bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Flood tainted the brand after initial success

Ash buried the brand

Schiano has invigorated the fanbase and has the brand poised for new heights

Last year was hard to read for pretty much any program with the reduced amount of games and no fans and weird scheduling. We saw glimpses here and there. We saw the whole culture change with the players from expecting to lose to playing without any fear. Sure more losses than wins but to the fanbase and to the recruits there was a belief that Rutgers can win again and win sooner rather than later.

The recruits are coming and coming in droves but do not discount how important it has been to get off to a solid start this season.

Sure the offense didnt seem in synch vs Temple but Rutgers won 61-14

Sure the offense didnt seem in synch vs Syracuse but Rutgers won 17-7

Sure Vedral has taken alot of heat and isnt the guy we would like him to be but Rutgers is 2-0

I mean Vedral was what 23-29 today with no ints? Maybe we need to back off. Maybe what we are seeing in front of our eyes is the reestablishing of the Rutgers brand of chopping. Maybe the game manager who does not make mistakes is our ticket to .500 plus this year.

Today was an ugly grind out game that in the days of techmo college football looks archaic and out of place but nothing about Rutgers success as a football has ever been "normal"

I will say it here, RU defense is back and that will always keep us in games.

I like what I see because this ugly brand of football did its job the past 2 weeks. Particularly impressive is the way special teams has been enormous in securing field position that has put the opponents in awful situations. Forcing turnovers has also been a key and it was huge today in two particular spots, the turnover when it looked like Cuse was going up 7-0 and then after a possible momentum shift when RU missed a fg to go up 17-7, they got the ball right back and ended up putting up that fg and securing the victory.

Also composure, one team kept its composure today and one didnt...well maybe it was the coaching staff. Schiano won a battle of the mind with the refs so do not discount that either.

Rutgers will inevitably be exposed at some point in a Big 10 game and that will cause some gnashing off teeth and wtf is Gleeson doing kind of threads but thats okay. Help is on the way. RU has already positioned themselves to finally return to bowling. I am confident that with a win next week vs Delaware that RU can find 3 more wins somewhere on the schedule.

One thing is clear, the Schiano 2.0 era thus far has eclipsed everyones expectations.

Good post. Syracuse's glory years are well behind them. They are now a middling P5 team at best. But considering how bad things were with Ash, a win on the road against a team like Syracuse is still an accomplishment. We need to be able to win games like this as a step forward towards bigger and better things. Overall, a good solid win today

Schiano simply carries a gravitas that gives everyone around RU football belief. He instantly elevated our level and continues to improve it with each passing day. The man leads, we follow, and more times than not the result is better than the opponent. Over time, we become better than most.

Ash buried the brand

Last year was hard to read for pretty much any program with the reduced amount of games and no fans and weird scheduling. We saw glimpses here and there. We saw the whole culture change with the players from expecting to lose to playing without any fear. Sure more losses than wins but to the fanbase and to the recruits there was a belief that Rutgers can win again and win sooner rather than later.

The recruits are coming and coming in droves but do not discount how important it has been to get off to a solid start this season.

Sure Vedral has taken alot of heat and isnt the guy we would like him to be but Rutgers is 2-0

I mean Vedral was what 23-29 today with no ints? Maybe we need to back off. Maybe what we are seeing in front of our eyes is the reestablishing of the Rutgers brand of chopping. Maybe the game manager who does not make mistakes is our ticket to .500 plus this year.

Today was an ugly grind out game that in the days of techmo college football looks archaic and out of place but nothing about Rutgers success as a football has ever been "normal"

I like what I see because this ugly brand of football did its job the past 2 weeks. Particularly impressive is the way special teams has been enormous in securing field position that has put the opponents in awful situations. Forcing turnovers has also been a key and it was huge today in two particular spots, the turnover when it looked like Cuse was going up 7-0 and then after a possible momentum shift when RU missed a fg to go up 17-7, they got the ball right back and ended up putting up that fg and securing the victory.

Also composure, one team kept its composure today and one didnt...well maybe it was the coaching staff. Schiano won a battle of the mind with the refs so do not discount that either.

Rutgers will inevitably be exposed at some point in a Big 10 game and that will cause some gnashing off teeth and wtf is Gleeson doing kind of threads but thats okay. Help is on the way. RU has already positioned themselves to finally return to bowling. I am confident that with a win next week vs Delaware that RU can find 3 more wins somewhere on the schedule.

One thing is clear, the Schiano 2.0 era thus far has eclipsed everyones expectations.
Don’t forget Korsak.

I guess i will have to accept, based on so many of the posts on this board, a new definition of a good/bad team. Good teams win with offense that dominates other teams, bad teams win with defense and special teams and an offense that manages the game. Good and bad are no longer defined by winning and losing. Interesting take. Here Edwards quote “you play to win the game” no longer applies.

I was very happy to see Rutgers sweatshirts for sale in Costco in the North Plainfield one. Never understood why I would go to a Costco say in Fort Myers, FL and see FGCU stuff but here in NJ never Rutgers stuff. So good to see. I saw also in Belmar the last 2 weekends more 20 something types wearing Rutgers hats or tshirts than I saw in years.

Ash buried the brand

Great post. And to those that wanted the offense to open up, I get it. But GS has always been a conservative coach. And we clearly won this game as the team that made less mistakes. And the bottom line is GS always has a plan to actually try to win the game.

Ash buried the brand

Today was the ultimate “Chop” IMHO.

Reactions: bac2therac
Schiano simply carries a gravitas that gives everyone around RU football belief. He instantly elevated our level and continues to improve it with each passing day. The man leads, we follow, and more times than not the result is better than the opponent. Over time, we become better than most.
Not only that, but it appears based on the reactions of a lot of fans of other schools that don't have an agenda against Rutgers, the fact it is Schiano getting this quick success is getting them to assume the success will build (because he did it here before) and the stench of the Flood/Ash eras is being wiped out in the greater CFB world more quickly than it would have been with a new coach even if he matched what Schiano has done.

Reactions: Eagleton96

Ash buried the brand

Excellent observations. What many forget is that the hallmark of many Schiano 1.0 teams was sold aggressive defense , solid special teams and this team is just that. Vedral is a game manger in apparentlya very good one with Rutgers 2-0 and not having thrown a single interception in two games. What is somewhat overlooked is that the O-line is just not dominating the line of scrimmage so the running has yet to open up. A running game would complement Vedral's short game greatly. To some extent Schiano's formula is alot like what's made Iowa , Wisconsin, Michigan State and Northwestern successful. Solid defense and timely opportunistic mistake-free offense.

I was very happy to see Rutgers sweatshirts for sale in Costco in the North Plainfield one. Never understood why I would go to a Costco say in Fort Myers, FL and see FGCU stuff but here in NJ never Rutgers stuff. So good to see. I saw also in Belmar the last 2 weekends more 20 something types wearing Rutgers hats or tshirts than I saw in years.

We need to get Heavenly on that. 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT