ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers Basketball lands nation's 8th best scorer in transfer G Tyson Acuff

Time will tell. Playing D affects O, plus very different level of competition.

Huh? You said their numbers were similar. That’s factually inaccurate regardless of how either perform in the future.

Just like you said Hyatt and Gavin shot poorly because our guards were bad and didn’t get them the ball (except Hyatt actually shot better this year than he did in past years when we had better guard). Stats are stats.

Reactions: TRU2RU and PaKnight
I’m not that impressed with the Michigan film TBH. I’ll feel better if I see other film with him driving and finishing left. In those highlights he seems to really favor the right. At the BIG level that could be a concern. He does finish really well on the right side - but good teams will likely be able to force him left.

Yes

Previously he had other scoring options on the team which is much more of a relevant scenario then his final year on a bad team where he was the only option. Other teams defense solely focused on him and he's forced to jack up a bunch of tough forced shots

Why would you think last season would be more relevant to his role and shot selection that he will have at RU?

Do you think he just forgot how to shoot or became a worse shooter last
As you get older you typically shoot better. Malcolm Gladwell 10.000 hours. The more shots you get up the better your shot gets (typically).
So his numbers sliding backwards for 3 years a with this recent being 29.2 leads one to believe he isn’t focusing on it and regressing.
He was the pg creating shots and he took ALOT of shots on a bad conference against inferior competition and finish the year the worst in his career.
So do I think he forgot now but clearly hasn’t focused on it and he will be closer to 29 then 39 next year.
We need shooters not to 6 ft 4 pg who can’t shoot and won’t play PG with Dylan on the ball.

I’d rather have second best shooter on a good team than best on worst teams
In conference.

Reactions: Shelby65
As you get older you typically shoot better. Malcolm Gladwell 10.000 hours. The more shots you get up the better your shot gets (typically).
So his numbers sliding backwards for 3 years a with this recent being 29.2 leads one to believe he isn’t focusing on it and regressing.
He was the pg creating shots and he took ALOT of shots on a bad conference against inferior competition and finish the year the worst in his career.
So do I think he forgot now but clearly hasn’t focused on it and he will be closer to 29 then 39 next year.
We need shooters not to 6 ft 4 pg who can’t shoot and won’t play PG with Dylan on the ball.

🥱

every single post is overwhelmingly negative - zero perspective/ balance - you just shit on everything RU

Another one trick pony.

Going on ignore cause your posts are useless

Heh

Nobody shoots better when they are taking 1 out of 3 shots unless they are Zach Edey types. Clearly means he’s not good enough to be taking tons of contested shots, but why would you think he’d do that on a team with other players? He didn’t do it before this past year when he was surrounded by better players.

Nobody shoots better when they are taking 1 out of 3 shots unless they are Zach Edey types. Clearly means he’s not good enough to be taking tons of contested shots, but why would you think he’d do that on a team with other players? He didn’t do it before this past year when he was surrounded by better players.
Ok I will politely disagree but understand your point! Hopefully you’re watching the McDonald’s game.

I want the ball in Dylan’s hands for 38 min. Our 3 remaining guards currently are ball dominant non shooters. Personally doesn’t make sense to me. I believe we need more off the ball shooting.

To me Tyson and Jwill same size same mid range players who won’t and shouldn’t have the ball in there hands on next years team.

Both could run second unit but feels like duplicate skill sets.

Hope I am wrong but will be there no matter what

Ok I will politely disagree but understand your point! Hopefully you’re watching the McDonald’s game.

I want the ball in Dylan’s hands for 38 min. Our 3 remaining guards currently are ball dominant non shooters. Personally doesn’t make sense to me. I believe we need more off the ball shooting.

To me Tyson and Jwill same size same mid range players who won’t and shouldn’t have the ball in there hands on next years team.

I think your wrong on JWill. He does a lot of good things and has good vision. Doesn’t really want to be a score first guy. Didn’t initially look to be one in the first few games. He’d pass and nobody could finish.

Reactions: Goku
I think your wrong on JWill. He does a lot of good things and has good vision. Doesn’t really want to be a score first guy. Didn’t initially look to be one in the first few games. He’d pass and nobody could finish.
Ok like o said I hope I am wrong. I saw a scorer who was good one on one defender who was lazy in team concept rotations and hung his teammates out to dry a lot. Tp be fair only played a 1/3 of the season and maybe needs time to understand those concepts better.

We will see but would take a shooter over Jwill tomorrow!

Time will tell and hope your right

So you don’t think Dylan’s effectiveness would be impacted by having the ball in his hands for 38 minutes?

Reactions: Goku and TRU2RU
You're lost

Ok like o said I hope I am wrong. I saw a scorer who was good one on one defender who was lazy in team concept rotations and hung his teammates out to dry a lot. Tp be fair only played a 1/3 of the season and maybe needs time to understand those concepts better.

We will see but would take a shooter over Jwill tomorrow!

Time will tell and hope your right

You saw that in his first couple games? I can’t see how. He came in off the bat looking to distribute. We had guys missing lay ups and not athletic enough to handle his passes which better players like Dylan and Ace would’ve handled cleanly as cutters. He got frustrated because those types of plays looked like “his” turnovers. Stopped trying to do that.

I will say having watched the Michigan film of Acuff, I don’t think he’s a threat to replace J Will in the starting line up. The film did the opposite of impress me despite the strong finishes at the rim driving right. On multiple plays in those highlights, Acuff passes up an open driving lane on the left side. Every penetrating drive was on the right side including the fast breaks. We’re very focused on this right now on the pee wee AAU home front - lol. Avoiding the left is something you can get away with against weaker defenses. Better teams adjust and really limit your output. We’ve been trying to engrain this in my son’s head.

I kind of agree, he seemed like a guy coming in who doesn't want to be score first, but then he leads the team by a decent amount in shots while he's out there. Those first four games he took the most shots too. Anyone who passed a ball this year had the same issue of people not finishing.

I kind of agree, he seemed like a guy coming in who doesn't want to be score first, but then he leads the team by a decent amount in shots while he's out there. Those first four games he took the most shots too. Anyone who passed a ball this year had the same issue of people not finishing.

If you were to go back and revisit his first few games, you’d see that most of his iso points were scored on last minute penetration with the shot winding down and nowhere else to go with the ball. He was 100% looking to distribute.

You saw that in his first couple games? I can’t see how. He came in off the bat looking to distribute. We had guys missing lay ups and not athletic enough to handle his passes which better players like Dylan and Ace would’ve handled cleanly as cutters. He got frustrated because those types of plays looked like “his” turnovers. Stopped trying to do that.

I will say having watched the Michigan film of Acuff, I don’t think he’s a threat to replace J Will in the starting line up. The film did the opposite of impress me despite the strong finishes at the rim driving right. On multiple plays in those highlights, Acuff passes up an open driving lane on the left side. Every penetrating drive was on the right side including the fast breaks. We’re very focused on this right now on the pee wee AAU home front - lol. Avoiding the left is something you can get away with against weaker defenses. Better teams adjust and really limit your output. We’ve been trying to engrain this in my son’s head.
I hear you felt the same thing happened to Jwill after his hot 4 game stretch. As you know , you then adjust to the adjustments. Look I hope your more right then I on this one.

If you were to go back and revisit his first few games, you’d see that most of his iso points were scored on last minute penetration with the shot winding down and nowhere else to go with the ball. He was 100% looking to distribute.
Mid range shoot first guard who still is learning team concepts on D! Watch his last few game. I could say DS and Noah were looking to find ppl as well and no one could finish or shoot.
It’s all good we have different opinions on a player. After they adjusted to Jwill he became less effective and was disappointed with his effort and body language in the big ten tournament

Mid range shoot first guard who still is learning team concepts on D! Watch his last few game. I could say DS and Noah were looking to find ppl as well and no one could finish or shoot.
It’s all good we have different opinions on a player. After they adjusted to Jwill he became less effective and was disappointed with his effort and body language in the big ten tournament

No - you can’t say that because at no point was it true. They both put their heads down and drove hoping to get fouled every opportunity they got.

J Will looked to dish off in transition from the start. It had to be frustrating when our guys couldn’t field the passes. In fairness, some of them were to Ogbole and J Will didn’t seem to adjust his play to the skill around him. But what happened after a while was he stopped attempting to find cutters or find someone else in transition - probably because those turnovers are attributed to him.

Reactions: RUDivision
Wow ! Ok so you disagree. lol

Run back your advanced scouting and thoughts on Noah! 🤔

It’s ok we can agree to disagree.
I was pretty concerned with Noah's size and speed but thought he would be a good 3 point shooter and use his craftiness to score

I did start to fall for the hype he got on the boards and by the mods. I have been ultra positive and optimistic in every season for the most part but after this year's disappointment I'm thinking more about downside

Acuff is not Noah. He's 6'4 and more athletic. He was one of the leading scorers in the nation. We have struggled scoring historically. At a minimum, he is a go to scorer when Dylan is on the bench to attack off the dribble. If that's all he is, it fills a nice role. Clear upside for more

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I was pretty concerned with Noah's size and speed but thought he would be a good 3 point shooter and use his craftiness to score

I did start to fall for the hype he got on the boards and by the mods. I have been ultra positive and optimistic in every season for the most part but after this year's disappointment I'm thinking more about downside

Acuff is not Noah. He's 6'4 and more athletic. He was one of the leading scorers in the nation. We have struggled scoring historically. At a minimum, he is a go to scorer when Dylan is on the bench to attack off the dribble. If that's all he is, it fills a nice role. Clear upside for more
All good ! I truly hope you’re right! I see 2 guys same size same mid range game. No doubt they will have open look. One should run the second unit.

If I was building the roster I would have a 2 off the ball shooter and a stretch four to play along Dylan and Ace. Jwill and Tyson would battle to be the back up PG play 15-18 min.

Just one man’s opinion.

Acuff is nothing like Noah. He’s tough and looks like a strong, right side finisher - very physical and 6-4 is a big advantage. He seems to be able to finish well through a lot of contact (at least on the right side). He passes up enough opportunities to drive left in the Michigan game where I suspect that’s not his MO. It’s a concern, but then again, with guys like Ace and Dylan to worry about, forcing Acuff left may get lost in the shuffle and be something we can exploit. You can tell how well the kid finishes in the highlights by the success he had driving through multiple defenders.

All good ! I truly hope you’re right! I see 2 guys same size same mid range game. No doubt they will have open look. One should run the second unit.

If I was building the roster I would have a 2 off the ball shooter and a stretch four to play along Dylan and Ace. Jwill and Tyson would battle to be the back up PG play 15-18 min.

Just one man’s opinion.
You are right, that would be ideal, especially since I'm not sure we want Ace as a stretch 4 in a three guard lineup. JWill and Dylan could work together with a another real shooter at guard if Ace could do stretch 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT