ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Luis Question for Richie

aplus29

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2003
Randolph
any idea why Rutgers gave a scholarship to Aidan Terry and didn’t fill that schollie with RJ Luis in 2022-3?

He visited went to Umass and is now a force for the Johnnie’s. Ideal size and a wing that can shoot straight.

Huge miss by Pike.

Reactions: satnom
any idea why Rutgers gave a scholarship to Aidan Terry and didn’t fill that schollie with RJ Luis in 2022-3?

He visited went to Umass and is now a force for the Johnnie’s. Ideal size and a wing that can shoot straight.

Huge miss by Pike.
Richie might have more accurate information, but it may not have been Pike’s choice.. RJ Luis visited Rutgers in March 2022 and received an offer from RU at the time. Some sources have suggested that he didn’t want to wait until Ron, Caleb, and Jaden Jones decided whether to remain in the NBA draft or to return to school, and until things were settled on the Rutgers roster, and he announced his college decision in May, choosing UMass.

And I guess St. John’s gave him the NIL offer he was looking for, since he changed his mind on his pending UMass deal..

RJ Luis enters transfer portal after agreeing to nil deal

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Richie might have more accurate information, but it may not have been Pike’s choice.. RJ Luis visited Rutgers in March 2022 and received an offer from RU at the time. Some sources have suggested that he didn’t want to wait until Ron, Caleb, and Jaden Jones decided whether to remain in the NBA draft or to return to school, and until things were settled on the Rutgers roster, and he announced his college decision in May, choosing UMass.

And I guess St. John’s gave him the NIL offer he was looking for, since he changed his mind on his pending UMass deal..

RJ Luis enters transfer portal after agreeing to nil deal
“I’ve got a saying that I use with the players a lot, ‘the season reveals the truth.’ The offseason is phony. You find out the truth in the season. Players really find out about each other, players find out about me, I find out about players. Because now you’re together six days a week and you’re together through adversity, good times, bad times.”

Love this quote.

Huge miss by Pike.
He wanted to maintain the “ loyalty” to this player. Admirable sure… smart? Not so much so.

That is his major flaw which has bit him in the butt several times now. Loyalty sure … how about keeping that to a minimum going forward.

Reactions: eedouble

Huge miss by Pike.
You realize the recruit has a big say in where they go. Framing it as you did is very disingenuous.

Reactions: PJVegas
You think a talented 4 star is choosing umass over Rutgers? it ain’t 1991
You're assuming there was mutual interest after the initial offer. Don't go star chasing without knowing the situation.

Would he have landed Harper and Bailey if he didn’t have a sterling reputation for loyalty?
You confuse one with the other. Loyalty has burned him twice Mulcahy and Spencer… then several of this current team…Mag is a prime example.

You confuse one with the other. Loyalty has burned him twice Mulcahy and Spencer… then several of this current team…Mag is a prime example.
A big part of Pike’s success has been character. Character has enabled him to attract and retain great coaches. Character has enabled him to attract and motivate players. His character and the team culture he built is why we have the number two recruiting class coming in. It’s not superior NIL dollars or our endlessly positive fan base that brought these kids in.

So yes, I am linking these two things. But I don’t think I’m confused.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
That is his major flaw which has bit him in the butt several times now. Loyalty sure … how about keeping that to a minimum going forward.
Read what Ace Bailey said about Pike-- a key reason he chose Ru was Pike's character and decency towards players. I 'm sure Harper thinks likewise. Keep it up coach Pike some fans know shyt.

A big part of Pike’s success has been character. Character has enabled him to attract and retain great coaches. Character has enabled him to attract and motivate players. His character and the team culture he built is why we have the number two recruiting class coming in. It’s not superior NIL dollars or our endlessly positive fan base that brought these kids in.

So yes, I am linking these two things. But I don’t think I’m confused.
Way more important are the things Rutgers offers 2024and beyond that’s fringe benefits… loyalty is great but that only goes so far. Young players don’t necessarily remember those qualities after time elapses . There are many HC’s who are praised by their players for their demeanor. How many “kids” will outright criticize their coach about loyalty. Sure he’s loyal but we need to turn it around THIS year and next.

Way more important are the things Rutgers offers 2024and beyond that’s fringe benefits… loyalty is great but that only goes so far. Young players don’t necessarily remember those qualities after time elapses . There are many HC’s who are praised by their players for their demeanor. How many “kids” will outright criticize their coach about loyalty. Sure he’s loyal but we need to turn it around THIS year and next.
With few resources, Pike brought us from one of the worst teams in country to now having the #2 recruiting class in the country. Some fans seem shocked that Pike can't engineer a simple straight shot to the top, at a place that has been a punchline and a coaching graveyard. First sign of trouble some people think Pike needs to abandon his coaching philosophy and personal character.

Whatever he's been doing to get us here he needs to keep doing. Minor tweaks, lessons learned, sure.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
With few resources, Pike brought us from one of the worst teams in country to now having the #2 recruiting class in the country. Some fans seem shocked that Pike can't engineer a simple straight shot to the top, at a place that has been a punchline and a coaching graveyard. First sign of trouble some people think Pike needs to abandon his coaching philosophy and personal character.

Whatever he's been doing to get us here he needs to keep doing. Minor tweaks, lessons learned, sure.
Stop … Pikiell understands he needs to now separate loyalty from reality with NIL involved. This sounds like the “ everyone gets a trophy philosophy” from the past 35 years . Having had to deal with that stupidity still makes me realize it is part of the idiocy we see everyday. Hard work, dedication , talent in life and on the field. If you give loyalty you should expect to return in kind. Sadly , that is not how it went for Rutgers and coach.

Stop … Pikiell understands he needs to now separate loyalty from reality with NIL involved. This sounds like the “ everyone gets a trophy philosophy” from the past 35 years . Having had to deal with that stupidity still makes me realize it is part of the idiocy we see everyday. Hard work, dedication , talent in life and on the field. If you give loyalty you should expect to return in kind. Sadly , that is not how it went for Rutgers and coach.
I don't know what point you are trying to make.

Then you ‘re not understanding of what loyalty vs. reality is in sports 2024 and beyond. He had loyalty because it was early pre NIL … that is no longer the determining factor in college athletics D1 - P5 levels. You do understand Pikiell was not afforded this loyalty ( some claim) by several players who certainly could have changed our record this season. That’s the point…he ‘s been highly loyal to DS… does he want him to stay? There were a high number of posters here who want him gone. He’s been loyal to Woolfolk does he stay? Many are hoping he leaves… Same with Ogbole. If they stay does that satisfy the loyalty factor of coach Pikiell. If they all leave is that Pikiel being being disloyal to the player and family?

Then you ‘re not understanding of what loyalty vs. reality is in sports 2024 and beyond. He had loyalty because it was early pre NIL … that is no longer the determining factor in college athletics D1 - P5 levels. You do understand Pikiell was not afforded this loyalty ( some claim) by several players who certainly could have changed our record this season. That’s the point…he ‘s been highly loyal to DS… does he want him to stay? There were a high number of posters here who want him gone. He’s been loyal to Woolfolk does he stay? Many are hoping he leaves… Same with Ogbole. If they stay does that satisfy the loyalty factor of coach Pikiell. If they all leave is that Pikiel being being disloyal to the player and family?
Pikiell didn't get burned by being "loyal" he got burned because two of his players decided to transfer very late in the game.

With respect to the two bolded, what do you mean? You think Pike was being "loyal" (too "loyal"?) by not running those players off after their freshman seasons?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT