ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-New Brunswick will offer free or lower tuition for students whose families make less than $100K

“We’re competing for these students who would leave the state”

“We’re competing for these students who would leave the state”
Actually that's probably not true. Many of those students don't have an out of state alternative cheaper than Rutgers. But this is a good policy anyway because it will help aid upward mobility for students whose background is not prosperous. That is something public institutions always have done. Tuition is now so high that giving a tuition break to less economically fortunate students is the only way to accomplish the goal.

Actually that's probably not true. Many of those students don't have an out of state alternative cheaper than Rutgers. But this is a good policy anyway because it will help aid upward mobility for students whose background is not prosperous. That is something public institutions always have done. Tuition is now so high that giving a tuition break to less economically fortunate students is the only way to accomplish the goal.
Well yes. I don't know if it will work but I like the goal.

I have felt a big part of the out-of-state problem for RU was about affluent parents buying more status in their eyes with an middling non-public somewhere else. Not sticker price.

Agreed a public school should be lifting the bright but unfunded as part of its mission. The opposite will always find something.

Well yes. I don't know if it will work but I like the goal.

I have felt a big part of the out-of-state problem for RU was about affluent parents buying more status in their eyes with an middling non-public somewhere else. Not sticker price.

Agreed a public school should be lifting the bright but unfunded as part of its mission. The opposite will always find something.
The policy is certain to work. It will help some talented kids afford a college education without taking on untenable debt loads. That in itself justifies it without regard to whether it will affect the brain drain.

Any word if Rutgers Newark and/or Rutgers Camden are going to do this as well?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT