ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Student Assembly votes to diversify the mascot- Mugrat?

200.gif

No one should be surprised by this. Diversity is one of the new religions of today's secular society.

Reactions: RUgrad75
I mean powerfully stupid....

The mascot is an abstraction it is not suppose to represent anything other than a knight which were all european other than a few Ultra rare ones.

Only the student section at the games are meant to represent the student body.

He's a Knight -- a figure from history. Knights were white men (OK, maybe some scholar will turn up an exception or two).

Should UMass consider a Minutewoman? MSU or Vandy come up with a black Spartan or an Asian Commodore?

Of course, the selection of a student to wear the costume should be unbiased -- male or female, black or white, Hispanic or Asian, whatever -- just the best person for the job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blindly against change or full recognition of the University's growing diversity. You can knock me for it, but the change in the Alma Mater lyrics was OK with me. There was a reason for that -- why should a female student have to sing about becoming a "Man".

But for this, no reason.

Reactions: RU22
Whether this was real or not, everybody keeps getting their panties in a bunch over proclamations and votes from bodies with absolutely no real power (RUSA and the RU Senate).

The obvious flaw here is that if they ever make the knight another race or ethnicity the new knight will be viewed as a racist caricature and will be protested against.

We will end up with this for a head instead of a face if this undergrad idea gets steam. There will not be multiple knights but 1 where you do not know what race, culture, or gender the person inside is.

487413.jpg

Dark skinned, transgendered,homosexual, Muslim should check all their boxes.
Maybe somewhere there is computer software that could take a family portrait of the Kardashian's and jumble it all up into one new mascot. That should get it done.

Does this mean West Point will have to have a White Knight of the Hudson?

This is the worst thing I've ever heard. Why do white people feel so friggen guilty about everything these days.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while...and I've seen a lot of dumb things. Could you imagine if the mascot was still the Queensmen or Chanticleers?!

They'd have to have the mascot wear a Freddie Mercury mask.

We all know how these things work. Someone makes the proposal. No one want to be "labeled" or seem like they're not enlightened so they vote for it. I'm betting many couldn't care less what the knight looks like.

Yep.

So, let's say they follow through on this, and they introduce diverse sidekicks for the Knight: Tonto, Kato, and Sambo. And for the next 4 years, the students who are in school will pride themselves on how diverse and open-minded they are. And for the 4 years after that, the students won't know how Tonto, Kato, and Sambo came about and they won't really care. And then 4 years after that, someone will point out that Tonto, Kato, and Sambo are really pretty offensive and they will start a movement to get rid of them. And all the students who went through school with Tonto, Kato, and Sambo will complain that those characters are part of the tradition of Rutgers, and how dare someone try to get rid of that tradition, and if Tonto, Kato, and Sambo aren't around then Rutgers won't see another dime out of them.

That's how these things work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT