ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

Didn’t you know - it’s about Pike being an epic failure in failing to retain a 28% 3 point sharp shooter who only logged 17 mpg. Some of our fans proclaim isn’t leaving for an easier path to playing time and instead is seeking out a more competitive program.

Does it matter what his shooting percentage was?
He could have shot 0%.
Regardless, he appears to have been a player HC Pike really wanted and tried to retain for next year and beyond.
As opposed to Woolf or Simpson.

The arguments about the value of retaining or losing GG need to be had with HC Pike. He's the one you need to throw shooting percentages at.

Last edited:
FIFY.

To me, the gauge is how our team fares in Big Ten play. Great teams have an off game or two…and those that happen in March isn’t the body of work.
I can promise you (unless there are injuries) there will be a stretch in the middle of the year when Ace and Dylan will hit the freshman wall.

Didn’t you know - it’s about Pike being an epic failure in failing to retain a 28% 3 point sharp shooter who only logged 17 mpg. Some of our fans proclaim isn’t leaving for an easier path to playing time and instead is seeking out a more competitive program.
17 mpg? Pikes should look into an EV!!! 😜 @jtung230 , amirite?

Why do we keep using NIL as an excuse in a year where we bought and paid for the #2 recruiting class in the country? We continue to pay in the portal as well. If Pike is “the guy” and wins at a high level the NIL money will continue to grow. Crucial year for the coach.
I'm not sure what you mean by excuse honestly. Excuse for what?

If you mean for this most recent season...well we had 1 disappointing year. Does Pike need an excuse to have a rebuilding year 1 out of 4 years?

Or are you saying that the teams of the last 4 years weren't good enough for you? If that's the case, we definitely don't have the cash as of now that should cause a reasonable person to expect we'd be competing at an even higher level. Pike does not have the cash such that he needs an excuse for his performance.

Look, it was reported in NJ.com/Star Ledger that a primary reason we lost Paul and Cam was lack of NIL, and that RU is behind in NIL compared to our middle of the pack BIG peers, and way behind the blue bloods. Nobody knows the exact numbers, but there has been speculation that Dylan Harper is a unicorn because he came with his own NIL deal and had achieved a level of stardom prior to coming here, and his family is rich so they could afford to make decisions not 100% dominated by short term cash. I'm sure Ace is getting paid as are some others. But it's still not near what the competition has.

We have to hope we can ride our unicorn to a good season so that donors and fans get excited and we have more resources for the future.

Agree to disagree! You give minutes to your (guys)team next year in a big moment to gain experience that you hope manifests in the following year.
What big moment are you talking about? First off, on that front the team had completely checked out.

But second of all, despite the team having already packed it in, someone still had to ride out the ensuing 200 (40 x 5) minutes of the remaining games. It may as well be players who “could” return at that point. I’m not saying Pike wanted Gavin to leave, but I also don’t think the late playing time proves that he “begged” him to stay here. Someone had to play those minutes.

What big moment are you talking about? First off, on that front the team had completely checked out.

But second of all, despite the team having already packed it in, someone still had to ride out the ensuing 200 (40 x 5) minutes of the remaining games. It may as well be players who “could” return at that point. I’m not saying Pike wanted Gavin to leave, but I also don’t think the late playing time proves that he “begged” him to stay here. Someone had to play those minutes.
His first Big ten tournament ! Most coaches consider the conference tournaments and NCAA tournament big moments especially for freshman

He’s been trying to convince people that Wednesday BTT games between teams with no chance at making any postseason are “big games”.

Reactions: cm_13
Why do we keep using NIL as an excuse in a year where we bought and paid for the #2 recruiting class in the country? We continue to pay in the portal as well. If Pike is “the guy” and wins at a high level the NIL money will continue to grow. Crucial year for the coach.
NIL talk bores me, but it's brought up because it seems the majority of the $ for those two were going to them wherever they attended school, Adidas and Fanatics.

Tell that too NC State!

Your reaching big time here dude. These outbracket games are not “big” games even if once or twice in the whole history of the NCAAs a major conference team went the distance to win their conference tournament starting in the outbracket.

The bottom line is the season was over, and nothing about the line up in the game meant very much about the future. Oskar started the game and only ended up playing 3 minutes. Wolf played 9 minutes compared to Ogbole’s 6 minutes. Wolf is the one who moved on. Mag had quit the team. Somebody had to fill the 200 minutes. Gavin played more than some of the others because on that particular day he sucked a little bit less than everyone else, many of which had checked out. We scored 51 points in the game which had a final score that looked closer than it was. Maybe your right and Pike was devastated that Gavin left, but it had nothing to do one way or the other with Gavin’s playing time in that game.

Your reaching big time here dude. These outbracket games are not “big” games even if once or twice in the whole history of the NCAAs a major conference team went the distance to win their conference tournament starting in the outbracket.

The bottom line is the season was over, and nothing about the line up in the game meant very much about the future. Oskar started the game and only ended up playing 3 minutes. Wolf played 9 minutes compared to Ogbole’s 6 minutes. Wolf is the one who moved on. Mag had quit the team. Somebody had to fill the 200 minutes. Gavin played more than some of the others because on that particular day he sucked a little bit less than everyone else, many of which had checked out. We scored 51 points in the game which had a final score that looked closer than it was. Maybe your right and Pike was devastated that Gavin left, but it had nothing to do one way or the other with Gavin’s playing time in that game.

Gavin saw that he wasn’t going to be a starter until 25-26. Made a business decision. Pike fought to keep him, but he’s a bigger loss for 25-26 than next year and there’s plenty of time to find a replacement. But yeah, Gavin barely cracked a weak roster this year, doubt Pike cried himself to sleep.

Simply referring to who he chose to start and sit in the BIG10 tournament which is always a big game. Tournament games are big even if you don’t win the whole thing. Each win is more experience and more coaching in the system. If you don’t believe the big ten tournament or NCAA are big games then I am sorry. Gavin was starting next year period. Will never agree and that’s ok

Simply referring to who he chose to start and sit in the BIG10 tournament which is always a big game. Tournament games are big even if you don’t win the whole thing. Each win is more experience and more coaching in the system. If you don’t believe the big ten tournament or NCAA are big games then I am sorry. Gavin was starting next year period. Will never agree and that’s ok

Oskar started the game dude. Derek played 27 minutes - more than Davis who is returning. Wolf played more than Ogbole. Your analysis doesn’t make any sense.

Your opinion is really not shared by a majority of real Rutgers fans. It is pretty obvious you have never played a minute of competitive basketball because God
forbid you give another team credit for something. Great teams lose games in the tournament and lose games in a tough league. Every game is not perfect.
Your disingenuous citing of Pike’s first years record in the BiG 10 when he was digging us out from hell is simply not fair nor honest. What is the record the last 5 years ?
This year sucked and was a function of players who decided to shoot the worst % in the nation and guards that did not understand how to make the team better. They got open plenty and missed every open look over and over again. No one saw that coming or that Gavin was mostly struggling his freshman year. Almost the whole team played much worse than expectations except maybe JMike. Losing Ndongo , Cam and Paul hurt much more than was expected. Those are just facts you refuse to see.
Come back next year and watch how our team does with basically the same philosophy and see how things change. Not too much because of the coach but because of the players.
I've posted this in several threads. Not many are willing to respond to it. But here are your facts excluding those first two years against teams not ranked in the dregs.. Solid in conf. and piss poor out of conf. and tourney. Better than what we've had? Absolutely. Good enough? We'll see.
Pike-Team-Record.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by excuse honestly. Excuse for what?

If you mean for this most recent season...well we had 1 disappointing year. Does Pike need an excuse to have a rebuilding year 1 out of 4 years?

Or are you saying that the teams of the last 4 years weren't good enough for you? If that's the case, we definitely don't have the cash as of now that should cause a reasonable person to expect we'd be competing at an even higher level. Pike does not have the cash such that he needs an excuse for his performance.

Look, it was reported in NJ.com/Star Ledger that a primary reason we lost Paul and Cam was lack of NIL, and that RU is behind in NIL compared to our middle of the pack BIG peers, and way behind the blue bloods. Nobody knows the exact numbers, but there has been speculation that Dylan Harper is a unicorn because he came with his own NIL deal and had achieved a level of stardom prior to coming here, and his family is rich so they could afford to make decisions not 100% dominated by short term cash. I'm sure Ace is getting paid as are some others. But it's still not near what the competition has.

We have to hope we can ride our unicorn to a good season so that donors and fans get excited and we have more resources for the future.
I do not believe that for a instant. I still hold Paul left because of Pike bringing in Fernadez (and Paul even wanted back) and the word about Cam was going to a winner and some concerns about other things. Unless the "inside info" we pay for here isn't worth it and now the NSL is such an expert on Rutgers Athletics.

Personally I'll pass on buying a new team every and leave that for you guys. I'm not a pro sports fan. I like to invest my hard earned cash on structural things that were supposed to sustain and matter. Not rentals. (of course to each their own and I get that).

We have such a huge advantage in NIL it’s absurd. 20 miles from NYC. How many sports agencies and companies are there? Dylan and Ace are the blueprint. It’s not going to be just alums donating, it’s going to be big businesses invested in athletes. Do you want to fly from Bloomington to meet with your agent or go to an ad shoot - or hop on a train?

I've posted this in several threads. Not many are willing to respond to it. But here are your facts excluding those first two years against teams not ranked in the dregs.. Solid in conf. and piss poor out of conf. and tourney. Better than what we've had? Absolutely. Good enough? We'll see.
Pike-Team-Record.jpg
Why are we including AAC, A10, and Ivy of all things in qualified non conf. This is why it’s difficult to take these kind of posts seriously; it’s clearly a negative cherry pick.

Reactions: cm_13
I do not believe that for a instant. I still hold Paul left because of Pike bringing in Fernadez (and Paul even wanted back) and the word about Cam was going to a winner and some concerns about other things. Unless the "inside info" we pay for here isn't worth it and now the NSL is such an expert on Rutgers Athletics.

Personally I'll pass on buying a new team every and leave that for you guys. I'm not a pro sports fan. I like to invest my hard earned cash on structural things that were supposed to sustain and matter. Not rentals. (of course to each their own and I get that).

You didn’t think he was gone when he was handing out NIL funded gift cards to all of the support staff prior to his last home game? Or after watching the presser after the NIT loss?

We have such a huge advantage in NIL it’s absurd. 20 miles from NYC. How many sports agencies and companies are there? Dylan and Ace are the blueprint. It’s not going to be just alums donating, it’s going to be big businesses invested in athletes. Do you want to fly from Bloomington to meet with your agent or go to an ad shoot - or hop on a train?
That's our reason for hope. That's our upside if we continue to make incremental gains.

Pike-Team-Record.jpg

Why are we including AAC, A10, and Ivy of all things in qualified non conf. This is why it’s difficult to take these kind of posts seriously; it’s clearly a negative cherry pick.
Here are a couple of reasonable, unbiased ways to pick "qualified conferences".

(1) Just use power conferences:
18-19 = 8-16
19-20 = 12-10
20-21 = 13-11
21-22 = 13-12
22-23 = 12-13 (not editing OSU game)
23-24 = 8-16

Total = 66-78 (45.8%)
Total starting from 2019-20 = 58-62 (48.3%)

(2) Use some way to pick the top X conferences that are not biased why what games you remember losing. You used 8 qualified conferences, so here are the top 8 conferences averaged over the 2018-2024 seasons (not including B10, using Bart ratings. Exact methodology not important, what's import is that it's not based on how Rutgers did against them. You look at that AFTER selecting the conferences):

On second thought the averaging is more annoying than I thought and I don't have time right now, so I'll just provide a separate list of 8 for every season. Assume the other power conferences are included and then add:

18-19: Amer, WCC, MAC
19-20: Amer, WCC, A10
20-21: WCC, Amer, A10
21-22: Amer, MWC, WCC
22-23: MWC, Amer, WCC
23-24: MWC, A10, MVC

----

You also shouldn't do things like include "any tournament" if you are going to sort by conference throughout the rest of the data or look at things like "record in the last 3 games of the regular season" and other such nonsense that you were doing earlier in the year. At the sample sizes we're talking about the latter is about as relevant as "record in 9pm starts" or "record on Wednesdays"

Gavin was starting next year period. Will never agree and that’s ok

Just curious where you think Gavin was starting over season on RU?

• He wouldn't be a starter at center
  • He did not show any significant skills as a defender/rebounder who could handle inside at the 4.
  • He's not a lead guard type.

His options would be at the wing, some type of hybrid off guard or build core strength and change to more of a 4 role but have to prove competency inside on D.

Given full health - RU will have the following (plus other portals not yet known) .......

C - Portal, Og, Lathan
4 - Martini, Lathan
Wing - Ace, Dorch, Grant
G - JWill, Acuff
G - Dylan, JMike

The only spot where Gavin could start would essentially be at the 4 for Martini (or another portal). Given what we know about Pike as well as Gavin's defense.....not sure how you could make the statement that "Gavin was starting next year period". Sounds more like you might have some confirmation bias to support your view on Pike.

My opinion is that Pike wanted Gavin to return but could not guarantee a starting option. In their end of season recap - he may have referenced something like Gavin's need to keep developing, improving and competing etc. My further opinion is that Gavin and his handlers wanted more than Pike was willing to commit to next season.

Just curious where you think Gavin was starting over season on RU?

• He wouldn't be a starter at center
  • He did not show any significant skills as a defender/rebounder who could handle inside at the 4.
  • He's not a lead guard type.

His options would be at the wing, some type of hybrid off guard or build core strength and change to more of a 4 role but have to prove competency inside on D.

Given full health - RU will have the following (plus other portals not yet known) .......

C - Portal, Og, Lathan
4 - Martini, Lathan
Wing - Ace, Dorch, Grant
G - JWill, Acuff
G - Dylan, JMike

The only spot where Gavin could start would essentially be at the 4 for Martini (or another portal). Given what we know about Pike as well as Gavin's defense.....not sure how you could make the statement that "Gavin was starting next year period". Sounds more like you might have some confirmation bias to support your view on Pike.

My opinion is that Pike wanted Gavin to return but could not guarantee a starting option. In their end of season recap - he may have referenced something like Gavin's need to keep developing, improving and competing etc. My further opinion is that Gavin and his handlers wanted more than Pike was willing to commit to next season.
That makes no sense. A more logical conclusion is that Pike wanted Gavin to start over Ace Bailey but Gavin left anyway.

Here are a couple of reasonable, unbiased ways to pick "qualified conferences".

(1) Just use power conferences:
18-19 = 8-16
19-20 = 12-10
20-21 = 13-11
21-22 = 13-12
22-23 = 12-13 (not editing OSU game)
23-24 = 8-16

Total = 66-78 (45.8%)
Total starting from 2019-20 = 58-62 (48.3%)

(2) Use some way to pick the top X conferences that are not biased why what games you remember losing. You used 8 qualified conferences, so here are the top 8 conferences averaged over the 2018-2024 seasons (not including B10, using Bart ratings. Exact methodology not important, what's import is that it's not based on how Rutgers did against them. You look at that AFTER selecting the conferences):

On second thought the averaging is more annoying than I thought and I don't have time right now, so I'll just provide a separate list of 8 for every season. Assume the other power conferences are included and then add:

18-19: Amer, WCC, MAC
19-20: Amer, WCC, A10
20-21: WCC, Amer, A10
21-22: Amer, MWC, WCC
22-23: MWC, Amer, WCC
23-24: MWC, A10, MVC

----

You also shouldn't do things like include "any tournament" if you are going to sort by conference throughout the rest of the data or look at things like "record in the last 3 games of the regular season" and other such nonsense that you were doing earlier in the year. At the sample sizes we're talking about the latter is about as relevant as "record in 9pm starts" or "record on Wednesdays"
There's no bias in excluding the the MAC, Metro, Patriot, Colonial, etc. Playing teams like Princeton, St. Bon, Temple, UMass, vs. FDU, St. Peter's, Bryant matters without going into some extreme "adjusted efficiency" blah blah blah.
It was a simple scorecard and don't accuse me of Cherry Picking to make a point. Every analysis has its experts making suggestions to tweak it. Take a look at it any way you want. Do your own work. That's fine.
I thought the list was reasonable and unbiased. Now you have to be a jerk and use the words Annoying and nonsense. So you sir can kiss my ass. (and show me exactly where I used the last three games. IIRC if may have used last 6 or 7. ).

Reactions: Fat Koko
You didn’t think he was gone when he was handing out NIL funded gift cards to all of the support staff prior to his last home game? Or after watching the presser after the NIT loss?
Actually I wasn't so sure but I get what you are saying..except the NIL funded part (which came from his deal here not elsewhere). Why the hell wouldn't he be down after that Hofstra game much less his terrible end of year performance. Either way I didn't see him chasing the $. But perhaps that also weighed in as offers came thru.

Actually I wasn't so sure but I get what you are saying..except the NIL funded part (which came from his deal here not elsewhere). Why the hell wouldn't he be down after that Hofstra game much less his terrible end of year performance. Either way I didn't see him chasing the $. But perhaps that also weighed in as offers came thru.
I guess Paul and his family are rich (living it up in Bayonne). They don't care about life changing amounts of money like the $500k that was promised to him by Washington. Obviously we are super out of touch for thinking that money matters to people. I guess people are willing pass up hundreds of thousands of dollars all the time just to be nice and I just didn't realize it. I feel so dumb for having thought money matters.

And also, all those stories that came out saying that Paul was very upset when the promised NIL payday didn't arrive, and it was only half of the $500k that was promised. Must be fake news plants put out there by Pike to cover how bad a coach he is. It's all so logical.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I guess Paul and his family are rich (living it up in Bayonne). They don't care about life changing amounts of money like the $500k that was promised to him by Washington. Obviously we are super out of touch for thinking that money matters to people. I guess people are willing pass up hundreds of thousands of dollars all the time just to be nice and I just didn't realize it. I feel so dumb for having thought money matters.

And also, all those stories that came out saying that Paul was very upset when the promised NIL payday didn't arrive, and it was only half of the $500k that was promised. Must be fake news plants put out there by Pike to cover how bad a coach he is. It's all so logical.

Paul played injured all season too. He gave us 4 years. Honored his commitment and graduated. FFS, the Covid year gave him a chance to get life changing money. We’d all jump at that chance.

Oh…and Paul also gave away a ton of his NIL money.

Reactions: Eagleton96

He left RU because he lost his job. After giving away his NIL money here the Bayonne Bezzo’s decided he could get more money to donate at Wash. It was important for him to go to a lesser conference and avg 5 /3/3. The other possibility his NIL came up short at Wash. Wish him the best moving forward.

There's no bias in excluding the the MAC, Metro, Patriot, Colonial, etc. Playing teams like Princeton, St. Bon, Temple, UMass, vs. FDU, St. Peter's, Bryant matters without going into some extreme "adjusted efficiency" blah blah blah.
It was a simple scorecard and don't accuse me of Cherry Picking to make a point.
I am going to accuse you of cherry picking to make a point. That's what you're doing. It's evident in the fact that you included the Ivy League for some reason. It's evident in the fact that you included "any tournament" so you can throw in Hofstra when we lose. To be clear I don't think you're doing it on purpose; I think you fool yourself as well.
Every analysis has its experts making suggestions to tweak it. Take a look at it any way you want. Do your own work. That's fine.
I did some of my own work. It's included in the post. Did you read it?
I thought the list was reasonable and unbiased. Now you have to be a jerk and use the words Annoying and nonsense.
Again, did you read the post? The word annoying doesn't even refer to you or any person at all so not sure how that bothers you. Yes, I think some of the cherry picking makes things nonsense. Deal with it.
So you sir can kiss my ass.
For someone so easily offended by the word "annoying" it really does not take much to get you to reciprocate (what you perceive as) a personal attack.
(and show me exactly where I used the last three games. IIRC if may have used last 6 or 7. ).
Ok, maybe it was last six lol. Do you think that changes my point?

I am going to accuse you of cherry picking to make a point. That's what you're doing. It's evident in the fact that you included the Ivy League for some reason. It's evident in the fact that you included "any tournament" so you can throw in Hofstra when we lose. To be clear I don't think you're doing it on purpose; I think you fool yourself as well.

I did some of my own work. It's included in the post. Did you read it?

Again, did you read the post? The word annoying doesn't even refer to you or any person at all so not sure how that bothers you. Yes, I think some of the cherry picking makes things nonsense. Deal with it.

For someone so easily offended by the word "annoying" it really does not take much to get you to reciprocate (what you perceive as) a personal attack.

Ok, maybe it was last six lol. Do you think that changes my point?
Princeton was 24-5 and an NIT team this year by all measures a quality opponent. The only cherry picking is you claiming not to use the NIT 1 of only 2 postseason tournaments that exist. 😂.

If you want to be technical there are 3 and the most important to any program Conference tournaments, NIT, and NCAA .

Teams works all year to prepare for those 3 and continue to get better in hopes to have post season success . The schedules are built non conference first to prepare for conference play. Conference schedule to prepare for tournament play.

You did all that work and then pulled out a season to show Pike is a below 500 coach. 😂 😆 😆

Great work

Princeton was 24-5 and an NIT team this year by all measures a quality opponent. The only cherry picking is you claiming not to use the NIT 1 of only 2 postseason tournaments that exist. 😂.

If you want to be technical there are 3 and the most important to any program Conference tournaments, NIT, and NCAA .

Teams works all year to prepare for those 3 and continue to get better in hopes to have post season success . The schedules are built non conference first to prepare for conference play. Conference schedule to prepare for tournament play.

You did all that work and then pulled out a season to show Pike is a below 500 coach. 😂 😆 😆

Great work
What?

I’m assuming that’s conference. .500 in the conference isn’t really a bad mark given where we were.
It's vs. all power conference teams. It puts us right around an avg power team over that span I would say (obv below .500 would indicate below avg but the B10 is a tougher than avg power conf so SOS will be above avg) esp starting from 19-20 as opposed to 18-19.

RUTrollDivision is agruing against some strawman or other.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT