ADVERTISEMENT

Some revisionist history …but maybe this should have been expected with all the new faces ?

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
New faces (6)
Fernandes
Williams
Williams
Gavib
Jmike
Ogoble

Didn’t play (1)
Chol

Limited minutes last year
Palmquist
Wolfolk

Only Simpson , mag, Hyatt and cliff played 20 mpg here and mag isn’t here

I guess we should have expected this thing to need time to get going with so many new faces …need time to mesh

Question is …will it?

Someone does need to step up and be the leader …it’s that obvious ….

New faces (6)
Fernandes
Williams
Williams
Gavib
Jmike
Ogoble

Didn’t play (1)
Chol

Palmquist
Wolfolk

I guess we should have expected this thing to need time to get going with so many new faces …need time to mesh

Question is …will it?

That's a big part. What I'm possibly even more surprised at is the lack of rebounding which is such a staple of Pike's teams.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Some of the other big ten teams are almost unrecognizable from last year…Minny, Michigan, and Penn State come to mind ..and they look way better than us. Roster turnover is the new normal…it’s affecting most teams. Why are we so lost relative to others?

Last edited:
There is one other tall part that I dont think any of us saw it coming. Maybe we would have been OK provided we had a nucleus, backbone of the team. Someone at times would put his team on his back….put up TJD stats from last year.

Reactions: kcg88
New faces (6)
Fernandes
Williams
Williams
Gavib
Jmike
Ogoble

Didn’t play (1)
Chol

Palmquist
Wolfolk

Question is …will it?

We don’t play defense or rebound Shack.
Step up?
Only Mag could possibly change the dynamic

Step up?
I do think mag helps glue the defense and rebounding, but right now …I don’t see someone on the court to settle things down to get the team back on track

Think it needs to be #0….but I think he needs to get the coaches confidence on defense and toughness to earn that right …

We have one player who is a big ten starter at this stage of their careers. It’s a rebuild and gonna be a long year.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Step up?
Mag changes the defense rebounding toughness and adds experience

The guard play needs to be so much better. Look at Noah Simpson Gavin JMike and Williams tonight. They all stunk. Can't win if no one plays well in the backcourt

Mag had about 5 really good games before his injury. Before that, he was bitched about as much as Hyatt. His loss destroyed our chemistry and cost us an NCAA bid. His presence will help..especially with rebounding and D but anyone who thinks him coming off and injury is going to right this ship is kidding themselves. Our main weaknesses (among others) is our guard play vs other teams guards and Cliff’s dissappearnce. We thought we had replacements for Cam and Mulcahy in Noah and Simpson..and they are not even close.

If the excuse now is the number of new faces, what happens next season with five new freshmen?The answer better be that they have the skillset to play at a high level right away.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
If the excuse now is the number of new faces, what happens next season with five new freshmen?The answer better be that they have the skillset to play at a high level right away.
Just because one set of freshmen need time to develop doesn't mean the next isn't going to be more ready to perform. Each season is unique and different.

Reactions: cm_13
This teams ceiling is NIT. Not sure how people didn't see that coming this summer with the departures and arrivals.

Maybe part of it was out of Pike’s control, but this year’s roster is poorly constructed. We are too small and don’t have enough shooters. Hyatt was never capable of being our primary option on offense. Our rebounding has been terrible, and is highly unlikely to improve as our schedule gets tougher. We don’t help ourselves on offense with too much iso ball and little being done to free up our players for easier shots. We had three months to get ready for the season, and 8 games in we still look completely disjointed. It will be a long season . . .

Just because one set of freshmen need time to develop doesn't mean the next isn't going to be more ready to perform. Each season is unique and different.
That’s the difference between top 50ish guys and top 5 guys.

I do think mag helps glue the defense and rebounding, but right now …I don’t see someone on the court to settle things down to get the team back on track

Think it needs to be #0….but I think he needs to get the coaches confidence on defense and toughness to earn that right …
Derek has been a huge disappointment this season. He had a good game against Howard, but he has not shot the ball well and has 1 assist over our last 3 games.

we dont know who to play at the 4. Mag playing 26 minutes would take minutes away from players who frankly are playing too much now

I think a lot of people actually were being realists and did expect us to be a step down from last year.

Just not this many steps down.
Sweet Bro And Hella Jeff Stairs GIF

Mag had about 5 really good games before his injury. Before that, he was bitched about as much as Hyatt. His loss destroyed our chemistry and cost us an NCAA bid. His presence will help..especially with rebounding and D but anyone who thinks him coming off and injury is going to right this ship is kidding themselves. Our main weaknesses (among others) is our guard play vs other teams guards and Cliff’s dissappearnce. We thought we had replacements for Cam and Mulcahy in Noah and Simpson..and they are not even close.
What’s our record since Mag went out?

DENIAL. Princeton is a damn good team. Probably sweet 16.
ANGER. Wtf is Pike trying to lose PLAY GaVIN
BARGAINING. If we can just get Mag back we can be a goid team
DEPRESSION. Just read a game thread
ACCEPTANCE. This

• Sad
DENIAL. Princeton is a damn good team. Probably sweet 16.
ANGER. Wtf is Pike trying to lose PLAY GaVIN
BARGAINING. If we can just get Mag back we can be a goid team
DEPRESSION. Just read a game thread
ACCEPTANCE. This
Or is it board capitulation leading to surprise turnaround bounce back win? I think we are there

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT