ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Soccer vs. Hofstra / Sun., Aug. 20 at 7 p.m. at Yurcak Field

Hofstra packing the box so it would have been nice to bury that one from Girman

Another poor and sloppy effort which led to an 88th minute goal by Hofstra on a counter which was played miserably by the keeper. She scored from like 40 yards out. Going to be a long season if things don’t change. Too many lazy passes and touches, with no one being able to finish.

Reactions: ScarletDave
This team is gonna go one and done again because they refuse to play some semblance of a cohesive offensive unit. O'Neill won't get heat for it after 2 Final Four runs but this team is average when they don't have multiple scoring threats. I bet the men's team has a better overall season.

Honestly, like why does every sport seemingly at this school suck at offense outside of maybe men's lacrosse? Offense is sexy and how sports are won in 2023. Being bad is one thing, but being bad and boring is quite another.

What an AWFUL loss. This guy is the GS of women’s s soccer: ZERO OFFENSE.
We have the same team as last year plus Georgetown leading scorer added to the offense and we have no offense
This is a continuation of the second half of last season where we couldn’t put the ball in the net
I have been saying for a few years that he needs an offensive assistant and stop playing such a defensive style now maybe people will listen
Side note I am away and didn’t see the game but will try and watch the replay on Big+

Reactions: biazza38
Gia Girman is fast and does a lot of things right, so not fair to pick on her, BUT man does she seem to miss a lot of wide open shots. Last year and then again tonight, same story. Great that she has the skills to get into good position to even receive the ball in such great position, but just cannot finish for anything

We have the same team as last year plus Georgetown leading scorer added to the offense and we have no offense
This is a continuation of the second half of last season where we couldn’t put the ball in the net
I have been saying for a few years that he needs an offensive assistant and stop playing such a defensive style now maybe people will listen
Side note I am away and didn’t see the game but will try and watch the replay on Big+
I’m sure there’s one poster who is going to bash me and defend coach but it’s very obvious with the problem is!!!

I don't buy that Kroeger being out is the problem. She had only 1 goal and 3 assists in the final 12 games last season which are the games that Rutgers struggled to score. She is a very good player but even with her, Rutgers only scored 15 goals in those 12 games. I should also add that the last goal scored from a sub was on 9/1 last year in the 7-0 rout of Temple. Since 9/1 last year there has been only 1 assist from a sub- vs LSU so there was no scoring from the bench from the star of the Big Ten season.

I don't buy that Kroeger being out is the problem. She had only 1 goal and 3 assists in the final 12 games last season which are the games that Rutgers struggled to score. She is a very good player but even with her, Rutgers only scored 15 goals in those 12 games. I should also add that the last goal scored from a sub was on 9/1 last year in the 7-0 rout of Temple. Since 9/1 last year there has been only 1 assist from a sub- vs LSU so there was no scoring from the bench from the star of the Big Ten season.
She led the team in points last year and does a very good job of controlling the midfield. Will be a welcome boost when she returns to the lineup soon.

Gia Girman is fast and does a lot of things right, so not fair to pick on her, BUT man does she seem to miss a lot of wide open shots. Last year and then again tonight, same story. Great that she has the skills to get into good position to even receive the ball in such great position, but just cannot finish for anything
Don't think it's fair to call out individual players. Whole team lost today. Hofstra beat them to every spot and still Rutgers played pretty solid overall. Just couldn't finish. On to the next.

Reading your posts is akin to a root canal.

Teams have made adjustments to how RU plays. You could see it last year after the Ohio State game. They also lack the elite scorer and playmakers that they had a few seasons ago.

Do you buy Mason being injured as well as a problem.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
This team is gonna go one and done again because they refuse to play some semblance of a cohesive offensive unit. O'Neill won't get heat for it after 2 Final Four runs but this team is average when they don't have multiple scoring threats. I bet the men's team has a better overall season.
I just don't understand WHY he refuses to bring in an offensive-minded assistant coach and LET THEM COACH the offense. It's mind-numbing how "basic" we play with the ball.

Kroeger still out for a few more games. You all need to relax.

Turn the page. Time for NC State.
That’s no excuse to lose to Hofstra at home. It’s a bad loss. We should be able to easily absorb any starter out and best Hofstra.

There were slightly above .500 last year and had a losing conference record. Their recruiting isn’t near RIs. A virtual cupcake. We have 1 goal in two games against very mediocre comp. After the struggles last year there is reason for concern. It’s s continuation of the same issues.

Don't think it's fair to call out individual players. Whole team lost today. Hofstra beat them to every spot and still Rutgers played pretty solid overall. Just couldn't finish. On to the next.
True, it was a team effort in a loss. But Girman had the most chances (I counted 4), including a point blank chance, and failed to convert.

That’s no excuse to lose to Hofstra at home. It’s a bad loss. We should be able to easily absorb any starter out and best Hofstra.

There were slightly above .500 last year and had a losing conference record. Their recruiting isn’t near RIs. A virtual cupcake. We have 1 goal in two games against very mediocre comp. After the struggles last year there is reason for concern. It’s s continuation of the same issues.
Nobody posts more drivel on these boards than you.

Reactions: UMRU and Loyal-Son
Can’t make an argument for his idiotic posts so goes lamely goes the personal route.

The “just move on guy”. It’s clear you never played sports at any real level. That’s the response of a real amateur.

I don’t even recognize your screen name so can’t tell you if I’ve ever read even one of your posts. You’re irrelevant. But thanks to paying such close attention to mine.

Can’t make an argument for his idiotic posts so goes lamely goes the personal route.

The “just move on guy”. It’s clear you never played sports at any real level. That’s the response of a real amateur.

I don’t even recognize your screen name so can’t tell you if I’ve ever read even one of your posts. You’re irrelevant. But thanks to paying such close attention to mine.
Of the people that responded in this thread I've been the only one that's been in the building for both games.

And if you want to talk about irrelevance - go look at the guy that talks to themselves on the CE board. You can find him in the mirror too.

I talk to myself there lol? Not only are you irrelevant, you’re a liar.

Sounds like you watched a lot of sports but never played them. Just as I suspected.

I’m not buying this either. When Kroeger isn’t on the field we just seem to play like a different team. Whether she’s scoring or piling up points, to lead the team earlier or later in the season, makes no difference. She’s an absolute spark plug out there.

Still an awful ****ing loss, no matter how you look at!

Last edited:
I wasn’t asking you and I’ll go wherever I want and post whatever I want. Not sure who you think you are but go f yourself. Thanks.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
I wasn’t asking you and I’ll go wherever I want and post whatever I want. Not sure who you think you are but go f yourself. Thanks.
When you have to tell someone to go f themselves you really have no point. Embarrassing behavior from you.

I don't follow the team closely but after seeing that they lost this game with the same roster (minus the goalie) that went to the final 4 last year, I had to come and read this thread.

Is it possible that this is akin to our men's '21-'22 basketball team, coming off the first NCAA win in forever, laying eggs left and right to start the season because they weren't "up" for playing mediocre competition?

I don't follow the team closely but after seeing that they lost this game with the same roster (minus the goalie) that went to the final 4 last year, I had to come and read this thread.

Is it possible that this is akin to our men's '21-'22 basketball team, coming off the first NCAA win in forever, laying eggs left and right to start the season because they weren't "up" for playing mediocre competition?
They went to the Final 4 two years ago, not last year. Last year the team suffered a humiliating Round 1 loss to Brown.

They went to the Final 4 two years ago, not last year. Last year the team suffered a humiliating Round 1 loss to Brown.
Oh OK thanks. So even with the addition of Riley Tiernen, they aren't as good since Amirah Ali left? Losing the best goalie in the country certainly doesn't help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT