ADVERTISEMENT

RU/OREGON ST. & RU/UVU

wngarbarini

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 4, 2006
Oregon State is a top 20 team and has been ranked as high as 15 in some spots so they pose a serious challenge for us. The way I see it, we do not match up all that well with them. They are very strong at 125, 197 and 285 so that does not bode well for us. Bresser at 125 beat Lambert of Nebraska and lost 3-2 to Peters of No Iowa. Thomas at 165 is ranked 16 and only lost to Wilson of Nebraska 9-6. Dhesi at 286 clubbed Cabell of NI 11-5 and Jensen of Nebraska 13-7. He redshirted last year but was an NCAA qualifier as a fresman two years ago. Supposedly he is going to be the Canadian Olympian. They lost to Nebraska 25-6 but beat No Iowa 23-12 and West Virginia 25-6. Their backup 125 pounder Rios beat Moisey of WVU 3-2 and Moisey was 2nd in the NCAAs last year. Talk about an abundance of riches!

Some of our kids have wrestled with their opponents for a week out in Oregon this summer, including McCabe, Dippery, Lewis and Perrotti so that should be somewhat of of help. Flying 6 hours out there and making weight is tough.

125 McCabe vs Ron Bresser
133 Giraldo vs Joey Palmer (lost 3-2 to Montoya of Nebraska)
141 Ashnault vs Jack Hathaway (lost 4-0 to Abindin of Neb)
149 Dippery vs Joey Delgado (lost 9-6 to a tough Sueflohn of Neb)
157 Lewis vs Abraham Rodriguez (beat Steiert of NI 8-5)
165 Perrotti vs Seth Thomas (ranked kid)
174 Backukas or Parfumi vs Tyler Chay (lost to Lux UNI 5-2)
184 Gravina vs Corey Griego (lost to Dudley of Neb 8-4)
197 Hrymack vs Cody Crawford (pinned UNI kid)
285 Smith vs Amerveer Dhesi (ranked #6 or 7 in country)

Bill I couldn't agree more.
Giraldo will have to wrestle is butt off to win
Ashnault will major Hathaway
Dippery and Lewis in my mind wont be the favorite.
Perotti wins a dec
Bak win dec
Gravina is the underdog
we will need some upsets for sure. but if we can pull it off it would be a hell of a road trip.

WNG: They still serve food on the airlines? Thanks for a great update. $$$$

WNG- nice preview. Oregon State 125lber is the same kid...Ronnie Bresser and Rios are the same person. It has been driving stats and boxscores crazy for the last two seasons. So no matter what name McCabe wrestles will be tuff...Lol

Reactions: obrats
Bill, Thanks for the preview. A few things. There is no Rios. That was Bresser that beat Moisey. He beat Moisey last year as well and is very tough but streaky, just like Moisey. I agree that OSU is tough and that we have to win toss ups but I like our chances. OSU has a great coaching staff but because of their location they don't face the same competition week in week out. When you look at their wrestlers win totals you'll see inflated numbers. Plus they have a way easier path to the NCAA's. They looked good against UNI but so did we. My prediction below is certainly optimistic but very doable. Need to win the close ones and not give up bonus points where we are weaker.

125 McCabe vs Ron Bresser- If he is on Bresser wins and it can't be a major here. 3-0 OSU

133 Giraldo vs Joey Palmer (lost 3-2 to Montoya of Nebraska)- Giraldo is very capable and can take this kid. They both lost to Alber. The difference will be if Giraldo looks as good on his feet as he did against Brewer. 3-3 Tie

141 Ashnault vs Jack Hathaway (lost 4-0 to Abindin of Neb). Ash has wrestled Hathaway before in Freestyle. The kid is pretty stingy but went 0-3 at the NE Duals. Hoping for a major or tech here. 8-3 RU

149 Dippery vs Joey Delgado (lost 9-6 to a tough Sueflohn of Neb). Delgado is tough but not unbeatable. If Tyson's head is straight he can hang with him and keep it close. 8-6 RU

157 Lewis vs Abraham Rodriguez (beat Steiert of NI 8-5). Pivotal match here. Rodriguez is very tough and, like Phil B. beats the guys he's supposed to but also like Phil loses tight matches to the ranked guys. His only really good win last year was against Mastriani. I think Richie wins this one close. 11-6 RU

165 Perrotti vs Seth Thomas (ranked kid). Thomas is good but once again the lack of a really tough schedule props his record/ranking up here. His best win last year was Glass, he also lost to him twice. Match is Perrotti's to lose. 14-6 RU

174 Bakuckas vs Tyler Chay (lost to Lux UNI 5-2). We should win here. Chay is solid, Bakuckas is better. 17-6 RU

184 Gravina vs Corey Griego (lost to Dudley of Neb 8-4). True toss up here. We win this and we win the dual. Greg is young and good but unproven. Gravina grinds us out a win here. 20-6 RU

197 Hrymack vs Cody Crawford (pinned UNI kid). Crawford is good. 32 wins last year and went 2-2 at NCAA's. Don't see Hrymack winning here but he has to keep it to a decision, especially if some earlier matches go the other way. I have a weird feeling here. I think he either pins the kid or gets majored. 20-10 RU

285 Smith vs Amerveer Dhesi (ranked #6 or 7 in country). Smith loses by decision. 20-13 RU

Would love to make the 90 minute drive down to Corvallis from Portland to cheer on the Scarlet Knight grapplers but I won't be able to make it. Not being physically close to NB has prevented me from watching RU up close and personal and the Beavs have been a fun program to follow as a fill in. Should be a great match but I look for RU to pull this out. Their biggest obstacle may be the cross country trek.

I think OSU is favored at 125, 184, 197 and 285. I think the 2 toss ups are 133 and 149. We need to win at least 1 and possibly both. If we lose both I don't think we win. Palmer and Delgado are very tough. Let's hope for the best! Go Knights.

Not giving up any bonus points at 125, 184 and 197 is key. Hoping Smith can pull out a win here, but will be a tough one.

http://takedownwrestle.com/wrestling-news/college/rutgers-vs-oregon-state-dual-of-the-we

ek/

This is kind of a sneak good dual about to go down on the west coast this weekend, as the up-and-coming Rutgers head out to face returning Pac-12 champion Oregon State in a top 20 dual matchup.

#17 Oregon State – #18 Oregon State lineup comparison

125: #10 Ronnie Rios vs Sean McCabe
133: Joey Palmer vs Anthony Giraldo
141: Jack Hathaway vs #3 Anthony Ashnault
149: Joey Delgado vs Tyson Dippery
157: Abraham Rodriguez vs Richie Lewis
165: #12 Seth Thomas vs #9 Anthony Perrotti
174: Tyler Chay vs Phillip Bakuckas
184: Corey Griego vs Nicholas Gravina
197: #15 Cody Crawford vs Hayden Hrymack
285: #5 Amarveer Dhesi vs #7 Billy Smith

Matches favored: Oregon State – 3, Rutgers – 3.

125: Last season Rios impressed many with his breakout season going 32-6 with wins over Tim Lambert (Nebraska), Zeke Moisey (West Virginia), and Tyler Cox (Wyoming). This year Rios already has another win over Moisey and should be a solid favorite over McCabe. The only top ten wrestler McCabe faced ended in a 13-5 major decision for Dylan Peters (UNI) so bonus will be on the table for Rios.

133: While there is no clear favorite based on rankings, Giraldo was recently ranked in the top 20, but fell out due to a loss to Josh Alber (UNI). There was a lot of buzz around Giraldo leading up to the season, and while he may have not totally “arrived” I think he takes this one.

141: This should be a match for the Rutgers with Ashnault coming in a top three wrestler vs the sophomore Jack Hathaway. Hathaway was solid in his freshman season winning 27 matches as well as a Pac conference title, but Ashnault should prevail here

149: Neither wrestler particularly standout as a favorite at this weight, though both are making a move to a new weight this season. Dippery is a former 141 coming up after a redshirt season and Delgado is coming down after going 14-6 as a sophomore. This is a pivotal match both teams will need to win the dual.

157: Neither wrestler enters this contest ranked though Lewis is a 2015 JUCO All-American and is off to a 5-0 start to the season. While I considered this a tossup above, given what we have seen in the very early stages of this season, I have to say the edge in this matchup goes to the Rutgers wrestler.

165: This is a key matchup in the dual which will favor Perrotti of Rutgers, but Thomas is a solid middle of the pack guy at this weight class. Perrotti may still be working his way into this this weight – as evidence by his 6-4 loss to Oklahoma’s Clark Glass, another middle of the pack guy at this weight. This is a potential swing match in the dual.

174: This is another toss up weight where we have two wrestlers who currently sit outside the top 20 of rankings and are in that fringe NCAA qualifier mix. Resumes alone make it hard to pick either Chay or Bakuckas, though I would lean toward Bakuckas of Rutgers based on the experience edge of starting and more (quantity) wins under his belt.

184: Here we have a matchup where again there are two wrestlers who don’t have an extensive resume of wins to be able to pick a clear favorite over the other. On the one hand Griego went 15-2 last season and this past weekend was able to pick up a 7-3 win over Cody Caldwell (UNI). Gravina is coming up from 165 where he wrestled as a freshman, and so far he is off to a 4-1 start at the weight. I like what I have seen in the five match sample of Gravina, with his wins over Cadlwell and Joel Dixon (Oklahoma).

197: In order for Oregon State to win this dual the Beavers will be leaning heavily on the fact they are favored in Crawford’s matchup with Hrymack. Crawford’s resume is definitely more polished with him getting wins over Timmy McCall (Wisconsin) and Alex Polizzi (Northwester) in St. Louis at NCAAs, whereas Hrymack is coming off a 13-12 season with no real significant wins.

285: Dhesi missed last season with a knee injury, but he already has earned his way to a top five wrestler in this week’s rankings. Dhesi and Smith have one common opponent on the season – UNI’s Blaize Cabell – and while Smith lost 9-3 to Cabell, Dhesi was able to win 11-5. The transitive property doesn’t always apply in wrestling, but Dhesi handling Cabell is a big win and despite being so close in the rankings, I think the Oregon State wrestler enters a favorite as opposed to a tossup.

Others Duals to Watch:

#7 Lehigh vs Pittsburgh

Highlight mathcups: Dom Forys (Pitt) vs #15 Mason Beckman (L) has the making of a good match at 133. Forys is still working on establishing himself at 133 and Beckman is in a bit of a slump. Another Pitt wrestler looking to establish himself at a new weight will be Mike Racciato vs #8 Randy Cruz at 141. 174 on up will most likely prove to be too much for Pitt to handle, though #16 Max Wessell (L) and #19 Ryan Solomon (Pitt) are only separated by three spots in the rankings.

#16 Oklahoma vs #4 Michigan

Highlight matchups: #1 Cody Brewer (OK) vs #6 Rossi Bruno (Mich) at 133 is a matchup between two returning All-Americans. At 285 #8 Ross Larson (OK) only lost 2-0 to #3 ranked Adam Coon (Mich) the last time they met. Oklahoma’s #8 Clark Glass (165) and #14 Matt Reed (174) could give the Sooners some much needed wins over #17 Garrett Sutton and #19 Davonte Mahomes if they are going to keep the upset bid alive.

What Time does the match start?
I think i saw 2 PM EST some place
Thanks for any info

I don't know. Hopefully free without an account, but if free with an account, usually only takes a minute to create a user name (usually email) and password, just like on BTN2GO. I'll be watching RU football on the TV and hopefully RU Wrestling on computer or IPad at same time. Very productive Saturday afternoon, lol. Tomorrow, getting up the leaves lol.

Will the live stream be free or do we have to subscribe to anything?

Reactions: KidDagger
I will be a sponsor for my grandson for his confirmation at 2 pm. Family first so I told Scott to tell the kids to win one for Mr. G

Reactions: obrats
I will be a sponsor for my grandson for his confirmation at 2 pm. Family first so I told Scott to tell the kids to win one for Mr. G

Congrats to your grandson! I feel like before I blink, my kids will be taking their first communion.

I have to attend a 5th birthday party so I'll be following this one via twitter.

Yea, not optimum friendly. Anyone willing to share their user name and pw?

Looks like it's free. I just clicked on the screen and it connected. Watching Rutgers warm up now.

133: Anthony Giraldo dominates and wins a 12-2 major with more than three minutes of RT. No. 15 #RUWR leads Oregon St., 4-3.

Reactions: Leonard23
141: No. 3 Anthony Ashnault (#RUWR) defeats Jack Hathaway (Oregon St.) 4-0 with RT. No. 15 RU leads No. 18 Oregon State, 7-3.

Agreed Ash sleptwalked thru that bout until the last 30 secs and he's not strong enough to turn many kids

149 Pounds: Joey Delgado (Oregon St.) tops Tyson Dippery (#RUWR), 5-2. No. 15 #RUWR still leads No. 18 Oregon St., 7-6.

157 Pounds: Richie Lewis (#RUWR) remains undefeated (6-0) after an 11-2 major vs. Abraham Rodriguez (Oregon St.). RU leads, 10-6.

Is this ref a pee wee ref? Perrotti seemed to have at least a 4 count on backs a couple times & didn't get it.

Amazing how often Perrotti can go from great position to awful position in the blink of an eye.

165 Pounds: No. 9 Perrotti (#RUWR) dominates the 3rd to win 10-3 over No. 12 Thomas (Oregon St.). No. 15 RU leads No. 18 Oregon St, 14-6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT