. If I was an OSU fan i’d have stormed the court

What is a “Big ten ref”, and how is it different than the refs doing Purdue’s NCAA games?
Seriously? You don't know the conferences have dedicated refs (who may work more than 1 conference) but the NCAA is made up of 100 officials from across all the conferences?

Seriously? You don't know the conferences have dedicated refs (who may work more than 1 conference) but the NCAA is made up of 100 officials from across all the conferences?
“Dedicated” is a stretch, as these guys are moving from conference to conference every night…the crew that worked Purdue’s NCAA game last year could have easily worked any Big Ten game all season, as all 3 guys were working Big Ten games.

B10 refs protect Edey. Example yesterday, Edey runs over Wahl who is perfectly positioned to take a charge, and HighKnees Andersen calls the foul on Wahl. In the Round of 64 Tournament, the refs from elsewhere won’t show Edey the same deference. Does not bode well for Purdue‘s chances to make a run for the National Championship.

“Dedicated” is a stretch, as these guys are moving from conference to conference every night…the crew that worked Purdue’s NCAA game last year could have easily worked any Big Ten game all season, as all 3 guys were working Big Ten games.
Let me know if you have a resource for finding conf. affiliations by ref. I found this extremely detailed database but can't find affiliations anywhere. Even googling the refs names doesn't help.

Just interested in the theory/facts. Also I wonder if the Director that schedules even thinks about this or more likely since they all are supposed to be stars just randomly selects (to start).

Let me know if you have a resource for finding conf. affiliations by ref. I found this extremely detailed database but can't find affiliations anywhere. Even googling the refs names doesn't help.

Just interested in the theory/facts. Also I wonder if the Director that schedules even thinks about this or more likely since they all are supposed to be stars just randomly selects (to start).
Kenpom lists the refs of every game, and then if you click on the ref, you can see his entire schedule for the season (including the Conference of each Conference game). But you'd need to be a subscriber (though the $20 he charges for a year is a bargain IMO).

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
It's largely regional, though. Most refs aren't on cross-continent flights every week. Refs that live in the Midwest cover a lot more B1G games than refs who live in the Southwest. The higher demand refs will have wider geographical ranges, but most aren't hitting up games at the four corners off the country consistently.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Purdue is going to win it all this year IMO.

I respect the hell out of Edey, the guy is like 8 feet tall and hits his free throws better than our guards.

It's largely regional, though. Most refs aren't on cross-continent flights every week. Refs that live in the Midwest cover a lot more B1G games than refs who live in the Southwest. The higher demand refs will have wider geographical ranges, but most aren't hitting up games at the four corners off the country consistently.
I'd say that it's mostly regional at the lower level conferences (and that it used to be more regional)...but once you reach the Big Ten these days, most of these guys are flying all over the country. Watching Pac12 and WCC games, I'm always seeing the same guys that were doing Big Ten games a night or two earlier.

Kenpom lists the refs of every game, and then if you click on the ref, you can see his entire schedule for the season (including the Conference of each Conference game). But you'd need to be a subscriber (though the $20 he charges for a year is a bargain IMO).
Cool thanks. Always appreciate the facts and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.
However I do believe that here is a different style of play for the conferences as perhaps that's in the workbook.
Research shows a substantial effort to make the calls consistent in the tourney but that doesn't mean there isn't some level of "influence" by the leagues in season. . If not they'd just have a national approach without conference directors.
Sorry this is America where money drives behavior. I'll never agree that there isn't some level of bias in the games. Way too self serving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
I'd say that it's mostly regional at the lower level conferences (and that it used to be more regional)...but once you reach the Big Ten these days, most of these guys are flying all over the country. Watching Pac12 and WCC games, I'm always seeing the same guys that were doing Big Ten games a night or two earlier.
The highest profile refs (Courtney Greene, etc) go everywhere, but they're the minority.

There should also be a limit on travel and consecutive games, because fatigue is definitely a thing (like mandated rest for trick drivers).

The highest profile refs (Courtney Greene, etc) go everywhere, but they're the minority.

There should also be a limit on travel and consecutive games, because fatigue is definitely a thing (like mandated rest for trick drivers).
To be fair. Truck drivers are regulated because they are operating 48,000 + cargos @65mph on public interstates.
Your point about fatigue and mental sharpness is a valid one though. I think there is more to laziness than fatigue though.

I'm usually the poster boy for not whining about referees, but some of this stuff is just ridiculous and can't be an accident...

Edey gets every call. The refs are so blatantly in favor of Purdue it’s embarrassing. No wonder Purdue keeps losing in the tournament, they can’t get all the phantom calls that they get in the big10
They were undefeated OOC including Marquette, Tennessee, Arizona, Alabama and Gonzaga - that would be 3 x 2 seeds. a 4 and a 5. They don’t need B1G refs to win.

Reactions: TC4THREE
They were undefeated OOC including Marquette, Tennessee, Arizona, Alabama and Gonzaga - that would be 3 x 2 seeds. a 4 and a 5. They don’t need B1G refs to win.
This. Haven't lost a regular season non-conference game since 2020. 41 wins a row.

The postseason problems have nothing to do with officiating. Edey had 21 points and 15 rebounds against Fairleigh Dickinson. He shot 10 free throws an ended up with only 1 foul.

The FDU loss had to do with 16 turnovers (Braden Smith had 7 himself) and shooting 5-26 from 3.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Don't these type of calls limit the ceiling of Purdue every year? They got lucky with a good bracket but could see them going down early with Edey getting in foul trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT