ADVERTISEMENT

spring game attendance by team

I would like to see attendance eclipse the 21,000 from 2013. Anything in the 20's is respectable. Louisville at 23k, Florida at 21k, plenty of SEC teams in the teens. Some other notables from the chart in the story:

Pitt 5,325
Sarah 4,000
UConn 3,500
Miami 3,500

Originally posted by Queztastic:
I would like to see attendance eclipse the 21,000 from 2013. Anything in the 20's is respectable. Louisville at 23k, Florida at 21k, plenty of SEC teams in the teens. Some other notables from the chart in the story:

Miami 3,500[/B]
Wow! That is more than most home games.

Great to see the top 3 teams are all B1G Teams for Spring Game attendance.

I think we will top Minnesota 's 10k attendance.

I would love to see 40K that would issue a big statement to the NJ revruits. I know it's not going to happen but would love to see it none the less

One thing I would like to know. Does OSU pocket the money or does it go to charity? To me it would be a good way to help fund some of these projects for facility upgrades

As an adder they are probably making $1Million just on tickets alone if they do not open the concession stands. $5 general admission $20 reserved. I bet the whole lower bowl are reserved.

Originally posted by Queztastic:
I would like to see attendance eclipse the 21,000 from 2013. Anything in the 20's is respectable.
I doubt that's gonna happen being on a Friday night.

Friday night is going to kill attendance. Spring game is meant for families and kids...
I know its for TV, but the consequence will be a much smaller than normal crowd.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

From people I've spoke to, both alumni and just general fans of the program in the area, the spring game being on friday night has made it "the thing to do" instead of just being some lazy event on a saturday afternoon.

I think we'll approach the upper teens but could hit 20k if people that have kids bring them along...the saturday afternoon starts are a crap shoot with high school sports and kids playing Little League baseball,softball, soccer, lacrosse etc. so we'll see...It looks like the weather will be pretty good...anyway let the games begin.... Go Rutgers!!!

Originally posted by RM60:
Maryland had a few thousand. Doesn't say much for the appeal of their program with their fan base.
Yeah, not on the list, but I saw this comment in the SBNation Blog:

"Everyone was in the lower bowl, either in the closed end of "U" or on
the Tower side of the field. It looked like about 3000 or less, as a
rough guess. There were some high school football players present.
Duane Haskins was supposedly there. I did not see him and am not sure I
would recognize him anyway."

Other comments have them counting on Haskins bringing the TE Upshur with him.

Maryland Spring Game Recap

Impressive number by Louisville. I'm not sure of the effect of a Friday night on our spring game. In the past it depended a lot on weather. The Friday night thing is pretty unique and would be cool if we get a good crowd. I hope we do because it would really help perception with the recruits in attendance.

I've gone to so many spring games I can't remember the number. I was there for the Alumni Game where our team
lost. Well a few years ago I decided I wouldn't to to any more spring games because I always left with questions.
Is our Offense that good or is our Defense that bad.? Or is our Offense that bad and our Defense that good?
The best part of the Spring Game for me was an afternoon of tailgating pre-game. A night game for me is a negative.
I'm not going again this year so that may hurt the attendance a bit. However my Son will be there taking my place
and bringing his wife and 3 kids. So, bottom line, attendance will be up a net 4 bodies.

Impressive number by Louisville. I'm not sure of the effect of a Friday night on our spring game. In the past it depended a lot on weather. The Friday night thing is pretty unique and would be cool if we get a good crowd. I hope we do because it would really help perception with the recruits in attendance.

Have you guys always had your game on Friday night ? Do you believe this helps or hindes your attendance figires in your part of the country ?

Originally posted by Rutgers25:
Friday night is going to kill attendance. Spring game is meant for families and kids...
I know its for TV, but the consequence will be a much smaller than normal crowd.
I don't know if I subscribe to this. Saturdays were always hard for kids because of baseball and soccer. I'm bringing a family of 4 that would never go to a sat game. Also think you make see more students.

Originally posted by R1950:

Have you guys always had your game on Friday night ? Do you believe this helps or hinders your attendance figures in your part of the country ?
No.

I only recall Saturday afternoon games.

I believe having it on a Friday night was BTN/B1G decision, yes?

Originally posted by e5fdny:
Originally posted by R1950:

Have you guys always had your game on Friday night ? Do you believe this helps or hinders your attendance figures in your part of the country ?
No.

I only recall Saturday afternoon games.

I believe having it on a Friday night was BTN/B1G decision, yes?
Yep, because we're being broadcast on the BTN, it was moved to Friday night.

Does anyone have an idea how the Friday night is going to influence student attendance? I know when me and a few friends were still in school (all big sports fans), we never went to the spring game because it was one of many things to do on Rutgers Day. Granted most of us are graduated now but we're all going this year with it essentially being the kick-off to Rutgers Day/Alumni weekend.

Originally posted by vkj91:

Originally posted by Rutgers25:
I don't know if I subscribe to this. Saturdays were always hard for kids because of baseball and soccer. I'm bringing a family of 4 that would never go to a sat game. Also think you make see more students.
This.
Friday night should mean more students. As I recall the Saturday Spring games drew very few students if any.
Also not conflicting with the Rutgers Day on Saturday should help as well.

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Most adults work and are less likely to rush around to attend a night game devoid of tailgating
Yep, in the case of many of my tailgate, outside of taking the day off, we have a significant commute home, followed by a significant trip to the stadium. For a glorified scrimmage.

Game time will not move the attendance needle. The number of people who show up Friday would be extremely similar to attendance if it were Saturday.

I'm guessing a few thousand less for this Friday night game, than the saturday day game the years before.

The biggest surprise to me in that whole list was Notre Dame.... listed as only having 3,590 butts in the seats.
On the list, they appear one spot below Syracuse and one spot above Uconn

This post was edited on 4/19 6:12 PM by slyker

Originally posted by slyker:
The biggest surprise to me in that whole list was Notre Dame.... listed as only having 3,590 butts in the seats.

100,000 front runners, many of which don't know what state ND is located in. Not surprising to me.

ND is having renovations at their stadium and had to move the game to a practice field, and that's all they could fit in

Originally posted by slyker:

Originally posted by RUsojo:
Game time will not move the attendance needle. The number of people who show up Friday would be extremely similar to attendance if it were Saturday.
This is surprising to me. A Saturday afternoon game would allow for a lot more family activities to boost attendance IMO. PSU did some really good things this past weekend (all-sports equipment sale at Pegula, carnival games, food and attractions at Holuba) but the inside the stadium stuff wasn't good. They had separate lines to get autographs from defensive or offensive players and barely got anyone through. They also didn't have the field open for wandering or kids running. It used to be an open field and players spread out at tables throughout the field. Even if you didn't want autographs you could take your kids out and let them run the turf. Recruits would also be meandering which would lead to people asking them for their signature, which would give them an ego boost. Didn't like the in stadium experience at all this year.

I expect a few thousand less on a Friday night, as I just see less people going out of their way to go to a scrimmage on a Friday night, after a long week of work, than on Saturday afternoon. I also think the weather will also be a factor, as people would rather sit in 55-60F with some warm sunshine than in 45-50F at night. So, I'll guess 15K instead of the 20K or so we've had the past few years. Even 15K is respectable as only 15 programs have attendance above 20K and 22 programs above 10K, so far.

Article from the days after our 2014 Spring game:

'There were 11,500 fans at the Scarlet-White game on Saturday, which ranked Rutgers seventh in the 14-team conference. There were 21,000 fans at last year's Scarlet-White game. Rutgers averaged 18,627 fans at the previous five spring games.
Part of the decline in attendance can be attributed to a forecast that called for rain to start around the 4 p.m. kickoff time. It's also possible that some fan enthusiasm was dampened by the teams' disappointing finish last season."

This figure of 11, 500 was good for 7th in the Big10

LINK

I wouldn't mind if they added an optional 10 or 20 to the season ticket price for a spring game ticket, especially if it was done as a fundraiser for something other then football. Attendees would be supporting the team and a cause and would broaden the appeal of an otherwise meaningless game. having a ticket in advance might encourage people to go, even if same day entry was a suggested but not required donation. The team does things with Special Olympics every summer, and that might be a fit, but it could be anything, or something different every year.

Add me to the list of those noting that Friday night is better for those with kids. Mine are young, and don't stay the whole game anyway. No tee balll conflicts on Friday night and they can stay up until 9 and fall asleep on the drive home. No problem!

Pitt played their spring game at Highmark Stadiium in Station Square.

Included in the announced attendance of 5325- a standing only crowd- were many of Pitt's former football players including

Larry Fitzgerald, Aaron Donald, Curtis Martin, LeSean McCoy, Bill Fralic, Jimbo Covert, Rod Rutherford and many others.

Actually a very nice spring game experience for those in attendance.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT