ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-Maryland at Yankee Stadium, per source

Sounds like making Julie the fall person. Not buying it. Awful decision by RU. Just awful. We are in the B1G. Act it. No worse place to watch a game and a dangerous turf.

Sounds like making Julie the fall person. Not buying it. Awful decision by RU. Just awful. We are in the B1G. Act it. No worse place to watch a game and a dangerous turf.
The FOIA request is already in from NJ.com for the contract, I can guarantee that. Unless Duggan's source is bullshit, there is no way someone in the AD would have tried to pin this on Julie if it wasn't actually true. It will come out in a second.

Reactions: vkj91
So RU kept this quiet for two years?

Two days after floating trial ballon of RU home game being switched and fans reacting vehmently against idea.

Hey we can still blame Julie right?

Curious timing to say the least.

Maryland in November? Awful, just awful, there MIGHT be 20,000 people in the stands for this game

The turnout is going to be embarrassing and will not look well. I can already see the articles and headlines snickering at our crowd at this game given the fact that we are trying to establish ourselves as "NYC's team".

Reactions: MoobyCow
I am ok with this. One game a year at the Met - it means major money. "

Are games at Yankee Stadium that much of a money maker? I can't see it at 40,000 seating.

But I'm not sure how playing at MetLife or Yankee Stadium means major money. The math just doesn't support it.

In 2014 (the last year figures are available for) Rutgers earned an average of $1.6 MM for each home game. That is the sum of ticket sales + parking/concessions + an estimate for in-stadium advertising, minus the sum of game day expenses + 1/7 total guarantees paid to visiting teams. But Rutgers doesn't pay guarantees to visiting conference teams, so that expense doesn't apply to conference games. (Ticket prices are also above average for conference games, but for the purposes of this calculation, we'll assume all games earn the average in ticket sales.) So for a conference game, Rutgers earns about $1.8 MM.

According the the NJ.com article linked earlier in this thread, Rutgers was paid $2.7 MM to play the game at the Meadowlands in 2010. Take away the $1.8 that Rutgers would have earned from a home game, and that means Rutgers got an additional $900K to play at the Meadowlands. But then you also have to take away the increased travel expenses. Average travel expenses for a road game are $360K. But the average road game also includes air travel and additional hotel. On the other hand, Rutgers provided free buses for students to attend the Meadowlands game, and even without air travel will need to transport the team, equipment, band, cheerleaders, etc, to a game at the Meadowlands or Yankee Stadium. So lets assume travel costs for a game at the Meadowlands is just over 1/4 that of an average road game, 100K to make the math easy.

So the net profit to Rutgers to play a similar game at the Meadowlands is $800K. Hardly what I would call "major money" worth pissing off 90% of your season ticket base. And Yankee Stadium is much smaller than MetLife, so they can't sell as many tickets to reach the same payout as the Meadowlands (plus many more people will use public transportation or park in non-Yankee-controlled lots, so their parking revenue will be much less). So what will be the net profit on a game at Yankee Stadium, $400K? That's a one-half-of-one-percent increase in revenue for the athletic department. That is a rounding error on the financial statements.

Reactions: MozRU
So RU kept this quiet for two years?

Two days after floating trial ballon of RU home game being switched and fans reacting vehmently against idea.

Hey we can still blame Julie right?

Curious timing to say the least.
There was a news story two weeks ago about Rutgers scheduled games with Buffalo and also moving the dates of the Temple games.

The news story noted that "The agreement was reached on May 15, 2015, according to the contract, which was signed by then-Rutgers athletics director Julie Hermann. Buffalo athletics director Allen Green, who was promoted to the position in November, did not sign until last month."

There isn't any obligation for Rutgers to announce these until they choose to, if they choose to. They just need to respond to open records requests, which they have done, and that's how contracts like this get released. As I said earlier, I guarantee the request for the contract for this game has already been filed.

Reactions: BLewis1968
There was a news story two weeks ago about Rutgers scheduled games with Buffalo and also moving the dates of the Temple games.

The news story noted that "The agreement was reached on May 15, 2015, according to the contract, which was signed by then-Rutgers athletics director Julie Hermann. Buffalo athletics director Allen Green, who was promoted to the position in November, did not sign until last month."

There isn't any obligation for Rutgers to announce these until they choose to, if they choose to. They just need to respond to open records requests, which they have done, and that's how contracts like this get released. As I said earlier, I guarantee the request for the contract for this game has already been filed.

So was not actually signed off until last month. Thank you!!!

So was not actually signed off until last month. Thank you!!!
.... by the other side. Also, signature does not determine effective date. Contract itself will designate what is the effective date and when up to how long it can be signed.

In the done deal Dunleavy article link Knight Shift provided:
>Ash's predecessor, Kyle Flood, was a New York native and lifelong Yankees fan who was known to favor such an opportunity.<

To think I defended him before realizing how bad for RU he really was.:chairshot:

I agree.

From talking with Hobbs briefly at a fundraising event, he seemed like a really honest guy. I asked him if he feels like the media has treated him better than his predecessor. He said that he is always honest with the media and will tell them everything he can, if he can. That when the APR downgrade happened a reporter asked if he was mad at the headline, and Hobbs said no. That's who we are right now and we have to get better.

All of that to say he has done nothing to show that he would try to mislead us so far, so I trust him. And if we get more money out of it that can go towards the R B1G Build Fund, that's pretty great too.

Ok. Can we stop the nonsense about how this is what Delaney and the B1G want, or that this is what it takes to make us relevant in NYC?

The B1G had Nothing to do with this. This is all on Rutgers. Had this come out last year I would have moved to the fire Flood and Julie camp much sooner.

That's a good plan. It makes complete sense to make a statement to Ash and Hobbs for something that Julie and Flood set-up. Completely rational. Oh and while we are at it let's punish the players and team for something that was completely out of their control.
No one is being punished. I will pay for my tickets and make my donations, but a statement by the fans to underline how unhappy this makes us is not a bad thing. And don't worry about the players. They can handle it.

The important thing is that this does not become a regular thing.

Okay, now that you guys have your panties all twisted. 2017 is when the next World Cup of Baseball or whatever the F it's called is played. This thing pushes the MLB season out a week & causes the World Series to expand into November. Remember Mr November?

No way the Yankees can guarantee the field for November 4, 2017 until they are out of playoff contention

Ok. Can we stop the nonsense about how this is what Delaney and the B1G want, or that this is what it takes to make us relevant in NYC?

The B1G had Nothing to do with this. This is all on Rutgers. Had this come out last year I would have moved to the fire Flood and Julie camp much sooner.
(2013 article) Dienhart: Pinstripe Bowl deal helps grow Big Ten brand « Big Ten Network
>And, according to a report, the deal announced today also will include “additional future conference events” at venerable Yankee Stadium.<
http://btn.com/2013/06/03/dienhart-pinstripe-bowl-deal-helps-grow-big-ten-brand/

No, bad idea, Hobbs must get out of this. We cannot play Big 10 home games at Yankee stadium. We are playing with the big boys now. OSU does not play games in baseball stadiums. We are in the same division as them, we need to act like it. I don't care how many Rutgers days, or how many first pitches Ash and Hobbs throw out at yankee stadium, Rutgers must not do this. Let Syracuse, Uconn, and army play these games.

These games are an insult to season ticket holders. Bad place to watch a game, if you sit on the 35 at HPSS, you will be sitting in the endzone at Yankee stadium. No tailgating, bad atmosphere.

Why in the world would Rutgers take a Big 10 home game, a game we desperately will need to win, and turn it into a neutral site game at a bad place for football. Sorry, this game makes no sense on any level.

I'm all for having a neutral sight game at Yankee stadium but not a conference home game. It was kind of cool playing army there. Maybe play Syracuse or Buffalo there for a battle for NYC game.

What if it is a huge success? - what if ....
it is a full house - with gorgeous weather
- on TV as a highly promoted 'showcased' game
- if the game actually meant something significant
- if it was exciting & well played & Rutgers proves to be decidedly superior
.. and a huge bunch of high caliber recruits from around the country were in on visits - saw the game & were just delirious with the atmosphere - texting selfies back home saying "I'm in YANKEE STADIUM" ... and - get convinced that the Rutgers Program is the choice for them?

Who knows how it will work out, but you can be certain if it happens, it is not just going to be some minimal publicity, poorly executed hot mess that is little more than an "alternate venue" game - - that is only distinguished by crappy sight-lines for many seats and a logistical nightmare.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Of course it was Flood. And his supporters claimed he was going to get another P5 job!

This is so stupid for so many reasons. Big teams do NOT give up home games, ever. If we want to recruit against Michigan how the eff is this going to help the cause? This makes us look incredibly small time.

There is no novelty. There is a bowl game there, we played in it twice and played Army there. This isn't like Wrigley Field where the offense could only go one way so you get a little national interest to see how that works.

If they wanted to do this, here is a solution, have a one time game against Cuse or someone else with some local fans, non conference, not a home game. That fans would like.

And I live closer to the Bronx, but for me, home games are played in Piscataway, the end.

Even if not Hobbs' choice, he needs to manage this. There will be 20k there if we are not undefeated or close to it and justifiably so. This is not how you build a fanbase.

I'm just happy it isn't Ohio State, Penn State or Michigan @ Yankee Stadium...it would be like giving up a home game for a road game. I'll likely go, as my daughter is a UMD alum, living in the city. We'll make it a day. Yes, I'd prefer all home games to be on campus, but these things aren't my choice.

Why not have EVERY Rutgers-Maryland game at Yankee stadium.. like Florida-Georgia and Texas-Oklahoma... or make it The Linc.

Giving up home games in an on-campus football stadium to go play in a baseball stadium in the Bronx.. makes no sense.

Smart move by RU administration here. As Knute Rockne said, if you want to be Americas team you gotta play in NYC

The turnout is going to be embarrassing and will not look well. I can already see the articles and headlines snickering at our crowd at this game given the fact that we are trying to establish ourselves as "NYC's team".

So let me get this straight, 3 weeks ago u were on here yelling at me about allow Rutgers has more fans in the city than any other school and now ur saying that we will have an embarrassing turnout since the game is being played in the city?.... I think u just like arguing

Why not have EVERY Rutgers-Maryland game at Yankee stadium.. like Florida-Georgia and Texas-Oklahoma... or make it The Linc.

Giving up home games in an on-campus football stadium to go play in a baseball stadium in the Bronx.. makes no sense.

I have a better idea. Let's play ALL the PSU games at LFF.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
So let me get this straight, 3 weeks ago u were on here yelling at me about allow Rutgers has more fans in the city than any other school and now ur saying that we will have an embarrassing turnout since the game is being played in the city?.... I think u just like arguing
RU has more fans in NYC then any other School and unlike you understand the meaning of home field advantage along with the joy of tailgating with other RU fans at Rutgers Stadium.

Just because a RU FB Fan lives in the city doesn't mean he prefers Yankee Stadium to Rutgers Stadium and isn't upset that a home game will be held there.

Furthermore Maryland is the least attractive league game. There is no buzz about playing Maryland anywhere let alone a baseball stadium well over an hour away from campus. It will not fill and it will look like an embarrassment. What a joke. Students...lmfao, are they going to pay them to go to this
Have to disagree with you on this Bac. Maryland is more of a rival than Indiana because we're usually battling them for recruits.

I'll go to a football game at Yankee Stadium right after Michigan plays a home game against Indiana at Comerica Park in Detroit.

RU has more fans in NYC then any other School and unlike you understand the meaning of home field advantage along with the joy of tailgating with other RU fans at Rutgers Stadium.

Just because a RU FB Fan lives in the city doesn't mean he prefers Yankee Stadium to Rutgers Stadium and isn't upset that a home game will be held there.

That's not at all what I was saying. Read what I wrote. I was responding to the fact that the same poster who was going on and on less than a month ago about how many RU fans are in NYC is now saying we will have an embarrassing turnout... Which one is it is my question? If ND, Michigan, PSU, Ohio State, etc played a game in NYC no matter what time of year the place would be sold out... personally, I think it's a good move for RU to expand the brand.

Other big ten schools play neutral site game often... Maryland did it last year, hell Indiana played a HOME GAME in Washington DC a few years back, it's a good payday and RU needs as much money as we can get

Reactions: chrisru99
That's not at all what I was saying. Read what I wrote. I was responding to the fact that the same poster who was going on and on less than a month ago about how many RU fans are in NYC is now saying we will have an embarrassing turnout... Which one is it is my question? If ND, Michigan, PSU, Ohio State, etc played a game in NYC no matter what time of year the place would be sold out... personally, I think it's a good move for RU to expand the brand.

Other big ten schools play neutral site game often... Maryland did it last year, hell Indiana played a HOME GAME in Washington DC a few years back, it's a good payday and RU needs as much money as we can get

Not sure what one has to do with tbe other..

Of course, if ND, OSU, etc play at YS..it will sell out..how many "home games" do they play in the area?? That will be an event to them. They wont get to see them play every 3 weeks.

While this certainly has next to zero appeal to the Rutgers fan base - and life could go on just fine without it - Those responsible for marketing Rutgers Football & Rutgers in general, and those focused on marketing for the B1G have to be excited about the attention getting potential of this game - if done right (key is 'done right')

Yes, many look at this as if they have just had a bag of lemons dropped on their doorstep - but if it is (actually was already) a done deal -then what's the best lemonade recipe?

-there are many promotional angles - here is just one -
The game that has become widely known as "The Greatest Game Ever Played" -
- The 1958 National Football League Championship Game - was played on December 28 at Yankee Stadium in New York City
In a historic battle between Maryland's Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, the final score was Baltimore Colts 23, New York Giants 17
And now, in the present day Yankee Stadium, the New York area's representative in the B1G -the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers University
- will seek to reverse the outcome of that legendary battle with a team from Maryland.

- segments of the Rutgers season ticket fan base will not find it appealing - but
If this game is given strong & thorough preparation, if the weather is decent, if it is showcased by the B1G, the networks, both universities and given huge PR - and if it is a good game with Rutgers prevailing in spectacular fashion - it becomes a huge plus
- also think about how it will be dazzling to visiting recruits - if it is really well done - and Rutgers wins with style
Recruits from around the country will be wowed at the idea of coming in to see a football game at YANKEE STADIUM - and if this is a hyped & network showcased game - recruits will be pondering the prospect of maybe they could some day be playing on national TV in YANKEE STADIUM....

The whole key - the difference between 'spectacular' and 'dud' will be the prep & promotion & execution & Rutgers winning in style.

Dude I'll have what you are smoking. That a whole bunch of complete horse crap.

If you haven't noticed there has been zero excitement for the Pinstripe Bowl run by one of the best marketing sports franchises in the world. It's a complete black hole!

And really?? revenge for a game 70% of the fan base has never heard of??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT