ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Uconn 9PM ESPN2

Isn't it obvious Diana? Baylor, A&M, UNC, ND, Stanford, Tenn, Rutgers, etc have all had better teams than their current teams.I'm not insulting women's basketball. I'm just saying that except for SC...almost everyone has had a better team in the past decade. I am allowed to say that I think this is a "down" year for the sport.

Originally posted by mom'sthefan:
If there is a battle of the obnoxious, but skilled coaches, I think I root for Brenda. I found this whole game unbearable. If I didn't love my team and want to support them, I would have turned it off.
We'll have to differ on this one, but I still think the Terps don't get to play the Huskies this year.

The issue for womens basketball is that there is a clear demarcation between the elite programs and everybody else.Its no accident that Uconn,Notre Dame,Baylor,Tennesee,Maryland and Stanford are in the Sweet 16 every season because they have the best coaching and best players.To her credit Stringer knows she must recruit better players .

Even Brenda's team this year...is not on the same level as her championship team. Crystal, tolliver and company...were a step above in my view.

Originally posted by RU old timer:
Isn't it obvious Diana? Baylor, A&M, UNC, ND, Stanford, Tenn, Rutgers, etc have all had better teams than their current teams.I'm not insulting women's basketball. I'm just saying that except for SC...almost everyone has had a better team in the past decade. I am allowed to say that I think this is a "down" year for the sport.
It's not at all obvious. and I don't think you're "insulting" women's basketball, I just question what analysis you've done to determine this (and I know that I'm not alone here). ND is 31-2. Baylor is 30-3. not too shabby and certainly not "down" years.

Just out of curiosity, how many non-RU women's games have you watched this season?

Even Brenda's team this year...is not on the same level as her championship team. Crystal, tolliver and company...were a step above in my view.
Seriously? That was the luckiest national championship team since the Tar Heels (and one of the worst) - they won two games in OT in the tournament, and needed a dead-eye Utah shooter to miss free throws to survive on of them and a near-miracle Tolliver get to OT in the other one. Brenda had basically the same team the next year and went out in the 2nd round.

This is just my opinion Diana. I understand you disagree. I just think this is an off year. To me it is obvious. Maybe to you it is not. You disagree...that's fine. That's what we can do on this board...right? It is all about fans of the sport. I just think this year is an off year.

This is just my opinion Diana. I understand you disagree. I just think this is an off year. To me it is obvious. Maybe to you it is not. You disagree...that's fine. That's what we can do on this board...right? It is all about fans of the sport. I just think this year is an off year.
geez, why so defensive? anyway, you've yet to back up your assertion with any meaningful analysis, and I'm not the only one questioning it in this thread (although you seem to be ignoring the others). IMHO, there's a huge amount of women's bball talent out there this year.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:28 PM by dmd78

Diana, do you think that the A&M, Tenn, Stanford, Baylor, ND, Rutgers, Maryland, etc...that any of their teams that played in national championship games...were inferior or on equal level to their 2014-2015 teams? If you think so...that is your opinion.

Since coming on the board a short while ago, RU Old Timer has contributed a bunch of nonsensical posts, thinking it may be a troll from another school. Could be wrong but I'd ignore.

I have been wearing RU red for decades. I just think this is not a great year for the sport. I guess we must all feel the game is on the same level year after year.

Originally posted by knightfan2000:
Since coming on the board a short while ago, RU Old Timer has contributed a bunch of nonsensical posts, thinking it may be a troll from another school. Could be wrong but I'd ignore.
Exactly he seems to be one of those drive by trolls who only posts after losses & are no where to be found any other time, thank you IGNORE feature!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Wasn't promised the top rose from a rose garden, but had a chance to take a sniff of the rose garden and though disapointed,
proud of the team and coaches for getting that sniff.

To Coach Stringer, her staff and the players
party0012.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Trekology:
UConn hasn't been called for a foul in the 2nd half until the 5:53 mark.

This post was edited on 3/23 10:40 PM by Trekology
I stood up and gave the official who called that first 2nd half foul a standing O.

Originally posted by TRU2RU:

Originally posted by knightfan2000:
Exactly he seems to be one of those drive by trolls who only posts after losses & are no where to be found any other time, thank you IGNORE feature!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
there are a few of them on the football board as well. They do not watch the team all season but then comment on the team losing by 36 without having any semblance or grasp on why they lost by that much

This board should not be about personal attacks. It should be about discussing women's basketball...which I'm trying to do nationally with my this particular post. The post is not pro or anti RU. It is about the top teams this year in the tournament. Old timer

This board should not be about personal attacks. It should be about discussing women's basketball...which I'm trying to do nationally with my this particular post. The post is not pro or anti RU. It is about the top teams this year in the tournament. Old timer
To reply to your original points - and someone who follows the sport and watched a lot of games -

- as several have said, there is a HUGE gap between the top few teams, maybe 5 or 6, and the rest

- as you have sort of correctly identified - sort of - this could be considered an off year for a lot of teams. There are a number of good teams rebuilding and a number that have not been able to be consistent.

- All of that said, where you lose credibility is when you start talking about UConn. This is unquestionably one of the best UConn teams ever. I'm sorry, that isn't just my opinion, it isn't just fan opinions, it is also the opinion of lots of folks that are paid to comment on these things throughout the season, on a variety of platforms.

No team is perfect, and neither is this UConn team, but, gosh, they are absolutely among the best.

Originally posted by RUgrad:
I think this could be the best UConn team. Stewart and Lewis together are unstoppable. Shooting, dribbling, driving, they are questionably the two best players in the nation.

+1
This year's UConn squad is the best women's college basketball team that I've ever seen.

Originally posted by Kbee3:
Originally posted by RUgrad:
I think this could be the best UConn team. Stewart and Lewis together are unstoppable. Shooting, dribbling, driving, they are questionably the two best players in the nation.

+1
This year's UConn squad is the best women's college basketball team that I've ever seen.
Can't disagree with this statement. All their players can shoot the three (including KML who will likely break the NCAA record shortly). They all are lightning fast and move well without the ball to create easy lay ups. They can rebound and defend as well as any previous UConn team. No shame to lose to this team who have only once won a game by less than 20 all year.

They're really, really good, but I look at the 2002 team - Bird, Taurasi, Cash - and think it probably was better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT