ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Purdue 1/5/20 Game Thread

Sometimes it’s better to be positive than to predict the worst.

The play we saw today is consistent with all 3 league games this year and how this team under CVS has played since joining the Big 10

When you play like this consistently it makes every game a down to the wire toss up where Rutgers wont always come up on top. Not the best blueprint to win championships

Almost a self fulfilling prophesy ... the talent on our team is actually good, so we can pull out to these leads, and then the psychology of it starts to get to them - they EXPECT a collapse, and so it happens. Then, once the comeback is complete, they go back to normal and can eek out these victories. Need a sports psychologist - the men have shown that they can stay ahead after pulling away, the women need to learn that

They seem to lose their focus on playing good d and start fouling....when they are focused on defense they are at their best and the transition offense gets going which they need because the half court offense is pretty bad

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The play we saw today is consistent with all 3 league games this year and how this team under CVS has played since joining the Big 10

When you play like this consistently it makes every game a down to the wire toss up where Rutgers wont always come up on top. Not the best blueprint to win championships
Spot on comments that some fans don't want to hear.The killer instinct is missing which allows inferior opponents to stay in games and possibly win at crunch time.

Whew! Good solid win on the road. Now that the game is over and I know I must sound like a broken record, but officiating in women's BB is HORRIBLE! It must make C Viv. want to pull her hair out. There were so many ticky-tacky touch fouls against Rutgers in the third and fourth quarter which allowed a badly beaten Purdue team to get back into the game. The good of the uneven fouls at the end however, forced Purdue to foul four more times in order to stop the clock and send one of our women to the FT line. And Gilles and Guirantes nailed all six FT's sealing the win.

I've said this about women's BB officiating for the last four decades. It is so bad and so uneven and it's never changed. There was one official in today's game (an old fart in gray hair) that anticipated calling fouls before even a so-called "touch foul" occurred. That is one of the most infuriating parts of the officiating in women's BB because many times the official is out of position and just assumes a foul occurs.

There, I've vented. I feel better thank you.

Spot on comments that some fans don't want to hear.The killer instinct is missing which allows inferior opponents to stay in games and possibly win at crunch time.
And I was just telling someone I think they have the killer instinct, and didn't fall apart when they could have.

The one thing I've noticed with the women's game is the referees won't let the game have any physical contact. Rutgers is penalized because they play an aggressive style of defense that's not common in the women's game. That same style is acceptable in the men's game. If the refs similarly called the game, Rutgers wins, on average, another 3 or 4 games a year because of their defense.

The one thing I've noticed with the women's game is the referees won't let the game have any physical contact. Rutgers is penalized because they play an aggressive style of defense that's not common in the women's game. That same style is acceptable in the men's game. If the refs similarly called the game, Rutgers wins, on average, another 3 or 4 games a year because of their defense.
Good points. But if you watch more women's games, you'll notice against us the opposition IS allowed to bang more underneath without getting a foul called against them. Also, it boggles my mind how many times we get called for ticky-tacky touch fouls out on the perimeter thirty feet from the basket.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I need to go back and watch game, but I will say this: it's early in conference play, but Purdue thus far has looked like solid competition. They're #23 in RPI coming into this game, with wins over Drake, Arizona St, Ohio State. I'm not sure if RU has ever won AT Purdue since joining the B10. Both Harris and McLAughlin I believe were preseason all big 10.

This is not to excuse the team's weak play after the first quarter (Though they were only outscored by 3 in the second half). But after the Indiana showing, this is actually a pretty big road win at this point in the season. Coming into this 3-game stretch to start B10 play, I would not have been shocked at all if we had won at home against Indiana then lost at Purdue.

And while we wish the team kept foot on gas pedal after first quarter, this B10 season is going to be wild (see Northwestern crushing Maryland). The team is going to face runs and come from behind games, and to have them see a collapse in front of them and pull themselves out of it will be important down the line.

This was a massive win, I don't see any negative at all. Sure we got ahead by playing a flawless 1st qtr, however you knew Purdue was going to make a run. They are a good team at home. I think it showed great character for us to absorb the run and pull it out in the end. We never did let Purdue get in front. This is a team building victory

When a Hall of Fame announcer like Vera Jones doesn't mention bad calls, unfair refs , it's because it isn't there. RU's style of play dictates the call. The More steal attempts, the more fouls you are going to pick up. There is no conspiracy against Rutgers or coach Stringer.

When a Hall of Fame announcer like Vera Jones doesn't mention bad calls, unfair refs , it's because it isn't there. RU's style of play dictates the call. The More steal attempts, the more fouls you are going to pick up. There is no conspiracy against Rutgers or coach Stringer.

I hardly watch WBB, but, I did tune in for around 5 minutes in the 2nd half and the first thing I thought was the officials were making unnecessary foul calls on Rutgers.

They were pressured by the Purdue coaches who were complaining.

Looking at B1G standings, there are only 2 unbeaten teams in the conference and one of them (Northwestern) is losing by double digits in the 2nd quarter of their game today. This is a wide open league and anyone can win or be beaten on any given night. There are no style points but wins of any kind are important. On to Illinois and bring home another road win.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Not a conspiracy problem, but a perception problem. The perception by a lot of people is Rutgers' aggressive nature means they are more likely to foul the opposing player, so the refs anticipate the foul. It's human nature. We all have biases like it or not.

Not a conspiracy problem, but a perception problem. The perception by a lot of people is Rutgers' aggressive nature means they are more likely to foul the opposing player, so the refs anticipate the foul. It's human nature. We all have biases like it or not.

Wrong. It's the reality of a full court press for 40 full minutes which will result in a rebounding advantage, a turnover advantage , but will also result in picking up extra fouls. That's not perception, that's reality.

My sense was that the offense stalled when Jordan Wallace left the game in the second quarter because of foul trouble. She was dominating inside, despite Purdue's all Big Ten defender.

Wrong. It's the reality of a full court press for 40 full minutes which will result in a rebounding advantage, a turnover advantage , but will also result in picking up extra fouls. That's not perception, that's reality.
Well not really. You’re a making an assumption that people who press must foul. That is a bias. So you are doing what the refs are doing. It is 100 percent possible to press and not foul. Are you saying it is not possible?

Well not really. You’re a making an assumption that people who press must foul. That is a bias. So you are doing what the refs are doing. It is 100 percent possible to press and not foul. Are you saying it is not possible?

almost anything is theoretically possible. What is highly probable is that the team that presses full court for the entire game is going to pick up more fouls than the team that does not.

"Rutgers (12-2, 2-1) scored eight of the contest's final 10 points to earn a 59-53 win over Purdue Sunday afternoon at Mackey Arena. Arella Guirantes shot 8-of-13, including 4-of-4 behind the arc, to register a game-high 22 points while pacing four Scarlet Knights in double figures.

Rutgers was 10-of-11 at the charity stripe, including a perfect 6-of-6 with less than :30 seconds remining, to secure its second Big Ten road win in as many attempts this season.
Jordan Wallace contributed 12 points on 6-of-12 shooting and Mael Gilles and KK Sanders both added 10 to join Guirantes in double figures. Gilles also grabbed a team-best seven boards as RU out-rebounded its hosts by a 35-28 margin.

Rutgers jumped-out to a 7-0 advantage to force an early Boilermaker timeout. Employing a relentless defense, the visitors built their lead to as much as 17 points before entering the locker room at the midpoint with a 28-19 advantage.

A persistent Purdue would not go quietly before its home crowd. The Boilermakers tied the contest on two occasions with under five minutes to play. Tied at 51-51 with one minute to go, Guirantes made a steal in the defensive post before depositing the go-ahead bucket at the other end. The Scarlet Knights, who never trailed, held the advantage for the reminder to secure the hard-fought victory.

Rutgers resumes its Big Ten schedule on Thursday at Illinois. The contest will tip-off at 8 p.m. ET on BTN Plus.

Follow Rutgers women's basketball on Twitter and Instagram for all of the latest news and updates. The team is also on Facebook). For additional updates, please download the Gameday App.

POSTGAME NOTES
Arella Guirantes scored in double figures for the 13th time this season and 47th time in her collegiate career.
Guirantes had three steals, marking the second time this season she had three or more thefts and the fifth time in her collegiate career.
For the 13th time in 14 games, Rutgers outscored an opponent in the paint and in points off turnovers.
Jordan Wallace scored in double digits for the sixth time this season and seventh occasion in her career.
Mael Gilles scored in double digits for the fifth time this season and seventh time in her career.
KK Sanders scored in double figures for the ninth time this season and 23rd time in her career.
The starting lineup of Arella Guirantes, Tekia Mack, KK Sanders, Jordan Wallace and Mael Gilles have started 13 of 14 games this season.
Rutgers now leads the all-time series dating back to 1999 with the Boilermakers 7-4.
Rutgers has had at least two double-digit scorers in all 14 games."

https://scarletknights.com/news/202...l-womens-hoops-earns-59-53-win-at-purdue.aspx

Reactions: ScarletteK80
RU defense is solid, but the offense is awful. Set plays are almost playground type. Does the team actually practice offensive sets On regular extended basis?

Iowa just beat NW by 20. NW was undefeated in Conference, now only Indiana sits without a Big10 loss.

Iowa just beat NW by 20. NW was undefeated in Conference, now only Indiana sits without a Big10 loss.
I think Indiana is the best team I've seen so far in conference. While Maryland may be more talented, Indiana is a better team.

Reactions: Abro1975
"Rutgers (12-2, 2-1) scored eight of the contest's final 10 points to earn a 59-53 win over Purdue Sunday afternoon at Mackey Arena. Arella Guirantes shot 8-of-13, including 4-of-4 behind the arc, to register a game-high 22 points while pacing four Scarlet Knights in double figures.

Rutgers was 10-of-11 at the charity stripe, including a perfect 6-of-6 with less than :30 seconds remining, to secure its second Big Ten road win in as many attempts this season.
Jordan Wallace contributed 12 points on 6-of-12 shooting and Mael Gilles and KK Sanders both added 10 to join Guirantes in double figures. Gilles also grabbed a team-best seven boards as RU out-rebounded its hosts by a 35-28 margin.

Rutgers jumped-out to a 7-0 advantage to force an early Boilermaker timeout. Employing a relentless defense, the visitors built their lead to as much as 17 points before entering the locker room at the midpoint with a 28-19 advantage.

A persistent Purdue would not go quietly before its home crowd. The Boilermakers tied the contest on two occasions with under five minutes to play. Tied at 51-51 with one minute to go, Guirantes made a steal in the defensive post before depositing the go-ahead bucket at the other end. The Scarlet Knights, who never trailed, held the advantage for the reminder to secure the hard-fought victory.

Rutgers resumes its Big Ten schedule on Thursday at Illinois. The contest will tip-off at 8 p.m. ET on BTN Plus.

Follow Rutgers women's basketball on Twitter and Instagram for all of the latest news and updates. The team is also on Facebook). For additional updates, please download the Gameday App.

POSTGAME NOTES
Arella Guirantes scored in double figures for the 13th time this season and 47th time in her collegiate career.
Guirantes had three steals, marking the second time this season she had three or more thefts and the fifth time in her collegiate career.
For the 13th time in 14 games, Rutgers outscored an opponent in the paint and in points off turnovers.
Jordan Wallace scored in double digits for the sixth time this season and seventh occasion in her career.
Mael Gilles scored in double digits for the fifth time this season and seventh time in her career.
KK Sanders scored in double figures for the ninth time this season and 23rd time in her career.
The starting lineup of Arella Guirantes, Tekia Mack, KK Sanders, Jordan Wallace and Mael Gilles have started 13 of 14 games this season.
Rutgers now leads the all-time series dating back to 1999 with the Boilermakers 7-4.
Rutgers has had at least two double-digit scorers in all 14 games."

https://scarletknights.com/news/202...l-womens-hoops-earns-59-53-win-at-purdue.aspx

Lol..so Rutgers was 4 of 5 from the line for the 1st 39mins and 30 secs.
Didn't watch the game after q1 cause I just don't need the anxiety ..glad I didn't.
IF RU was getting screwed again..IF..,I will continue to call out our HOF coach for not leveraging her status and letting the refs. Just abuse her team. Wish she would. However..I did not see the game most part.
Bottom line. Big road win and maybe the rest of the league coaches and press will start giving RU the respect they've earned. (ha).

Lol..so Rutgers was 4 of 5 from the line for the 1st 39mins and 30 secs.
Didn't watch the game after q1 cause I just don't need the anxiety ..glad I didn't.
IF RU was getting screwed again..IF..,I will continue to call out our HOF coach for not leveraging her status and letting the refs. Just abuse her team. Wish she would. However..I did not see the game most part.
Bottom line. Big road win and maybe the rest of the league coaches and press will start giving RU the respect they've earned. (ha).

A Hall of Fame coach picks her spots when to 'leverage' her status and 'work' the officials. C Vivs knows a thing or 2 cause she's seen a thing or 2'., lol. Eatman has a pretty good rep in his own right. This staff is well, well regarded by Refs, Announcers, and those close to the game.

almost anything is theoretically possible. What is highly probable is that the team that presses full court for the entire game is going to pick up more fouls than the team that does not.
It is also possible for you both to be, in essence correct.

Rutgers' style will often result in more (actual) fouls than might result from a less aggressive defensive scheme. It is also true that Rutgers has a reputation for pushing the foul envelope with their physical defense. Because of that, referees (who most certainly do anticipate to an extent) are likely to appear biased against Rutgers. It isn't real bias, which makes it harder to correct, it is just the same sort of thing that could, in the day, leave a star UConn center stay in the paint for 5 seconds while a 2.5 second stay would result in a 3 second call against the opponent. Perception, perception, perception.

A Hall of Fame coach picks her spots when to 'leverage' her status and 'work' the officials. C Vivs knows a thing or 2 cause she's seen a thing or 2'., lol. Eatman has a pretty good rep in his own right. This staff is well, well regarded by Refs, Announcers, and those close to the game.
How many Ts has CVS gotten the last 5 or 10 years ?
I get our team plays aggressive. I also know we get jobbed more than our share.,way more.
Would be interesting to see our fouls, vs. Other team fouls of power conf. teams we've played. I'll do some homework and chart her Ts vs. Other top coaches and get back to you.

I don't know about this game. But to suggest RU women's bball gets all this respect ..including ncaa committee just doesn't come close to my experience watching her teams since TGrentz.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RU MAN
A couple quick observations:

Unlike in the Indiana game, Jordan Wallace placed with purpose. She posted up, she made determined, strong post moves, and took it to the reigning B10 defensive player of the year in the post. Jordan has some good post moves and she can finish. We are better when she is demanding the ball and we are giving it to her.

Mael Gilles is maybe our best passer into the post. she has good instincts and always looking up.

Much better shot distribution today: Arella with 13 shots, Jordan with 12, KK with 10, Mack with 6. Arella is our best scorer--she should take the most most shots--but we can't be one dimensional on offense.

Speaking of Arella, she's now shooting 41% from 3 for the season, second on the team, after Mael Gilles at 42%. I wouldn't mind either of them taking a few more a game.

She doesn't get T's because she's Vivian F'n Stringer, Hall of Famer, . I've been following RU W BB Before Viv, and Before Grentz. Viv knows when to work the refs, and knows the vast majority of her team's fouls are because they press relentlessly in the '55'. The other coaches know it, the announcers know, most fans know it, and of course, the refs know it.

Last edited:
She doesn't get T's because she's Vivian F'n Stringer, Hall of Famer, . I've been following RU W BB Before Viv, and Before Grentz. Viv knows when to work the refs, and knows the vast majority of her team's fouls are because they press relentlessly in the '55'. The other coaches know it, the announcers know, most fans know it, and of course, the refs know it.
Well I see it totally different and I've been there since '77 myself. She doesn't get off the bench and doesn't get after the refs. She may stare, shake her head but being confrontational isn't in her DNA.
She's a cerebral coach. Not the up and down sidelines we saw from Tim last year.
I'm not even taking about the ticky tack aggressive press calls. I get that too.
You're never gonna convince me the Rutgers women get any benefit from the refs or conf. Or ncaa because c viv....one of the VERY Few HOF Women's coaches, coaches Rutgers.
Never saying we don't have to earn it. I just never see us get the benefit from it.

Well I see it totally different and I've been there since '77 myself. She doesn't get off the bench and doesn't get after the refs. She may stare, shake her head but being confrontational isn't in her DNA.
She's a cerebral coach. Not the up and down sidelines we saw from Tim last year.
I'm not even taking about the ticky tack aggressive press calls. I get that too.
You're never gonna convince me the Rutgers women get any benefit from the refs or conf. Or ncaa because c viv....one of the VERY Few HOF Women's coaches, coaches Rutgers.
Never saying we don't have to earn it. I just never see us get the benefit from it.

Because you are not objective.

I tuned it today at 26-9 and watched most of the rest. I'm happy we won on the road against a top team, but our offense was hard to watch for long stretches. We had some possessions with really no sense of urgency or movement to get a good shot. Guirantes was on today and that may be the only reason we held on to the lead. Kudos to her for a great performance.

As for the officiating, I didn't see a ton of calls against us that looked wrong. There are always a few missed calls, but I didn't get the impression it was eight on five.

Indiana is in the driver's seat for now. Let's see if we can hang in that 2nd slot and be ready to take advantage if the Hoosiers stumble.

The philosophy of officiating is advantage vs. disadvantage. Unfortunately, the refs have a pre-concept what Rutgers women can handle, due to their style of play. The concept of freedom of movement is a disadvantage for our style of play, so the officials radar is on full effect when we are on defense and they relax when we are on offense. I don't understand what they discuss when they have their post-game video conference after the game. Because I haven't seen any improvement in the calls.

yes, not the blueprint for winning a championship, but might be the start of getting more constant and improving enough to be considered a National Championship
contender when being seeded in the Tourney.

I'll admit the RU O needs to be better, which will make it easier for the D to press the opponent into mistakes.
This team is now getting fully loaded and
learning each other as the season progresses.

Could the team play better: of course .
But 12-2 is a fairly good record to have and the players getting more comfortable in their roles and each other might lead to a team that will be a threat to take it all.
But for now,I'll just go with a team that will get to the Dance and hopefully a good run in it, if the team starts showing more balanced scoring uup and down the stat sheet.

Will end my half @$$ critique with this:
SpottedTotalIrishterrier-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT