ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs BYU 3/22/21 Game thread

I’ve been around plenty this season. Nice try.
yep post often when things are bad, but do show up with a few messages when times are good.
It's the messages when you're around and the reason you show up that's why you're called out
Think about that :chairshot:

CVS for some reason is not a favorite with refs. 3rd Quarter BYU fouled like crazy and 4th Quarter miraculously nothing. I was screaming at TV.

Both teams had 18 fouls. Both teams shot 23 Foul shots. Rutgers was 17 of 23. BYU was 20 of 23.

Overall both teams shot well today. to me, the difference was Rutgers letting them go 9 of 23 from 3. (we were 5 of 12) . You take out their 3's and they were 11 of 31. (35%) Defensively we didn't guard the outside line well enough.

Diamond took only 7 shots and made 5 of them.
Offensively we didn't take enough 3's and Diamond didn't shoot enough.

My reply refers to your statement; every single one of us w) or w/o) CVS, It's obvious that is not true. The group that shows up when we're down, flat out does not want us to get back to elite with CVS. I hope you are not in that category of negative only posters.

Simply not true. How dare you make assumptions as such.

Okay man. My bad. Losing today didn’t suck. This program is back. National title next year baby!!!

I understand why people make jokes about New Jersey. Jerks like you and some of the other bashers. Please share with us your coaching record of a D1 women's basketball team. Pretty sure CVS lamented for YEARS how facilities were a factor in recruiting. The new building is not even a year old, and CVS et al. pulled in a top-10 class. Critics harp on the fall the programme took but decline to acknowledge the return to yearly rankings.

Since Laney was an upperclass(wo)man, there have been ¿three? teams that had legitimate Sweet 16 potential at the end of the season--other teams looked great in February and fizzled out in March. UCONN took out RU in R2 in a year UCONN won the title; last year's team did not get a chance to play; and this year's team lost a close game with some loss of composure under pressure (not denying the disappointment and sadness for them).

There are always two teams on the floor. My guess is that both want to win. I am disappointed that RU will not advance. I wish they had kept it together a little better in the middle of the fourth quarter and won. All that typed, I am happy a non-P5 team from the mountainous west got a win. There is some good basketball played in these hills. Signing off on this thread.

yep post often when things are bad, but do show up with a few messages when times are good.
It's the messages when you're around and the reason you show up that's why you're called out
Think about that :chairshot:

You need a new hobby if I’m/this is your problem my friend.

I understand why people make jokes about New Jersey. Jerks like you and some of the other bashers. Please share with us your coaching record of a D1 women's basketball team. Pretty sure CVS lamented for YEARS how facilities were a factor in recruiting. The new building is not even a year old, and CVS et al. pulled in a top-10 class. Critics harp on the fall the programme took but decline to acknowledge the return to yearly rankings.

Since Laney was an upperclass(wo)man, there have been ¿three? teams that had legitimate Sweet 16 potential at the end of the season--other teams looked great in February and fizzled out in March. UCONN took out RU in R2 in a year UCONN won the title; last year's team did not get a chance to play; and this year's team lost a close game with some loss of composure under pressure (not denying the disappointment and sadness for them).

There are always two teams on the floor. My guess is that both want to win. I am disappointed that RU will not advance. I wish they had kept it together a little better in the middle of the fourth quarter and won. All that typed, I am happy a non-P5 team from the mountainous west got a win. There is some good basketball played in these hills. Signing off on this thread.

lol okay

Ripping them won't do anything - they're all bottom of the barrel, one or two steps up from volunteers. If they were better officials, they'd be working games that pay better. Any game between two roughly comparable teams can easily come down to a coin flip of which team benefited more from the 15-20 terrible calls.
Not like the reffing in the men's games this year have been 100% stellar this year at times either. I feel like overall the quality has just gone down. Too much anticipation and every ref feels the need to make their fair share of calls. Hence more calls. I'm thinking the NCAA ought to go back to just having TWO really good refs per game. Take the money and divide by 2 not 3.

Not like the reffing in the men's games this year have been 100% stellar this year at times either. I feel like overall the quality has just gone down. Too much anticipation and every ref feels the need to make their fair share of calls. Hence more calls. I'm thinking the NCAA ought to go back to just having TWO really good refs per game. Take the money and divide by 2 not 3.

Oh, it certainly hasn't been. NCAAM officiating is often infuriating. But NCAAW officiating makes NCAAM officiating look stellar by comparison.... it's like getting a "bad" pizza in NYC vs. "bad" pizza in, say, Idaho.

Both teams had 18 fouls. Both teams shot 23 Foul shots. Rutgers was 17 of 23. BYU was 20 of 23.

Overall both teams shot well today. to me, the difference was Rutgers letting them go 9 of 23 from 3. (we were 5 of 12) . You take out their 3's and they were 11 of 31. (35%) Defensively we didn't guard the outside line well enough.

Diamond took only 7 shots and made 5 of them.
Offensively we didn't take enough 3's and Diamond didn't shoot enough.
My only problem with the refs that makes me feel they give CVS teams a tough way to go, is the phantom fouls, and the crucial times that they are called. The third foul on Mack is one example. A second would be the call on Mael 's 3-pt shot deflection at the end of the game. That's just two examples out of many .......and look how BIG of an impact those two had on the games outcome.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
You need a new hobby if I’m/this is your problem my friend.
Maybe the problem is you're getting upset over a little constructive criticism.
So, my friend, try to look at the replies you receive, from me and some other RU WBB fans, after one of your bashes as friendly advice in an effort to help you straighten up your act

WNBA refs are not much better, and many of them are also NCAA refs as well.
You're probably right. I've watched several WNBA games and I thought the officiating though not great was much better than at the collegiate level.

BYU had no business being able to come back down 12, but with the help of some very friendly "touch fouls" that had the pony tail girls shooting FT's.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Guess Arkansas needs a new coach. The game must have passed him by.

Of course, I'm just being facetious. The point is, you have to make plays to win at this time of year. We didn't have enough playmakers today. Gotta have scoring at this time of year and we could have used an extra bucket-getter or two today.

Do you ever watch the team and coaches in time outs? Tim E does most of the coaching and talking. Five years ago that would never happen with CVS!

Reactions: richthedentist
Check out Belmont- Gonzaga highlights (Destinee Wells). Watching her highlights felt like I was watching what Diamond was capable of doing today for us.

Guess Gonzaga needs a new coach. The game has passed their staff by.
Just being facetious again.

Oh, good Lord, I don't know why I read these threads:

- 1984 gave a good presentation above about the number of fouls and such. I did not think Rutgers lost because of fouls per se, it would have helped if AG had made more of her foul shots. I do agree that BYU did a good job of drawing them.

- Just an odd opinion, but it seemed to me that at times Rutgers gets very 1 on 1, particularly with Guirantes. Other times, their offense looked decent.

- Those griping about Rutgers offense in general and 3 point shooting (at least a couple in the thread) I don't really think this is the year that I would make those complaints.

- I do think Tim is doing more of the coaching, under CVS's guidance. That's not a bad thing, I have watched numerous other teams over the years where an Assistant / Associate plays a major role in the coaching,

- BYU is a very well coached team, went to the Sweet 16 a number of years ago from the same seeding point. They should not have beaten Rutgers - and it was Rutgers "collapse" late that allowed them to win - but they were always going to present some real competition. And their wide open 3's.

- and finally, I quite frankly do not know if Vivian could take a team to the final four; not so much that the game has passed her by, but because for a number of years recruiting wasn't what it was and WBB was favoring less of a dependence on defense. But this year's team seemed to have better offense, Diamond is a gem produced by recruiting, and all things being equal I will let Rutgers make their own decision about future coaching. As someone indicated, if RU has any hope of continued success in WBB they will need deep pockets to get a quality coach.

Reactions: Esipos1

- 1984 gave a good presentation above about the number of fouls and such. I did not think Rutgers lost because of fouls per se, it would have helped if AG had made more of her foul shots. I do agree that BYU did a good job of drawing them.

- Just an odd opinion, but it seemed to me that at times Rutgers gets very 1 on 1, particularly with Guirantes. Other times, their offense looked decent.

- Those griping about Rutgers offense in general and 3 point shooting (at least a couple in the thread) I don't really think this is the year that I would make those complaints.

- I do think Tim is doing more of the coaching, under CVS's guidance. That's not a bad thing, I have watched numerous other teams over the years where an Assistant / Associate plays a major role in the coaching,

- BYU is a very well coached team, went to the Sweet 16 a number of years ago from the same seeding point. They should not have beaten Rutgers - and it was Rutgers "collapse" late that allowed them to win - but they were always going to present some real competition. And their wide open 3's.

- and finally, I quite frankly do not know if Vivian could take a team to the final four; not so much that the game has passed her by, but because for a number of years recruiting wasn't what it was and WBB was favoring less of a dependence on defense. But this year's team seemed to have better offense, Diamond is a gem produced by recruiting, and all things being equal I will let Rutgers make their own decision about future coaching. As someone indicated, if RU has any hope of continued success in WBB they will need deep pockets to get a quality coach.
For the record I suggested Rutgers should have shot MORE 3s lol. They were 5 of 12 . ( except that last one 1st half from the corner) .
3 point loss...1 little thing here or there..oh well.
I'm personally just disappointed because i really thought this team had all the parts to make a run. And I enjoyed the players as well. Very likeable group.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan

Agree with most of your points. I thought the turnovers cost us the game. Who would have thought that they would badly outscore us on "point-off-turnovers" and bench points. Todays result in that category is usually reversed in our favor.

As far as three pt shooting, we were not consistent enough down the stretch of the season. When we start out missing them, while the other team is hitting open threes and taking leads, Arella went into rescue mode. I just wish other players stepped up and hit their open looks on a more consistent basis. If that happened, we win the last two games we played.

CVS can get back to final four if she can keep the recruiting momentum of last year going. Remember, the elites are bringing in, the kind of class we celebrated last year or better, every year. I will judge the program on the development of the class from last year (last summer) and those to follow.

Last edited:
You folks mentioned her great nationally ranked recruiting classes. Wasn’t this years class ranked # 3 in the country and other than Diamond, who contributed or even saw the floor. Player development is my beef with the coaching staff.

You folks mentioned her great nationally ranked recruiting classes. Wasn’t this years class ranked # 3 in the country and other than Diamond, who contributed or even saw the floor. Player development is my beef with the coaching staff.
First of all, I don't think I've seen classes mentioned. We have been celebrating the frosh class(singular) that was rated tops in Big Ten and around #8 nationally. As I have stated before, there is a big difference between (top 10 and top 20 players ) versus others who fall somewhere in the top 100. You have Elite players and you have potentially elite. I gave several examples this time last year in older posts. We were talking Maori Davenport compared to an Aliyah Boston type frosh. Entry skill levels and Bball IQs were night and day different. Diamond is one of those Elites like Boston, Owusu, Bueckers, Clark(Iowa) who can come in and play right away at a high level.

Our other frosh will take more time to develop. Yes, I too get frustrated at the time it takes for our recruits to get up to speed. Hopefully, with this group, it will happen sooner than later. They have the potential to develop into a special group over the next couple of years. It doesn't happen overnight. We also could use an infusion of an Elite level player a little more regularly. You can't land a player of Diamond's caliber every six years and compete with the UConns, S Car, Md. and etc. who get one or two Elites every year.

First of all, I don't think I've seen classes mentioned. We have been celebrating the frosh class(singular) that was rated tops in Big Ten and around #8 nationally. As I have stated before, there is a big difference between (top 10 and top 20 players ) versus others who fall somewhere in the top 100. You have Elite players and you have potentially elite. I gave several examples this time last year in older posts. We were talking Maori Davenport compared to an Aliyah Boston type frosh. Entry skill levels and Bball IQs were night and day different. Diamond is one of those Elites like Boston, Owusu, Bueckers, Clark(Iowa) who can come in and play right away at a high level.

Our other frosh will take more time to develop. Yes, I too get frustrated at the time it takes for our recruits to get up to speed. Hopefully, with this group, it will happen sooner than later. They have the potential to develop into a special group over the next couple of years. It doesn't happen overnight. We also could use an infusion of an Elite level player a little more regularly. You can't land a player of Diamond's caliber every six years and compete with the UConns, S Car, Md. and etc. who get one or two Elites every year.
Yep. But most fans do not have much knowledge / understanding about this sort of thing. Vivian spoke to it a few years back when things were particularly lean (facilities included) and I remember most fans couldn't understand why she was saying that the RU players were not as good as IIRC Syracuse in the particular case.

I don't particularly follow WBB recruiting - and being way out here in Arizona, I don't get regular "Rutgers" updates - so watching televised games this year, Diamond was a wonderful surprise. She should have a wonderful career.

Reactions: MADHAT1
You just made my point
You, obviously, missed the points I made. I can't have a beef with the coaches about development of this frosh class when they are still frosh. I said, I'll reserve judgement for a couple years. Then you can see if this class will have been developed.

Last edited:
Agree with most of your points. I thought the turnovers cost us the game. Who would have thought that they would badly outscore us on "point-off-turnovers" and bench points. Todays result in that category is usually reversed in our favor.

As far as three pt shooting, we were not consistent enough down the stretch of the season. When we start out missing them, while the other team is hitting open threes and taking leads, Arella went into rescue mode. I just wish other players stepped up and hit their open looks on a more consistent basis. If that happened, we win the last two games we played.

CVS can get back to final four if she can keep the recruiting momentum of last year going. Remember, the elites are bringing in, the kind of class we celebrated last year or better, every year. I will judge the program on the development of the class from last year (last summer) and those to follow.
Bench points? How do you think Rutgers outscores opponents with bench points?
They rarely give any significant minutes to anyone but the starters with the occasional exception of Liz Martino. It is also the reason we have no idea how talented our returning players are. If I was a returning 5 I would be exploring the portal. If a 4 I would hope Giles and Mack leave.

Bench points? How do you think Rutgers outscores opponents with bench points?
They rarely give any significant minutes to anyone but the starters with the occasional exception of Liz Martino. It is also the reason we have no idea how talented our returning players are. If I was a returning 5 I would be exploring the portal. If a 4 I would hope Giles and Mack leave.
I was mainly thinking turnovers and points off of them. Bench points was in reference to this specific game, not a season long pattern. But I had researched this team and knew that they had 2 main scorers and a third person that would chip in 8-10 points. They generally get very few to no points from their bench. I thought Zippy and Liz would be good for a few threes and that we would get a bucket or two from Sakima or Chyna. I wasn't expecting just 6 points from the bench.

Relax with the portal talk. It's not like we have Naz Hillmon in the post. Hopefully, Tyia will continue to work hard on her game but she will not keep Sakima and Chyna on the bench next year. They got few minutes this year because they weren't fully acclimated to Power 5 college bball. You could see it when Chyna got in games. She really seemed out of sorts on offense, Think about it, Tyia was the same way last year.

It has always been a problem and our other fab 5 recruiting class completely fizzled out; we had some bigs come in as freshman and barely saw the court; Diamond is the first freshman who has really contributed in her first year since Cappie

It has always been a problem and our other fab 5 recruiting class completely fizzled out; we had some bigs come in as freshman and barely saw the court; Diamond is the first freshman who has really contributed in her first year since Cappie
Not sure what you mean by "contributed". I would say that Matee, Essence, Kia, Piph, Betnijah, Kahleah, & Tyler were instant contributors at RU. Diamond follows in the mold of Cappie and Piph when talking flat out scorers. The others got a good chunk of minutes for freshman. I may have left out some others.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Off the top of my head Tyler Scaife made an impact right away as a freshman

Maybe the problem is you're getting upset over a little constructive criticism.
So, my friend, try to look at the replies you receive, from me and some other RU WBB fans, after one of your bashes as friendly advice in an effort to help you straighten up your act

1) I didn’t “bash” anyone or anything

2) Straighten up my act? Enough. Stop it. There are plenty of other people criticizing as much, if not more than myself, why don’t you give them half the nonsense you give me?!

It is natural for us to be disappointed in freshmen recruits like Chyna, Sakima and to an extent Martino don’t make much of a contribution or improvement over the course of their first year after big expectations. Diamond was all as advertised

Not sure what you mean by "contributed". I would say that Matee, Essence, Kia, Piph, Betnijah, Kahleah, & Tyler were instant contributors at RU. Diamond follows in the mold of Cappie and Piph when talking flat out scorers. The others got a good chunk of minutes for freshman. I may have left out some others.
No insult to any of the players you list, but Piph and Tyler were, I think, the greatest talents after Cappie, and now Johnson. The others were good and developed nicely, this group is the elites, comparatively.

1) I didn’t “bash” anyone or anything

2) Straighten up my act? Enough. Stop it. There are plenty of other people criticizing as much, if not more than myself, why don’t you give them half the nonsense you give me?!
because I respect you're Rutgers zeal and fanhood,I tend to respond to you a lot more than I probably disagree with what some others have to say.
So I will got on you when I feel you're wrong and look at you as someone who I feel post more in threads when there's something to complain about far more than when the team deserves praise. Even if you;re a great friend of Rutgers sports, some things are noticed that makes it look like the RU WBB program doesn't have that from you enough
Nothing personal, just a different opinion on the RU WBB team .

No insult to any of the players you list, but Piph and Tyler were, I think, the greatest talents after Cappie, and now Johnson. The others were good and developed nicely, this group is the elites, comparatively.
Diamond is the first freshman who has really contributed in her first year since Cappie
My reply was in response to the statement that you see from rich the dentist. Believe me, I would never put the others in Cappie's space. I truly believed that Cappie was the best female baller on the planet around the time she entered the WNBA. When she won the title with Phoenix, the only person you could say was better, was Candace Parker( only because of 6'5" with skills like a guard). And that is debatable. I wasn't stating that they all were elite, but that they contributed right away.

Last edited:

I think there are a number of reasons why we lost versus BYU (mostly due to giving up a shocking 26 pts in the 4th quarter...and turnovers) but this is not the team to complain about play development with. Diamond was as advertised and lived up to the hype; of the other 4 starters, only Arella sniffed a top 100 list in HS, and is now about to be a top 10 draft pick. Arella/Tekia/Tyia/Mael have all improved significantly over their time at RU.

I also wouldn't say the freshmen didn't live up to the hype. Diamond was everything and more she was promoted to be. The other 4 (Martino, Sakima, Chyna, Erika) were excellent recruits, but were not viewed at the same level as Diamond. They each also had games/moments were they played important roles. this was a really tough year to be a freshman with the lack of summer practice, the COVID breaks, and protocols, etc. There will be plenty of PT next year for the taking, and I think after sophomore year will be a better time to judge this class.

It is natural for us to be disappointed in freshmen recruits like Chyna, Sakima and to an extent Martino don’t make much of a contribution or improvement over the course of their first year after big expectations. Diamond was all as advertised

I happen to think all these players are going to be very good for RU; careers are not set in stone after a freshman year. This is also such a weird year to measure "improvement" from players due to all the starts and stops with the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT