ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers returns to pre-pandemic bus routes for fall 2021 with several changes to stops

No more bus stop at the train station? Seems counterintuitive.

The article says George Street is closed...maybe they are still doing the program with restaurants using the street. My guess is that is part of the rationale. That and they mention there being other nearby stops, so I guess Scott Hall would qualify.

The fact that they will be using the old "lettered" routes (with reduced stops) instead of the new routes they were proposing with basically only 1 or 2 stops per campus is definitely a "win" - but the fact that buses will no longer stop at the train station is definitely questionable, especially considering that buses will still be driving right past the stop. I understand that the Scott Hall stop is nearby - but with the current routing, if coming from Cook/Douglass one would have to loop all the way around College Ave. before arriving at Scott Hall. On top of that, even if coming from Busch, many a time a bus will layover at the College Ave Gym for 15+ minutes - further delaying ones trip. Time will tell I suppose...

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The fact that they will be using the old "lettered" routes (with reduced stops) instead of the new routes they were proposing with basically only 1 or 2 stops per campus is definitely a "win" - but the fact that buses will no longer stop at the train station is definitely questionable, especially considering that buses will still be driving right past the stop. I understand that the Scott Hall stop is nearby - but with the current routing, if coming from Cook/Douglass one would have to loop all the way around College Ave. before arriving at Scott Hall. On top of that, even if coming from Busch, many a time a bus will layover at the College Ave Gym for 15+ minutes - further delaying ones trip. Time will tell I suppose...
Good points, though I never knew of a Busch-CAC route would provide direct access to a stop at the train station, Scott Hall was the closest you'd get on that route. So you had to either walk down CA from the RSC/Gym or you alighted quickly at RSC/Gym and got lucky enough to board another bus that was up in front and about to head down CA right away (thus avoiding the 15+ min. headway issue you mentioned) to then get off either at Scott (if a Busch/Liv route that was turning left onto Hamilton and back around to the River dorms before leaving CAC) or further up at the stop next to the train station, corner of Somerset & George (if a C/D route).

Good points, though I never knew of a Busch-CAC route would provide direct access to a stop at the train station, Scott Hall was the closest you'd get on that route. So you had to either walk down CA from the RSC/Gym or you alighted quickly at RSC/Gym and got lucky enough to board another bus that was up in front and about to head down CA right away (thus avoiding the 15+ min. headway issue you mentioned) to then get off either at Scott (if a Busch/Liv route that was turning left onto Hamilton and back around to the River dorms before leaving CAC) or further up at the stop next to the train station, corner of Somerset & George (if a C/D route).
My mistake - this is correct. I was extending the EE and F routes in my head as well as combining them with the REX-B and REX-L.

Reactions: RUnTeX

The article says George St is closed. I haven't been in that area since before COVID- do you know where the closure is?

The article says George St is closed. I haven't been in that area since before COVID- do you know where the closure is?
I'm guessing south of Albany/27 somewhere and down to Livingston perhaps?

In any case, I don't know that the closure would have to impact the train station stop in any way. Bus routes thru downtown running all the way up/down George would likely be able to detour over to Neilsen for that segment of George to bypass the closure.

In any case, I don't know that the closure would have to impact the train station stop in any way. Bus routes thru downtown running all the way up/down George would likely be able to detour over to Neilsen for that segment of George to bypass the closure.
This - the closure is from Albany to Bayard.

This - the closure is from Albany to Bayard.

If I remember correctly at least when I was in school, the F took George between CAC and Douglass and the EE took Route 18 from entrance by Clothier to New Street. So I think the F was the one that stopped by the train. Could it be the reroute no longer goes by the corner of Somerset and George? Only thing I can think of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT