Plum prediction :
Michigan 34, rutgers 7

Result
Michigan 31, rutgers 7

Plum prediction
Rutgers 52, wagner 0

Result
Rutgers 52, wagner 3

Plum has been great. Hopefully wrong this week and rutgers wins !
I think Plum is Donald Trump :-)

I think Rutgers defense is good enough to win, and the offense is just good enough to win too, but the game plan would have to be executed perfectly with no turnovers. Being at their place, it will be pretty tough.

Don't take anything this guy says seriously. Earlier in the year he said that our team would be in pick 'em games against most FCS schools.
He is on my ignore list for a reason, but every once in a while I still look at what he says when someone else quotes him. I know I usually shouldn't bother doing that.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
Don't take anything this guy says seriously. Earlier in the year he said that our team would be in pick 'em games against most FCS schools.
I’m living rent free in Colby’s head. The guy who said we would absolutely never be so lame as to schedule Wagner twice.

Again, not a Vegas pickem which is based on public perception more than real analysis. I did say that bc the offense was weak. It still is. How does Wimsatt’s production compare to other FBS/FCS starters?

The defense is better than I thought, so now I do think we’d beat most FCS.

Anyhow, what would have been the reaction here if I predicted Wimsatt would throw for 46 against VT ? The same reaction as some on this 60 prediction. My prediction of TDs and yards vs Wagner was spot on.

Last edited:
I’m living free in Colby’s head. The guy who said we would absolutely never be so lame to schedule Wagner twice.

Again, not a Vegas pickem which is based on public perception more than real analysis. I did say that bc the offense was weak. It still is. How does Wimsatt compare to other FBS/FCS starters?

The defense is better than I thought, so now I do think we’d beat most FCS.

Anyhow, what would have been the reaction here if I predicted Wimsatt would throw for 46 against VT ? The same reaction as some on this 60 prediction. My prediction of TDs and yards vs Wagner was spot on.
He pretty much falls in the middle- same with the B1G. and not sure how much his 4 TDs running the ball even puts him a little higher.
There are a handfull of B1G QB's that are only a few yards more than him but they have a much worse TD/INT plus sacks ratio.
And a few with quite a bit more yds but also a much worse TD/INT and sacks.

But you are an intelligent football guy. you already knew this. I am sure you are not one of those ignorant idiots that thinks yards per game and completion % are the only stats to look at...

He is not going to be asked to throw the ball 25+ times a game. That is not the plan this year. So- he is doing what he has been tasked to do and he is doing it well.

Unconvinced. 46 against VT at home. Unlikely to get much more on the road against a much better team.

Plus, UW is almost certain to lead in time of possession. You can’t pass from the sideline.

I think 60 isn’t unreasonable, especially with a HC who’d rather not throw at all and whose primary goal is to avoid turnovers.
We didn't need to throw against VT at home. Different game, different result.

You see, that’s Schiano’s fatal flaw. You can’t assume ‘don’t need to throw’. An opponent can adjust/be successful late after you wasted the early part of the game not scoring all you can.

Schiano would be content with a 7-3 halftime lead, conservative playcalling, and then fall behind 17-7 and only then pass more to move the chains and score. Never waste possessions. But with a lead he does exactly that. Scoring early is just as important as scoring late.

He ‘d rather leave it to his defense to keep a lead instead of increasing a lead, and that’s why defense-minded HCs are usually less successful.

Every game is different. He threw for 180 yards though in the one game we needed to throw in so far. We won all the others by 3+ scores.

I was surprised we didn’t throw screen passes vs. Wagner. Tells me they probably won’t be a big part of the play book for a while. But that doesn’t mean Gavin can’t complete a few big plays down field. Ridiculous assessment to conclude that based on passing output in games we won big.

Every game is different. He threw for 180 yards though in the one game we needed to throw in so far. We won all the others by 3+ scores.

I was surprised we didn’t throw screen passes vs. Wagner. Tells me they probably won’t be a big part of the play book for a while. But that doesn’t mean Gavin can’t complete a few big plays down field. Ridiculous assessment to conclude that based on passing output in games we won big.
Disagree. One benefit of playing down is for player development. The idea isn’t just to do what you already can. Open the playbook more, as they say.

It’s either troubling or misguided that they didn’t.

Maybe I’ll be wrong and he throws for 100. I’ll own it. But if he throws for closer to 60 don’t come back with ‘but it would have been 200 if…’ bs.

Disagree. One benefit of playing down is for player development. The idea isn’t just to do what you already can. Open the playbook more, as they say.

It’s either troubling or misguided that they didn’t.

Didn’t help Evan much last year did it? He looked like a stud out there last year with his reps against Wagner.

Our coaches approached this game differently from you. Gavin ran the offense for 8 series. With only 1:20 to go and a big lead, not throwing the football was the classy thing to do on the last drive before halftime. On the first drive following half we returned the kick off to the Wagner 7 yard line. Again, not much opportunity for dazzling pass attempts.

So the reality is Gavin only had 6 other series to work with and the priority to our staff on 3 of them obviously was to get Brown and Benjamin some reps. Seemed like they also wanted to restore Kyle’s confidence following Michigan so they made sure he got in a flow on his drives. I’d have liked to see some screen passes mixed in, but Bowman did get his first reception. You might’ve taken a different approach, but that doesn’t mean the schemes we chose to run didn’t have a purpose.

He pretty much falls in the middle- same with the B1G. and not sure how much his 4 TDs running the ball even puts him a little higher.
There are a handfull of B1G QB's that are only a few yards more than him but they have a much worse TD/INT plus sacks ratio.
And a few with quite a bit more yds but also a much worse TD/INT and sacks.

But you are an intelligent football guy. you already knew this. I am sure you are not one of those ignorant idiots that thinks yards per game and completion % are the only stats to look at...

He is not going to be asked to throw the ball 25+ times a game. That is not the plan this year. So- he is doing what he has been tasked to do and he is doing it well.
I totally disagree 46 yards passing was merely due to 'game circumstances". But regardless of the circumstances that was the passing total.

But yes, without realizing it you're making the same point. To a large extent QB metrics don't take philosophy/system/surrounding talent into account. I never blamed Wimsatt for the 46 yards vs VT. My 1 passing TD prediction v Wagner wasn't only a reflection on him. I am not predicting 60 yards v Wisconsin strictly due to his talent.

My predictions are based mostly on the HC's philosophy and overall team performance. 60 is my prediction taking everything into account. The box score will prove me right or wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: DontGetAngry
You see, that’s Schiano’s fatal flaw. You can’t assume ‘don’t need to throw’. An opponent can adjust/be successful late after you wasted the early part of the game not scoring all you can.

Schiano would be content with a 7-3 halftime lead, conservative playcalling, and then fall behind 17-7 and only then pass more to move the chains and score. Never waste possessions. But with a lead he does exactly that. Scoring early is just as important as scoring late.

He ‘d rather leave it to his defense to keep a lead instead of increasing a lead, and that’s why defense-minded HCs are usually less successful.
Or, he would use his game plan to actually beat VaTech…you are now trying to change history to make a point?

Didn’t help Evan much last year did it? He looked like a stud out there last year with his reps against Wagner.

Our coaches approached this game differently from you. Gavin ran the offense for 8 series. With only 1:20 to go and a big lead, not throwing the football was the classy thing to do on the last drive before halftime. On the first drive following half we returned the kick off to the Wagner 7 yard line. Again, not much opportunity for dazzling pass attempts.

So the reality is Gavin only had 6 other series to work with and the priority to our staff on 3 of them obviously was to get Brown and Benjamin some reps. Seemed like they also wanted to restore Kyle’s confidence following Michigan so they made sure he got in a flow on his drives. I’d have liked to see some screen passes mixed in, but Bowman did get his first reception. You might’ve taken a different approach, but that doesn’t mean the schemes we chose to run didn’t have a purpose.
Fair points. Can't disagree. But everyone here, myself included, expected increased emphasis on passing game development. For whatever reason, Schiano had other ideas.

Fair points. Can't disagree. But everyone here, myself included, expected increased emphasis on passing game development. For whatever reason, Schiano had other ideas.

I expected (hoped to see) more screen passes. Verticals and big shots down field against Wagner are meaningless one way or the other. I understand not bothering with them - especially with it being a local rival and we probably didn’t want to run up the score too much. The one screen pass we attempted was the TD called back on a penalty. Tells me Kirk isn’t ready to make that a major part of Gavin’s game yet so he didn’t focus on it.

Reactions: Shelby65
I expected (hoped to see) more screen passes. Verticals and big shots down field against Wagner are meaningless one way or the other. I understand not bothering with them - especially with it being a local rival and we probably didn’t want to run up the score too much. The one screen pass we attempted was the TD called back on a penalty. Tells me Kirk isn’t ready to make that a major part of Gavin’s game yet so he didn’t focus on it.
How about involving the TEs ? Not in the playbook ?

It's so annoying that out of 7 possible opponents from the Big 10 West, two out of the three games we get are against the #1 and #2 best teams. This would have been a really good year to have Minnesota or Nebraska instead of Wisconsin.

It would be a huge win, and take some pressure off of having to beat both MSU and Indiana, but I don't like our chances.

How about involving the TEs ? Not in the playbook ?
He ran a play for Bowman. Our TEs are used mostly for blocking and doing a good job. We surely haven’t opened the play book fully and they might be used for a few surprise plays here and there but again - that was never going to be a huge part of our game so it’s splitting hairs to be upset that we didn’t attempt more of it against overmatched Wagner. Good to see Bowman get his first reception. Monkey off the back.

I wish Gavin was ready to throw more crisp screen passes to our RBs in situations where that’s not the intended plan A and he’s adjusting. The screen passes have gone for big plays at a high rate the few times we’ve executed them. But all we’re designed plays so far. The one with the penalty looked good in terms of his ball speed (despite point of release being in the illegal zone)

UW 38
RU 17

Close game until we run into 3 and out woes in the second half.

Wisky homecoming.. off a bye week.. they will have some special plays (flea-flickerish) and they will work because the D is going to be hyped to bite.

I'd love to "predict" a W... but "W" is Wisconsin's thing... it's right on their helmets!

Wisconsin 27, Rutgers 23 in a good one.

Wisconsin 28
Rutgers 10

The last two weeks plum predictions:

Plum prediction :
Michigan 34, rutgers 7

Result
Michigan 31, rutgers 7

Plum prediction
Rutgers 52, wagner 0

Result
Rutgers 52, wagner 3

Plum has been great. Hopefully wrong this week and rutgers wins !
What about VTech and Northwestern? Hmm.. suspicious.. "Plum" predicted L's for Rutgers, didn't "Plum"?

Reactions: thegock
What about VTech and Northwestern? Hmm.. suspicious.. "Plum" predicted L's for Rutgers, didn't "Plum"?

Stop lying .
Use the search feature

Legend definition
an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.

Plum isn’t a legendary poster for nothing

Last edited:
Shelby likes analogies.

We are 4-1 throwing 75 mph fastballs. Can the offense throw 90 mph when it needs to ?

Or is 75 the limit of our offense ?

We will see starting on Saturday. Shelby is pessimistic. He thinks it’s the latter, that we’ve already seen the GS gas pedal floored and he prefers driving a 1985 Cadillac Cimarron 4 banger (second analogy) because it’s fuel efficient with an 8 yr warranty ($32M).

Hope Shelby is wrong.

Reactions: DontGetAngry
I only take my predictions from a talking dog.

Where is that pooch anyway?

Rutgers Scarlet Knights 92

Wisconsin Badgers 3

As always, I reserve the right to modify my prediction as we get closer to game time.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT