ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Paul - Is there any chance…

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
… he and Pike had a heart to heart, and they decided that he would mostly play “off ball” next season, thereby giving Pike the green light to bring in a starting PG from the portal?

I keep seeing people say on the boards that “Paul must be leaving, why else would Pike be targeting so many high level PGs who would start?”

But maybe Paul and Pike have already worked this out? I have no knowledge here, just asking the question.

Certainly possible. He can still make plays and create without having to bring the ball up the court and have to handle the ball constantly. Paul might be more than open to it. Adding a true PG takes a lot of burden off Paul to create constantly every possession

The question then is - what's Mulcahys value off ball?

Is he a shooting or scoring threat?
Compared to what Gavin/Cam are expected to be?
Will his defense keep him on the court?
Compared to what Mag is expected to bring?

If he's moving to a new position then he needs to justify playing that position.

… he and Pike had a heart to heart, and they decided that he would mostly play “off ball” next season, thereby giving Pike the green light to bring in a starting PG from the portal?

I keep seeing people say on the boards that “Paul must be leaving, why else would Pike be targeting so many high level PGs who would start?”

But maybe Paul and Pike have already worked this out? I have no knowledge here, just asking the question.

Legit possible …..

Additional clue….we are not active looking for any forwards

We've needed a legit D-1 PG for a couple of decades. We've had very good combo guards like Corey Sanders, Geo, Jacob Young, and Myles Mack, and Simpson looks very promising as a combo G. Gotta get a guy that can drive and dish along with being a scoring threat.

Just get healthy Paul.. in body and mind. I still think the other players on the team could have had more motion on offense giving Paul and outlet on his drives into eh lane rather than him getting swallowed by bigs with nowhere to go with the ball.

With a real penetrator or two next season, maybe it will be Paul fining the open spot on the arc for an easy pass for a three. Someone has to do it.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Teams adjusted once Paul proved he could consistently back down and bully smaller guards at will. Hopefully Paul becomes a really good catch and shoot trey shooter.
He's a career 36.4% 3 point shooter which is pretty good. He shot over that last year even with the injuries. Paul is a good spot up shooter. He just needs to be more aggressive and be ready to catch and shoot. Many times he just doesn't even try to catch in a shooting position

He's a career 36.4% 3 point shooter which is pretty good. He shot over that last year even with the injuries. Paul is a good spot up shooter. He just needs to be more aggressive and be ready to catch and shoot. Many times he just doesn't even try to catch in a shooting position
Yeah. Hopefully he can do that with increased volume. Coming out of high school his game was similar offensively to Ben Simmons so it is nice to see he can shoot it, unlike Ben who was literally 1 for 3 in college from trey.

They might have had that heart to heart and it may have been not only "we need you mostly off the ball" but also "depending on how the new guys look, I don't see you starting and we may only have 10-15 minutes a game for you".

I'd think he had a similar heart-to-heart with Hyatt with an even lower number of minutes. I don't think either will be back and yes I've read what others have written here this is my opinion given what we've seen and what I think about human behavior.

Reactions: RU84 and njxchange
They might have had that heart to heart and it may have been not only "we need you mostly off the ball" but also "depending on how the new guys look, I don't see you starting and we may only have 10-15 minutes a game for you".

I'd think he had a similar heart-to-heart with Hyatt with an even lower number of minutes. I don't think either will be back and yes I've read what others have written here this is my opinion given what we've seen and what I think about human behavior.
It sure doesn’t sound that way from Pike’s quotes in the articles on Paul. Sounds like he really wants him back.

It sure doesn’t sound that way from Pike’s quotes in the articles on Paul. Sounds like he really wants him back.
Oh, I left out a part:
"I don't see you starting and we may only have 10-15 minutes a game for you, but we'd love to have you back"

Reactions: njxchange
Oh, I left out a part:
"I don't see you starting and we may only have 10-15 minutes a game for you, but we'd love to have you back"
that's like the girlfriend you had for years then she says "this isnt working out. its not you, it's me. but I want to stay friends..." LOL then you see her hanging out with another dude, all happy, while you are sitting at end of the bench staring at them playing together.

yea... if I was in Paul's shoe... as much as I love Rutgers and want to be team player, i would want to go out my career playing position as I always have... who knows, maybe playing that position one more time where I did show glimpse of brilliance, I can finally put it all together?

• Love
Reactions: MiloTalon13
The question then is - what's Mulcahys value off ball?

Is he a shooting or scoring threat?
Compared to what Gavin/Cam are expected to be?
Will his defense keep him on the court?
Compared to what Mag is expected to bring?

If he's moving to a new position then he needs to justify playing that position.
I am in the camp Paul is a 1 or nothing on a team that is decent with depth.

He isn’t a good defender, he can’t beat people off the dribble, and not a good shooter.

His value is getting the ball to others and his size as a point guard.

I also think the stretches were 99% of fans wanted him as the point guard must be in there somewhere.

A lot of players brought the ball up for RU this year.

Reactions: MiloTalon13

Nope.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Caleb is the only player in the rotation not returning (so far).
We have 3 FR coming in - 1 likely starter, and 1 rotation player/starter depending on Mag's recover
The staff is after multiple players in the portal at PG and wings

Last year, RHJ and Geo left
We had 3 FR coming in - all the underrecruited but Pike knows best types
The staff got one player from the portal

In other words, I find your "nope" unconvincing.

Your-girlfriend-says-she-loves-you-but-acts-distant-heres-why-768x432.png

No doubt. But the notion that Paul must bring the ball up or be the point is new.
Right now the only real options on our roster are Paul and Cam, and neither really helps our offense in the role. Paul is not a natural ballhandler and is too slow and deliberate bring the ball up so he doesn’t get picked, and ends up running too much time off the clock, and as a mentione before, having Cam bring the ball up takes him out of position as a shooter, where we need him most. Derek is a poor ballhandler and turns the ball over way too much under pressure. This is why we need someone like Noah Fernandes.

Right now the only real options on our roster are Paul and Cam, and neither really helps our offense in the role. Paul is not a natural ballhandler and is too slow and deliberate bring the ball up so he doesn’t get picked, and ends up running too much time off the clock, and as a mentione before, having Cam bring the ball up takes him out of position as a shooter, where we need him most. Derek is a poor ballhandler and turns the ball over way too much under pressure. This is why we need someone like Noah Fernandes.
Agree with everything you said except that "Derek is a poor ballhandler and turns the ball over way too much under pressure." The facts just don't support you. Derek averaged .9 turnovers and 20 min per game. Paul by comparison averaged 2 TO's and 32 min per game. If you extrapolated Derek to Paul's minutes he would have only 1.4 TO's per game. The visual of Paul vs Minnesota in the waning minutes (a four year senior starter) panicking when he saw defenders approaching and throwing away a pass that got picked off leading to the game winning shot is still seared in my brain.

Reactions: Pdabs and satnom
I get people are obviously going to look at how Paul played the last part of the season. But this is still a guy who scored 15 points in the 2nd half to lead us to a win @ MSG and scored 9 points in the final 5:30 to win @ the #1 ranked team in the country. I still want Paul back and for him to play significant minutes.

I get people are obviously going to look at how Paul played the last part of the season. But this is still a guy who scored 15 points in the 2nd half to lead us to a win @ MSG and scored 9 points in the final 5:30 to win @ the #1 ranked team in the country. I still want Paul back and for him to play significant minutes.
Paul is a high character person who has been a great contributor to the program and has had some really good games, but if you're going to call out the folks picking his last 8 games of the season, you also can't cherry pick his few highlights. He has been a nice bridge from early in Pike's build to where we are now. However, if the program is to keep growing and evolving into a top tier Big 10 performer and regularly have a good chance of getting into the NCAA tournament, the talent needs to keep evolving as well. You just can't carry multiple 30-35 minute players who average less than 10 PPG unless they're a Caleb McConnell type all world defender or 7 ft rebounder/shot blocker.

Paul is a high character person who has been a great contributor to the program and has had some really good games, but if you're going to call out the folks picking his last 8 games of the season, you also can't cherry pick his few highlights. He has been a nice bridge from early in Pike's build to where we are now. However, if the program is to keep growing and evolving into a top tier Big 10 performer and regularly have a good chance of getting into the NCAA tournament, the talent needs to keep evolving as well. You just can't carry multiple 30-35 minute players who average less than 10 PPG unless they're a Caleb McConnell type all world defender or 7 ft rebounder/shot blocker.
How about guys who lead the big ten in assists?

that's like the girlfriend you had for years then she says "this isnt working out. its not you, it's me. but I want to stay friends..." LOL then you see her hanging out with another dude, all happy, while you are sitting at end of the bench staring at them playing together.

yea... if I was in Paul's shoe... as much as I love Rutgers and want to be team player, i would want to go out my career playing position as I always have... who knows, maybe playing that position one more time where I did show glimpse of brilliance, I can finally put it all together?
You have the same opinion about Brian Leonard switching from RB to FB to make room for Ray Rice?

You have the same opinion about Brian Leonard switching from RB to FB to make room for Ray Rice?
Brian also made it NFL as FB, where it was his natural fit. Brian was going to be a Starting FB and be involved as every down back.

Simpson is no Ray Rice................

Agree with everything you said except that "Derek is a poor ballhandler and turns the ball over way too much under pressure." The facts just don't support you. Derek averaged .9 turnovers and 20 min per game. Paul by comparison averaged 2 TO's and 32 min per game. If you extrapolated Derek to Paul's minutes he would have only 1.4 TO's per game. The visual of Paul vs Minnesota in the waning minutes (a four year senior starter) panicking when he saw defenders approaching and throwing away a pass that got picked off leading to the game winning shot is still seared in my brain.
Simpson's biggest ball-handling problem is that when he gets pressured, he puts his head down and goes to the hoop to get a shot, he rarely draws two and kicks for a 3 or dishes to bigs and he finishes at a low percentage in those situations.

Brian also made it NFL as FB, where it was his natural fit. Brian was going to be a Starting FB and be involved as every down back.

Simpson is no Ray Rice................
We're actively looking for a portal PG. Doesn't have to be Simpson.

Mulcahy's offense lends itself much more as a point forward at the next level than a point guard, as he likes to play back to the basket in the paint and catch and shoot on the perimeter. But we really haven't had a true point guard for him to hand the reins to and slide over to that forward spot.

Reactions: RUER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT