ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Penn State 1/6/2018 4:30PM

whew thank god thats over...these home games are suppose to be easier. Have to have the killer instinct when up double digits

however remember the teams from two and three years ago were losing this type of game when they were challenged so this team may be different. All of these close games the team has been in is great experience...this team just knows how to win in the end...it may have been ugly but congrats on their 11th straight win

This game was a nail-biter at the end.
Every time RU seemed ready to put it away, PSU made something happen for themselves to stay in game and have a shot at winning.
Hard fought RU victory and one that kept its fans on edge till the final second.

Abro 75 - you need to relax. Your negativity acts like a hex.

You are confusing my negativity for my reverse psychology/superstition. Although I realize it's unlucky to be superstitious , I still can't help myself.
I take a lot of credit for todays win with my reverse psychology posts. Thank you. You can buy me a beer at the Final 4.

Abro 75 - you need to relax. Your negativity acts like a hex.
I take what he said as just the common everyday Rutgers fan panic attack when things start going wrong.
hrSrrBd.gif

This game was a nail-biter at the end.
Every time RU seemed ready to put it away, PSU made something happen for themselves to stay in game and have a shot at winning.
Hard fought RU victory and one that kept its fans on edge till the final second.
Don't think it was PSU making plays. It was us not making plays at the end.
No reason what so ever to foul them. This is just dumb basketball. Why challenge a jump shot if you're not going to block out following the shot.
We wouldn't have won against a slightly better team. At least it's a W and another one in the B1G. Tyler getting closer.

You are confusing my negativity for my reverse psychology/superstition. Although I realize it's unlucky to be superstitious , I still can't help myself.
I take a lot of credit for todays win with my reverse psychology posts. Thank you. You can buy me a beer at the Final 4.

I actually understand this. If I feel good about a game, odds are that we lose.

Reactions: Abro1975
I actually understand this. If I feel good about a game, odds are that we lose.

A long history of following RU will do that. Rutgers College , class of 1975 here.

Viv said pre game that this would be a very close game. She was right. Scaife is a star, Penn St had 2 stars in Carter and Page, but our Defense continues to be the biggest star every game. Not every game will be easy, especially in conference, and especially against a rival like Penn St.

4-0 First place in Big 10 !
16-2 overall !
CViv 7 wins away from 1,000 wins
Scaife only 2 points away from 2,000 points !

This is shaping up to be a very very good season for RU W BB !

Last edited:
Escape with the win and some teachable moments.
...don't foul in the backcourt when you want the clock to run
...know that with the score as it was their guard was going to stop and pop from the top of the circle for three
...don't throw that crossing pass out front where a turnover leads to a quick basket for them

...know that with the score as it was their guard was going to stop and pop from the top of the circle for three
...don't throw that crossing pass out front where a turnover leads to a quick basket for them

those two turnovers late were brutal....they were lucky that girl didnt make that layup to give PSU the lead

A long history of following RU will do that. Rutgers College , class of 1975 here.

Viv said pre game that this would be a very close game. She was right. Scaife is a star, Penn St had 2 stars in Carter and Page, but our Defense continues to be the biggest star every game. Not every game will be easy, especially in conference, and especially against a rival like Penn St.

4-0 First place in Big 10 !
15-2 overall !
CViv 7 wins away from 1,000 wins
Scaife only 2 points away from 2,000 points !

This is shaping up to be a very very good season for RU W BB !
16-2!!!! 16-2!!!!!! Not 15-2.

Reactions: Abro1975
I’m extremely superstitious too. I think we as a fan base would all benefit from reading The Psychology of Winning. Focus on the positive and expect that good things will happen.

Based on current logic, sounds like you don't want him to. Just sayin'.

Who are you, LeBron James?

Something has been going on with Fitzpatrick for the past week or two, she gets completely gassed in only a couple of minutes on the court, sucking wind , hands on hips, wonder if she is fighting the flu or bronchitis

My thoughts (sorry in advance, a little winded). If you want my Clifnotes opinion though, just go right to the bottom:
1. Should not have been close. Make even half of the missed layups and chippies, and this is a different game. At times they looked crisp and impressive, too many other times they looked sloppy, out of sync and reverting back to playground ball. That being said, this team showed grit and found a way to win. They didn’t fold, as some recent teams would have done. The mark of the great CVS teams of the past has been to take a punch, but not go down. I like this team and I like their fight.
2. They will need to correct the layup and free throw situation if they want to challenge for the top in the B1G and do well in the tournament. I’m sure CVS will be all over that.
3. Scaife is a winner, and when she starts hitting her money shot (mid range pull up jumper) during a game, it’s nothing but good news for the Knights.
4. I haven’t seen this much 55 in years, and this team can play it well. To me, it has a totally different vibe with this team than the accomplished 55 teams of the past (various incarnations with Kia, Essence, Matee,
Miles, Chelsea etc). Those seemed to (key word seem) have more energy when applying that defense, but this team looks more low key when running it.....still with stellar results. Great results from this team, just different feel to it (anyone else share a similar opinion?)
5. More players hitting 3’s. Nuff said.
6. No one mentioned our alumni in the house. June Olkowski and Patty “Ladybug” Delahanty were shown during halftime. Just think if they had played with a 3 pt line?
7. No offense to the season ticket holders ,but if RU wants to grow the fan base and excite young fans, then (for one example) they need to do a better job of engaging that target audience during timeouts. I had enthusiastic girls high school basketball and cheerleading teams in my section all screaming wildly during the T-shirt toss, yet all shirts (but 1) were thrown to the same places as always, the season ticket holders. During another couple timeouts, the same teams were jumping up and down to get the camera man’s attention, and said camera man kept focusing on the band and cheerleaders.
8. Not to jump on Bac’s bandwagon, but concessions are terrible. Only reason I tried them was because of a promotional voucher. Football concessions are definitely better ( which may not be saying much).

In summary, I like this team...a lot. They “get it”, we have a senior leader who says she still hasn’t reached her potential, we have a good defense with an effective 55, I can’t remember a deeper bench, and I have renewed faith in CVS.

I’m not saying this team will make deep runs in the B1G or NCAA tournies, but I am saying that I haven’t been this optimistic in several years. Go RU!

My thoughts (sorry in advance, a little winded). If you want my Clifnotes opinion though, just go right to the bottom:
1. Should not have been close. Make even half of the missed layups and chippies, and this is a different game. At times they looked crisp and impressive, too many other times they looked sloppy, out of sync and reverting back to playground ball. That being said, this team showed grit and found a way to win. They didn’t fold, as some recent teams would have done. The mark of the great CVS teams of the past has been to take a punch, but not go down. I like this team and I like their fight.
2. They will need to correct the layup and free throw situation if they want to challenge for the top in the B1G and do well in the tournament. I’m sure CVS will be all over that.
3. Scaife is a winner, and when she starts hitting her money shot (mid range pull up jumper) during a game, it’s nothing but good news for the Knights.
4. I haven’t seen this much 55 in years, and this team can play it well. To me, it has a totally different vibe with this team than the accomplished 55 teams of the past (various incarnations with Kia, Essence, Matee,
Miles, Chelsea etc). Those seemed to (key word seem) have more energy when applying that defense, but this team looks more low key when running it.....still with stellar results. Great results from this team, just different feel to it (anyone else share a similar opinion?)
5. More players hitting 3’s. Nuff said.
6. No one mentioned our alumni in the house. June Olkowski and Patty “Ladybug” Delahanty were shown during halftime. Just think if they had played with a 3 pt line?
7. No offense to the season ticket holders ,but if RU wants to grow the fan base and excite young fans, then (for one example) they need to do a better job of engaging that target audience during timeouts. I had enthusiastic girls high school basketball and cheerleading teams in my section all screaming wildly during the T-shirt toss, yet all shirts (but 1) were thrown to the same places as always, the season ticket holders. During another couple timeouts, the same teams were jumping up and down to get the camera man’s attention, and said camera man kept focusing on the band and cheerleaders.
8. Not to jump on Bac’s bandwagon, but concessions are terrible. Only reason I tried them was because of a promotional voucher. Football concessions are definitely better ( which may not be saying much).

In summary, I like this team...a lot. They “get it”, we have a senior leader who says she still hasn’t reached her potential, we have a good defense with an effective 55, I can’t remember a deeper bench, and I have renewed faith in CVS.

I’m not saying this team will make deep runs in the B1G or NCAA tournies, but I am saying that I haven’t been this optimistic in several years. Go RU!

Listen to the post-game presser - CVS addresses the missed layups.

I didn't get a chance to follow tonight's game, but when it came on the crawl on the B1G Network I yelled out YEAH!, and scared my golden retriever. Our women are 16-2 and 4-0 in conference. Keep it up ladies!

Reactions: NickyNewark51
The 3 point shot is the equalizer in college basketball.Rutgers built up leads and then PSU would start making uncontested 3 point shots and the game quickly became a nail biter.

As to missed layups this isn't a new issue for the women or the mens team.Its a lack of concentration similar to missed foul shots.Every point counts regardless how they are made.

The 3 point shot is the equalizer in college basketball.Rutgers built up leads and then PSU would start making uncontested 3 point shots and the game quickly became a nail biter.
I think the fallacy of past years comes into play here. We aren’t the same terrible 3 Point shooting team we’ve been in the past. PSU made 1 more 3 than we did.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Hmmm, guessing there’s some inside joke here somewhere, but the answer is no

There's a poster with the handle 'Jellyman' who posts on the Men's Bball board. He often does a comprehensive, well thought-out analysis after a game. You should take this as a compliment!

Reactions: Turtle31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT