ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Purdue 1/5/20 Game Thread

Purdue was 11-3 coming into the game. RU was playing against/before what was by far the largest crowd they've seen this season, a crowd about five times as large as RU's home attendance average. But they never melted. So this was a very good win for the Knights.

I was surprised to see that RU holds something like a 7-4 record against Purdue over the years. I seem to only recall the losses! Before joining the B1G, I remember us playing at Mackey in the NCAA and losing. So while I'm pleased to see RU with a winning record against Purdue, that still shouldn't take anything away from the significance of today's victory.

Please keep it going with a win in Champaign-Urbana this week. This can still be a very special season since, as was noted above, the conference is wide open this year.

I wish we had some low pressure games where Morris could play through her mistakes and get going. I still think she’ll be big for us going down the stretch.

she had a couple of nice steals today, but she still isn’t in sync with everyone else yet.

We are three games into an 18-game league schedule. Given what I've seen so far in the B10, I have a feeling the final finish won't be determined till game #18.

Because you are not objective.

OK, like you I have some time on my hands lol. Here's just a quick objective stat. Came right from SK.com stats site. Made my own excel spreadsheet I'll send you if you want. For some reason season stats only cover 103 games last 5 seasons. But all of the last 2 plus this season to date.

In those 103 games Rutgers has been called for a total of 1902 fouls vs. opponents at 1607. 18.5 vs. 15.5 per game. Ok, we foul on the press more right?

Well no. Shooting fouls! We have taken 1581 foul shots at 15.3 per game vs. 1967 (or 19.1 per game) by opponents. Over 103 game sample size. That includes plenty on non-conf. games and again over 103 games.

If you want to extrapolate that to 5 - 32 game seasons that means other teams over 5 full years have taken 598 more FOUL SHOTS than us. ON AVERAGE, over 160 games that would be 4 more foul shots PER GAME. Not fouls in the open court, Foul shots.
(and of course I know what a 1 n 1 is).

That's not fouling on the press. That's getting called for fouls left and right.
Again, I'll get back to you with how many team fouls and technical fouls Geno, Pat, Maura, and a few other top respected coaches have gotten over say the last 103 games they coached. Just for craps and giggles as they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletteK80
OK, like you I have some time on my hands lol. Here's just a quick objective stat. Came right from SK.com stats site. Made my own excel spreadsheet I'll send you if you want. For some reason season stats only cover 103 games last 5 seasons. But all of the last 2 plus this season to date.

In those 103 games Rutgers has been called for a total of 1902 fouls vs. opponents at 1607. 18.5 vs. 15.5 per game. Ok, we foul on the press more right?

Well no. Shooting fouls! We have taken 1581 foul shots at 15.3 per game vs. 1967 (or 19.1 per game) by opponents. Over 103 game sample size. That includes plenty on non-conf. games and again over 103 games.

If you want to extrapolate that to 5 - 32 game seasons that means other teams over 5 full years have taken 598 more FOUL SHOTS than us. ON AVERAGE, over 160 games that would be 4 more foul shots PER GAME. Not fouls in the open court, Foul shots.

That's not fouling on the press. That's getting called for fouls left and right.
Again, I'll get back to you with how many team fouls and technical fouls Geno, Pat, Maura, and a few other top respected coaches have gotten over say the last 103 games they coached. Just for craps and giggles as they say.
Let's not even talk about the NCAA tournament seedings and regional placements of Rutgers over the years.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
We are three games into an 18-game league schedule. Given what I've seen so far in the B10, I have a feeling the final finish won't be determined till game #18.
Please no, my nerves will be shot if your scenario comes to fruition.

Impressive work there 1984, except now I'll have nightmares of undergrad, and grad school stat classes.

Before joining the B1G, I remember us playing at Mackey in the NCAA and losing.
The big loss to Purdue wasn't in Mackey. It was in Normal, Illinois in the Elite 8.

It was an annoying game, one of several instances over the years were we coulda / shoulda but didn't. That big lead against UConn down in Greensboro was another.

That Purdue won the tourney didn't make it any better.

Ah yes:

We lost to Purdue in the Elite 8 in 1999 75-62 in Normal, Illinois. That was the year Purdue was the #1 overall seed and went on to win the championship. The following year, RU got to the Final Four.

In my mind, the more depressing loss was in the 2009 Sweet 16, when #7 seed RU lost to #6 seed Purdue 67-61 in Kia and Heather's senior year, just a game after crushing #2 seed Auburn at home. That was absolutely a game the team could have won, though that season was up and down all year.

Overall, RU is now 7-5 against Purdue in its history, and is on a 4-game winning streak (including two wins in the B10 tournament) .

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Sorry. Nearly impossible to find the stats on Coaches technical fouls without going game by game for every coach, every season...1000 + . I don't have an "Alexa" to ask. (I'm sure you were all just waiting all morning for my update lol! :Laughing)

giphy.gif

PS- In private, watching our W BB games, I curse every call against us, lol. And curse the BB gods when we get sent to UConn's region or any good team (PS all 4 regions are tough). And for disclosure I will admit I am a former official- NJSIAA Football official, lol. But not BB. My niece was a NY State All star player and went on to win NY State HS Coach of the Year for Staten Island Academy and thinks the world of Coach Stringer. And I have followed W BB for many decades. I graduated RU College in 1975. My sister and I were the first brother and sister to graduate Rutgers College together (RU College went coed in 1972).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT