ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Hosting Long Beach State Transfer Jadon Jones

crazy how Pike seems to be doing much better this year than last year in the portal.

granted I am sure some of it has to do with the prospect of playing with the incoming freshman

but I also wonder how much it has to do with the fact the Pike had TIME to get the pieces in place - wasnt informed of two late transfers-out AT THE 11TH HOUR like last year
He learned the hard way !
Plus, he knows what this season means

Reactions: soundcrib
sharpshooter????

Follow Me Please GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and RuSnp
That's what I've been saying. Most of these guys play 1-4 somewhat interchangeably. There would be no room for a GG to get big minutes to develop on a team like this.
Gavin could play 2 or 3. If Gavin ends up being a 38-40% 3 pt shooting guy and his defense improves a lot there is a fit everywhere for someone with his length and offensive skills.

Now I am very unsure the above will happen.

Gavin could play 2 or 3. If Gavin ends up being a 38-40% 3 pt shooting guy and his defense improves a lot there is a fit everywhere for someone with his length and offensive skills.

Now I am very unsure the above will happen.
You can have three of Gavin, Derkack, Jones, Acuff for one year, for next year. Which 3 do you choose?

You need a roster of 13 scholarship players. You never know when injury or illness will strike!

You can have three of Gavin, Derkack, Jones, Acuff for one year, for next year. Which 3 do you choose?
I have absolutely no idea.......
Given
JWill 28 JaMike 12
Harper 32 Dercack 8
Jones 24 Dercack 16
Ace 22 Martini 18
Ogobole 16 Sommerville 16 Ace 8

I might roll the dice for Gavin.

If we didn't have so many guys in the fold I definitely wouldn't take Gavin.

The only 2 players to me that are real are jWill and JaMike. All others are fictional characters to me until November. This is all guessing to me.

One thing I am certain of.....if we land JadOn Jones I would trade any of the pieces for Cliff. Wouldn't think twice.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Say we land him......

Are we having a 8 man rotation of everyone playing 20 minutes for the non center spots?
Would JaMike be out of the rotation
Did Dercack come to be a practce player?
Does Acuff go from 8th highest scorer to playing 15 minutes

Pike has gone from being too nice and not wanting to upset players by giving competition to throwing a bunch of guys in to a pit and seeing who the survivors are almost overnight.

Plus it would be only 1 spot for a center.
There’s a 0% chance it’s an equal rotation of 20 min a piece.

Harper and ace are probably 28-30 minute guys per game and you go from there.

jmike is prolly getting 8-10 min per game

Martini and extra shooter probably 15 mpg

Acuff jwill dercack 20-22 mpg

Could always fluctuate game to game but I don’t think it’s as hard to distribute minutes as ppl think

The important thing is you’ve brought in two guys who previously started in martini and dercack that have openly embraced taking a team role to win

was sort of being facetious....

going on your math...if we assume Ace isn't playing the 5 (I am not ready to make that assumption) AND Harper and Ace are locked in to 30 minutes each you have 100 minutes for all the rest.

That also means Dortch and Grant are out of the rotation which I guess in 2024 world it is OK.

was sort of being facetious....

going on your math...if we assume Ace isn't playing the 5 (I am not ready to make that assumption) AND Harper and Ace are locked in to 30 minutes each you have 100 minutes for all the rest.

That also means Dortch and Grant are out of the rotation which I guess in 2024 world it is OK.
Crazy thought but on top 20 teams the freshmen ranked in the ball park of those guys typically play sparingly or red shirt

Maybe jmike doesn’t play and red shirts who knows instead

Crazy thought but on top 20 teams the freshmen ranked in the ball park of those guys typically play sparingly or red shirt

This is all in theory...If we are being realistic....we are talking about 8 guys i think. What are the odds all 8 will be healthy for a given game in January? 40%? maybe even lower

If all these guys are hits, we won't be thinking the season is done if anyone goes dowmn.

I hadn't thought of that but I wonder if that's a possibility. I guess if the team has amazingly good health, you could make the argument that he doesn't need to play. But in this day and age with the portal, I'm not sure saving a guy's eligibility makes any sense. May as well use him while you know you've got him.

Say we land him......

Are we having a 8 man rotation of everyone playing 20 minutes for the non center spots?
Would JaMike be out of the rotation
Did Dercack come to be a practce player?
Does Acuff go from 8th highest scorer to playing 15 minutes

Pike has gone from being too nice and not wanting to upset players by giving competition to throwing a bunch of guys in to a pit and seeing who the survivors are almost overnight.

Plus it would be only 1 spot for a center.
I don't get it. we'll see a three-guard squad at times, plus Ace and a center TBD. But with this guy, Derkack and Acuff...seeming to fill the same roles...and does this mean Martini, Dortch and Grant are our 4s ?

Seems like not enough minutes for Acuff, Derkack, Jones and Davis to share.

With this roster config, Gavin would be a stretch 4 next year.
can we use one of the last spots and bring back Reiber....NIL deal of a weekly free trip to Stuff Yer Face and duke him $5,000 to advertise a Toto concert at College Avenue Gym

I don't get it. we'll see a three-guard squad at times, plus Ace and a center TBD. But with this guy, Derkack and Acuff...seeming to fill the same roles...and does this mean Martini, Dortch and Grant are our 4s ?

Seems like not enough minutes for Acuff, Derkack, Jones and Davis to share.
As I mentioned before I think it’s at least remotely possibly Davis takes a red shirt to develop to be a starter next year or took a larger role as an upperclassmen possibly alongside Dercack and the returning guys from this freshmen class

This is a good problem to have in my opinion. Everyone’s worried about who’s going to get minutes … when have we had a conversation about Rutgers basketball and worrying who’s going to get enough PT?

Martini and Dercack imo seem 100% invested in winning and filling whatever role that equals.

Based on roster construction it’s looking more to me like you’re going to see a lot of 4 out offense and speed and probably a combo of ace/martini at your 4 spot for those 40 minutes

Martini probably gets 15 min a game at the 4 and ace will get his 30 minutes at some combo of the 3-4

I think it’s probably certain dortch is an end of bench redshirt and at least possible either jmike or grant do the same

Reactions: Eagleton96
Too many 3s is not a good problem to have if you don't have a solid 4 and 5.

And it isn't good for chemistry and keeping guys for the following year

Too many 3s is not a good problem to have if you don't have a solid 4 and 5.

And it isn't good for chemistry and keeping guys for the following year
UConn didn’t have a defined 4 and it seemed to work out pretty well for them

Purdue platooned Gilles and Kaufman renn and Gilles could easily be viewed as a 3 on a lot of rosters

Alabama played a 4 guard lineup

Illinois center was Hawkins and then a bunch of guys under 6-8

You don’t need two giants in college basketball. If 1-4 are willing rebounders and big for guards which our guys we are bringing in ARE tall for guards then you can get by

I think we have to trust pikes vision because he has a reason these are the guys he’s bringing in

We should only be looking for one C in the portal, plus a more proven outside shooter at a wing position. Jones is a perfect candidate for the shooter role. Lathan and Ogbole are perfectly as the next two C.

Reactions: Scangg
UConn didn’t have a defined 4 and it seemed to work out pretty well for them

Purdue platooned Gilles and Kaufman renn and Gilles could easily be viewed as a 3 on a lot of rosters

Alabama played a 4 guard lineup

Illinois center was Hawkins and then a bunch of guys under 6-8

You don’t need two giants in college basketball. If 1-4 are willing rebounders and big for guards which our guys we are bringing in ARE tall for guards then you can get by

I think we have to trust pikes vision because he has a reason these are the guys he’s bringing in
UConn had great shooters to compensate, Purdue had an unstoppable 5 who could also pass to open shooters and Alabama had superior athleticism and length. We won't have any of that. You can't reasonably compare us to Final Four teams. I will buy your Illinois analogy though. Or typical Iowa.

I just think we've got too many of the same, even more so if Jones commits.

Reactions: RUDivision
UConn had great shooters to compensate, Purdue had an unstoppable 5 who could also pass to open shooters and Alabama had superior athleticism and length. We won't have any of that. You can't reasonably compare us to Final Four teams. I will buy your Illinois analogy though. Or typical Iowa.

Is this team not going to have superior athleticism and length?

Jmike wants to play with his high school teammate Bailey and then probably transfer back to a school in the Georgia area.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Could probably start a lot of games. Looks like he could play the role of a true shooting guard.

I think JaMichael will be the one on the bench never taking off his warm up suit.
Exactly, if we add Jones, then Harper, JWill, Acuff, Derkack, and Jones are all better and above JMike in the rotation. Not saying he won’t play, but likely he gets the least amount of minutes and likely pretty limited minutes compared to the others if there is not enough to go around.

you are forgetting 2 things.....1. who our coach is and what JaMike brings to the table 2. who he is friends with

#1 far more important than #2
He will play, he’ll just play the least amount of all the guards. JMike is not getting more minutes than Acuff and Derkack, both are better players than JMike. If we add Jones he’s also ahead of JMike, he’ll play but he’ll be the low man on the totem pole for sure.

He will play, he’ll just play the least amount of all the guards. JMike is not getting more minutes than Acuff and Derkack, both are better players than JMike. If we add Jones he’s also ahead of JMike, he’ll play but he’ll be the low man on the totem pole for sure.
On paper. Acuff and Derkack being called up from AAA. I think they will be better, but dont know.

in a perfect world i envision us playing a very similar style to what illinois was doing this year which as an opposing fan i admit i enjoyed watching

i can envision harper and bailey being a more talented version of domask and shannon in terms of nba ceiling so therefore more talented

Reactions: Scarlet83
in a perfect world i envision us playing a very similar style to what illinois was doing this year which as an opposing fan i admit i enjoyed watching

i can envision harper and bailey being a more talented version of domask and shannon in terms of nba ceiling so therefore more talented
I think that's an overreach....Bailey will not be Shannon and if Harper comes in as good as Domask I would be very surprised. He has a higher ceiling but if I got to pick between those pairs accounting also for experience I'd take the Illinois duo.

True

On paper. Acuff and Derkack being called up from AAA. I think they will be better, but dont know.
They’re better, so is Jones. Don’t forget about JMike’s shooting and that he was a part of the Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight of last season. To say that JMike had his struggles from the free throw line is an understatement. These incoming transfer guards (if we also land Jones) are not coming here to be the 4th, 5th, and 6th guards in the rotation while JMike is the number 3 guard in the rotation. I like JMike and the energy he brings and he should get minutes and I am sure he’ll be in the rotation, but he’s still developing and will be down a little lower in the pecking order for minutes below these transfers. If we get Jones, my guess is we have 6 guards in the rotation (some will be multi positional to allow for either 2, 3 or even 4 on the floor in small doses), then Bailey, Martini, a transfer portal center and Somerville. Periodic usage for Dortch, Grant and Ogbole depending upon injuries, matchups, foul trouble, etc., but not likely part of a regular rotation.

Jmike wants to play with his high school teammate Bailey and then probably transfer back to a school in the Georgia area.

I was having the same thought.

Starter as a freshman to 12th man/potentially redshirt? Ace woupd be gone to the NBA?
Wouldn't write his name in pen for 2025-2026.

I would also imagine he didn't envision spending his year as Ace's college teammate mostly on the bench.

Pike can't rest until there is a Jaden/Jadon Jones on the roster.

The pattern is clear. We are going after guys that starred at the mid-major level. The higher end P5 portal transfers are out of our NIL budget. That said, I like everyone Pike has brought in and would be very happy with this young man as well. Get this done and then full focus can be on a center.
I keep hearing NIL money is not an issue.

I understand the landscape has done a 180 over the past few years.....I think being nice was part of the secret sauce.

Pike has definitely changed, but I think he had to in this new world.

That being said you could have a 13 man roster of 13 guys who are expecting to play Day 1 and only 9 or 10 are.
This is a weird concern after last year when everyone on the roster was a disappointment . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT