ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers Basketball lands Princeton transfer forward Zach Martini

Well, he is the first Princeton player to transfer to Rutgers in the modern era. So I'm guessing the total number of Princeton ->Rutgers MBAs is very very small.
Not sure why you'd say that, since Princeton doesn't even have a business school and RU's, while not at the very top, is certainly a very good BS and in the next tier (and in the top few in certain concentrations, like Pharma/Health Care).

https://www.business.rutgers.edu/?f...qOcEBr6MlBtKQDUm_Eql0pbfZJki_tpRJ5CT_6neliAp1

He was on a unit that was 25th in DREB%. I realize rebounding numbers are NOT adjusted for opponent.

Caden Pierce DREB% was 27.3%
Xavian Lee was 20.4%
back up C Collins was 28.5%

Martini was a microscopic 8.4%

I can gather Martini couldn't beat out Pierce and Lee for boards.

Hopefully when asked to be a primary or secondary rebounder his numbers will go up a lot.

To answer your question or comment on your point.....I suppose a legitimate concern

I suppose someone looking at it from the opposite glass empty angle would say how much better of an upgrade can we EXPECT over Oskar.
He mostly was out on the perimeter as a stretch 4, and not in the paint for any offensive boards that weren't long carroms.

I logged on to my fantasy baseball team and the free agent offensive player with the highest current ranking (based on 2024 stats) is Nick Martini!

Hope that means something. Yahoo has him as the 32nd best offensive player so far batting .333 4 r 2 hr 9 rbi.

• Wow
Reactions: runrutgersrun
I logged on to my fantasy baseball team and the free agent offensive player with the highest current ranking (based on 2024 stats) is Nick Martini!

Hope that means something. Yahoo has him as the 32nd best offensive player so far batting .333 4 r 2 hr 9 rbi.
In the pod they made the point that he was likely boxing out. Makes sense if he's playing the undersized 5 that his best role is to make sure the other team's center doesn't get the board. If so, that essentially makes him a good rebounder even if his teammates were the ones getting the ball.

I'd like to read his senior thesis, it sounds interesting:

From Carino: An English major who earned Academic All-Ivy honors and is polishing off a 60-page senior thesis on the work of the director David Lynch (Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks), Martini hosted nine of his teammates at his parents’ house for Thanksgiving dinner.

In the pod they made the point that he was likely boxing out. Makes sense if he's playing the undersized 5 that his best role is to make sure the other team's center doesn't get the board. If so, that essentially makes him a good rebounder even if his teammates were the ones getting the ball.
no boxing out in baseball.

To your point though I'd love to see rebounding stats for teams that BOX out and how the distribution of rebounds occurred with players that boxed out vs go straight to the rim (opposite of where shot went up).

Gavin tried real hard to box out and in many cases he did. I am not sure what net effect it had.

If I am playing Edey I want his defender boxing Edey out and not really think about actually getting the rebound

Wolf who people wanted played vs Princeton. Shot 0-8 with Martini guarding him.
I thought you were talking about Wolfolk! He shot 5-6 with Marini guarding him. I see you are talking about the center never to be thought coming to RU.

He was on a unit that was 25th in DREB%. I realize rebounding numbers are NOT adjusted for opponent.

Caden Pierce DREB% was 27.3%
Xavian Lee was 20.4%
back up C Collins was 28.5%

Martini was a microscopic 8.4%

I can gather Martini couldn't beat out Pierce and Lee for boards.

Hopefully when asked to be a primary or secondary rebounder his numbers will go up a lot.

To answer your question or comment on your point.....I suppose a legitimate concern

I suppose someone looking at it from the opposite glass empty angle would say how much better of an upgrade can we EXPECT over Oskar.
You've hit it. He's a slightly better shooting, downgrade on defense Oskar.

Problem is, he's not replacing Oskar in the rotation yet, right now he's replacing Mag or Hyatt.

Unless he was boxing out three guys, that is the most overblown thought Richie has been throwing around. The others had to box their own men out and get rebounds. The kid having to play against 5's is a legit reason. He's not as bad of a rebounder as last year makes him seem, but he still isn't good either.

There is 1 basketball and 3 guys that will play a lot together that are going to take shots. Having a player on the floor that will do everything else is vital.

Reactions: RoxboroughKnight
Per article: Though Martini's natural position is as a face-up four (more on that in a bit), Princeton needed him to man the post this past winter. He did a commendable job of it. In the Tigers’ victory over Rutgers, he defended Cliff Omoruyi and despite giving up four inches a good deal in the speed department, he held Omoruyi to 12 points and seven rebounds by winning the positioning battle.

So he'll be playing at his natural PF position here, should help his play and stats.

Reactions: RUDivision
You've hit it. He's a slightly better shooting, downgrade on defense Oskar.

Problem is, he's not replacing Oskar in the rotation yet, right now he's replacing Mag or Hyatt.

Before this year I would have agreed with you (along the Peter Kiss school of thinking). Of course Oskar would easily start at a mid major right? But then I saw Dean and Miller’s productivity this past season. Dean couldnt break the starting line up on a bad Oral Roberts team. This gives pause in my mind to the assumption that Oskar could’ve / would’ve earned anything close to 29.8 minutes of PT on a good Princeton team.

In his previous season, he averaged 2.8 rebounds in 14.3 minutes. That dropped (on a per minute basis) to 3.3 reb in 29.8 minutes this season, or close to have the rebound rate per minute.

Martini hit at least one 3 in all but two games this season (0-2 vs. Furman, 0-1 vs. Columbia).

For comparison, this season Mag gave us 3.8 boards per game in 26.8 minutes. Hyatt averaged 4.6 in 26 minutes. Martini was not too far off the Mag number. Hyatt had 8 games where he did not hit a 3 and his .312% was worse than Martini's.

Shelby is not happy.
Shelby will not be happy unless two starters are added and Martini/Acuff are the first two off the bench.

Neither is an adequate Big10 starter anywhere from the best to the 18th team.

In his previous season, he averaged 2.8 rebounds in 14.3 minutes. That dropped (on a per minute basis) to 3.3 reb in 29.8 minutes this season, or close to have the rebound rate per minute.

Martini hit at least one 3 in all but two games this season (0-2 vs. Furman, 0-1 vs. Columbia).

For comparison, this season Mag gave us 3.8 boards per game in 26.8 minutes. Hyatt averaged 4.6 in 26 minutes. Martini was not too far off the Mag number. Hyatt had 8 games where he did not hit a 3 and his .312% was worse than Martini's.

Even it all out by looking at the per 100 possession numbers.

For last season:
Hyatt: 10.3
Mag: 8.2
Palm: 7.7
Martini: 6.8

Career:
Hyatt: 10.8
Mag: 10.5
Martini: 8.5
Palm: 7.4

Martini's rebounding went down last season because he was asked to guard centers at a size disadvantage after Tosun Evbuomwan and Keeshawn Kellman graduated.

Last edited:
Unless he was boxing out three guys, that is the most overblown thought Richie has been throwing around. The others had to box their own men out and get rebounds. The kid having to play against 5's is a legit reason. He's not as bad of a rebounder as last year makes him seem, but he still isn't good either.
Another interesting story line to follow next year

Before this year I would have agreed with you (along the Peter Kiss school of thinking). Of course Oskar would easily start at a mid major right? But then I saw Dean and Miller’s productivity this past season. Dean couldnt break the starting line up on a bad Oral Roberts team. This gives pause in my mind to the assumption that Oskar could’ve / would’ve earned anything close to 29.8 minutes of PT on a good Princeton team.
It’s hard to ‘break the starting lineup’ when you’re not even on the team. Very hard.

Reactions: PaKnight
Shelby will not be happy unless two starters are added and Martini/Acuff are the first two off the bench.

Neither is an adequate Big10 starter anywhere from the best to the 18th team.
You think we’re adding 2 starters plus a center? That seems excessive.
It’s hard to ‘break the starting lineup’ when you’re not even on the team. Very hard.
My bad. He’s on a bad Charlotte team. Oral Roberts must be Miller’s team. The point stands. Neither do much at the lower level.

To be fair to Wolf though, 2 weeks earlier when Princeton played at Yale, Wolf shot 9-15 for 21 points and had 12 rebounds, while Martini was held to 3 points on 1-7 shooting and had 3 rebounds. So I guess it evened

Well, he is the first Princeton player to transfer to Rutgers in the modern era. So I'm guessing the total number of Princeton ->Rutgers MBAs is very very small.
What dumb logic. You actually think the number of players transferring to get a MBA is indicative of how many Ivy graduates seek a MBA degree from ANY school? Graduates go to RU business school because of its great reputation. Take some pride in RU.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
You think we’re adding 2 starters plus a center? That seems excessive.

My bad. He’s on a bad Charlotte team. Oral Roberts must be Miller’s team. The point stands. Neither do much at the lower level.
No, I don’t think we’re adding two starters and a center so that’s why I’m disappointed.

One of them, likely Martini, will start and I don’t think he’s remotely talented enough to be a quality Big10 starter. He’ll be eaten alive in the conference on D and won’t get the looks he got at Princeton. He’s GG with more experience and less talent and athleticism.

Being slightly better than Mag/Hyatt were last year isn't the right comparison.
They were obviously disappointment to what we hoped to achieve.

The correct comparison is to what the goal is out of the position/roster spot for next year.
I would hope the goal is much better than what Mag/Hyatt gave us.

Being slightly better than Mag/Hyatt were last year isn't the right comparison.
They were obviously disappointment to what we hoped to achieve.

The correct comparison is to what the goal is out of the position/roster spot for next year.
I would hope the goal is much better than what Mag/Hyatt gave us.
The bar needs to be raised. We arent going from 90 to 30, we are looking to go from 300 to 30.

Reactions: NickRU714
Guess it depends on what you thought of their games. I've always thought Oskar was better than Reiber who was a terrible shooter playing the role of a stretch 4/5. People thought he was good because of like 12 shots he took one year. You could tell Miller never belonged at this level.
Put Oskar in the Princeton system for four years, and yes, I almost guarantee he at least does what Martini did this year. Oskar against Princeton this year, 8 pts, 2 for 4 from 3, 2 rebounds, 2 assist, 3 steals. We'll never know, but it's fun to talk about.

So similar numbers to what we had, but at a lower level. Is he going to be one of the rare guys who improves against better comp? let's hope.

Factoring in the much better/more consistent 3Pt% and what his role will be on the team, I'd say this is a big boost.

Last year's starting F: Mag and Hyatt (when healthy/interested in playing, in Mag's case)

This year's starting F: Bailey and Martini, let's say. Far better on O, likely worse on D from a peak Mag, but I'd say a net +.

We still need a starting C from the portal and hopefully another wing/guard that can shoot the 3.

need shooters, good pick-up
:WooHoo:
I don’t believe the problem has been absence of shooters, but rather the inability to get them good looks. Spencer was able to use screens to get open, catch and shoot on the move but other players don’t have that talent, needing stand still open outside shots but our offense doesn’t create those opportunities. Paul, Caleb, GG, Oskar, Hyatt and now Martini are not capable of making jumpers on the move. Simpson couldn’t make them either.

Reactions: Kn0wledge
I'll say this about Oskar, he may be a perimeter player, but he has no compunction about mixing it up. Dude has a chip on his shoulder.
Oskar is loving proof that you can work on toughness. He came in soft, but by last year he was stepping in for chargers and mixing it up as much as anyone. Impressed with his tough ess honestly and willing ess to try to bang with bigger stronger players inside

He mostly was out on the perimeter as a stretch 4, and not in the paint for any offensive boards that weren't long carroms.
Everything I've read said he played the 5. On offense he was probably at the 3 point line most of the time, but if he was guarding the other team's 5 he should be grabbing more rebounds

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Oskar is loving proof that you can work on toughness. He came in soft, but by last year he was stepping in for chargers and mixing it up as much as anyone. Impressed with his tough ess honestly and willing ess to try to bang with bigger stronger players inside

Everything I've read said he played the 5. On offense he was probably at the 3 point line most of the time, but if he was guarding the other team's 5 he should be grabbing more rebounds

Looks like he was in a weird spot last year playing out of position. Carino's article calls him a "face up four", but last year he ended up as the tallest guy in the Tigers' small-ball rotation, which meant he drew the five as his defensive assignment. No idea what happened to Mason Hooks, who was apparently a promising 6-10 freshman in 2021-22 and doesn't look like he played this season or last.

At 6-7/235, that meant he was at a height disadvantage against many of his opponents - so the drop in DRb was somewhat expected. In his first two years, he averaged around 11.5 rb/100 possessions at the forward spot, before dropping to 6.8/100 possessions last year as the center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT