ADVERTISEMENT

Ajani threw the best ball of the day.

Even if Gavin threw for 300 yards - 4 TD’s - 75 yards rushing with zero intercepts some would criticize him.Let the staff decide… it’s what they get paid to do. If we all were that good we would be in the college P5 business.
Mostly true. There are other factors besides winning. Here and everywhere. Human factors: keeping priority players happy/promises, system/philosophy, risk/reward, job pressure, surrounding talent, etc.

Direct comparison of talent isn’t the calculus.

For example, it Doesn’t do much good to choose a great passer if the OL sucks and the receivers have bad hand and can’t get open.

Also had a great conversation with Lou Pinella in the 80’s … a proponent of Charlie Lau . As an Ex catcher it always fascinated me the many different hitting philosophies out there. Also learned from Fred Hill, Mike Sheppard and another local guy Joe Wladyka all college coaches and quite reputable.
I'm guessing you also had conversations with Matt Bolger (in between his alcohol beverages)? I played a year under him, wasn't impressed.

Now there is a name I haven’t heard for quite some time. I was more a kid who was a fan of Torborg since he grew up near me. I think he did ok 😜

Reactions: ScarletNut
I saw the first three passes and it was all I could take. Johnson gets hit right in the numbers but (as usual with RU) he couldn't make the contested catch. Then you had a couple guys get hit in the hands and cant hold on. Looking like the Bad News Bears.

pO2leZv.gif

ZC3ay1j.gif

quEcCuZ.gif
The second pass was 5 feet behind the Receiver. A short pass to a wide open player that Wimsatt continues to have accuracy problems with. Even the 3rd pass was not accurate either.

Even if Gavin threw for 300 + yards - 4 TD’s - ran for 70 yds. With zero Interceptions some on this board would say he’s terrible. Think people need to let the staff decide this one. All said these 4 QB’s are better than what we had for sometime .
never going to happen.. ever. Unless you have Howard in your dreams.

I couldnt watch so I’m not necessarily comparing Gavin to anyone other than himself from last season. Turnovers were never really his issue. It’s accuracy. I was hoping to see strides in that area. 8 for 16 doesn’t seem great, albeit a small sample.
Accuracy issue is turnover issue. Is why he wasn’t allowed to throw between the numbers. Passing game was limited to 5 yards from sidelines, lowest risk.

Point is, GW was more restricted in his third year in the program than any true frosh starter in D1. Still Training wheels.

Last edited:
Never ? Will you agree to leave the board if he does pull that off? Why you in particular have hated on this player is strange. If you are a Rutgers guy it is understandable you want to see the best guy at QB…I will trust Schiano and staff to make the pick. You may now go to your Schiano bashing 😜

Looky - I know most people here hate (hate) Wimsatt.
But they dont have to get silly about what they see.
Its the B1G! A ball hits a scholarship in the hands/chest he's supposed to catch it.
Its not baseball with balls and strikes.
Even if one guy did have an excuse there were three crummy goof drops in a row.
Think tOSU had three drops in a row?
A completion % takes two - actually more if you include OL (GW did have some pressure on his throws compared to others).

There was also this in addition to the TD run - the GW specialty (yes - he a spread QB technically).
The guy throws for a TD and runs for two and gallops up the field and people talk about him like he's worst ever. Ajani is actually my main guy just because he played local

uZWMMSQ.gif
Its the BIG a QB should be able to hit a receiver in stride when he is 5 yards away.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Never ? Will you agree to leave the board if he does pull that off? Why you in particular have hated on this player is strange. If you are a Rutgers guy it is understandable you want to see the best guy at QB…I will trust Schiano and staff to make the pick. You may now go to your Schiano bashing 😜
Would you agree it was extremely perplexing that Schiano didn’t give Simon another series after leading a crisp TD drive against Wisconsin while GW was sidelined after taking a big hit ? GW was struggling up to that point anyway…why put him right back in after Simon’s TD drive ?

I learned from some of the best. From late 50’’s through early 90’s….not unique .
That's great. I played 4 yrs of college ball & 12 or more years of heavy, fast semi-pro ball from the mid to late 1950, through the early 70's & was offered a contract by the Orioles, which I didn't sign. Also coached 3 different Legion teams over the years. And followed the game for decades. So I think I know a bit about the game. I'll repeat, the last guy I saw who hit down on the ball was the guy referenced in previous post who I played with in the late 50's.

Maybe we're talking about 2 different things. The last guy I saw who knew how to come up off his back foot to hit a letter high pitch was Keith Hernandez. Don't know if that is what you are referring to.

That's great. I played 4 yrs of college ball & 12 or more years of heavy, fast semi-pro ball from the mid to late 1950, through the early 70's & was offered a contract by the Orioles, which I didn't sign. Also coached 3 different Legion teams over the years. And followed the game for decades. So I think I know a bit about the game. I'll repeat, the last guy I saw who hit down on the ball was the guy referenced in previous post who I played with in the late 50's.

Maybe we're talking about 2 different things. The last guy I saw who knew how to come up off his back foot to hit a letter high pitch was Keith Hernandez. Don't know if that is what you are referring to.
None of this baseball swing debate, while interesting, has any more to do with throwing mechanics than the optimal direction of QB1's coffee stirring.

As to the swing debate, my limited knowledge of the subject suggests that preferred angle of contact has changed due to analytics and the departure from team interests to metrics that yield bigger contracts than high batting average achieves.

And, Ted Williams didn't face too many who threw 95+. Exit velo is higher today so that influences chosen mechanics.

Ok … very nice…it has nothing to do with hitting a high pitch… you are losing the point about what hitting down or slapping down at a pitch equates for a young player learning how to stay closed , balanced and not pulling your head off the ball. So I don’t think using Keith Hernandez as an example works for me. Here’s a story about Hernandez who is a proven scumbag. Shea Stadium Mets vs. Atlanta Braves… Dale Murphy is my son’s idol at 12 . Hernandez has a shitty day and Braves win. Post game he’s coming out in his car ( centerfield fence opens) almost runs over 10-12 kids waiting to get an autograph. Drives up along the walkway down the 3rd base line almost hitting another group. This was the time Keith was a suspected coke head. A total piece of crap.

Ok … very nice…it has nothing to do with hitting a high pitch… you are losing the point about what hitting down or slapping down at a pitch equates for a young player learning how to stay closed , balanced and not pulling your head off the ball. So I don’t think using Keith Hernandez as an example works for me. Here’s a story about Hernandez who is a proven scumbag. Shea Stadium Mets vs. Atlanta Braves… Dale Murphy is my son’s idol at 12 . Hernandez has a shitty day and Braves win. Post game he’s coming out in his car ( centerfield fence opens) almost runs over 10-12 kids waiting to get an autograph. Drives up along the walkway down the 3rd base line almost hitting another group. This was the time Keith was a suspected coke head. A total piece of crap.

You're rant on Hernandez is irrelevant to the topic. Not sure what not flying open & keeping your head on the ball has to do with hitting down on the ball. If that's your definition so be it. However many of the young kids who were taught that method, I haven't seen anyone in college or pros hitting down on the ball ball as I define it. We used to call it tomahawking the ball. I think we are dealing with two different definitions & I really don't care to continue the discussion.

Its the B1G! A ball hits a scholarship in the hands/chest he's supposed to catch it.
A completion % takes two - actually more if you include OL (GW did have some pressure on his throws compared to others).

There was also this in addition to the TD run - the GW specialty (yes - he a spread QB technically).
The guy throws for a TD and runs for two and gallops up the field and people talk about him like he's worst ever. Ajani is actually my main guy just because he played local

uZWMMSQ.gif
Have no hate but don't feel any passes were good. First one db has hand on arm and chest area of receiver, ball needs to be outside, this was his best of the three. Second one is terrible, short out to rb and way behind him. Third too far ahead, would have required acrobatic catch if even possible. He is still looking down receivers and going to hang them out to dry with these off-target passes. If we don't run qb's 8 - 10 times a game he should be third string.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Have no hate but don't feel any passes were good. First one db has hand on arm and chest area of receiver, ball needs to be outside, this was his best of the three. Second one is terrible, short out to rb and way behind him. Third too far ahead, would have required acrobatic catch if even possible. He is still looking down receivers and going to hang them out to dry with these off-target passes. If we don't run qb's 8 - 10 times a game he should be third string.
Two funny themes in this thread. First, if you think Gavin ain't the QB for the future, you "hate" him. How silly. Let's get this out right now. Gavin is a fine young man, and has shown that he a true gentleman, hard worker, and he bleeds Scarlet. He gave up his senior year of high school to come to Rutgers. None of that matters in P5 football, however. What matters, of course, is who the coaches feel gives Rutgers the best chance to win the most games. Plain and simple. If anything, we should all "like" Gavin more because he has a demonstrated track record of being a Rutgers man. AK could be a rental, and he could be an outcast from Minnesota. But if AK, Ajani or even AJ gives Rutgers a better chance to win games, we accept that the best QB earned the job. How many times in the past has the fans' choice did not succeed as a QB when they left. Rettig, Artur, JLew. . . .

Second, I fail to understand the baseball arguing in this thread. But Bob is gonna be Bob and tie up threads with his nonsensical fighting over stupid points that only he and one other poster care about.
What About Bob Time GIF

Reactions: Pils86
You're rant on Hernandez is irrelevant to the topic. Not sure what not flying open & keeping your head on the ball has to do with hitting down on the ball. If that's your definition so be it. However many of the young kids who were taught that method, I haven't seen anyone in college or pros hitting down on the ball ball as I define it. We used to call it tomahawking the ball. I think we are dealing with two different definitions & I really don't care to continue the discussion.
It’s not a rant it’s simply when I see Hernandez or read about this clown I have no respect for him.As for the discussion it was about trying to tell me you were absolutely correct. Pops you are in my era … yes tomahawking was what it was called… in the 80’s -early 90’s it was referred to as “ hitting down on the ball”… and finally it was a drill a hitting drill used to train a hitter to stay on the ball. Stopping a “ young “ hitter learning … not an older player. You are too obtuse for me to attempt to have you understand the concept.

It’s not a rant it’s simply when I see Hernandez or read about this clown I have no respect for him.As for the discussion it was about trying to tell me you were absolutely correct. Pops you are in my era … yes tomahawking was what it was called… in the 80’s -early 90’s it was referred to as “ hitting down on the ball”… and finally it was a drill a hitting drill used to train a hitter to stay on the ball. Stopping a “ young “ hitter learning … not an older player. You are too obtuse for me to attempt to have you understand the concept.
We were not discussing college , Semi pros or minor or MlB pros…

We were not discussing college , Semi pros or minor or MlB pros…
Tying to RU football, isn’t tomahawking a clear sharp downward CHOP ? That was never the way.

With a raised mound, no matter where their hands start, hitters need to make contact at an upward angle to get line drive lift.

uZWMMSQ.gif
hold on with the throwing one as it was 3rd and 18 and they ran and did not pick up the first. Instead, Greg opted for Redzone. Imagine that even in a controlled scrimmage, you run on 3rd and 18.

Also think it's unfair to expect someone to adjust the body, opposite momentum, and expect them make a catch that is way behind them. Gav had a few of those

I do agree that people etc silly with what they see for instance, some here still think this team shoud have him under center

Don't agree - those were bad plays by receivers. Rome Odunze and Marvin Harrison catch all those. People need to realize good WRs catch iffy passes, bad passes, off-passes etc. Many times the QB isn't trying to make the perfect throw because they are the easiest to INT. You put the ball off target a bit where the WR has the best chance to get it and not the DB. Some of those will get away from the QB - good WRs help. Watch the best teams and look how many times the WRs make receptions happen - they can be like magicians. Its a long season if everyone is expecting perfect spirals in the numbers. The Minn WR caught a sketchy pass. Good WRs do that - they aren't just hands.

HjeUet1.gif
Yeah right. Problem was the Receivers. GW passes were off target (again) and it’s their fault for not catching it.

I am confident that the coaching staff will select the QB that gives us the best chance to win games. That may or may not be the best or most accurate passer. Soooo much more goes into the decision than what we fans see in games and scrimmages.

Once we lose a game or two, it's very likely that the most popular QB will be someone other than the starter.

The one thing we can all agree upon is that we won't all agree upon much of anything when it comes to the QBs for the this season.

Response to RUBOB's last post---- Well first of all you're writing is very hard to follow. I get the notion that you & others were training young players to hit down on the ball in the 80's & 90's. All well & good. My point in our original exchange was that no pros or college guys hit down on the ball today. The technique is long gone[ if you want to point to someone who hits down on the ball & can show it, I'll readily acknowledge it], Both our points can be true.
Now as far as me being to obtuse to understand the concept, I've forgotten more about baseball than you'll ever know Sonny. If you want to throw insults around I'll have to say that you are clearly one of those guys who has to have the last word--right, wrong or in the middle. A real one way Louie rock head.
I'm not going to waste any more time on you. You can keep pounding the key board to your hearts content.

I am confident that the coaching staff will select the QB that gives us the best chance to win games. That may or may not be the best or most accurate passer. Soooo much more goes into the decision than what we fans see in games and scrimmages.

Once we lose a game or two, it's very likely that the most popular QB will be someone other than the starter.

The one thing we can all agree upon is that we won't all agree upon much of anything when it comes to the QBs for the this season.
If you have confidence in the staff to pick the right guy, there is no agita.

If one does not, oh boy this will be a fun few months on this board lmao.

Reactions: mildone
If you have confidence in the staff to pick the right guy, there is no agita.

If one does not, oh boy this will be a fun few months on this board lmao.
I haven’t been concerned about QB play like most people. I’m more concerned with how everybody else on O plays. I mostly think that whoever winds up playing QB this season will do about as well as the rest of the offense. Whereas it seems most people always see it the other way around.

I’m weird like that. 😀

Last edited:

Yes I agree with the last part.

Does Ajani even get a series early season?

Does Ajani even get a series early season?
That’s what the coaches are paid the big bucks to figure out. I have no guesses or opinions on that.

Like most fans, I lack 99.9% of the requisite information necessary to even form a meaningful opinion on the subject.

Yeah right. Problem was the Receivers. GW passes were off target (again) and it’s their fault for not catching it.
Greg admitted WR spot was a problem for 2023 and he wanted 2 or 3 more from the portal.

"In a Thursday appearance on the Big Ten Network, Schiano hinted that his team is likely to hit the transfer portal again to add depth at the wide receiver position..“We might do a little bit in the portal – we have one already – may end up getting another one or two."

2923: "The pass catching group might be one of the biggest question marks for the Scarlet Knights."

"Rutgers struggled to push the ball down the field last season. It was one of the worst passing attacks in the nation, despite having some capable receivers on the outside. That is being shown by players getting a chance at the NFL level. The problem now is, there is a very raw and inexperienced receiver room for the Scarlet Knights for 2023...Rutgers averaged 153.9 passing yards per game last season, which was dead last in the Big Ten. "

Yes so everyone involved knew WR core was a bunch of ham-n-eggers not really up to B1G peers
RU wasn't a good passing team for years.
Vedrals best year was 2022 with - wait for it - a 61.5% completion rate.
He must have been great right?
1800 yds and 7 TDs with 7 INTs. - 2 rushing TD for 9 total

Wimsatt's had 20 TDs total and 1735 yds with 9 INTs for 2023

Wimsatt's 47.8 completion rate was practically identical to Vedral's production except Wim had worse receivers than Vedral - and an extra 11 TDs rushing.

Fact is RU is not a great passing team for a long time - it didn't start with Wimsatt. But he got 11 more TDs than Vedral when starting and RU won more games. TDs > completion percentage. Fact is GW is an excellent runner - even on sneaks. Of course he had help from better OL and coaching.

Reactions: mildone
Greg admitted WR spot was a problem for 2023 and he wanted 2 or 3 more from the portal.

"In a Thursday appearance on the Big Ten Network, Schiano hinted that his team is likely to hit the transfer portal again to add depth at the wide receiver position..“We might do a little bit in the portal – we have one already – may end up getting another one or two."

2923: "The pass catching group might be one of the biggest question marks for the Scarlet Knights."

"Rutgers struggled to push the ball down the field last season. It was one of the worst passing attacks in the nation, despite having some capable receivers on the outside. That is being shown by players getting a chance at the NFL level. The problem now is, there is a very raw and inexperienced receiver room for the Scarlet Knights for 2023...Rutgers averaged 153.9 passing yards per game last season, which was dead last in the Big Ten. "

Yes so everyone involved knew WR core was a bunch of ham-n-eggers not really up to B1G peers
RU wasn't a good passing team for years.
Vedrals best year was 2022 with - wait for it - a 61.5% completion rate.
He must have been great right?
1800 yds and 7 TDs with 7 INTs. - 2 rushing TD for 9 total

Wimsatt's had 20 TDs total and 1735 yds with 9 INTs for 2023

Wimsatt's 47.8 completion rate was practically identical to Vedral's production except Wim had worse receivers than Vedral - and an extra 11 TDs rushing.

Fact is RU is not a great passing team for a long time - it didn't start with Wimsatt. But he got 11 more TDs than Vedral when starting and RU won more games. TDs > completion percentage. Fact is GW is an excellent runner - even on sneaks. Of course he had help from better OL and coaching.
Good post.

Reactions: ashokan
My writing is fine … FWIW: it’s not writing…it’s you ‘re inability to grasp the concept. You needed to feel vindication for oddly some reason. You did claim you were not going to continue the discussion but guess what? You did…you wanted to get the last gasp in.

Last edited:
Response to RUBOB's last post---- Well first of all you're writing is very hard to follow. I get the notion that you & others were training young players to hit down on the ball in the 80's & 90's. All well & good. My point in our original exchange was that no pros or college guys hit down on the ball today. The technique is long gone[ if you want to point to someone who hits down on the ball & can show it, I'll readily acknowledge it], Both our points can be true.
Now as far as me being to obtuse to understand the concept, I've forgotten more about baseball than you'll ever know Sonny. If you want to throw insults around I'll have to say that you are clearly one of those guys who has to have the last word--right, wrong or in the middle. A real one way Louie rock head.
I'm not going to waste any more time on you. You can keep pounding the key board to your hearts content.
No insult … just YOUR normal stupidity. Actually, I watch very little MLB so the point of naming somebody is not relevant. If a pitch is waist / belt high I would bet a player’s swing may actually reflect that “ hitting down “ technique which you now say is not taught. I explained quite succinctly this was how ( today) my son was teaching his daughter age 7 1/2 to keep her head on the ball from the batting machine and pitchers hand. The best is you saying” throwing insults”. Hey pops I have news for you … I’m not the one who came crawling back… you did.

I love when you said “ I’ve forgotten more…” Yes you have forgotten … but remember … you came back to post loudmouth.

Like I said, Ajani is for real, and it MIGHT be a case where he was actually #2, which made Gavin’s decision easier. It’s clear Ajani is the QB in waiting. I’m good with that.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT